Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3074592 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8280: Feb 14, 2013 08:15:56 pm
      If we have not improved by the end of next season then it needs to be addressed....I am not one to say Top 4 or get fired but we should be competing better, we should be in the Top 6 battling for a CL spot and we should do better in the cups.
      You're having a laugh mate , doing better in the cups . we were doing excellent in the cups and the boys from boston got shut of the man .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1546 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #8281: Feb 14, 2013 08:16:03 pm
      Serious questions time: If we are exactly the same this time next year do we persevere? Some people seem to be f**king made up with the way we're going here so I ask: At what point do we become unhappy with this type of form if it does go on? Some people seem to really believe that Rodgers should get three years minimum no matter what, so I'm curious.
      There has to be improvement, noticeable improvement, else, what's the point?
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #8282: Feb 14, 2013 08:16:06 pm
      Been off the forum for a while but am a bit bemused by the flak BR is getting! Yes some his tactics have been questionable especially some of his substitutions but like we all said (well a lot of us) he needs time. It's doing me nut in watching some of the performances but it's no good having knee jerk reactions and questioning BR! He needs the full 3 years he's contracted to sort the team out. The way some are talking all that will happen is that we will end up like Notts Forest-2 times Euro Champs but now going nowhere and a hatful of managers this season alone! 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8283: Feb 14, 2013 08:17:11 pm
      My mistake mate.

But still 6 wins and a draw.

Maybe, maybe not but it's not a position I'd be happy with after sacking Kenny last year to 'achieve' that.

And as many have said in the past, Kenny should not have been sacked. But he was and it was not Brendan that sacked him so we need to try our best to get behind BR just like we got behind Kenny because creating a revolving door in the mangers office is no ticket to success.

If it continues and we keep sliding down next season then fair enough but 1 season (achieve or get fired) is no ticket to success.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8284: Feb 14, 2013 08:17:19 pm
      Home forms slightly better than last season(1,62 vs 1.42 ppg), away forms slightly worse (1.15 vs 1.32 ppg).  We're scoring more, but we're conceding more.  I said last season 6 league home wins isn't good enough for any Liverpool manager, I stand by that.  The football this season has more than an echo of last season, some great football, some piss poor football and quite often in the same f'n match, like last season. 

Brendan still gets another year for me, KK should have got another year but then Hodgson shouldn't have been here at all and Rafa deserved another season as well.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8285: Feb 14, 2013 08:20:39 pm
      We need 16 points out of the remaining 12 matches to equal our 52 points of lasts season....19 points/36 to better it....dont think we need to win 8 there Si.

The corresponding 12 games from earlier in the season gave us 22 points.  4 of our remaining 12 games are against teams fighting relegation and 3 are against teams fighting for CL places.

It's not going to be as easy as it looks to get 16 points, especially with the way we are playing and the goals we are too easily conceding.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #8286: Feb 14, 2013 08:23:10 pm
      The corresponding 12 games from earlier in the season gave us 22 points.  4 of our remaining 12 games are against teams fighting relegation and 3 are against teams fighting for CL places.

It's not going to be as easy as it looks to get 16 points, especially with the way we are playing and the goals we are too easily conceding.

The point I was trying to make deb but got the figures wrong.

Right now I'd be surprised if we beat last seasons total as our form is much too inconsistent.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8287: Feb 14, 2013 08:24:21 pm
      You're having a laugh mate , doing better in the cups . we were doing excellent in the cups and the boys from boston got shut of the man .

What does that have to do with BR?  This is where I am getting lost ....Brendan needs to improve across the board to keep his job, it has nothing to do with Kenny at all.

So no I was not having a laugh...what BR has done and what BR might do (success or failure) has nothing to do with Kenny; that is an FSG discussion not a BR one.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8288: Feb 14, 2013 08:26:15 pm
      You do realise by saying for example

"The manager is salesman pulling the wool over over peoples eyes etc etc, but I support the manager" is not really supporting him

Nor is saying "I dont want the manger sacked BUT......."

Never im my time supportingthis club have I ssen so many turn on or give up on someone so quick (Hodgson possibily but that was fully understandable he was a mug)

Had forums been around in 1985 I wonder would Kenny Dalglish be given the above crap as if memory serves me when 1985 turned into 1986 we were way down the table. Obviously we wont win the double this season my point being its way too early too judge this young manager. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,506 posts | 2871 
      Reply #8289: Feb 14, 2013 08:29:49 pm
      We have the lowest points at this stage of the season since Souness.
      We're out of both domestic cups already against clubs with far smaller budgets.
      We look to be going out in Europe in the 1st knock out game.
      We're 12 points off 4th with 12 games to go to a Tottenham team who lost Modric and Van der Vaart and got a new manager who got sacked from Chelsea and had less experience in the Premier league than Rodgers.
      We haven't beaten a team above us in the league all season.
      Our new manager spent  £30m of a limited budget on bench players Allen, Borini and Assaidi.
      We  most probably won't be in Europe next season and ergo Suarez might decide to take a big offer to leave.
      Rodger's CV doesn't give us anything to prove he is good enough for the top level, like Benitez's did when he arrived.
      Our defending is noticeably poorer under Rodgers and hasn't improved all season.

