Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3086226 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34477: Sep 03, 2015 07:56:06 am
      From the second Gilette and Hicks were hired.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34478: Sep 03, 2015 08:03:14 am
      I think he's got until Christmas and I think that's the right thing to do here. That said, I honestly believe that 2 or 3 poor results and he'll be gone.

Personally Rush mate I think he will get at least the whole season

but enough that if the money is spent wisely (i.e. no more buying a pool of 16 players only to sell on or loan out half of them within 18 months), they can get a top class player every summer transfer window.

That was the point I was making above though mate, the fees are there in the turnover of the club and player sales, the wages those top class players want aren't there, aren't being offered

Of all the players he has brought in were any signed on even 100k plus apart from Milner? Sturridge is now but wasn't signed on it.
      That's 100k, elite players now want 150k +

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #34479: Sep 03, 2015 08:08:04 am
      Someone mentioned that WHU beat Arsenal did you know Arsenal had 22 shots 6 on target where has Rogers team had one shot on target and one hit the post.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #34480: Sep 03, 2015 08:29:08 am
      I think we are now fast becoming a "sleeping giant", a club with the resources and the potential to win things but without the direction needed to achieve these things

:laugh:

Kin'el S@int. You only realise that now with Rodgers in charge and after 27 years!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34481: Sep 03, 2015 08:58:38 am
      From the second Gilette and Hicks were hired.

The rot was in before they took over, they just made it far worse.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #34482: Sep 03, 2015 09:00:46 am
      Milner is not an "elite" player.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34483: Sep 03, 2015 09:08:21 am
      Milner is not an "elite" player.

I didn't say he was, I was simply saying he is about the only one brought in on over 100k in Rodgers tenure

Which tells its own story of the level of player we are going for and therefore the squad we are gaining.

Inexperienced players led by an inexperienced manager with a few gambles as topping

The fsg way

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #34484: Sep 03, 2015 09:16:27 am
      Nothing really seems to have changed very much. There's no fluency in the team; the defence is still dodgy and the attack is impotent.

The lack of threat in attack after the money spent in the summer is the most damning indictment. We look as toothless as ever. Without Suarez and Sturridge there to pull out goals with their own raw talent, Rodgers seems to lack the ideas to create an attack that creates regular goal scoring chances. His defensive stupidity is highlighted by his persistence with Lovren - who is always an accident waiting to happen.

It's all gloomy at the moment because Liverpool can't get hammered like that by such mediocre outfits at Anfield. Unfortunately it's a recurring occurence with Rodgers nowadays. I think we'll scramble along until his position is untenable, which in reality it was after the Stoke defeat last season. But with FSG in charge, and his cosy relationship with baseball guy/hedge fund guy/ now Director of football Mike Gordon, we might need to be in the relegation zone before they act.

This is how I see it as well.

To see others on here justifying the west ham loss because arsenal got beat as well by them is a joke.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,545 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #34485: Sep 03, 2015 09:27:32 am
      Brendan came here as a manager whose teams were based on the principles of possession based football, pressing and being attack orientated. He needs to go back to those principles and then live or die depending on the results. I know there has been talk mainly in the press that he has decided to be more pragmatic in his approach but I believe he should go back to basics as he seems to have got confused about what his 'style' and approach to games should be. At least if he does go back to basis with the odd necessary tweek every now and then it will be clearer to see what his methods are as at the moment it seems one big fudge. Be brave and live or die by your decisions and back your own ability as he does appear to rate himself quite highly.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #34486: Sep 03, 2015 09:33:04 am
      The truth is no Liverpool team should be beaten, so soundly, by West Ham home or away.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34487: Sep 03, 2015 09:47:51 am
      Look....on paper, it looks like a no brainer, I fully conceded that...but there's just this small fairly rational part of my brain that wonders "Well what if Ancelloti or Klopp come here and they can't get this team winning".

Exactly right - what evidence is there that Ancelotti or Klopp wil succeed at our club?

