Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3052349 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38617: Sep 14, 2016 11:58:57 am
      Jeez when you look at that group they'd surely have been better off not qualifying wouldn't they? They'd have been in the Europa and given a good draw could have had a run. They'll not get a point in that group though. Scottish football is in dire straits really, when you think Celtic will p!ss their league and their star signings were Scott Sinclair, Kolo Toure and a kid off of Fulham it puts it into perspective.

I've long said it, I think they should put them and Rangers into the Championship, inside a decade they'd be a reasonable Premiership team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38618: Sep 14, 2016 12:25:14 pm
      Jeez when you look at that group they'd surely have been better off not qualifying wouldn't they? They'd have been in the Europa and given a good draw could have had a run. They'll not get a point in that group though. Scottish football is in dire straits really, when you think Celtic will p!ss their league and their star signings were Scott Sinclair, Kolo Toure and a kid off of Fulham it puts it into perspective.

I've long said it, I think they should put them and Rangers into the Championship, inside a decade they'd be a reasonable Premiership team.

At the height of the O'Neil and McLeish era of the Old Firm Celtic and Rangers were probably top half Premier League sides. Celtic beat us and Blackburn on the way to the UEFA Cup Final in 2003. All been downhill since then and you would definitely say that now Celtic are definitely sub Premier League-lower half of the Championship.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #38619: Sep 14, 2016 12:28:14 pm
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38620: Sep 14, 2016 12:33:09 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #38621: Sep 14, 2016 01:16:10 pm
      Reading the thread it's like people are surprised Celtic got banjoed. Obviously though I and others like me are the ones "obsessed" with Brendan Rodgers  :D.

You say surprised when you could say 'waiting' on Celtic getting twatted.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38622: Sep 14, 2016 01:35:21 pm
      You say surprised when you could say 'waiting' on Celtic getting twatted.

Well obviously mate, but that's another story. In truth though, does anybody really give a f***? Leaving agenda and prejudice aside, is anybody really surprised that the team wearing the hoops got hammered by Barca? I suppose if Rodgers parked two buses they'd have kept the score down, but he was never going to do that.

I suppose though if you offered the average Celtic fan 5-1 at the weekend and a 7-0 defeat against Barcelona they would have bitten your hand off.

I must confess though I never really realised their group was as difficult as it is until it was posted up this morning. They're f*****!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38623: Sep 14, 2016 05:55:43 pm
      I want him to flip the triangle in the return leg please do so Brendan because I'm so obsessed with you.

You are a bit.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #38624: Sep 14, 2016 10:03:34 pm
      Scottish football is utterly terrible. Can't believe Celtic are the best that league has to offer.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38625: Sep 14, 2016 10:48:02 pm
      Celtic's problem - along with Rangers - is that they are so hellbent and preoccupied on getting one over on each other that they fail to look at the bigger picture.

If one is doing appallingly sh*t and in the nether regions of Scottish football, the other decides to stay in limbo, failing to develop a squad or devise any coherent plan to get the club as a consistent competitor on the European stage. An attitude that is merely so because 'the other one's not much good' so they can have room for complacency and still win the league - this goes on ad infinitum over the years. The only reason Celtic hired Brendan was because Rangers were potentially looking handy under Mark Warburton - Deila would probably have still been in charge if Rangers were still ballsing things up in the lower divisions.

It's frankly such an obsession that any proposal to enter the English leagues will be swatted away from the fans. The chances of higher revenues, signing better players and greater competition, along with the chance to test yourself against the best talents in the UK, is redundant in the idea of both sets of supporters who revel in their 'big fish, small pond' status. The iffy stance they take with regards to a chance to play in the English division means it is not beyond reason to suggest that both clubs merely exist to get the better of one another, as opposed to much greater aspirations.

Neither sets of supporters could ever come to terms with just being another big club amongst many other big clubs - they love being the centre of attention and can't bear the thought of that being taken away, but put them in a real competition and their narrow minded obsessions would suddenly start to look incredibly trivial and pathetic in all honesty. It would more often than not look like two bald men fighting over a comb.

There's absolutely no foresight or innovation to look at the wider scheme of things. Both clubs are trapped in their own secluded, isolated mindsets (not helped by the luddites of other SPL clubs) maintaining a feeling of superiority that is severely misguided. If a Premier League rivalry is seen as tantamount to a heavyweight boxing clash akin to Muhammed Ali v Joe Frazier, then Celtic v Rangers at this moment is merely two lumpen drunkards glassing each other in pub on a Saturday night.       

Quite frankly, if these supporters think they've got the balls to act all big and hard, then they would put their money where their mouth is and actively seek to enter the big leagues. I wish to see both clubs competing in England - both clubs have a secure fanbase and the infrastructure to actually make a decent long term plan for their futures. But it could also potentially dilute the vitriol that an Old Firm creates as both clubs merely compete in their first phases of English football for mid table or lower division mediocrity. It might bring a bit of humility to both clubs and provide them with a rude awakening that the world doesn't actually revolve around their hatred for each other. And with that sense of self-importance stamped upon, the authorities - knowing that England is made up of anything but two horse races - could also deal much more harshly to any sectarian bigotry (e.g. points deduction, massive fines) without fear of it spoiling the competition.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2016 11:10:04 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38626: Sep 15, 2016 12:44:37 pm

Stay out of it nothing was directed at you. But if you are so keen to get involved suggest you jump in to the Benitez thread first and read and witness the biggest hypocracy on a football forum.

