Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3073319 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38456: Jun 05, 2016 09:29:34 pm
      Really, quoting stuff from the shitrag...

First link I picked after reading it in paper ... just to post what he said ... this better ?
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/04/roy-keane-ireland-foreign-owner-euro-2016
      If not, find one you like...

Am only interested in what he said ... and how the manc comments reminded me of some stuff on here...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38457: Jun 05, 2016 09:59:08 pm
      First link I picked after reading it in paper ... just to post what he said ... this better ?
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/04/roy-keane-ireland-foreign-owner-euro-2016
      If not, find one you like...

Am only interested in what he said ... and how the manc comments reminded me of some stuff on here...

Much better and I'd suggest you remove the first link for obvious reasons.

In terms of what Keane said I think he's spot on, image is a huge part of the business and I think you'd be foolish to think that having a more 'polished' look wouldn't give someone an advantage, however small.

From my perspective it was the classic mid-life crisis, younger woman, teeth whitening, flashy car (even though it was provided by the club), fake tan. It screams it, look how his unveiling at Celtic was reported, the teeth took a front and centre position on that and some of it was really funny. If your mate got that done you'd also rip him to the ground and without doubt you'd make a judgement based upon it.

We all have an opinion on Jürgen's image too, he's one of the lads, he's into his beer, into religion, doesn't care as much for his image but still carries it off with a bit of swagger and puts his passion on the line. You're telling me people aren't making judgements based on that too, calling Brendan out for going through a mid-life crisis and mocking some of the symptoms of that really was just a small proportion of people and very few occasions but to hear how the Brendanistas moan on about it was as if you were mocking a scar on his face or ripping into a disability of the fella, it's so disproportionate it's just become hilarious now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #38458: Jun 05, 2016 10:19:22 pm

In terms of what Keane said I think he's spot on, image is a huge part of the business and I think you'd be foolish to think that having a more 'polished' look wouldn't give someone an advantage, however small.

From my perspective it was the classic mid-life crisis, younger woman, teeth whitening, flashy car (even though it was provided by the club), fake tan. It screams it, look how his unveiling at Celtic was reported, the teeth took a front and centre position on that and some of it was really funny. If your mate got that done you'd also rip him to the ground and without doubt you'd make a judgement based upon it.

We all have an opinion on Jürgen's image too, he's one of the lads, he's into his beer, into religion, doesn't care as much for his image but still carries it off with a bit of swagger and puts his passion on the line. You're telling me people aren't making judgements based on that too, calling Brendan out for going through a mid-life crisis and mocking some of the symptoms of that really was just a small proportion of people and very few occasions but to hear how the Brendanistas moan on about it was as if you were mocking a scar on his face or ripping into a disability of the fella, it's so disproportionate it's just become hilarious now.

Actually having a go at Brendan for the reasons you posted is a symptom of an insecure, jealous and feeble person. It's quite sad actually and not something I would ever want to be caught doing. I'm sure I've done it myself in the past and I was a sh*thead for it just like those that attack Brendan are. Trying to justify it with your quaint "bro" analogy is quite amusing though. Whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38459: Jun 05, 2016 10:29:09 pm
      Actually having a go at Brendan for the reasons you posted is a symptom of an insecure, jealous and feeble person. It's quite sad actually and not something I would ever want to be caught doing. I'm sure I've done it myself in the past and I was a sh*thead for it just like those that attack Brendan are. Trying to justify it with your quaint "bro" analogy is quite amusing though. Whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose.

:lmao:

So those taking the piss out of Brendan because of his image are:

Insecure, jealous, feeble and sad

You can make these judgements but you never judged Brendan, no of course you didn't.

The contradiction is laughable FL.

FWIW I think your judgement of those who did mock Brendan is terribly wide of the mark, but i wont judge you for it, you're entitled to your opinion

(some sarcasm may be contained within this post)

:laughing-smiley-014:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #38460: Jun 05, 2016 11:38:29 pm
      :lmao:

So those taking the piss out of Brendan because of his image are:

Insecure, jealous, feeble and sad

You can make these judgements but you never judged Brendan, no of course you didn't.

The contradiction is laughable FL.