F**k me that's depressing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #8290: Feb 14, 2013 08:32:25 pm

But brutally honest.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8291: Feb 14, 2013 08:35:10 pm
      The point I was trying to make deb but got the figures wrong.

Right now I'd be surprised if we beat last seasons total as our form is much too inconsistent.

Same here Si. 

That's a lot of games against teams with something still to play for, when we have nothing to play for and have shown recently we have little or no heart for a battle.

Very depressing to think about how far we've sunk.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8292: Feb 14, 2013 08:36:12 pm
      I do think it's too early to ultimately judge Brendan. However I've seen enough mistakes to make me genuinely worry, mistakes that to simple arm chair fans can see as clear as day but Brendan continues to make them and repeatedly. If he started correcting his mistakes I'd at least be happy and content in the fact that he only makes the same mistake once, but no Brendan is proving consistent for the wrong reasons.

Be honest when you answer this, could Brendan have done much worse?

Hand on heart I'm doubting he's the right man but my loyalty means I believe he deserves another season and the chance to bring more of his players in to play his system but right now I'm longing for Brendan to give us some hope to cling to rather than make amateur mistakes which he made today.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #8293: Feb 14, 2013 08:36:38 pm

"The manager is salesman pulling the wool over over peoples eyes etc etc, but I support the manager" is not really supporting him

Never im my time supportingthis club have I ssen so many turn on or give up on someone so quick (Hodgson possibily but that was fully understandable he was a mug)

Had forums been around in 1985 I wonder would Kenny Dalglish be given the above crap as if memory serves me when 1985 turned into 1986 we were way down the table. Obviously we wont win the double this season my point being its way too early too judge this young manager. 

Agree 100% Brian, can't stomach being on here much these days.  Hate the crap I read from so many.

It's not been a good season, it's very likely to get worse, but what did we really expect at the start?  It's not accepting mediocrity, it's more about giving a manager a chance.  Something that The King wasn't given, I wonder how many posters hold that against Brendan Rodgers?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8294: Feb 14, 2013 08:36:54 pm

As someone mentioned I wonder with today's mentality that when Rafa lost to Burnley in '05 cup or to Crystal Palace in the league a few weeks later if Istanbul would have happened or he just would of gotten the can.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #8295: Feb 14, 2013 08:37:34 pm
       BR fu**ed up tonight

We should of been playing boring football, kill the game , get them back to Anfield. Then rip them to pieces.

I think our manager lacks experience when it comes to two legged ties
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8296: Feb 14, 2013 08:38:29 pm
      BR fu**ed up tonight

We should of been playing boring football, kill the game , get them back to Anfield. Then rip them to pieces.

And yet others seem to think he got it wrong by not putting out a team to win the match.

hmm....seems like a hard and diverse crowd to please it does.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #8297: Feb 14, 2013 08:43:18 pm
      As someone mentioned I wonder with today's mentality that when Rafa lost to Burnley in '05 cup or to Crystal Palace in the league a few weeks later if Istanbul would have happened or he just would of gotten the can.

I'm sorry AZ but this is nonsense.

It is true that Rafa had more than his fair share of dodgy results but also lead us to the League Cup final and won the European Cup in that season so there was enough there for us to believe we could progress. He also had a record of winning comepitions as a manager.

Aftre next Thursday we may well have nothing left to play for.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1546 
      Reply #8298: Feb 14, 2013 08:44:05 pm
      We have the lowest points at this stage of the season since Souness.
      We're out of both domestic cups already against clubs with far smaller budgets.
      We look to be going out in Europe in the 1st knock out game.
      We're 12 points off 4th with 12 games to go to a Tottenham team who lost Modric and Van der Vaart and got a new manager who got sacked from Chelsea and had less experience in the Premier league than Rodgers.
      We haven't beaten a team above us in the league all season.
      Our new manager spent  £30m of a limited budget on bench players Allen, Borini and Assaidi.
      We  most probably won't be in Europe next season and ergo Suarez might decide to take a big offer to leave.
      Rodger's CV doesn't give us anything to prove he is good enough for the top level, like Benitez's did when he arrived.
      Our defending is noticeably poorer under Rodgers and hasn't improved all season.
      It doesn't look pretty does it?

But it's there, it's a part of who we are right now, and it will be addressed.

EDIT: Somehow
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8299: Feb 14, 2013 08:44:22 pm
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1528402-liverpool-has-the-brendan-rogers-project-already-failed

LIVERPOOL    Has The Brendan Rodgers Project Already Failed ? 

