Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3067347 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34500: Sep 03, 2015 12:59:58 pm
      The truth is no Liverpool team should be beaten, so soundly, by West Ham home or away.

That's elitist bullshit, especially in a league in which the, so-called, lesser lights get results against the bigger teams, far more often than in other leagues.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #34501: Sep 03, 2015 01:01:23 pm
      Someone posted the rot set in before H&G but 2005 CL winner ,2006 Super Cup, Fa Cup winners , 2007  CL final plus good EPL finishes in 06/07 is light years away from where we are now. I want Brendan to succeed because it would mean FSG dont get the chance to employ someone who is totally inexperienced or unsuitable for running a world renowned football club..oh too late.
      Its wrong that a hiding at Old Trafford will pile more pressure on and its also wrong that a win will take the pressure off we shouldnt work like that.
      But this man has been backed more than any other manager in the clubs history and to date has nothing to show for it whilst not totally responsible for players coming in any manager worth his salt would insist on having the final say.
      I want us to win against UTD and every other game we play but while we have a partnership of FSG and Brendan we are going nowhere.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #34502: Sep 03, 2015 01:03:33 pm
      That's elitist bullshit, especially in a league in which the, so-called, lesser lights get results against the bigger teams, far more often than in other leagues.

I think the phrase which should have been highlighted was "beaten soundly".
      All teams can get beaten but playing at home and registering one shot on target by a CB and in fact never looking like scoring is what no LFC fan should expect against West Ham at Anfield.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34503: Sep 03, 2015 01:04:13 pm

I agree to the extent that it's the competitiveness (if not the quality ) that makes the league what it is but I think David meant more the style and ease that they beat us (especially at Anfield)
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34504: Sep 03, 2015 01:10:02 pm
      But are we really improving on our methods season by season ?

I don't think there would be much of the discord if that was true.

Our methods from last season have seen 4 of the signings we made last summer leave the club, be it permanently or on loan, that could quite easily increase next summer given the form of Lovren, Lallana's injuries and Moreno being kept out of the side by a right footed central defender.

Think its time we were are all honest with ourselves, there is something fundamentally wrong at the club and it is seriously hampering us on the footballing side of the business.

Yes we are - in fact I started a thread on it.

Compared to last season we have got our targets in early, given the power to the manager, upgraded the backroom staff, improved our physicality - the list goes on.

If it doesn't work now it's down to Brendan - everything else has been addressed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34505: Sep 03, 2015 01:31:59 pm
      How many of those players would be here, if Brendan was solely in charge of deciding which players were brought in? I am sure he would have chosen  quality over quantity, but that decision was taken out of his hands.
      Looking at it now, it seems obvious that Mario and Markovic weren't Brendan's signings, maybe Moreno as well.

But maybe you're right, maybe Brendan should shoulder the blame, after all he did agree to this transfer committee, and doesn't have the balls to ask for a change.

While I agree that some players weren't Rodgers choice, the very fact that we seem to decide on who was or wasn't a Brendan pick by whether they get moved on quickly or not I find worrying. Surely it is up to Brendan to make the most of the squad at his disposal and not just discard players that he didn't personally choose to buy.

What happened to the training dogs, educating players line he came out with when he arrived? Seems to me he is relying on other clubs to educate our players by loaning them out.

Personally I have seen nothing in Markovic so far and thought Balotelli was a mistake from the start, but he seems to be moving on so many players before they have even had a genuine chance. Henderson was lucky his name wasn't added to that list of players too.

I think it is the managers job to get the best out of the players at his disposal, not just to dispose of players because they weren't HIS choice.     
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34506: Sep 03, 2015 01:42:14 pm
      I think it is the managers job to get the best out of the players at his disposal, not just to dispose of players because they weren't HIS choice.

I don't think he can play that card mate, he gets the final say in his own words, he decides if he wants the player or not.

I'm by the by at the minute, I don't give a sh*t if Rodgers stays and I certainly wouldn't give a sh*t if he was sacked tomorrow, I however don't think Rodgers is the start and the finish of the problems at the club, it runs much deeper than that.

I think all levels of management are failing the club on the footballing side of the business at the moment and its a chain reaction, what comes from the top, trickles down to the bottom.

