Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3052336 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38663: Oct 28, 2016 04:50:47 pm
      As most of us thought Rogers really did lose the plot at the end!

https://twitter.com/tonybarrett/status/792018084735352832
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38664: Oct 29, 2016 08:20:44 am
      Reading that article was like going back in time to a year ago and rereading what (almost) everyone was saying on these boards.

Additionally, not only was Rodgers reckless with club finances and team management but he wasted a year of someone's career. Dickhead.

Glad we've all moved on. Ourselves from Brendan and Benteke from us. We deserve (and got) better with Jürgen and Benteke was professional and deserved to be playing every week in a team that suited him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38665: Oct 29, 2016 09:52:24 am
      Pep wins before meeting BR : 10
      Pep wins after meeting BR : 0

Cheers Brendan
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #38666: Nov 22, 2016 10:42:16 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38667: Nov 23, 2016 11:04:31 pm
      Crashed out of the CL tonight:

Played: 5
      Won: 0
      Drew: 2
      Lost: 3
      Goal Difference: -11

I'm sure, above all, they showed great character! :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38668: Nov 23, 2016 11:17:26 pm

Let's face it though, he's managing Celtic and they had Man City, Barca and a good Gladbach team in their group. They were never going to do well.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38669: Nov 23, 2016 11:51:13 pm

Least they where there
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38670: Nov 24, 2016 12:12:26 am

What do you expect with a team that hasn't been in the Champions League for three years and played the toughest group?

I didn't expect any more to be honest. A shame some are quick to mock him long after he's left us. Let's leave that to the social media chumps.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #38671: Nov 24, 2016 12:27:41 am
      Considering the goal difference was -7 after the first game, it's not so bad. They could be as leaky as Legia Warsaw.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #38672: Nov 24, 2016 09:48:00 am
      NOBODY SPEAK ILL OF BRENDAN  :angry-smiley-034: :f_bluelight:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38673: Nov 24, 2016 12:26:26 pm
      All Luke did was put up some numbers didn't see any criticism there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #38674: Nov 24, 2016 01:11:19 pm
      All Luke did was put up some numbers didn't see any criticism there.

You must have missed the 'subtle' dig at the end. ;)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38675: Nov 24, 2016 07:39:38 pm
      You must have missed the 'subtle' dig at the end. ;)

No Si I didn't mate actually made me chuckle funny the double standards though people getting their knickers in a twist when someone makes a light hearted joke about a manager who didn't even get us to a final of any competition, yet it's ok to call the other who won us a CL a fat Spanish waiter and troll his career for many years after leaving the club and undermining his abilities and achievements.

Anyway back to Brendan should have flipped the triangle more often maybe the numbers wouldn't look so dire.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38676: Nov 24, 2016 08:19:40 pm
      No Si I didn't mate actually made me chuckle funny the double standards though people getting their knickers in a twist when someone makes a light hearted joke about a manager who didn't even get us to a final of any competition, yet it's ok to call the other who won us a CL a fat Spanish waiter and troll his career for many years after leaving the club and undermining his abilities and achievements.

Anyway back to Brendan should have flipped the triangle more often maybe the numbers wouldn't look so dire.

I prefer those who don't take the piss out of either of them in all honesty. Simple isn't it?

Flip the triangle? Not heard that one before! Lolololololol!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38677: Nov 24, 2016 08:50:49 pm

Exactly mate.

The league table was the dig, the total failure in Europe again was the slight against his managerial talent.

Funny how expectations are so low, if we went to play Celtic with any other manager in charge I'd expect a bloody tough game. It's one of the most daunting stadiums in world football to go to. Their fans make the place rock and without doubt they wouldn't have been expecting to be out of EL qualification chances with a game to spare.

So spare me the excuses and accept he failed again on the European stage as predicted by so many of us.

As for Rafa mate, doing pretty well at Newcastle, be interesting to see how they perform when they get back in the prem.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #38678: Nov 24, 2016 09:41:30 pm
      Considering the goal difference was -7 after the first game, it's not so bad. They could be as leaky as Legia Warsaw.

Serious question as I have always wondered, what's the difference between Rodgers and Rafa for you? I have never seen you slate Rodgers and seem to have an excuse for him... always, where as Rafa, you just love to slate, during his time with us and after.

And also, do you still think Messi is overrated and should not be considered one of the greatest of all time because he still hasn't won an international tournament and because he scores tap ins in an easy league?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38679: Nov 24, 2016 09:52:08 pm
      Exactly mate.

The league table was the dig, the total failure in Europe again was the slight against his managerial talent.

Funny how expectations are so low, if we went to play Celtic with any other manager in charge I'd expect a bloody tough game. It's one of the most daunting stadiums in world football to go to. Their fans make the place rock and without doubt they wouldn't have been expecting to be out of EL qualification chances with a game to spare.

