Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085981 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #1265: Jun 02, 2012 10:23:09 pm
      Worth a read this, excellent I must say.

Yup, again, encouraging news concerning BR
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1266: Jun 02, 2012 10:29:13 pm
      Well I'm not going to pretend to be mystic meg.

I will Judge Brendan Rodgers on what he does at Liverpool Fc when he does it.

Early signs are positive with his interviews.

The downside to that is intrviews don't win trophy's.

I'll make my opinions on Brendan Rodgers the football manager whilst he's managing our football team.

Thats fair on him, me and Liverpool FC.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #1267: Jun 02, 2012 10:35:21 pm
      Well after 18 months, FSG finally have their man.

So it's time for them to back him with time and money.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1268: Jun 02, 2012 10:39:04 pm
      This is becoming a really enjoyable appointment for me that is quite literally getting me more and more excited by the hour.

Throughout the season I'd heard the rumblings that he was an astute, up and coming manager, I'd seen him on various football shows (although I didn't really take in too much of what he was saying) and I was aware that Swansea were playing some decent stuff and doing well. Harry Redknapp also continued to get on my nerves as did Sam Allardyce, Joey Barton persisted in being Joey Barton and John Terry was John Terry.

All in all they they were all as important to me as each other - not at all.

So, when FSG sacked Kenny Dalglish and this Brendan Rodgers started to get linked with the vacant managers job at 'my' Liverpool, the job that was to go to nobody except Rafael Benitez, and then continued to do so I, rather ignorantly I must say, on these very pages waffled on about how if we appointed him we should accept mediocrity and this and that will happen.

Basically trying to sway everybody who wasn't team Rafa that Rafa was in fact the only way forward was what I was doing.

And then it became evident that Brendan Rodgers was about to become the next manager of Liverpool Football Club.

And I woke up.

I instantly made a decision to be excited by this. By doing so, and not saying or posting anything either negative or pessimistic, reading up and listening to this guy who I didn't really know much about beforehand has been actually fantastic. The guy is fresher than fresh, a tactical nerd, well spoken, confident beyond belief, media friendly, revered by his peers and at this moment - totally unfazed about the task at hand.

Looking back at his life and career feels as if I am actually starting to read back on a really, really amazing big book that came out a few years ago that is getting better and better from page to page.

I'm not expecting miracles and I'm certainly not trying to put pressure on people. I'm just enjoying every bit of the start of what could possibly be the start of something special at this club.

On these pages I haven't seen too many but; if you are a doubter of Rodgers, a lover of Rafa who hates the fact he was overlooked or a worshipper of King Kenny who can't get over the fact that the legend was sacked in favour of this relative unknown take my advice:

By taking a leap of faith, believing the hype and refraining from all negativity you will actually start looking forward to next season and in turn enjoy these early stages of the Brendan Rodgers tenure - if not you may actually look back in a year or three's time and think to yourself: 'Why was I so bitter towards the appointment that changed Liverpool Football Club for the better?'

IBRWT

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2012 11:16:13 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1269: Jun 02, 2012 11:33:09 pm
      I don't know exactly what it is but i love him already.

He has that little ego about him, mixed with enthusiasm and honesty.

Really, really raring to go. Can't wait to see how he does his job but no doubts in my mind he'll do a cracking job.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #1270: Jun 02, 2012 11:41:31 pm
      4 Managers in 3 years under Yank ownership.One a ECL winner,One the England Manager,and one a Legend at this club.Now "Buck" Rodgers,who totally has my support.IMO what we have to keep an eye on,as always recently,is the owners.Are any of them wearing hiking boots,or about to release a Christmas video?Possibly they might even appoint a support "Technical Board",that actually can contribute to "Bucks" success.Might I suggest,Benitez,Segura,Hypia and Dalgleish.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #1271: Jun 02, 2012 11:41:36 pm
      I don't know exactly what it is but i love him already.

He has that little ego about him, mixed with enthusiasm and honesty.

