Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3031973 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #39031: Feb 23, 2018 03:38:56 pm
      I really hope that there is never a break away league, I'd really never want us to be part of that.
      European football is great, but as a pinnacle, as a reward for doing well in your league.
      Us against Barca as a regular league fixture? I'd rather play Wigan

I'd really hope none of those things happen, compete in your own countries against your own countries teams.

I'm not against Celtic or Rangers wanting to improve themselves but at who's expense is all I don't agree with.

Very true. I know it's the butt of many people's jokes but there is a magic, very local feel about Celtic going north to Dingwall and playing Ross County in the Scottish Premiership. You'd definitely lose that unique feel.  As much as opposition fans love to taunt them the Old Firm gives real weight to Scottish football and without them you wonder how Scottish football would survive.
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2018 10:48:11 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #39032: Feb 23, 2018 06:54:35 pm
      Mid table, Celtic?? Not a chance they'd be fighting against relegation every year, having said that I would actually like to see them included in the Prem, why is it that Swansea can play in the Prem but not Celtic and Rangers, what's needs to happen for them to be able to join?
      Based on their current team, I’d say they would survive relegation and finish mid-table. Given time and the additional revenue that comes with being a Premier League team, they would be a better proposition than most in the league (probably aside from the current top 6 in the table).

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39033: Mar 25, 2018 08:42:47 pm
      Not sure about his latest comments in relation to being unfairly judged as he is a British manager.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #39034: Mar 26, 2018 06:16:19 am
      Not sure about his latest comments in relation to being unfairly judged as he is a British manager.

Sounded like sour grapes to me. It makes no difference what nationality the manager is because look at the slating Billic was getting at West Ham, Koeman at Everton etc.

In fact, if Rodgers was at City, Chelsea and many other clubs, he’d have probably of been given the boot sooner, he wouldn’t have got more time after the humiliating season we finished with a 6-1 twatting from Stoke. Maybe he should remember that because the majority of teams would have gotten rid of the manager before that 6-1 game, never mind in the following season.

The job was just too big for him, nothing wrong with that, just the way it goes and I’m sure he tried his best with us. Its probably a bit of jealousy too, that he couldn’t get the team Klopp is building and get the relationship with the supporters that Klopp gets and because he doesn’t need the captain to try and get players to sign for us.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39035: Mar 26, 2018 07:53:31 am
      Sounded like sour grapes to me. It makes no difference what nationality the manager is because look at the slating Billic was getting at West Ham, Koeman at Everton etc.

In fact, if Rodgers was at City, Chelsea and many other clubs, he’d have probably of been given the boot sooner, he wouldn’t have got more time after the humiliating season we finished with a 6-1 twatting from Stoke. Maybe he should remember that because the majority of teams would have gotten rid of the manager before that 6-1 game, never mind in the following season.

The job was just too big for him, nothing wrong with that, just the way it goes and I’m sure he tried his best with us. Its probably a bit of jealousy too, that he couldn’t get the team Klopp is building and get the relationship with the supporters that Klopp gets and because he doesn’t need the captain to try and get players to sign for us.
      Yea massive case of sour grapes there I agree mate dissapointing, yet not surprising.

This is a man who has a 70" portrait of himself in his own living room.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39036: Jul 31, 2018 08:50:21 pm
      Brendan Rodgers
      I had plenty of people tell me not to do it.

I had options to go to the Premier League. I had an option to go to China, to make an awful lot of money.

But I was a Celtic supporter. I knew the size of the club, I knew the expectations. I knew the fanbase, I knew there was an opportunity to play Champions League football. Most of all, I knew there was an opportunity to win.

I was very fortunate, really, because I knew Celtic was the place for me.

I had left Liverpool in October. It was early in the season, only eight league games in.

I took the call on the Sunday evening, after the Merseyside derby. The owners felt they needed to make a change. I accepted the decision, and from that point I was no longer the Liverpool manager.

On the Monday, I was offered another job. But I had always felt that I wanted to go in, where I could, at the beginning of a season.

On top of that, I needed the recovery. Needed to get away. Liverpool had been an emotional rollercoaster. At such a huge club, one of the great clubs of the world, even the good days are difficult. I enjoyed every single minute of it, but it had taken a toll.

“I had a week in Spain, and then I flew to Dubai. Within a couple of days, I was rushed into hospital”

I wanted to go away and reflect on my time at Liverpool, but also to regain two elements that I believe are absolutely vital to any manager: energy, and happiness.