Yes both have been successful in the past but Ancelotti has managed superstar clubs with superstar players - we have a rebuilding job to do here.

Klopp - when he went to Dortmund - did not have a CV that was much better than Brendan's. He succeeded at Dortmund thanks partly to the players that he had (bought for him by a transfer committee) and when those players were sold the team bombed (see any parrallels?). If the German league had four teams with a chance of the title rather than just Bayern where would he be?

As I posted in an earlier thread, because of his record Klopp would be an ambitious move for our club but whether or not it would work is a different matter.

The most guaranteed chance of success, by far, would be Rafa and even that would be a gamble.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34488: Sep 03, 2015 09:55:05 am
      I didn't say he was, I was simply saying he is about the only one brought in on over 100k in Rodgers tenure

Which tells its own story of the level of player we are going for and therefore the squad we are gaining.

Inexperienced players led by an inexperienced manager with a few gambles as topping

The fsg way

So what other way do you want? bring in a bunch of "elite" players and outspend our rivals?

Well City just spent £45 million on Sterling and £54 million on De Bruyne - you can double those figures to add in wages - neither of them being truly first rank players in any case.

So where do you want to find £200m for two players from? What if City buy another two?

If you have a better plan we are all ears - right now, unless there is a huge undiscovered oilfield under Anfield,  taking calculated risks and improving on our methods season by season is the only way.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #34489: Sep 03, 2015 10:08:00 am
      Brendan came here as a manager whose teams were based on the principles of possession based football, pressing and being attack orientated. He needs to go back to those principles and then live or die depending on the results. I know there has been talk mainly in the press that he has decided to be more pragmatic in his approach but I believe he should go back to basics as he seems to have got confused about what his 'style' and approach to games should be. At least if he does go back to basis with the odd necessary tweek every now and then it will be clearer to see what his methods are as at the moment it seems one big fudge. Be brave and live or die by your decisions and back your own ability as he does appear to rate himself quite highly.

He's gone from death by football, to direct high pace attacking with Luis, to a big man in Benteke.

Fenway and Rodgers are one and the same. They need/want each other. But the fans and our future want neither.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34490: Sep 03, 2015 10:16:36 am
      If you have a better plan we are all ears - right now, unless there is a huge undiscovered oilfield under Anfield,  taking calculated risks and improving on our methods season by season is the only way.

But are we really improving on our methods season by season ?

I don't think there would be much of the discord if that was true.

Our methods from last season have seen 4 of the signings we made last summer leave the club, be it permanently or on loan, that could quite easily increase next summer given the form of Lovren, Lallana's injuries and Moreno being kept out of the side by a right footed central defender.

Think its time we were are all honest with ourselves, there is something fundamentally wrong at the club and it is seriously hampering us on the footballing side of the business.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #34491: Sep 03, 2015 10:20:15 am
      He's gone from death by football, to direct high pace attacking with Luis, to a big man in Benteke.

Fenway and Rodgers are one and the same. They need/want each other. But the fans and our future want neither.

FSG would seek to impose their faulted financial sporting ideology on whoever they install as manager.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34492: Sep 03, 2015 10:30:24 am
      So what other way do you want? bring in a bunch of "elite" players and outspend our rivals?

Well City just spent £45 million on Sterling and £54 million on De Bruyne - you can double those figures to add in wages - neither of them being truly first rank players in any case.

So where do you want to find £200m for two players from? What if City buy another two?

Are you saying we can't afford one or two of that type? That we need oil money to have a long term vision that is tinkered each year rather than ripped up and started again year in year out with 6 or so new faces? A new formation? More emperors new clothes each year?

Look weat not be able to afford as many top level players as city throw up but I won't accept that we can't afford any..

