Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?

Read 20304 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?
      Reply #138: Jul 10, 2012 05:01:48 pm
      I watched Dempsey he's a good player but how high do you rate him? compare him with a player for example.
      as good as Valencia? Krasic? B.Ruiz or something like this. personnally I think he an score more than the other wingers we have (exept Maxi) but is not talented enough for LFC. we need really good wingers-Valencia, mata, bale, lennon, nani, hazard, silva, nasri
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #139: Jul 10, 2012 05:03:48 pm
      Code: [Select]
                   Lucas

Gerrard

Dempsey

Code: [Select]
                  Lucas

Gerrard

Ramirez

Simple as that, really.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #140: Jul 10, 2012 09:04:52 pm
      Basically he likes to play 4-4-3 with two industrious holding midfielders who are comfortable on the ball and two hard working wide men with pace.

Be very interesting to see how we line up, even in the friendlies.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #141: Jul 10, 2012 11:25:10 pm
      Basically he likes to play 4-4-3 with two industrious holding midfielders who are comfortable on the ball and two hard working wide men with pace.

Be very interesting to see how we line up, even in the friendlies.

4-4-3, no wonder Swansea has so much joy last season.  ;)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #142: Jul 11, 2012 01:34:05 am
      I like the way Rodgers is handling things, I like the way Swansea played last season, and I hope he can make it work here.  I'm definitely worried about a couple of things though.  oh, and disclaimer: I don't really rate Hendo, Carroll or Downing.  I do rate Shelvey, Suso, and even Spearing.

But the one thing that is weird is that Rodgers keeps saying we won't be bringing in a lot of players and won't be making a lot of changes.  Okay, so, let's see, we have already lost Fabio and Kuyt, and it seems we could be on the brink of losing Maxi, Bellamy, and Carroll.  That's five players out already.  Then there's Downing and Adam, all of whom could be gone simply due to the fact that the manager doesn't rate them.  So worst case scenario, that's 7 players (at least) that could be gone.  Seems Aquilani doesn't want to stay.  So that could be even 8 players out.

So if Carroll and Bellamy go, then we'll need at least two other front line players.  Apparently Borini might be coming in.  Okay, there's one.  One.  So if we are playing a 4-3-3, that's Suarez and Borini, and we need another one to bring in, most likely a winger.  Doubt Downing will be the third in a 4-3-3.  So far that's two players in, just for the front line.  Two players.  And then we will need to have at least, AT LEAST one striker on the bench.  So that's another player.  Right away you have three players in.

We have no idea how reliable Gerrard will be this season fitness wise.  I rate Shelvey a lot.  But assuming we lose the 7 aforementioned players, what happens if Gerrard is out for a while again this season?  is Shelvey ready to take charge of the attacking responsibilities Gerrard has, for 10-15 games?  I don't think he's quite there yet.  Hendo is afraid of his own shadow, so he definitely can't be relied on to fill Gerrard's role.  I'd say we need at least another attacking midfielder.  That's four players so far.

That's just to fill the ranks.  So what is the goal for this season?  just to scrape by, or to compete?  if we want to compete we're going to probably need another 2-3 players on top of that.  We're going to be in four competitions, we can't have those players playing every minute.  We will probably need another DM to cover for Lucas, since some people have suggested Spearing could go out on loan.  And who exactly will be our 3rd midfielder with Lucas/Gerrard?  I would love for it to be Aquilani, but if he goes, is Rodgers really going to rely on Henderson again?  I wouldn't.  We can nurture him along but if he is true about fighting and settling for nothing less than CL, Hendo isn't the way forward, at least based on last season.  So there's another player.

To me I think we need at least 5 players in, if we really want to do well.  Maybe, probably even another one in.

And yet we're told there aren't going to be a lot of personnel changes.  Well, 7, maybe 8 players out and 5 players in is a pretty big personnel change to me. 

And apparently we have no money either. 

And yet the owners want CL.

Something doesn't add up.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,942 posts | 286 
      Reply #143: Jul 11, 2012 03:59:15 am
                               Pepe
                     Skrtel          Agger
      Johnson           Lucas           Enrique
                    Gerrard           ?
      Suarez                 ?                 ?