FWIW I think your judgement of those who did mock Brendan is terribly wide of the mark, but i wont judge you for it, you're entitled to your opinion

(some sarcasm may be contained within this post)

:laughing-smiley-014:

It's actually not that hard to comprehend Luke (although it appears you are having trouble). You mock Brendan acting like you know for a fact why he has lost weight and making fun of his teeth and his image, all the while you know nothing about the man. You have no idea what his private life is like other than what you think you know from his appearance. It's really quite petty and small of you to judge someone for their appearance. Textbook example of jealousy and insecurity. Like I said, quite sad.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38461: Jun 05, 2016 11:46:00 pm
      Think I will head over to the Rafa thread for a bit of peace and quiet. :)
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #38462: Jun 05, 2016 11:55:43 pm
      Honestly don't give enough of a f*ck about Scottish football to bother taking much of an interest...

Still, at least he has a better job than Rafa.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38463: Jun 06, 2016 01:24:37 am
      It's actually not that hard to comprehend Luke (although it appears you are having trouble).

No FL it's you that's struggling to understand how duplicitous you're actually being, it's quite simple to demonstrate and you should be able to follow if you concentrate hard enough:

You judge that it's classic insecurity, jealousy etc on something you don't like to see.

You're basing this judgement on the fact that others judge Brendan demonstrates a classic case of mid-life crisis.

As I've said all along we all judge subconsciously; it is in our very nature to do so. It's not a weakness to admit and recognise your flaws FL, only then will you be able to be totally honest in what you're thinking rather than this faux outrage in defence of a failure.

In reference to not knowing what his private life is like, he was very much in the public eye FL. From the slumlord quotes; the public divorce; Being Liverpool; his son's court case; the image change; his conduct in front of the cameras and on various other media outlets. We knew him very well by the time he left and each and every one of us judged him for it, to pretend otherwise is to simply lie to yourself.
      Kopite78
      Reply #38464: Jun 06, 2016 08:05:21 am
      No FL it's you that's struggling to understand how duplicitous you're actually being, it's quite simple to demonstrate and you should be able to follow if you concentrate hard enough:

You judge that it's classic insecurity, jealousy etc on something you don't like to see.

You're basing this judgement on the fact that others judge Brendan demonstrates a classic case of mid-life crisis.

As I've said all along we all judge subconsciously; it is in our very nature to do so. It's not a weakness to admit and recognise your flaws FL, only then will you be able to be totally honest in what you're thinking rather than this faux outrage in defence of a failure.

In reference to not knowing what his private life is like, he was very much in the public eye FL. From the slumlord quotes; the public divorce; Being Liverpool; his son's court case; the image change; his conduct in front of the cameras and on various other media outlets. We knew him very well by the time he left and each and every one of us judged him for it, to pretend otherwise is to simply lie to yourself.

To be honest Luke I never did judge him on his apparence, I never cared if I'm honest one bit, each to their own, we're all vain to a certain level as well, a lot of relationships break up for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with anyone apart from those involved no matter of their roles in life

What the man looked like never mattered to me in the slightest

I only ever judged him on the job he did and towards the end I thought he lost his way, I thought he lost his identity and belief in what he was trying to do and for that I felt he should have gone, actually after the Stoke game at the end of the season. His approach to games became timid rather than front foot, the football I fell in love with from the last few months of his first season through the 13-14 season disappeared and he didn't seem to have the confidence to get it back, he lost his way, he either wasn't forceful enough with the TC committee to force players that suited that style or he lost the bottle to enforce it. Changing formation 3 times in one half during the FA cup semi against Villa was a prime example and I think he lost that message to the players, the players stopped listening with the looks of things and the Stoke game was a microcosm of that, he looked broken

The decision by the board to continue into the beginning of the last season was a poor one

What he looked like? Did I judge him? Honestly no, couldn't give a f**k
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016 10:16:45 am by Kopite78 »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #38465: Jun 06, 2016 08:07:45 am
      we could always just talk about the silverware he brought to Anfield.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38466: Jun 06, 2016 09:34:33 am
      we could always just talk about the silverware he brought to Anfield.

Ouch! And it would be a short conversation wouldn't it? Unfortunately and this is the rub, it would be a short conversation if we talked about our last TEN YEARS. Benitez had four years at the helm (his last four) and won bugger all, Brendan had three of them and we bugger all, Jurgens only had the one go and won bugger all, while only the King in his couple of years put a trophy in the cabinet. It's a sad return really for such a famous club, and when you consider some f players we've had in that time it's even sadder. Gerrard for years in his prime, Xabi Alonso, Torres, Luis Suarez, Masherano etc etc. One trophy in ten years is a disgrace really, and it would be a short conversation to talk about it.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #38467: Jun 06, 2016 09:43:41 am
      Think I will head over to the Rafa thread for a bit of peace and quiet. :)

See you in there.