Really, really raring to go. Can't wait to see how he does his job but no doubts in my mind he'll do a cracking job.
      This.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #1272: Jun 03, 2012 01:04:22 am
      After reading and listening to more of his interviews, there are so many things he has said that make this appointment make sense to me.  He talked about hungry players - those that crave success - being instrumental in our success of the 70s and 80s, and I think he is one of the "hungry" ones he talks about.  In his own eyes he has not come here to fail - he has the desire to succeed.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1273: Jun 03, 2012 01:21:56 am
      Brendan is a very impressive character. When he speaks, others listen.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #1274: Jun 03, 2012 02:14:08 am
      I dont know much about Rodgers, but everything I have read and every person interviewed said this is a great choice for Liverpool. I saw his press conference and first Impression I like him. I actually didnt want to like him for some twisted sort of loyalty to KK. But Rodgers seems like a stand up, no bullshit manager. They say his tactics and style are great and some of the Football writers said his offensive style is the Barca of the EPL.

So, I will give him the time he needs to bring us a Title. I think this club and organization has turned a corner. I am very excited about 12/13 season and i cant wait.

However, I am equally upset that KK is no longer manager and I hope LFC do the right thing and continue a relationship w/ KK. He is my all time favorite player and coach. He deserves to be a part of this club and organization.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #1275: Jun 03, 2012 02:24:47 am
      I'm excited at the prospect at what he's going to bring to LFC.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1276: Jun 03, 2012 02:27:53 am
      This is becoming a really enjoyable appointment for me that is quite literally getting me more and more excited by the hour.

Throughout the season I'd heard the rumblings that he was an astute, up and coming manager, I'd seen him on various football shows (although I didn't really take in too much of what he was saying) and I was aware that Swansea were playing some decent stuff and doing well. Harry Redknapp also continued to get on my nerves as did Sam Allardyce, Joey Barton persisted in being Joey Barton and John Terry was John Terry.

All in all they they were all as important to me as each other - not at all.

So, when FSG sacked Kenny Dalglish and this Brendan Rodgers started to get linked with the vacant managers job at 'my' Liverpool, the job that was to go to nobody except Rafael Benitez, and then continued to do so I, rather ignorantly I must say, on these very pages waffled on about how if we appointed him we should accept mediocrity and this and that will happen.

Basically trying to sway everybody who wasn't team Rafa that Rafa was in fact the only way forward was what I was doing.

And then it became evident that Brendan Rodgers was about to become the next manager of Liverpool Football Club.

And I woke up.

I instantly made a decision to be excited by this. By doing so, and not saying or posting anything either negative or pessimistic, reading up and listening to this guy who I didn't really know much about beforehand has been actually fantastic. The guy is fresher than fresh, a tactical nerd, well spoken, confident beyond belief, media friendly, revered by his peers and at this moment - totally unfazed about the task at hand.

Looking back at his life and career feels as if I am actually starting to read back on a really, really amazing big book that came out a few years ago that is getting better and better from page to page.

I'm not expecting miracles and I'm certainly not trying to put pressure on people. I'm just enjoying every bit of the start of what could possibly be the start of something special at this club.

On these pages I haven't seen too many but; if you are a doubter of Rodgers, a lover of Rafa who hates the fact he was overlooked or a worshipper of King Kenny who can't get over the fact that the legend was sacked in favour of this relative unknown take my advice:

By taking a leap of faith, believing the hype and refraining from all negativity you will actually start looking forward to next season and in turn enjoy these early stages of the Brendan Rodgers tenure - if not you may actually look back in a year or three's time and think to yourself: 'Why was I so bitter towards the appointment that changed Liverpool Football Club for the better?'

IBRWT

Almost exactly what I felt. I thought "err no" when Martinez's and Rodgers name came up. In fact I preferred Martinez over Rodgers this time last week! Last week we all thought Martinez was on the verge of signing and yet I never came round to the idea. But when Rodgers was approached the second time each day seemed to get more encouraging. I warmed incredibly quickly to Rodger's and the way he seamlessly eased himself in on Friday was definitely exciting. The last time the vacancy of manager was available at the club (basically 2010) it couldn't have been more different. Then it was the "safe pair of hands" with a regressive out of date philosophy who seemed happy to settle for second best all the time and outlines a shocking lack of ambition through word and in the football. Yet Brendan comes in and instantly makes himself known at the club, to the staff and most importantly to the fans. He outlines his ambition to the club. He wants us back at the top! He wants us playing beautiful football! He wants to make Anfield a hell hole for opposition teams once again! It will take time for sure. It may take him a good couple of season to remedy things right, thus a good while before we get back into the Champions League again. But with the backing and understanding of the board, the players and the fans this man can go all the way.