This is the piece of the puzzle that's missing. (Plus cover for Lucas)

3 out of Cole, Aquilani, Maxi, Henderson, Carroll, Adam, Downing, Bellamy, Shelvey,Sterling, Suso for the first team spots when you ideally need;
      a) a finisher
      b) a speed demon with skills
      C) a playmaker

in that order. Hope we make key signings.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #144: Jul 11, 2012 08:03:17 am
                               Pepe
                     Skrtel          Agger
                    Gerrard           ?
      Suarez                 ?                 ?

This is the piece of the puzzle that's missing. (Plus cover for Lucas)

3 out of Cole, Aquilani, Maxi, Henderson, Carroll, Adam, Downing, Bellamy, Shelvey,Sterling, Suso for the first team spots when you ideally need;
      a) a finisher
      b) a speed demon with skills
      C) a playmaker

in that order. Hope we make key signings.

Okay.  Looks like we're going to get Borini so I'll plug him in the middle.  I would also love Sturridge here, I think a CF duo of Sturridge and Borini would be pretty good.  I would keep Aquilani and play him next to Stevie.  And then I would go all out for a fast winger with skills to beat a man.  Would love Jovetic.  Maybe Griezmann.  I'd fill in your lineup like this for PL games:

Pepe
                     Skrtel          Agger
                 Gerrard           Aquilani
      Suarez            Sturridge          Jovetic

Bench: Doni, Kelly, Borini, Suso, Shelvey, Coates.

For EL and cup matches we could get some of the kids some more playing time:

Doni
                     Skrtel          Coates
      Kelly               Spearing           Robinson
                   Shelvey           Suso
      Suarez               Borini          Sterling

Bench: Jones, Hendo, Wisdom, Flanagan, Downing.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #145: Jul 11, 2012 08:09:11 am
      Okay.  Looks like we're going to get Borini so I'll plug him in the middle.  I would also love Sturridge here, I think a CF duo of Sturridge and Borini would be pretty good.  I would keep Aquilani and play him next to Stevie.  And then I would go all out for a fast winger with skills to beat a man.  Would love Jovetic.  Maybe Griezmann.  I'd fill in your lineup like this for PL games:

Pepe
                     Skrtel          Agger

For EL and cup matches we could get some of the kids some more playing time:

Doni
                     Skrtel          Coates
      Kelly               Spearing           Robinson
                   Shelvey           Suso
      Suarez               Borini          Sterling

Bench: Jones, Hendo, Wisdom, Flanagan, Downing.

Hendo not even in the bench for PL matches? .. Mind you he is a 20m player
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #146: Jul 11, 2012 08:15:48 am
      Hendo not even in the bench for PL matches? .. Mind you he is a 20m player

So is Downing.  Do you think he should be playing?

Hendo's fee was 20m.  It doesn't mean he is a "20m player."  I know a lot of people disagree.  I just don't rate him.  BR has said how important CL is for us next season.  Hendo didn't show anything last season to prove that he deserves an automatic starting spot.  No spine, seemed satisfied with taking the easy way out every single time.  If he is good enough, he can light up the EL or shine in his appearances from the bench.  Force his way into the starting XI---that's how it should always be.  I want us to win, and right now I think that a midfield of Lucas/Aqua/Gerrard is stronger than one of Lucas/Hendo/Gerrard.  Just my opinion.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #147: Jul 11, 2012 02:00:26 pm
                               Pepe
                     Skrtel          Agger

Unrealistic lineup on the basis we'll buy all three of Sturridge, Jovetic, and Borini. Can't see that happening.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #148: Jul 11, 2012 02:46:10 pm
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #149: Jul 11, 2012 06:03:24 pm
      Can't see Downing surviving. Even Woy didn't give him a minute at the Euros, which tells you something. Adam too will probably be removed. Andy is on his way out too, imo.