So spare me the excuses and accept he failed again on the European stage as predicted by so many of us.

As for Rafa mate, doing pretty well at Newcastle, be interesting to see how they perform when they get back in the prem.

Excuse me Luke, but do you live in Glasgow? How the hell do you have the authority to state what Celtic fans should think about him?

I live in the heart of the East End (Dennistoun) and the Celtic fans absolutely love him. He is considered their best manager since Martin O Neill, and he is playing excellent football with them. You can go on about how they beat Barca and all that four years ago, but that was a team with Wanyama, Van Dijk, Forster, etc and they had about 10% of the ball with all 11 men sitting deep. Celtic actually had the balls to come out and play against all the teams at home this season. The fans appreciated that, and 'not expecting to be out of the EL qualification with a game to spare'? Give me a break - in a group with City, Barcelona and Mochengladbach? All European Cup quality teams - Celtic, meanwhile, have a Championship quality squad that would struggle for promotion.

But hey, as a non-Celtic fan yourself, you obviously know better than the faithful supporters who love the guy. They must merely be just thick poverty ridden Glaswegians eh? Any slight against the man is desperately looked for and some people have this pathetic agenda that they amplify. What did he actually do to deserve relentless criticism about every single thing - did he sh*t in front of the Kop or something? Or do some thick people really believe he was Hodge Part II? Why is he hated? Because he was sacked and ultimately not good enough for us (which is true)? If we're to pour scorn on every single individual who tried his best for us but failed, then we might as well disregard the majority of folk who have served us.

If we are to only respect those who brought success, and pour scorn on every failure who tried his best, then that spits in the tradition of the humility and respect that Liverpool supporters are unique for. 'But its our tradition to win' is usually the brainless rotort - well duh, that's a tradition for most top clubs like us.....

The worst thing about your post Luke is that it reads like a Rangers fan. So much for 'you'll never walk alone'.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38680: Nov 24, 2016 10:09:26 pm
      Excuse me Luke, but do you live in Glasgow? How the hell do you have the authority to state what Celtic fans should think about him?

I live in the heart of the East End (Dennistoun) and the Celtic fans absolutely love him. He is considered their best manager since Martin O Neill, and he is playing excellent football with them. You can go on about how they beat Barca and all that four years ago, but that was a team with Wanyama, Van Dijk, Forster, etc and they had about 10% of the ball with all 11 men sitting deep. Celtic actually had the balls to come out and play against all the teams at home this season. The fans appreciated that, and 'not expecting to be out of the EL qualification with a game to spare'? Give me a break - in a group with City, Barcelona and Mochengladbach? All European Cup quality teams - Celtic, meanwhile, have a Championship quality squad that would struggle for promotion.

But hey, as a non-Celtic fan yourself, you obviously know better than the faithful supporters who love the guy. They must merely be just thick poverty ridden Glaswegians eh? Any slight against the man is desperately looked for and some people have this pathetic agenda that they amplify. What did he actually do to deserve relentless criticism about every single thing - did he sh*t in front of the Kop or something? Or do some thick people really believe he was Hodge Part II? Why is he hated? Because he was sacked and ultimately not good enough for us (which is true)? If we're to pour scorn on every single individual who tried his best for us but failed, then we might as well disregard the majority of folk who have served us.

If we are to only respect those who brought success, and pour scorn on every failure who tried his best, then that spits in the tradition of the humility and respect that Liverpool supporters are unique for. 'But its our tradition to win' is usually the brainless rotort - well duh, that's a tradition for most top clubs like us.....

The worst thing about your post Luke is that it reads like a Rangers fan. So much for 'you'll never walk alone'.

Excellent post that.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #38681: Nov 24, 2016 10:21:46 pm

yet it's ok to call the other who won us a CL a fat Spanish waiter and troll his career for many years after leaving the club and undermining his abilities and achievements.

Not from me mate and also I criticised Brendan as much as anyone towards the end.

But he gets far to much stick and remember if we had won one more game that season he would have been the first man to bring us a league title since Kenny.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38682: Nov 24, 2016 11:06:20 pm

No, and did I say that? No.

I stated the expectations of their team. To demonstrate just how high hope was and what level expectations were take a look at an article which quotes the man himself:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/734247/Celtic-Brendan-Rodgers-Barcelona-Champions-League-News

Note the thought amongst the fans that "we can beat Barca" just before the game at Celtic, but yet those same fans that thought of course would have been expecting to be out of EL qualification chances with a game to spare. That is if I'm to believe you.

Well I don't, Celtic fans will be gutted now that all hope of progress is gone, I don't need to live in Glasgow to suggest that either, because it's only natural.

I live in the heart of the East End (Dennistoun) and the Celtic fans absolutely love him. He is considered their best manager since Martin O Neill, and he is playing excellent football with them.

