Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085762 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #1311: Jun 03, 2012 08:06:37 pm
      We won a cup I can`t even remember after how many years.... we were in the FA cup final for me  it was an improvement on its own just because we finish
      in bad position in the league Kenny was not given more time why will they give him more time .Roy was not even given the full season..after a long time we we finally won something
      with Kenny .... and even King Kenny was  not..why will they give Rodgers more time.

My own view is that Kenny tried to build his team by buying good players (whether they were or not is another argument), and would have looked to build on those foundations by buying other good players.

I think FSG see Brendan as someone who will build a system of play that doesn't rely on buying top players, but just players that fit his system. Whether he can or not will decide his future and possibly FSG's  as well.

Similar to what Parry said when Rafa first arrived, that they thought he was a manager who could challenge for titles without spending huge amounts.

Under FFP rules maybe Brendan has a chance?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1312: Jun 03, 2012 08:17:02 pm
      His style of football needs his players to be 100% behind him and he had that at Swansea. We saw what happend at chelsea when the manager didnt get the support he deserved.I hope all our players switch on but there will be those who will not benefit from his arrival and its keeping them happy will be a real test of managment.

That's fair comment Walton, but if a player is not 100% with Brendan then he can f***in do one, and i don't think Brendan will be holding back and will tell him and others in no uncertain terms just exactly what is required,

we don't want players half-hearted,whingeing and moaning,your either part of the programme or not, if not they can F**k off, simples.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1313: Jun 03, 2012 08:19:54 pm
      Hodgson MKII all over again.

hoping he can prove me wrong. but his name doesn't excite me 1% for next season.

5Mil compensation and full power. WHAT THE F**k he has achieved?

Excuse me
      With utmost respect.

Who gives a 1% f**k what negative sh*te you think ?
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #1314: Jun 03, 2012 08:21:48 pm
      My own view is that Kenny tried to build his team by buying good players (whether they were or not is another argument), and would have looked to build on those foundations by buying other good players.

I think FSG see Brendan as someone who will build a system of play that doesn't rely on buying top players, but just players that fit his system. Whether he can or not will decide his future and possibly FSG's  as well.

Similar to what Parry said when Rafa first arrived, that they thought he was a manager who could challenge for titles without spending huge amounts.

For me is, every manager needs time to be successful at any club...doesn't matter  you buy good players  or you buy players to fit your system of play ,and for me FSG`s don`t have
      that time.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1315: Jun 03, 2012 08:25:37 pm
      We won a cup I can`t even remember after how many years.... we were in the FA cup final for me  it was an improvement on its own just because we finish
      in bad position in the league Kenny was not given more time why will they give him more time .Roy was not even given the full season..after a long time we we finally won something
      with Kenny .... and even King Kenny was  not..why will they give Rodgers more time.
      I"m in full agreement that kenny wasn"t given enough time , that train has left the station now sadly.we know that 18 months isn"t enough so why not give brendan the full amount that Kenny should have got. In my opinion 2 wrongs don"t make a right.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1316: Jun 03, 2012 08:31:19 pm

The ffp rules are an arse Saint ,we all know that. I"m in the opinion that Henry sacked Kenny simply because of the bad press over suarez and maybe Standard chartered gave them an ultimatum , Kenny goes or we do.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1317: Jun 03, 2012 08:45:08 pm

hoping he can prove me wrong. but his name doesn't excite me 1% for next season.

Spoken like a TRUE RED (my fukcing Arse)How can you judge a man when we have not even kicked a ball yet or know what our team is likely to look like.Give the man a chance.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1318: Jun 03, 2012 08:45:27 pm
      The ffp rules are an arse Saint ,we all know that. I"m in the opinion that Henry sacked Kenny simply because of the bad press over suarez and maybe Standard chartered gave them an ultimatum , Kenny goes or we do.

You may be right mate, the silence from FSG over Suarez was deafening...... and also wrong imo. However the only criticism from FSG (Henry) was their disappointment in Kenny's signings, so I think there was possibly more than one reason.

Whether it was one reason or many reasons there is still no doubt in my mind that it was wrong to sack Kenny after one season.

