Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3031782 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38985: Sep 28, 2017 06:07:31 pm
      I heard something similar being said while watching the game, so I think it's true.

I wouldn't put too much focus on the result. 0-3 looks like Celtic completed dominated the game, but they didn't. Anderlecht was very, very bad.

They're in complete chaos. Most of you probably remember their recent performances in the EL or CL, but the current team is nowhere near that. They're currently 7th in the league with only 12 points out of 8 games (their main title rival is 10 points ahead), they have fired their manager just over a week ago, the current manager has never managed a team before and was just given a chance because he was a very highly rated and respected ex-player.

Don't want to get involved in a Rodgers dicussion, just putting the result in the right context.

Put Celtic's away form in Europe into context over the last 15 years or so and you'll find out pretty easily that the Bhoys have lost or drawn to clubs in far more unfavourable situations than Anderlecht.

Celtic didn't dominate but they didn't have to. Nonetheless it's a legitimate victory that they fully deserved and probably would have won regardless and will go long way to their goal of stating in European competition after Christmas. And given the efforts Brendan has put into that club to rapidly develop young Scottish talent it would be entirely deserved.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #38986: Sep 28, 2017 06:29:30 pm
      Put Celtic's away form in Europe into context over the last 15 years or so and you'll find out pretty easily that the Bhoys have lost or drawn to clubs in far more unfavourable situations than Anderlecht.

Celtic didn't dominate but they didn't have to. Nonetheless it's a legitimate victory that they fully deserved and probably would have won regardless and will go long way to their goal of stating in European competition after Christmas. And given the efforts Brendan has put into that club to rapidly develop young Scottish talent it would be entirely deserved.

Didn't want to take anything away from their performance mate, they controlled the game easily enough and didn't give Anderlecht a sniff. Fair game and a legitimate victory that they indeed fully deserved.

The young LB Tierney had a decent game.
      Chessie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 14 
      Reply #38987: Sep 28, 2017 09:02:48 pm
      Seems to be a case of if Celtic lose in Europe, they are shocking, poor team, poor league etc - if they win it's the opposition who are poor.  The difference between the Celtic in the few years before BR came in and the Celtic team now is night and day.  The progress to us is obvious and we're delighted with it.  The thing is we can see that trend continuing and that's an exciting thing,

While everyone will have an opinion, ultimately (thankfully) BR really only needs to convince one group of people and believe me he is idolised at Celtic and I guess that's all that counts.   

Personally I do have a soft spot for Liverpool though and I hope Klopp gets it right
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38988: Sep 28, 2017 10:03:58 pm
      To be fair mate you don't really know that.    We have played 2 games, got battered in one and won the other.  Chances are that result last night already gets us 3rd place and as I said on an earlier post that would represent progress.   

If we take something from Bayern - either home or away - would you concede that he is making progress?

I don't give a flying F**k, I support Liverpool, not Celtic.

Bayern and PSG will advance!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38989: Sep 28, 2017 10:05:09 pm
      Didn't they beat us one year with the little f***** in charge?

They knocked us out of the Uefa Cup in 2003
      Chessie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 14 
      Reply #38990: Sep 28, 2017 10:33:58 pm
      I don't give a flying f**k, I support Liverpool, not Celtic.

Bayern and PSG will advance!

The question was about Brendan Rodgers, not Celtic or Liverpool.   I asked the question to understand whether - or at what point - you would cede credit where it was due.   Or whether your dislike of the man would not allow you to amend your view under any circumstance.  I think I got my answer.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38991: Sep 28, 2017 11:52:35 pm
      To be fair mate you don't really know that.    We have played 2 games, got battered in one and won the other.  Chances are that result last night already gets us 3rd place and as I said on an earlier post that would represent progress.   

If we take something from Bayern - either home or away - would you concede that he is making progress?

What game did we get battered out of interest?

EDIT: or are you referring to 'we' as Celtic?
      « Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017 12:01:12 am by Magillionare »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38992: Sep 29, 2017 02:40:40 am
      The question was about Brendan Rodgers, not Celtic or Liverpool.   I asked the question to understand whether - or at what point - you would cede credit where it was due.   Or whether your dislike of the man would not allow you to amend your view under any circumstance.  I think I got my answer.

I'm not particularly arsed about Brendan as he is no longer Liverpool manager, there's your F***ing answer!

Chessie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 14 
      Reply #38993: Sep 29, 2017 09:59:53 pm
      I'm not particularly arsed about Brendan as he is no longer Liverpool manager, there's your f**king answer!

:D. You give a good impression of someone who is quite arsed to be fair. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38994: Sep 30, 2017 05:52:19 am
      :D. You give a good impression of someone who is quite arsed to be fair. 