In saying that, with the funds being made available over the last two seasons, the manager needs to do better.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #34507: Sep 03, 2015 01:52:40 pm
      Love all the really indepth  analysis and forensic dissection of the problems that continue to fry our brains. A culmination  of problems that could possibly be chipped away to leave us with a healthy working model ?

Or could it be just as simple as replacing the man in charge?  Only one way to find out i suppose.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34508: Sep 03, 2015 01:55:42 pm
      While I agree that some players weren't Rodgers choice, the very fact that we seem to decide on who was or wasn't a Brendan pick by whether they get moved on quickly or not I find worrying. Surely it is up to Brendan to make the most of the squad at his disposal and not just discard players that he didn't personally choose to buy.

What happened to the training dogs, educating players line he came out with when he arrived? Seems to me he is relying on other clubs to educate our players by loaning them out.

Personally I have seen nothing in Markovic so far and thought Balotelli was a mistake from the start, but he seems to be moving on so many players before they have even had a genuine chance. Henderson was lucky his name wasn't added to that list of players too.

Exactly right.

Enrique, Skrtel were also close to the exit doors.

It's like a revolving door at Melwood and if Brendan hasn't signed you then you might as well just take one quick spin around the place and straight back where you came.

The quotes he came out with grate on me these days S@int. Pure salesman and as with most of them it's all hot air with no other purpose than to distract from the truth which is they're trying to sell you something sh*te. Brendan has served up sh*te for us long enough it's time he packed up his little book of quotes and his one hundred and who cares number of page dossier and take it elsewhere.

Someone asked me the other day "are we the dullest team in the league this year" and it was a confident yes straight back. Dull, passionless, rudderless, leaderless group who are completely disjointed and poorly balanced. Those shouldn't be the phrases you think of first when you're into your 4th year of a 'project'.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #34509: Sep 03, 2015 01:58:32 pm

I don't know if I can explain it...but someone posted a picture the other day of the squad from Instanbul I believe.....compare that picture to today and that sums it up for me. Some of the players today just don't look like they are playing with any kind of belief in what they are doing. The Rafa teams were always well organized and disciplined, everyone knew their role and did it. This team seems more of a mix-mash of players that can all do multiple things, but none of them excel at just one. Like a jack of all trades and a master of none sort of thing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #34510: Sep 03, 2015 02:01:21 pm
      I don't know if I can explain it...but someone posted a picture the other day of the squad from Instanbul I believe.....compare that picture to today and that sums it up for me. Some of the players today just don't look like they are playing with any kind of belief in what they are doing. The Rafa teams were always well organized and disciplined, everyone knew their role and did it. This team seems more of a mix-mash of players that can all do multiple things, but none of them excel at just one. Like a jack of all trades and a master of none sort of thing.

Those players got that organisation and belief from Rafa mate.

I'd bet my house they if Rafa was brought in to coach this squad right now we'd see a massive improvement and silverware within two seasons.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #34511: Sep 03, 2015 02:05:34 pm
      Those players got that organisation and belief from Rafa mate.

I'd bet my house they if Rafa was brought in to coach this squad right now we'd see a massive improvement and silverware within two seasons.

Maybe so, but I think that ship has sailed. Can't see anyway these current owners bring in Rafa. He's too big a figure for them. And that highlights another worry I have....I don't know that FSG would ever bring in someone that would overshadow them at the club. They got rid of Kenny pretty quickly, possibly realizing they'd be hard pressed to make that move after he'd been there a season or two...there's no way they'll bring in a Rafa or an Ancellotti. Those men would simply command way too much respect.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #34512: Sep 03, 2015 02:06:44 pm
      Maybe so, but I think that ship has sailed. Can't see anyway these current owners bring in Rafa. He's too big a figure for them. And that highlights another worry I have....I don't know that FSG would ever bring in someone that would overshadow them at the club. They got rid of Kenny pretty quickly, possibly realizing they'd be hard pressed to make that move after he'd been there a season or two...there's no way they'll bring in a Rafa or an Ancellotti. Those men would simply command way too much respect.