Reading what FSG have said my belief is they don't believe they can or will buy their way to success (FFP or no FFP), but will look to bring in young players (rather than stars) who can be developed and integrated into the right system...... which is where I think Brendan came into the equation. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      Reply #1319: Jun 03, 2012 09:19:47 pm

Firstly, it was six years since our last cup win, it was against West Ham Utd, any decent Liverpool supporter will remember that significant part of our history,shame on you for your ignorance,

although i do agree that FSG were to hasty in terminating Kenny's contract, i'm coming round now to their way of thinking, initially Kenny was a interim manager,he gave the club such a lift it would seem a act of betrayal had they not offered him the post full time,

Kenny was doing a fantastic job, and yes he did need more time, we as fans,supporters recognised that more so at the end of the season, also there is no doubt in my mind that kenny would have turned things round,but FSG had a plan,a plan that will take this club to another level,it's been far far to long since we tasted league success,

in the eyes of FSG, finishing 8th in the EPL was simply not acceptable, had we finished within a point or two of the intended target(4th) i do believe Kenny would still be on his throne, that's the cold hard facts FSG looked at and very obviously was the tipping point in the decision they made,

Brendan Rodgers is a FSG appointment, this is their baby, they in fairness have tried they old method, now they want to implement theirs,

they are looking to the future and see Brendan as a young confident manager with the skills, mindset, philosophy, and determination to succeed, they probably looked at others possibly more experienced and would probably be less of a gamble,

they see Brendan as a very successful manager with whichever club he went to, and are stealing a march by employing him now rather than trying to attract him at a later date,

it is a gamble but a gamble worth taking imo, he hasn't won anything that is true, but the potential is there,everyone can see that, from those he has worked with, to his fellow EPL managers,

i was gutted at losing Kenny, i love the man he is and alway's will be a legend, but i'm excited by the manner in which Brendan has begun life at LFC, his persona,the things he says, his ideas, everything about him just feels right, so give the bloke a break and get right behind him,and if things do go tits up you can then come on here and tell us all, ''i told you so'' until then be a proper supporter and support instead of sticking the boot in before a ball has been kicked.

IBWT      YNWA
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1320: Jun 03, 2012 09:31:58 pm
      Wish the season would start now and I could start to gettin to know the guy a bit better, how he reacts after wins, after defeats, how the side is setup, what new players he plans to bring in, who's going the other direction, what that means w.r.t. style of play etc etc etc
      Certainly carries himself well and is saying the right things. Still 'early doors' though (argh, missin the clunky old MOTD cliches)
      Haven't seen or heard anything from KK since he left. Not sure if I've just missed it. No statement, nothing. Would love to hear him getting behind Brendan too.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1321: Jun 03, 2012 09:37:51 pm
      Wish the season would start now and I could start to gettin to know the guy a bit better, how he reacts after wins, after defeats, how the side is setup, what new players he plans to bring in, who's going the other direction, what that means w.r.t. style of play etc etc etc
      Certainly carries himself well and is saying the right things. Still 'early doors' though (argh, missin the clunky old MOTD cliches)
      Haven't seen or heard anything from KK since he left. Not sure if I've just missed it. No statement, nothing. Would love to hear him getting behind Brendan too.

Kenneth Dalglish ‏@kennethdalglish
      Congratulations to Brendan and Good Luck to everyone at LFC. Kenny
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #1322: Jun 03, 2012 09:38:29 pm
      Firstly, it was six years since our last cup win, it was against West Ham Utd, any decent Liverpool supporter will remember that significant part of our history,shame on you for your ignorance,

although i do agree that FSG were to hasty in terminating Kenny's contract, I'm coming round now to their way of thinking, initially Kenny was a interim manager,he gave the club such a lift it would seem a act of betrayal had they not offered him the post full time,

Kenny was doing a fantastic job, and yes he did need more time, we as fans,supporters recognised that more so at the end of the season, also there is no doubt in my mind that kenny would have turned things round,but FSG had a plan,a plan that will take this club to another level,it's been far far to long since we tasted league success,

in the eyes of FSG, finishing 8th in the EPL was simply not acceptable, had we finished within a point or two of the intended target(4th) i do believe Kenny would still be on his throne, that's the cold hard facts FSG looked at and very obviously was the tipping point in the decision they made,