Makes me laugh though everytime I reflect on the conviction and enthusiasm behind Brendans words when he spoke of the triangle.

It was like telling the world he just discovered that sh*t stinks.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #38627: Sep 15, 2016 03:31:36 pm
      Quote from Son Of A Gun
      Celtic's problem - along with Rangers - is that they are so hellbent and preoccupied on getting one over on each other that they fail to look at the bigger picture.

It's frankly such an obsession that any proposal to enter the English leagues will be swatted away from the fans. There's absolutely no foresight or innovation to look at the wider scheme of things. Both clubs are trapped in their own secluded, isolated mindsets (not helped by the luddites of other SPL clubs) maintaining a feeling of superiority that is severely misguided. If a Premier League rivalry is seen as tantamount to a heavyweight boxing clash akin to Muhammed Ali v Joe Frazier, then Celtic v Rangers at this moment is merely two lumpen drunkards glassing each other in pub on a Saturday night.

But that is football fan rivalry. It's all tribal. It's why our local fanbase consider Everton a bigger rivalry and more important than the mancs, even though football wise, Everton have been no threat to us since 1987, and are a total irrelevance to the rest of us who consider our war footing to be against the mancs instead.

Neither Celtic nor Rangers will join the English leagues, as they won't be allowed to by either the SFA nor the EFA. UEFA only allow clubs to move leagues in exceptional circumstances, and them dominating Scottish football isn't one of them.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38628: Sep 28, 2016 09:40:55 pm
      A draw with Man City, ending City's winning streak.

And fair play to Rodgers - that's the first time in ages I've watched Celtic actually take a game to a big side at Europe at Celtic Park rather than park the bus.

No doubt, some c*nts will say he's lucky.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #38629: Sep 28, 2016 09:50:19 pm
      A draw with Man City, ending City's winning streak.

And fair play to Rodgers - that's the first time in ages I've watched Celtic actually take a game to a big side at Europe at Celtic Park rather than park the bus.

No doubt, some c*nts will say he's lucky.

I didnt watch the game but well done Brendan.

Which logically should mean we will smash City when we play them   ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38630: Sep 28, 2016 09:56:25 pm
      Superb game that was. You'll struggle to get a better match all season in the Champions League. Really impressed with Celtic in fairness - they went toe to toe with Man City in playing attacking football and matched them. Brendan playing it perfectly. Well done to him and Celtic!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38631: Sep 28, 2016 09:57:55 pm
      I thought they were quality and well deserved their draw. They looked wide open at the back on a fair few occasions but that's the risk that comes with playing his style of football. Thoroughly entertaining game for sure.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38632: Sep 28, 2016 09:57:58 pm
      I know it's getting old but can't help myself ...he must have flipped the triangle!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #38633: Sep 28, 2016 10:04:25 pm
      Good result today for Rodgers.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38634: Sep 28, 2016 10:10:26 pm
      Great result for Celtic tonight doing what no English PL team has come close to doing so far this season. BR is such a young coach if he can learn how to set up a team defensively as well as he does at times offensively he'll do ok. Nice one Brendan
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38635: Sep 28, 2016 11:27:30 pm
      I didnt watch the game but well done Brendan.

Which logically should mean we will smash City when we play them   ;)

Well that was what was running through my mind - I was thinking to myself 'we'd beat these!'.

That was the first time I'd watched Man City this year and I honestly thought we look far more intense compared to them. City played a pressing game as well as Celtic tonight, but Liverpool's pressing game just looks way more efficient and drilled.

What intrigues is the fitness levels. Kornmayer will be a crucial part of our season this year - Ancelotti was pissed off he lost him, but his fitness regime fits Klopp's methods like hand in glove, as we saw in 2013 when Heynkes replicated Klopp's gegenpressing. Bayern Munich were supremely fit and Klopp acknowledged this in the Champions League final which was greatly beneficial to Munich in that final.

This was all down to Kornmayer. Interestingly, Guardiola did not put as much emphasis on fitness as Heynkes and Klopp did for their system, primarily because Guardiola's philosophy emphasises ball possession more than counter pressing. Munich were not as fit under Guardiola as they had been under Heynkes, primarily because Kornmayer was given a limited remit.

Over the course of the season, it's not beyond reason that City may be more tired than Liverpool, especially as we have no mid week European fixtures and that we have the best fitness coach in the league.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #38636: Sep 29, 2016 02:25:34 am
      I know it's getting old but can't help myself ...he must have flipped the triangle!

Too bad there's not a downvote button on here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38637: Sep 29, 2016 02:30:14 am
      Too bad there's not a downvote button on here.

-1 for bad wind-up attempt.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #38638: Sep 29, 2016 03:03:06 am

Which one? :laugh:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #38639: Sep 29, 2016 05:37:34 am
      Thats a cracking response the being trashed by Barcelona. Well fine Brendan. I see the game, but what exactly did Celtic do to break the city defence 3 time's?

Quick Reply