Sounds impressive until we list his competition:

Gordon Strachan
      Neil Lennon
      Tony Mobray
      Ronny Deila

Excuse me if I don't believe that is a very impressive achievement.

Celtic actually had the balls to come out and play against all the teams at home this season.

Yeah 'balls' or naivety.

Brendan himself said it's the easiest thing in the world to coach a team how to defend a deep block. Well with 6 draws he'd be sailing through rather than sitting there with the balls to go out with -11 goal difference after just 5 games.

The fans appreciated that, and 'not expecting to be out of the EL qualification with a game to spare'? Give me a break - in a group with City, Barcelona and Mochengladbach? All European Cup quality teams - Celtic, meanwhile, have a Championship quality squad that would struggle for promotion.

I accept it's a tough group and I personally wouldn't have expected them to get into the top 2 spots but there's a difference between being out of contention to qualify for the next round of the CL and being out of the whole thing with a game to spare.

If you honestly believe that's the expectation level that Celtic fans put on the club and they're happy enough going out of Europe with little more than a whimper then I'll confidently disagree with you.

But hey, as a non-Celtic fan yourself, you obviously know better than the faithful supporters who love the guy. They must merely be just thick poverty ridden Glaswegians eh?

What exactly are you talking about here, this seems something coming from your subconscious because I mentioned nothing about poverty and location, certainly nothing about intellect either? Very strange comment this SoaG.

FWIW the team I most cheer for in Scotland, in fact the only team that I actually care a single damn for in Scotland is Celtic because of our close ties together. That has nothing to do with location, intellect nor wealth.

Any slight against the man is desperately looked for and some people have this pathetic agenda that they amplify. What did he actually do to deserve relentless criticism about every single thing - did he sh*t in front of the Kop or something? Or do some thick people really believe he was Hodge Part II? Why is he hated? Because he was sacked and ultimately not good enough for us (which is true)? If we're to pour scorn on every single individual who tried his best for us but failed, then we might as well disregard the majority of folk who have served us.

Again, just off on a little rant here SoaG.

My post in here was to point out that they'd been dumped out of all European footy. The little quip at the end about character was a personal dislike of mine because on the back of all disappointments Brendan would trip that term out time and time again as some form of defence when in fact it was diversionary bullshit, hence why I thought he'd be tripping it out again to cover over yet another failure from the man. Hardly the insult, mockery or scorn you seem to play it up to be.

As for hate, not a single person has demonstrated hate for the man on this forum from what I've seen, just over-dramatisation on your part here.

See SoaG this is where I believe you lose perspective on things because on here there are discussions and disagreements about people so of course they're going to be discussed and maybe poked fun at from one side or the other from time to time. Do you believe that if any of the 'Brendan haters' met Brendan in real life they'd be hateful towards him?

I know I don't believe that and I think the same of the 'Rafa haters'. What I do believe is that arguments rumble on here and therefore careers are followed to either prove or disprove points of the past. Do I take a little satisfaction at pointing out Brendan failed, yeah perhaps I do, a sense of 'I told you so, yeah there's that too, but when you start talking about hate, scorn and the rest of it you just lose all sense of perspective on things.

Your opinion SoaG, I'll uphold You'll Never Walk Alone the way it was taught to me and the way I see fit. If you think that doesn't involve being able to freely evaluate someone's performance and perhaps have the odd little harmless jibe here and there then we'll have to disagree on this too.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38683: Nov 24, 2016 11:32:42 pm
      What I do believe is that arguments rumble on here and therefore careers are followed to either prove or disprove points of the past. Do I take a little satisfaction at pointing out Brendan failed, yeah perhaps I do, a sense of 'I told you so, yeah there's that too, but when you start talking about hate, scorn and the rest of it you just lose all sense of perspective on things.

That is quite an admittance Luke, at least your honest enough to admit you hope that a managers fails, in order for you to gloat and stroke your own ego on an internet forum.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38684: Nov 24, 2016 11:48:02 pm
      That is quite an admittance Luke, at least your honest enough to hope that a managers fails, in order for you to gloat and stroke your own ego on an internet forum.

Not what I said there though is it BB?

I stated my satisfaction came after the fact of his failure and was clearly directed at the discussions on here but go ahead and spin it how you like.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38685: Nov 24, 2016 11:53:57 pm
      Not what I said there though is it BB?

I stated my satisfaction came after the fact of his failure but spin it how you like.

No point playing with semantics Luke, you've practically admitted as much.

Of course your satisfaction came after his failure  ;D isn't that the idea of 'I told you so'?

He failed at Liverpool and now you revel in the fact he's been knocked out of the European Cup, cementing, gloating and stroking your ego in his failure.

Quick Reply