In the past decade, Liverpool fans have seen their fair share of "revolutions."

In 2004, Rafa Benitez brought in a Spanish revolution and duly delivered a European Cup. When his form dipped, Roy Hodgson was brought in to shake things up, fresh from guiding Fulham to the Europa League final.

Some 31 games and 10 losses later, the Hodgson revolution was toppled and a new ruler emerged: King Kenny. After bringing in the homegrown (and disproportionately priced) talents of Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson—and despite delivering three Wembley appearances—Dalglish's second reign lasted just one-and-a-half seasons.

Which brings us to the current regime: The Rodgers Revolution, which came to power last June.

His arrival came with much promise.
      He was the man who brought glamorous Barcelona-esque "tiki-taka"  football to the relatively unglamorous surrounds of Swansea. Pass-and-move was set to become the Liverpool groove once again.

Once again, however, the revolution at Anfield hasn't been particularly revolutionary.

Liverpool have suffered 11 defeats in all competitions this season. They are 29 points behind in a title race that they were a part of not so long ago. They have lost to West Brom, Stoke and Aston Villa in recent months and sit ninth in the league, having not beaten any of the teams above them.

Furthermore, Liverpool haven't been in a league position this bad after 26 games in 20 years.

In the inaugural Premier League season (1992/93), they were 13th at this stage and finished in sixth place.

All things considered, most Koppites would probably take that final finishing place in this campaign.

To expect a revolution overnight is unrealistic ...

but surely Liverpool's fans and owners expect more than they are currently getting from a team that has had such high expectations over the years.

From the perspective of a Fenway Sports Group Investor, the Northern Irish coach appears to be failing.

To his credit, he has successfully implemented a passing game. He isn't afraid to give youngsters a chance and often experiments with moving players to different positions with success.
      The Reds are just eight points off securing European football next season, which is not an impossible deficit.

Yet the weaknesses of his system have all too frequently been exposed.
      There is no backup plan when his tiki-taka pressing game is unsuccessful.
      They are easily beaten by teams with a fast counter-attack and out-muscled by physical teams with less sophisticated tactics.

Pass-and-move was an essential tenet of the 80s Liverpool side, but often the tiki-taka buildup gives teams the time they need to organize defensively, and crucially, it often fails to produce goals.

It's great that youngsters like Suso, Jono Shelvey, Raheem Sterling and Joe Allen get first-team experience, but at times it seems the team simply does not have the calibre of players required to successfully execute Rodgers' system.

Off the field, Rodgers has also shown some questionable man management.

Admonishing Luis Suarez for diving was the kind of move Arsene "see no evil, speak no evil" Wenger would never dream of.

Even though it was copied from Alex Ferguson, the "three envelopes" trick we saw on Being: Liverpool seemed like the kind of clumsy technique that David Brent would learn on a provincial middle-management course.

Essentially, though the Rodgers Revolution is failing, it has not yet failed.

The ship can be put back on course, but the type of system Rodgers is implementing needs time.

Sadly, time is something that the Northern Irish coach probably doesn't have.

FSG were fairly ruthless with the dismissal of Kenny Dalglish and have shown no qualms with bringing in new managers to get Liverpool back into highest tier of Premier League sides (what was known as the "Big Four" five years ago).

Hopefully, he will get the time he needs to turn things around, but the success of the Rodgers revolution may ultimately depend on the fickleness of the club's owners.

Or The Fans.

I stopped reading once I saw the source was Bleacher Report.

---

And yet others seem to think he got it wrong by not putting out a team to win the match.

hmm....seems like a hard and diverse crowd to please it does.

That's more a function of different people's ideas/philosophies though than anything. Me, personally, I never want to see a Liverpool side sitting with 10 behind the ball in the first game of an away tie, but I can see why some would want that if that's their viewpoint and such.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1546 
      Reply #8300: Feb 14, 2013 08:46:13 pm
      BR fu**ed up tonight

So by the same reasoning, he's just gained more experience in two legged ties
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #8301: Feb 14, 2013 08:46:33 pm
      I suppose there's no point in dressing it up Si . And the longer we leave it the worst it gets.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #8302: Feb 14, 2013 08:48:41 pm
      The blunt fact of the matter is this ,when he had the chance against what we summise as weaker teams in the cups he put out weakened teams and we paid the price ,i asked at the time what is the point in resting players for them games if with a quarter of games to go you have relatively nothing to shoot at ,nothing Rodgers has done this year makes me believe he can motivate our team and turn around that deficit next week ,and that part alone saddens the fck out of me ,do i believe sacking him is right ,no i don,t, but part of that is because even if fsg did this i don,t believe they have the knowledge or the nous to put it right ,they are every bit as limited as BR seems to be at this time ,and that is a little bit more alarming for me.

Quick Reply