No matter what you do in life, I feel that you need both. But, in particular for a football manager, and for me at that time, they were crucial. If you are energised and happy, you can do your job much better.

It was a case of turning the engine off on football for a little while. Spending some time with my kids, doing some travelling with my wife, and then tapping back into football in the new year.

I went to Spain for a week. Then I came back, and flew to Dubai. Within a couple of days in Dubai, I was rushed into hospital.

I went through all the tests. It was felt that I was having some issues internally, but then they got into the process of what had happened with work, with my life. They pieced it all together, and it was simply a case of my body being so tense, so tight, from all that had happened in finishing my time at Liverpool.

It reminded me of the pressures you experience, and the expectations you carry, as a manager. Especially at the bigger clubs. It reinforced for me that it was time to find a calmness, to re-energise and make sure I was genuinely ready for the next challenge.

“We were playing on astroturf, in 38 degrees, with planes flying behind the goal. All the conditions you wouldn’t want, were there”

It wasn’t just about the next club, though, It was about the right club.

What is vitally important in your next job, I believe, is that you win. And that you win in the best way you can.

I saw that in Celtic. I saw the opportunity to win, but a chance to bring my ideas into another iconic club. There would still be big pressure: 60-odd thousand fans every other week, and a worldwide fanbase.

The club was in a winning cycle, I knew that. But my idea was to make them win better. To bring in an idea and a philosophy of football that excited the supporters, regenerated the club and its enthusiasm.

The idea wasn’t that we would start with defeat in Gibraltar.

I’d not long come in to work with the players. I had really enjoyed pre-season, but this – a Champions League qualifier against Lincoln Red Imps – was going to be my first real chance to see them under pressure.

We were playing on an astroturf pitch, where you very rarely get a good game of football. It was 38 degrees.

Within 100 yards to our right, there was the Rock of Gibraltar. Within 1,000 yards to our left, we had Monarch Airlines flying behind the goal. All the conditions you wouldn’t want for your first game, were there.

And we lost 1-0. That can happen in football. It can happen.

I did a press conference the very next morning, in which I said we would win the second leg. But I could see, even in a game such as this, that there was cause for concern in how the players were dealing with those pressure moments.

“In Glasgow, only one team can be doing well. You’ve got to make sure that’s you”

In modern football, managers get virtually no time. Your first steps are vitally important, and I knew we had to produce in the players a mental fitness that would get us into the Champions League. We didn’t have time to work with the football idea.

I had to find a mindset to get us through, and thankfully we did that. It was great for the club to be back in the Champions League again, to bring the big nights to Celtic Park.

I’ve managed in a number of derbies. They’re all different in their way, but in Glasgow it’s something else. There is something special about Celtic-Rangers. The intensity, the rivalry. It is a city divided between green and blue.

Only one team can be doing well, and you’ve got to make sure it’s you.

My first Old Firm game was the first meeting of Celtic and Rangers at Parkhead for four years. Joey Barton had joined Rangers, so he added another interesting dynamic to an already huge game. But we were desperate to win for the supporters, and to keep that early-season momentum going.

To win, and to win 5-1, was obviously very special. It was an important game, absolutely massive, and put us on a great high.

“If we’re going to be the team we want to be, this can’t happen again. We were going to have to learn”

If, on that Saturday evening, you had asked us to name the last place on earth we would want to have to play on the Tuesday, we would have said the Nou Camp in Barcelona.

Messi. Suarez. Neymar. And the pitch is huge.

The energy that had been taken out of us on the Saturday had a huge impact on the Tuesday night. And, you know, I think I could sense there was a little bit of fear in the team, perhaps naturally, because of the players they were up against.

That would change as the season went on.

We didn’t start the game well, that was for sure. Messi scored early, but we fought back well and missed a penalty that would have drawn us level. They got the second before half-time, but then fatigue set in after the break and it ended up 7-0.

You come off after seven, and it’s not nice. We spoke about it afterwards, though, in the changing room. If we’re going to be the team we want to be, this can’t happen again. We were going to have to learn.

It ended up being an incredible season. Momentum grew, we developed how we played, and time on the training field was vital. We grew in confidence, enjoyed the way we were working and got some really big performances in big games.

To go through the whole domestic season unbeaten was truly memorable.

Remember, too, that five of the six games we played after our Champions League fixtures were away from home. No matter who you play, those can be banana skins.

But the players were focused, concentrated, and their desire to succeed was immense. Thirty-four league wins was incredible, although we conceded late equalisers in all four of the games we drew. Arguably, we should have won them, too.