Seeing as this is the only thread you seem to come into, I'd say you were more arsed kidda ;)
      Chessie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 14 
      Reply #38995: Sep 30, 2017 10:20:22 pm
      Seeing as this is the only thread you seem to come into, I'd say you were more arsed kidda ;)

This is the only thread I come onto, you're quite right.  That's because I'm a Celtic fan and this thread is about my club's manager.  As I have said before I have a soft spot for Liverpool. but they are not my club and I would never presume to post on other Liverpool threads.  This is your forum, not mine, and the threads are for you guys, not for the likes of me to comment on. 

I joined to post in this thread because I was genuinely curious as to why there appeared to be such antipathy towards Brendan Rodgers?  I can understand the gut-wrenching disappointment at just missing out, but where does that turn into such enmity?   I'm not sure I have the answer, there doesn't seem to be a grey it is very much Black or White and nowt in the middle,  and yet he speaks of Liverpool and their fans with much fondness.

I know folks will never be convinced of him based on anything he achieves domestically at Celtic - I can understand a lot of folk hold that viewpoint and nothing I say will alter that - so Europe is the key and it is clear we are progressing, perhaps not noticeable to you guys but to us at Celtic it is tangible. 

Will PSG and Bayern progress this year - almost certainly (and logically so they should), but 3rd and the EL would absolutely signify further progress for us and what more can a fan ask for than that.

In Brendan we trust
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38996: Nov 12, 2017 11:12:34 pm
      His wifes ex husband committed suicide, break down of relationship and taking his daughter to Glasgow cited as reasons.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #38997: Nov 22, 2017 10:02:13 pm
      Rodgers doing what he does best in European football.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38998: Nov 22, 2017 10:04:22 pm
      Rodgers doing what he does best in European football.

You expecting him to compete with PSG are you?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #38999: Nov 22, 2017 10:09:31 pm
      You expecting him to compete with PSG are you?

Compete?.......no not at all.....but i wouldn't expect them to embarrass themselves either.

Carrier Bag or what ever their name is only lost 1-4 to the Chavs playing with 10 men.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39000: Nov 22, 2017 10:13:33 pm
      Compete?.......no not at all.....but i wouldn't expect them to embarrass themselves either.

Carrier Bag or what ever their name is only lost 1-4 to the Chavs playing with 10 men.

Don’t throw stones if you live in a (much more expensive) glass house
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39001: Nov 22, 2017 10:20:18 pm

Don’t throw stones if you live in a (much more expensive) glass house

Pretty sure Celtic have a greater income than our Azerbajani friends so whats you're point?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39002: Nov 22, 2017 10:24:01 pm
      It's a tough one for Brendan. If he plays backs to the walls, non football like many inferior sides in Europe (or Neil Lennon's Celtic) then he'll lose but not lose as badly.

But if he wants to compete in a way that helps his players develop technically (and boy have many of the players under his management come on) then he has to accept that batterings against that type of opposition will occur. He shouldn't apologise for that as such a style of football has seen the growth of young talent at that club, which is Celtic's duty given their dominance in Scottish football.

What is the point in deploying a style of football that will only minimise the scoreline in defeat? A side like Celtic doesn't learn ANYTHING from such an experience. Far better to measure how far you are from the top sides in Europe by deploying your own game. It will only drive Celtic further to improvement on a technical level in the coming years.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39003: Nov 22, 2017 10:26:26 pm
      Pretty sure Celtic have a greater income than our Azerbajani friends so whats you're point?

That Liverpool with a turnover of £300M + have lost 4-1 and 5-0 this season
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39004: Nov 22, 2017 10:31:30 pm
      That Liverpool with a turnover of £300M + have lost 4-1 and 5-0 this season

Erm 7-1 or 0-5 at home!

Are you even a LFC fan?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39005: Nov 22, 2017 10:36:25 pm
      Erm 7-1 or 0-5 at home!

Are you even a LFC fan?

You’re taking a shot at Brendan Rodgers for losing 12-1 on aggregate against PSG when we lost 5-0 against Citeh only a couple of months back?
      If our likely lads played PSG we’d get smacked all over the place too, difference is Klopp is working with a budget for wages and transfers probably 10 times greater than Rodgers
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39006: Nov 22, 2017 10:40:45 pm

You’re taking a shot at Brendan Rodgers for losing 12-1 on aggregate against PSG when we lost 5-0 against Citeh only a couple of months back?
      If our likely lads played PSG we’d get smacked all over the place too, difference is Klopp is working with a budget for wages and transfers probably 10 times greater than Rodgers

Rodgers at the end of his tenure here was getting smashed similarly as he is now with Celtic.

Ever wondered why your hero Rodgers dropped down quite a few levels?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39007: Nov 22, 2017 10:43:19 pm
      Rodgers at the end of his tenure here was getting smashed similarly as he is now with Celtic.

Ever wondered why your hero Rodgers dropped down quite a few levels?

Klopp the next celtic manager are you suggesting?

Quick Reply