For a man who seems to have achieved the impossible already, by uniting the fans so desperately upset (and angered) at the sacking of Kenny Dalglish, you wouldn't bet against him in letting us all realise our long held dreams.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1277: Jun 03, 2012 03:34:43 am
      Some great posts by what-a-hit-son and Frankly, Mr Shankly (love that name haha).

I was a bit unsure about Brendan Rodgers based on the unknown factor and the fact that he's only managed one season in the Premier League. But what I really like about him, beyond the fact that he set Swansea up to win every game, is that even though he doesn't have that top level experience, he thinks like a top level manager. When I listen to him talk about tactics and football philosophy, he simply gets it, if that makes sense. I can't really explain it, but the more I read about him and listen to him speak, he just gets modern football. On top of that, he understands - and appreciates - the club, our culture, and our history.

I have pretty good confidence in how he'll set the team up and the playing style he'll implement. My only reservation, though, is how he handles the transfer market. Having the budget of Liverpool simply doesn't compare to the shoestring budgets he's used to. He has a good eye, but he needs to be able to find consistent quality. I think someone like Charlie Adam is a good example. There were some games this season (when Lucas was fit) where he was the best player on the pitch. The problem was we couldn't get that consistently out of him probably because he's not a consistent good player.   

But I'm very excited by this appointment and am already pumped for next season. Let's make sure he gets a 100 percent backing.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1278: Jun 03, 2012 08:05:41 am
      Apologies if this is already in here, a decent read though.

By Roy Hendo on The Anfield Wrap:

For those of you watching on telly, Liverpool are the ones with the ball

AND so it would appear (time of writing 2.15pm, Wed 30th May 2012) that Brendan ‘B-Rod’ Rodgers will be the new manager of Liverpool Football Club. Jorge Valdano will be pleased.

“I remember a wonderful banner in the Liverpool stands from the days when TV was in black and white – it read: ‘For those of you watching on telly, Liverpool are the ones with the ball’. I used to support Liverpool just for that."

- Jorge Valdano

Brendan Rodgers likes the ball. And he likes control.

This is a good appointment, and having experienced something akin to mourning but a couple of weeks ago upon hearing the news of Kenny’s sacking, I’m happy to admit that, having thought things through, the club have gone with the bloke I wanted. Whether it’s through considered analysis and design is another matter… but even if they’ve stumbled on this solution, I think it’s the right one.

I use the word ‘solution’, because only a few weeks back I gave my views on what Liverpool’s problem was. I had hoped the club would back him to fix it himself, of course, but it wasn’t to be (and it may well be we lost something significant in the process – time will tell). The problem, to paraphrase it as I saw it, was that we lacked control. Its symptoms were as follows.
      1.tactical incoherence.
       2.poor decision making with the ball.
       3.players somehow forgetting how to finish.

The way to fix it? Well, it’s self-indulgent, but it illustrates my point, so here goes – a wee quote from myself in my last post on the subject.

Establish that tactical coherence, and the whole side gets a little calmer. When the whole side’s a little calmer, the decision making tends to get a little better. When you’re more controlled and dominant, and you’re less worried what will happen if you lose the ball in transition, you tend to make better choices. And when you’re making better choices, and those choices are happening within a coherent and balanced tactical framework, your game gets that little bit more ruthless. And we just need to be that crucial little bit more ruthless.

As I saw it, there were two routes to that tactical coherence. Either you bought or blooded another player like Lucas, or you changed the system to introduce what losing him deprived you of.