Where can we go from that? In terms of achievement, it’s difficult. Domestically, we can’t improve on much – but we will do our very best to win every game and every competition. In Europe, we want to be more consistent, and of course become regulars in the Champions League.

And I just want to embrace it all. To feel happiness at being at such an iconic club.

There’s pressure there. It’s not going away. But you want the pressure. If you want to be successful, it’s always there.

Your job is to redirect the flow.

Brendan Rodgers
      https://www.coachesvoice.com/green-king/

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39037: Aug 01, 2018 10:17:48 am
      Timing

You can't fit them in nowadays. Unless they started at the bottom level of English football.
      Why should they come in to the premier league? I mean that would mean taking two teams places, why would or should they drop out? Same if you put them in league 2.. who loses their place in the league so two Scottish teams can play in the league?

Afc  Wimbledon started in the combined league I believe, around the 10th tier of English football, after a club went bust in that league.

Only way Celtic or Rangers should be given a place in English football is the same way

Id just expand the Championship to include 2 extra teams for one season and then filter that down or up to even it out, its not impossible to do. My point though is why are Welsh teams allowed in the English league but not Scottish, is it an historic thing?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #39038: Aug 02, 2018 11:16:08 am
      Id just expand the Championship to include 2 extra teams for one season and then filter that down or up to even it out, its not impossible to do. My point though is why are Welsh teams allowed in the English league but not Scottish, is it an historic thing?

Pretty sure the Welsh teams play in the English league because there was no Welsh league back when they started.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39039: Aug 02, 2018 08:08:32 pm
      Pretty sure the Welsh teams play in the English league because there was no Welsh league back when they started.

Correctamundo!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39040: Aug 02, 2018 11:36:02 pm

In that case why start a Welsh league after the main teams are already in the English leagues??
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #39041: Aug 02, 2018 11:40:24 pm
      In that case why start a Welsh league after the main teams are already in the English leagues??

Who knows?

I do know I couldn't really care less if I'm honest.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39042: Aug 02, 2018 11:41:13 pm

From wiki:

The league was formed in October 1991 by Alun Evans, Secretary General of the Football Association of Wales (FAW), as he believed that the Welsh international football team was under threat from FIFA.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39043: Oct 04, 2018 09:00:35 pm
      Having a mare in Europe..

Wheels coming off quick for the Brodge..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #39044: Oct 06, 2018 03:15:17 am

They will hate Rangers doing so well. Top of their group.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39045: Oct 06, 2018 09:21:25 am

They will hate Rangers doing so well. Top of their group.

Sticky start for the hoops this season no doubt but there’s still a huge gap in quality between Celtic and the rest that’ll be apparent over the season.

Stevie has definitely improved Rangers though - I just don’t think there’s enough there to work with (despite our help 😉).
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39046: Dec 13, 2018 09:41:01 pm
      Craig Gordon just produced an absolute carbon copy of the first Karius error in the final vs RB Salzburg to put Celtic 2-0 down at home.

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1073331727953784832?s=21

10 mins left and they need a draw.

Tidy team Salzburg - significantly better than Leipzig in same group.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2018 09:50:52 pm by Scotia »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39047: Dec 13, 2018 10:03:01 pm
      Very very lucky
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39048: Dec 13, 2018 10:08:18 pm

Few verys short there mate.

Deserved to go out on that performance and for making me think of Kiev again.

Just when that big Brazilian bear had made the flashbacks stop 🤯
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39049: Dec 13, 2018 11:37:10 pm
      Gordon have a medical to confirm concussion?..😎
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39050: Dec 14, 2018 12:00:13 am

If you don’t qualify on 9 points you can consider yourself unlucky. Salzburg are a proper team no disgrace in losing to them
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39051: Dec 14, 2018 12:14:41 pm
      If you don’t qualify on 9 points you can consider yourself unlucky. Salzburg are a proper team no disgrace in losing to them

I meant more that liepzig couldn't beat rosenborg
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39052: Dec 18, 2018 02:20:10 am
      Here’s a question I’d love to hear BR be asked and give an honest answer to

“Brendan when you were at Liverpool the club came extremely close to signing Mo Salah in the Jan window of the 13/14 season. If he had signed for the club then and not 3 years later do you think things for you, both in that season and ones to come would have worked out differently?”

Not saying I necessarily do but interesting to ponder, think it would have made replacing Luis a bit easier....
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2018 02:37:46 am by Alfie2510 »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #39053: Feb 26, 2019 09:09:57 am

Quick Reply