I agree but just using Rafa as an example of maybe how with a different coach this squad could fulfill it's potential.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34513: Sep 03, 2015 02:15:03 pm
      I don't think he can play that card mate, he gets the final say in his own words, he decides if he wants the player or not.

I'm by the by at the minute, I don't give a sh*t if Rodgers stays and I certainly wouldn't give a sh*t if he was sacked tomorrow, I however don't think Rodgers is the start and the finish of the problems at the club, it runs much deeper than that.

I think all levels of management are failing the club on the footballing side of the business at the moment and its a chain reaction, what comes from the top, trickles down to the bottom.

In saying that, with the funds being made available over the last two seasons, the manager needs to do better.

I am still willing to give Brendan the chance to turn things around. If most of my posts seem to be knocking Brendan at the moment it is because we seem to be going backwards not forwards.

We are buying too many players, quantity not quality, so every season we have a bedding in period, playing players out of position then moving them on when they don't adapt.

Playing systems that don't suit the players, so players lose confidence. Moving players around so much that there can be little consistency in their play, it sometimes seems to me that Brendan prefers his players to be adaptable rather than good.

Lallana for example has struggled (apart from his injuries) for consistency since his arrival, yet instead of playing him in his best position to gain some confidence, he has been shuffled across the midfield filling in.  Markovic playing wing back, Ibe playing wing back, Coutinho played left, right, centre, Can fullback, CB, DM, CM, Morino in his new role as winger etc etc.

Even our defence has had to cope with three at the back every time we hit problems.

All my hopes are resting on Sturridge's return at the moment. He has pace which we desperately need up front and can finish if we give him the supply.     
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34514: Sep 03, 2015 02:28:18 pm
      I agree but just using Rafa as an example of maybe how with a different coach this squad could fulfill it's potential.

I think this is a major factor as to why I can't see us being successful with these owners, they want to employ ppl they can control I feel, bright young up and coming managers, and not your old school been there done that know what's best for the club, know how to win, type aka Rafa, Carlos, Kenny, etc,

You posed the hypothetical question Si, and it's hard to argue that with the current squad Rafa couldn't get the best out of them, and indeed more than what Brendan may ever get out of them, a tweak here or there in defence especially would imo make us more solid than we are currently, but whatever our opinions are hypothetical or not it's becoming clear more and more fans are believing less and less in Brendan,
      Or indeed our owners truth be told.

YNWA

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #34515: Sep 03, 2015 04:45:37 pm
      Did anyone hear Mickey Quinn on talksport this morning he said apparently after the game on saturday there was a big to do in the dressing room "cups and saucers flying" was his words.

Not looking rosy if true and quite frankly i would not be surprised.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #34516: Sep 03, 2015 04:49:10 pm
      Did anyone hear Mickey Quinn on talksport this morning he said apparently after the game on saturday there was a big to do in the dressing room "cups and saucers flying" was his words.

Or it could have been general anger by players that they got rolled on their home turf?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #34517: Sep 03, 2015 04:50:37 pm

I didnt.

Simply because I won't give Talksport the time of day and also Mickey Quinn is one of the worst 'pundits' I've even heard.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #34518: Sep 03, 2015 04:54:10 pm

Wonder by who then if that's true. Would love it if our players showed their passion on the pitch instead of in the dressing room.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #34519: Sep 03, 2015 04:54:14 pm
      I didnt.

Simply because I won't give Talksport the time of day and also Mickey Quinn is one of the worst 'pundits' I've even heard.

He is a donkey but I imagine he has a few contacts in the club.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #34520: Sep 03, 2015 04:55:33 pm

The old starting to lose the dressing room again? That might be the case

It would be nice if a single week could go by without LFC looking like a circus show.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34521: Sep 03, 2015 05:03:48 pm

Wasn't there similar rumours last season after we got beaten by the mancs, with Brendan accusing players of not playing for him? God help us if the players respond in a similar fashion this season... we hardly won a game after the mancs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #34522: Sep 03, 2015 05:04:50 pm
      He is a donkey but I imagine he has a few contacts in the club.

He might do but it's not as if he's played for us or even with any of our squad.

I'd guess he's talking bollocks as per usual.

Quick Reply