I'd rather we had a plan even two windows ago that we build around a formation or two, a strategy on how to play, settling in and making a Markovic work, develop him into a system and then the next window add one or two to that base, to that settled side.. Add two or three new faces this summer and one being a stellar signing

I can't and won't accept that a club of our size and stature with the will to do it can't afford a couple of top players a summer added to a base

If we constantly rip up and start again we will never... Ever... Break back into that level of consistent performance

I don't believe that if we signed a real top earner that everyone else wants anew contract, I'm sure they would be delighted of we could have kept Suarez on 300k if it meant them challenging for honours and them taking home their 4m a year

So no mate I don't expect us to sign a squad full the likes of City but I don't believe we can't afford any, and if we accept we cant and the club shows no ambition or vision then we will have to accept being an also ran

Constantly bringing in 100m of talent and F***ing a lot of it away on loan after 12 months is no way to build

In my opinion

The current way is not working I'm affraid no matter how much we try to convince ourselves it is
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34493: Sep 03, 2015 10:57:27 am

Lets be more realistic, it's not the only way, we have a gigantic fan base so marketing revenue and kit/merchandise sales are huge, plus the new tv money which is astronomical. Oil field ? wtf kid. These owners are having money baths in their hot tub with us here. Cutting everyone out that ask for money except Milner, Haha pug ears gets the money, we can all relax now. They are building a new stand wow, swoons, nearly faint through the enormous bank debt they will put on the club if they go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #34494: Sep 03, 2015 11:41:37 am
      I'm quite quickly getting back to where I was last season where the boss is concerned and I really hope my gut feeling is wrong.

I think again we have bought good players, some of them very good, but I'm not sure they have been bought with any clear plan in mind or at least with a view to where they got into our side.

Once again I have a feeling that we have a very good squad that isn't going to be utilised properly and a manager that will quite quickly loss the courage of his convictions and start chopping and changing game to game and even during a 90 mins.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2015 12:29:52 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #34495: Sep 03, 2015 12:19:30 pm
      I'm quite quickly getting back to where I was last season where the boss is concerned and I really hope my gut feeling is wrong.

I think again we have bought good players, dome of them very good, but I'm not sure they have been bought with any clear plan in mind or at least with a view to where they got into our side.

Once again I have a feeling that we have a very good squad that isn't going to be utilised properly and a manager that will quite quickly loss the courage of his convictions and start chopping and changing game to game and even during a 90 mins.
      You know, maybe we don't have a good squad. Maybe some of us are kidding ourselves and wanting to believe that. Maybe we only have a handful of players that other teams want and the rest just aren't cut out for top level football?

The players that I wouldn't want to replace or think would be very hard to replace without spending exorbitant money: Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge, Benteke?

I'm not sure there that we couldn't improve upon all the others with prudent selection and spending.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #34496: Sep 03, 2015 12:32:04 pm
      You know, maybe we don't have a good squad. Maybe some of us are kidding ourselves and wanting to believe that. Maybe we only have a handful of players that other teams want and the rest just aren't cut out for top level football?

The players that I wouldn't want to replace or think would be very hard to replace without spending exorbitant money: Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge, Benteke?

I'm not sure there that we couldn't improve upon all the others with prudent selection and spending.

I diasgree mate. Its not full of absolute top drawer players like City but it's a very good squad of players.

Ask yourself this question.

Same squad with a Rafa Benitez as coach. Where would you see us going this season?

Not trying to get into a Rafa/Brendan debate but just a hypothetical.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #34497: Sep 03, 2015 12:35:28 pm
      I diasgree mate. Its not full of absolute top drawer players like City but it's a very good squad of players.

Same squad with a Rafa Benitez as coach. Where would you see us going this season?

Don't know honestly because to me it's not really a "Rafa" squad.

That's why I'm a bit reluctant to just say bring in Klopp or Ancellotti, I think we may still find our team wanting.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #34498: Sep 03, 2015 12:51:09 pm
      Don't know honestly because to me it's not really a "Rafa" squad.

In what way?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34499: Sep 03, 2015 12:55:50 pm

I'll answer this Si, 100% top 4 slot at least, no question!

YNWA

Quick Reply