Brendan Rodgers is a FSG appointment, this is their baby, they in fairness have tried they old method, now they want to implement theirs,

they are looking to the future and see Brendan as a young confident manager with the skills, mindset, philosophy, and determination to succeed, they probably looked at others possibly more experienced and would probably be less of a gamble,

they see Brendan as a very successful manager with whichever club he went to, and are stealing a march by employing him now rather than trying to attract him at a later date,

it is a gamble but a gamble worth taking imo, he hasn't won anything that is true, but the potential is there,everyone can see that, from those he has worked with, to his fellow EPL managers,

i was gutted at losing Kenny, i love the man he is and alway's will be a legend, but i'm excited by the manner in which Brendan has begun life at LFC, his persona,the things he says, his ideas, everything about him just feels right, so give the bloke a break and get right behind him,and if things do go tits up you can then come on here and tell us all, ''i told you so'' until then be a proper supporter and support instead of sticking the boot in before a ball has been kicked.

IBWT      YNWA
      I'm not saying that Rodgers will not be successful at LFC.....I like his style of play but the big question is will he be given enough time .....and I'm still saying
      that the minimum he can do to have long future at LFC is a top ,and that is what FSG want
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1323: Jun 03, 2012 09:46:32 pm
      Well well well. Every time i read or see another interview with this man i just keep hanging on his every word. It's coming from the heart from Brendan, you can see it in his eyes. The steely determination, the doggedness, the relentless pursuit of his own version of total football and his unflinching belief in what he knows he can achieve.

We are now a part of that belief, he's not hiding at all, he's putting himself out there for the World to see. Whether people believe he is the man for the job is obviously open to debate, he wasn't my first choice, Andre Villas Boas was. One of the reasons for that choice apart from the trophies he'd won was the fact that he'd worked under Mourinho, something he shares with Brendan.

I honestly thought there was no chance of him leaving Swansea after the Season they had just had so the thought of us getting him never even crossed my mind. The opportunity of managing the biggest Club in the world  was obviously going to be a massive temptation, especially for a young man cutting his teeth in the Premier League. Negotiations obviously took place and Brendan set out his criteria for his requirements of the owners should he take the job.

The main concern for us as supporters was whether we'd get a yes man to fit into the new 'structure', comprising of a Sporting Director and 2 other positions which would basically encompass and rename the old 'DoF' role. It was great to know that Brendan stipulated that under no circumstances whatsoever would he relinquish all or any control over the playing side of the Club. Another sign of a man with the balls to fight for what he wants and believes in.

What is of utmost importance to me is that we got a manager that got who we are, what we stand for and what we expect, after all, this is the greatest Club on Earth. He does get it, he gets us, he gets the Club, he knows what Liverpool expects.

Talking of managers that get us, Rafa would have been welcome back in my eyes. If anyone got us then Rafa did but there was always that nagging doubt in my mind about whether he'd learned from his previous mistakes due to his unrelenting stubbornness. It wasn't to be and with hindsight it could have been the wrong move due to the guaranteed change in our style of play if he had returned.

Which leads me to my next point, our style of football. I can't hide from my hatred towards FSG for their treatment of Kenny Dalglish, the way they hung him out to dry over the Suarez affair and his flight to the USA to be told he was sacked. It went totally against the morals and principles of our Club and it hurt, it F***ing hurt! and it's still hurting now. I am trying to vent that anger to ease the mental pressure but the pressure gauge is still in the red.

My biggest concern about the next manager didn't involve credentials, it wasn't about previous titles won etc. It was about the philosophy of our next manager, whether he would have the same beliefs as Dalglish and build on the solid foundations that our King had laid or whether he'd come in all guns blazing and rip the foundations up and start again. Luckily for us Brendan shares a very similar philosophy to Dalglish with the emphasis on pass and move football. It has been a relief to see Brendan commending Dalglish on his recent work and identifying with the type of football that Liverpool fans expect to see.

I'm not over Dalglish yet, i don't think i ever will be, how do you get over the sacking of a man that never deserved to be sacked?. Quite simply, you can't.

I'm not going to compare Brendan to any of our previous managers, though i do see several characteristics in the man akin to many of our managers of yesteryear. Maybe that's my point really, i see a bit of everything in Brendan. The steel of Shankly, the modesty of Paisley, the astuteness of Fagan, the enthusiasm of Dalglish and the focus of Benitez.