Wait a minute.....
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #38468: Jun 06, 2016 02:27:41 pm
      Ouch! And it would be a short conversation wouldn't it? Unfortunately and this is the rub, it would be a short conversation if we talked about our last TEN YEARS. Benitez had four years at the helm (his last four) and won bugger all, Brendan had three of them and we bugger all, Jurgens only had the one go and won bugger all, while only the King in his couple of years put a trophy in the cabinet. It's a sad return really for such a famous club, and when you consider some f players we've had in that time it's even sadder. Gerrard for years in his prime, Xabi Alonso, Torres, Luis Suarez, Masherano etc etc. One trophy in ten years is a disgrace really, and it would be a short conversation to talk about it.

wtf has Rafa got to do with Rodgers. Wrong thread.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38469: Jun 06, 2016 02:42:32 pm

Five clubs that have won as much as us in the last 10 years :-

Portsmouth - F.A. cup
      Wigan        - F.A. cup
      Swansea    - League cup
      Birmingham - League cup
      Leicester     -  League Title

Makes you proud to be in such exalted company :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38470: Jun 06, 2016 05:34:24 pm
      wtf has Rafa got to do with Rodgers. Wrong thread.

I thought I made it clear in the post sorry. During the last ten years we've only won one trophy, you pointed out that Rodgers didn't win any. In that ten years Benitez was in charge for four years, so he is connected to Brendan in the "didn't win anything in the last ten years" managers list, along with Hodgson and Jürgen. Only the King can claim to have won anything in the last decade, shocking really.

You were 100% correct for pointing it out, I'm just broadening the point a bit for context.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #38471: Jun 06, 2016 05:35:51 pm
      I thought I made it clear in the post sorry. During the last ten years we've only won one trophy, you pointed out that Rodgers didn't win any. In that ten years Benitez was in charge for four years, so he is connected to Brendan in the "didn't win anything in the last ten years" managers list, along with Hodgson and Jürgen. Only the King can claim to have won anything in the last decade, shocking really.

You were 100% correct for pointing it out, I'm just broadening the point a bit for context.

no you as usual are putting your big wooden spoon into the thread .
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #38472: Jun 06, 2016 05:37:37 pm
      Five clubs that have won as much as us in the last 10 years :-

Portsmouth - F.A. cup
      Wigan        - F.A. cup
      Swansea    - League cup
      Birmingham - League cup
      Leicester     -  League Title

Makes you proud to be in such exalted company :)

its crazy and shows that a club needs to have a settled off field management to really push on we have had a very difficult 9 years ever since twit and tw*t stole the club and we seemed to lose something at the same time.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38473: Jun 06, 2016 05:56:45 pm
      its crazy and shows that a club needs to have a settled off field management to really push on we have had a very difficult 9 years ever since twit and tw*t stole the club and we seemed to lose something at the same time.

The truth is mate, that unless everyone from the owners, the manager, through to the players has the same goal ... success, you are going to struggle. I don't think success has been at the top of our owners agenda for a long time now. Money with Twitt and tw*t and financial stability under FSG have been their prime goals.

We all saw under H&G towards the end what happens when the money runs out. Similarly we have all seen since under FSG what happens when your priority is wages and not overpaying for players, rather than bringing in the best players we can afford.

Rafa couldn't make it work under H & G once the money dried up. Brendan couldn't make it work under FSG once we lost our best players because we just can't compete with the top teams for the best players to replace the top players we lose.

Maybe Jürgen can ?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38474: Jun 06, 2016 06:15:20 pm
      no you as usual are putting your big wooden spoon into the thread .

Sorry mate I thought that was you doing that with your "silverware" comment, my mistake. That obviously wasn't an attempt to "stir the pot" at all, my mistake.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38475: Jun 06, 2016 07:16:15 pm

Keane wasn't talking about image being important ... the point he 'appeared' to be making was about how clubs are now looking for coaches rather than managers, particularly American owners, and how 'old school' managers like him (and M O'Neill) are being passed over in favour of a newer breed. Boo F***ing whoo. And of course the deserting fuckstick then had to have a cheap dig (seeing as he can't get a proper job himself, the bitter sh*t) obviously aimed at BR who just kicked off at his old stomping ground. You've got a sympathetic ear for that stuff, well that's fine, but no amount of explanation is going to help me come round to the reasoning behind that.