Well, Rodgers is the man when it comes to control. And he’s fresh from demonstrating his ability to exert it even with a squad full of supposedly ‘limited’ players. Without the ball, his Swansea side has shown energy and aggression, tactical and positional savvy (both individually and collectively), and admirable balance. They’re well drilled off the ball, and not in a passive way – the approach we came to loathe under Hodgson.

Meanwhile, Rodgers loves the ball. He’s greedy for it, and he wants his sides to monopolise its possession. That’s Liverpool football – the kind Valdano fell for all those years ago.

People criticise his football, saying his side lacked penetration in the final third; but the capacity to hurt sides increases with quality and integration – the squad – all squads at all levels – need to learn how to play what is the most ambitious mode of football a coach can try to implement, particularly when resources are limited. Play this brand of controlling football with a defensive unit that’s already arguably the best in its division, and with attacking resouces that, let’s face it, dwarf those Swansea had at their disposal… well, we’ll see, won’t we?

I’m quietly excited by the appointment. I just hope the structure being put in place enables the kind of approach to the game I personally yearn for at the club, as discussed in the following articles (again, self-indulgent, but it’s a drum I’ve been banging for a very long time).

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/05/for-those-of-you-watching-on-telly-liverpool-are-the-ones-with-the-ball/

sivapc22
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      Reply #1279: Jun 03, 2012 08:08:01 am
      Hodgson MKII all over again.

hoping he can prove me wrong. but his name doesn't excite me 1% for next season.

5Mil compensation and full power. WHAT THE F**k he has achieved?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1280: Jun 03, 2012 08:23:43 am

AND so it would appear (time of writing 2.15pm, Wed 30th May 2012) that Brendan ‘B-Rod’ Rodgers will be the new manager of Liverpool Football Club. Jorge Valdano will be pleased.

“I remember a wonderful banner in the Liverpool stands from the days when TV was in black and white – it read: ‘For those of you watching on telly, Liverpool are the ones with the ball’. I used to support Liverpool just for that."

- Jorge Valdano

This is a good appointment, and having experienced something akin to mourning but a couple of weeks ago upon hearing the news of Kenny’s sacking, I’m happy to admit that, having thought things through, the club have gone with the bloke I wanted. Whether it’s through considered analysis and design is another matter… but even if they’ve stumbled on this solution, I think it’s the right one.

I use the word ‘solution’, because only a few weeks back I gave my views on what Liverpool’s problem was. I had hoped the club would back him to fix it himself, of course, but it wasn’t to be (and it may well be we lost something significant in the process – time will tell). The problem, to paraphrase it as I saw it, was that we lacked control. Its symptoms were as follows.
      1.tactical incoherence.

The way to fix it? Well, it’s self-indulgent, but it illustrates my point, so here goes – a wee quote from myself in my last post on the subject.

Establish that tactical coherence, and the whole side gets a little calmer. When the whole side’s a little calmer, the decision making tends to get a little better. When you’re more controlled and dominant, and you’re less worried what will happen if you lose the ball in transition, you tend to make better choices. And when you’re making better choices, and those choices are happening within a coherent and balanced tactical framework, your game gets that little bit more ruthless. And we just need to be that crucial little bit more ruthless.

As I saw it, there were two routes to that tactical coherence. Either you bought or blooded another player like Lucas, or you changed the system to introduce what losing him deprived you of.

Well, Rodgers is the man when it comes to control. And he’s fresh from demonstrating his ability to exert it even with a squad full of supposedly ‘limited’ players. Without the ball, his Swansea side has shown energy and aggression, tactical and positional savvy (both individually and collectively), and admirable balance. They’re well drilled off the ball, and not in a passive way – the approach we came to loathe under Hodgson.

Meanwhile, Rodgers loves the ball. He’s greedy for it, and he wants his sides to monopolise its possession. That’s Liverpool football – the kind Valdano fell for all those years ago.

People criticise his football, saying his side lacked penetration in the final third; but the capacity to hurt sides increases with quality and integration – the squad – all squads at all levels – need to learn how to play what is the most ambitious mode of football a coach can try to implement, particularly when resources are limited. Play this brand of controlling football with a defensive unit that’s already arguably the best in its division, and with attacking resouces that, let’s face it, dwarf those Swansea had at their disposal… well, we’ll see, won’t we?