Am i looking for things that aren't there?. No i'm not, i see them in every interview or presser. The pain from the departure of Dalglish is still fresh but i'm hoping Brendan can ease that pain as time goes by. Only time will tell i suppose but all the signs are there that Brendan could be here for a very long time and join a long list of successful Liverpool managers.

I see it and i feel it, don't ask me why because i can't pinpoint it just quite yet, but it's there, that feeling of something big and great about to happen.

One thing you can't deny is that Brendan means business. Well i'm aboard for the ride.

In Brendan We Trust.            You'll Never Walk Alone.                    Bring It Home.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1324: Jun 03, 2012 10:03:38 pm

All the faith of bitter blue.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #1325: Jun 03, 2012 10:08:09 pm

Oh dear.

Let me point your attention to this:

doni against fulham made more saves then reina in the entire season.

the problem he thinks and the club thinks he's above the rest.

no.

at the moment, doni is better than him and reina doesn't deserve to be in the spain's squad.

That quote just made any opinion you may have about Liverpool FC from that point onwards, moot.
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012 04:58:33 pm by Reslivo »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      Reply #1326: Jun 03, 2012 10:13:21 pm
      I'm not saying that Rodgers will not be successful at LFC.....I like his style of play but the big question is will he be given enough time .....and I'm still saying
      that the minimum he can do to have long future at LFC is a top ,and that is what FSG want

To answer your question it is YES,they will give Brendan the time, obviously if it were to go completely tits up then ok they will have alot to answer for,but nobody gets anywhere unless they put their head on the block and takes a risk, i think if FSG see a significant improvement they will be happy enough to afford more time for Brendan to reach the top, but a top 4 finish next season would certainly be the perfect start.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1327: Jun 03, 2012 10:22:16 pm
      Talking of managers that get us, Rafa would have been welcome back in my eyes. If anyone got us then Rafa did but there was always that nagging doubt in my mind about whether he'd learned from his previous mistakes due to his unrelenting stubbornness. It wasn't to be and with hindsight it could have been the wrong move due to the guaranteed change in our style of play if he had returned.

The other thing Hardcore , about Rafa , is that not 100% of us were for him coming back and the massive risk was there for divisiveness either on his appointment or on any mistake he later made ...............

and divisiveness was precisely what King Kenny healed and put behind us.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1328: Jun 03, 2012 10:22:56 pm

Therein lies the problem my irate friend. It is not what he has achieved that should concern you my angry little muffin but what can he achieve given time and support?. You are a part of that support if you want to be, the choice is yours.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1329: Jun 03, 2012 10:26:23 pm

The other thing Hardcore , about Rafa , is that 100% of all of us were not for him coming back and the massive risk was there for divisiveness either on his appointment or on any mistake he later made ...............

and divisiveness was precisely what King Kenny healed and put behind us.

Exactly right Skip. I'm hoping we can all unite in support of Brendan, he's got it, i can just feel it.

This is a clean slate.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #1330: Jun 03, 2012 10:36:01 pm

Kenneth Dalglish ‏@kennethdalglish
      Congratulations to Brendan and Good Luck to everyone at LFC. Kenny

Every time i see that tweet on this board i fall to pieces. To the core is our King.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1331: Jun 03, 2012 10:53:15 pm

although i do agree that FSG were to hasty in terminating Kenny's contract, i'm coming round now to their way of thinking, initially Kenny was a interim manager,he gave the club such a lift it would seem a act of betrayal had they not offered him the post full time,

IBWT      YNWA

That's a cracking post mate
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      Reply #1332: Jun 03, 2012 11:07:05 pm

Cheers 'N' Beers mate, YNWA
      shardi
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #1333: Jun 04, 2012 12:20:34 am
      I must admit, I was one of those who wanted Rafa back after not wanting the King to be sacked.

Having had time to reflect on the past 2 weeks I can understand FSG wanting a fresh start.

The more I see BR, the more I hear him and the more I read about him, I feel FSG have made an excellent decision.

I just hope BR gets the time and that bit of luck to realise his potential here. Just can't wait for the season to kick off now.

Quick Reply