Regarding the personal abuse of BR ... whatever about getting digs into him now, not so concerned, he's no longer manager of LFC. But while he was manager of the club, thought it was cheap, Donald Trump type, shallow, garbage. Fair enough, criticize him for not winning trophies, for signings, tactics, post/pre match 'technicianship' etc etc ... but try draw a line at his personal life/appearance. Nobody would have given a sh*t anyway if he'd managed to get our best PL title attempt in 20 years over the line ... and similarly for Jürgen, he's a great guy and good in the media, but if he doesn't do the business on the football pitch, where it matters, then he will go the same way ... though by the way things are panning out, without similar schoolyard abuse. And that's only right, as a manager of LFC, he deserves a level of respect.

It's fine lines ... where Jürgen won jack this season, most point to the 2 finals and the improvement ... but for BRs 2 point miss out on a Premier League title many point just to the failure to win a trophy.  Oh to be one of the cool kids...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38476: Jun 06, 2016 08:32:35 pm
      Keane wasn't talking about image being important ... the point he 'appeared' to be making was about how clubs are now looking for coaches rather than managers, particularly American owners, and how 'old school' managers like him (and M O'Neill) are being passed over in favour of a newer breed. Boo f**king whoo. And of course the deserting fuckstick then had to have a cheap dig (seeing as he can't get a proper job himself, the bitter sh*t) obviously aimed at BR who just kicked off at his old stomping ground. You've got a sympathetic ear for that stuff, well that's fine, but no amount of explanation is going to help me come round to the reasoning behind that.

He was to American owners (image) and I reasoned around that because of the reference you made to others here, I thought that was your point rather than the rest of the article?

Regarding the personal abuse of BR ... whatever about getting digs into him now, not so concerned, he's no longer manager of LFC. But while he was manager of the club, thought it was cheap, Donald Trump type, shallow, garbage. Fair enough, criticize him for not winning trophies, for signings, tactics, post/pre match 'technicianship' etc etc ... but try draw a line at his personal life/appearance. Nobody would have given a sh*t anyway if he'd managed to get our best PL title attempt in 20 years over the line ... and similarly for Jürgen, he's a great guy and good in the media, but if he doesn't do the business on the football pitch, where it matters, then he will go the same way ... though by the way things are panning out, without similar schoolyard abuse. And that's only right, as a manager of LFC, he deserves a level of respect.

To a large extent I actually agree with you. I warm to Jürgen much more easily on a personal level and understand that stems from a judgement I make about Brendan. I've no issue with admitting I thought he was going through a mid-life crisis and even though I steered away from openly mocking him I would be a liar if I said I didn't think a good few of the things thrown at him. Some people don't like that harsh level of honesty, I can respect it because as long as they remain honest then their opinion can be counted on as being 100% genuine. So while I don't personally agree with openly mocking the manager, I have no trouble understanding how it is borne out of frustration and understanding how his image certainly would have an influence on your opinion of the man, because as I've said before, I think that's human nature.

It's fine lines ... where Jürgen won jack this season, most point to the 2 finals and the improvement ... but for BRs 2 point miss out on a Premier League title many point just to the failure to win a trophy.  Oh to be one of the cool kids...

The record books will show both as failures in all competitions so far, first is everything, second is nothing. If Brendan had shown a level of consistency, perhaps got us playing anywhere near the level we showed with Luis in the team then he would have kept many more supporters, he lost the fans, he lost his way and he lost the backing of the players. It's not about being cool kids it's the difference between being in your first year and showing massive signs of encouragement and being in your last and showing all of the above, that shouldn't be hard to grasp.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38477: Jun 06, 2016 09:01:02 pm
      Some people don't like that harsh level of honesty, I can respect it because as long as they remain honest then their opinion can be counted on as being 100% genuine.

Deffo, people are entitled to their opinions, and I'm just giving mine, though I think I can give an honest one without resorting to personal abuse.  Anyway, don't think we're a million miles apart.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #38478: Jul 12, 2016 08:19:17 pm
      I see the Brodge is keeping up his standards in Europe, losing to a bunch of postmen!

Quick Reply