I’m quietly excited by the appointment. I just hope the structure being put in place enables the kind of approach to the game I personally yearn for at the club, as discussed in the following articles (again, self-indulgent, but it’s a drum I’ve been banging for a very long time).

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/05/for-those-of-you-watching-on-telly-liverpool-are-the-ones-with-the-ball/

Excellent piece mate, post that as much as you like for me.
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012 01:02:17 am by crouchinho »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1281: Jun 03, 2012 09:27:02 am
      ...et moi.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1282: Jun 03, 2012 09:41:57 am
      BR is growing more and more on me every day. Can't wait till August to see the start of what could be a magnificent era.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1283: Jun 03, 2012 10:20:20 am
      Well I'm not going to pretend to be mystic meg.

I will Judge Brendan Rodgers on what he does at Liverpool Fc when he does it.

Early signs are positive with his interviews.

The downside to that is intrviews don't win trophy's.

I'll make my opinions on Brendan Rodgers the football manager whilst he's managing our football team.

Thats fair on him, me and Liverpool FC.

My feelings too mate. I am more worried about the over reaction at the moment to his apppointment than his actual appointment. If things don't go as well as we all hope from the start I think there will be a corresponding over reaction in the opposite direction from some of these same people.

Yes we have to give him support, but he is not the messiah yet and we need to be level headed rather than over the top in our expectations and admiration. I am willing to give him time to show just what he can do,  the praise he deserves when he does it, but I am not joining any cult until I have seen a miracle or two.

Early days, but I have been impressed with him so far.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1284: Jun 03, 2012 10:23:34 am
      My feelings too mate. I am more worried about the over reaction at the moment to his apppointment than his actual appointment. If things don't go as well as we all hope from the start I think there will be a corresponding over reaction in the opposite direction from some of these same people.

Yes we have to give him support, but he is not the messiah yet and we need to be level headed rather than over the top in our expectations and admiration. I am willing to give him time to show just what he can do,  the praise he deserves when he does it, but I am not joining any cult until I have seen a miracle or two.

Early days, but I have been impressed with him so far.

I think you have both summed up my feelings very well

I have some worries and concerns about the appointment but hopefully he will put them at ease.

The proof will be the performances and results
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #1285: Jun 03, 2012 10:30:49 am

- Jorge Valdano

1.tactical incoherence.

I do like the Anfield wrap, cracking listen and always good articles posted. Have to say though I much prefer 'Brenno' to 'B-Rod'.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1286: Jun 03, 2012 11:46:26 am
      For me its about handling my expectations the right way, Brendan has come in from a lower team and has never managed a Gerrard or a Suarez or a club with the expectations of Liverpool FC before.

My expectations will start low taking the above and more into consideration, I will afford him the time and patience to build my expectations on a game by game basis as I don't expect it all to fall into place over night.

There has been some good articles about Rodgers, but then again there was some good ones about Roy before he was appointed.

I'm optimistic that if Rodgers can transfer his football philosophy from Swansea over to us then he may be quite successfull, what I'll not do is be overly optimistic and talk about titles returning to Anfield before he's even managed a game, I'm not setting myself up for a fall.

Only Brendan Rodgers can change my cautiously optimistic approach to his appointment by getting in the dug out and showing us what he can do and I must say, I can't wait to see him there.

I've made no secret of saying that Roy Evans Liverpool played beautiful football albeit they couldn't defend for Toffee, but I do see some similarities in the style of football Rodgers likes and wants to play to that of Roy Evans and if we get that, I'll be as happy as a pig in sh*t.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #1287: Jun 03, 2012 11:50:57 am
      One thing i must point out is that the PR behind his appointment has been non stop, the walk around through the corridors of Melwood meeting the tea lady etc etc, never seen that done for our previous managers,are they trying to build him up so we all back him?.

He has my support and i do have a good feeling about the appointment but as Daz & S@int make good points only time will tell.

I hope for our sanity it works for Brendan and we achieve great things under his stewardship otherwise we may find ourselves chopping and changing managers like the Chavs.

Quick Reply