These guys cost Kenny his job so I suppose Rodgers isn't going to make the same mistake relying on them.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #150: Jul 14, 2012 07:55:37 am
      Hendo's fee was 20m.  It doesn't mean he is a "20m player."  I know a lot of people disagree.  I just don't rate him.

I think with BR the players attitude is as important as ability, as in as much if they dont buy into the principles inplace they'll be out.

Thats why I think Henderson could do really well under him whereas the likes of say Downing wont, just because of their general attitude and commitment.

So far then, Dirk and Maxi gone, possibly Bellamy to follow and a couple more at least coming in.

Getting interesting now.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #151: Jul 15, 2012 12:24:25 pm
      I don't buy this rubbish about Carroll not fitting in, he's been dreadful a lot of the time  and injured but has come under some rediculous criticism that he hasn't deserved from the media and I think the whole circus surrounding our last season didn't help.

I believe in Carroll and I think he has the metal to become a great player for us and Rodgers. He's also still young and can change. Also it will be just wrong on so many levels for us to loan him out or flog him of for peanuts which is what every club will be offering. In my opinion Andy is worth £20-25mill and I'd of been happy if that was the price we had bought him for originally. If we sell him for anything less I'll be pissed to say the least.

Rodgers knows what it is going to take to lift us up the table and a small squad with 1 plan of attack is not it. He will want as many players with different options at his disposal. I understand his philosophy but the media has latched onto it and used it to try and distinguish who they think won't fit in. We all have! But this whole Andy Carroll won't fit bollocks is well... bollocks.
      I could be wrong, Andy could fail at fitting in but I don't think he will be leaving this season, he was the stand out performer at euro 2012 and he showed us his true colours towards the end of the season.

Now Downing is a player who I'll be very surprised makes it onto another season after this one. He has no excuses for the shithouse performances he put in last season. I'd like him to click but I don't think he has the mental toughness to make it in Rodgers squad, why the press haven't attacked him is beyond me. There was only 2 maybe 3 games where I was impressed with him and it wasn't much, it was also when he played on the right. He cuts in way too much and then goes either back to get Enrique to go forward or passes sideways.

I'd love him to prove me wrong, grow some balls and take on some defenders but my gut feeling is he's not going to be confident enough ever and it's a case of too little too late, go back to Villa...
      He will most likely be here untill Rodgers gets his wide players he wants. Hopefully Suso and Sterling get a good run this season...

A lot of people don't seem to think Spearing will make the cut, to be honest I'm unsure. I hope he does, I was fairly impressed with him stepping in to Lucas' role but I think Hendo and or Aquilani are more suited to play with Gerrard in a 3 mid with Lucas. He's decent backup so I hope he can prove to Rodgers he's worth keeping. Maybe he'll play better with better players in front of him too.

I doubt it will happen but I would love us to land Jovetic, Muniain, Allen and Ramirez
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #152: Jul 15, 2012 02:50:04 pm
      @ DOBB ^^ your post is just great. Exactly what I think about Carroll and Downing although I think we need a better player than Spearing to cover for DM but if the lad wants to stay and fight for his place then it's just great!

I'd like to have Walcott, Ramirez and Allen here personally.
      I'd like to see something like:

Ramirez      Carroll        Suarez
              Aquilani          Gerrard
                           Lucas
       and Walcott, Allen, Henderson, Borini on the bench

And we could play with
      Downing    Borini          Walcott             upfront too which is great I think
               Allen      Henderson
                      Spearo?
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #153: Jul 15, 2012 03:07:17 pm
      A midfield with lucas and allen is awesome.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,729 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #154: Jul 15, 2012 03:35:59 pm
      I will try mine differently. I will choose our players and then change with transfers!

Carroll
      Suarez                            Fabio
                          Gerrard
               Lucas               Adam/Aquilani
      Ollyarto
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #155: Jul 18, 2012 03:53:10 pm
      See IMO I think Gerrard needs to be as far up the pitch as possible so would be inclined to go.....

Suarez
                                                 Gerrard
                             Cole                                Aquilani
                                         Lucas         Spearing

Adam/Downing aren't good enough IMO.

Quick Reply