Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Gylfi Sigurðsson (Hoffenheim)

Read 72591 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Gylfi Sigurðsson (Hoffenheim)
      Reply #782: Jul 02, 2012 05:15:46 pm
      I think it is quite obvious that the silence of Sigurdsson is down to the fact Spurs haven't announced Boas as their manager yet. As soon as he is appointed, they will probably announce his signing a few hours later.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #783: Jul 02, 2012 05:33:41 pm
      Boring cliches mate. Footballers (in fact people in general) want to be paid as much as possible for their profession, and this is not a recent thing either. It doesn't make them mercenaries it just makes them normal.

People moan about players being disloyal or greedy, but nothing is said when at the end of every season clubs F**k off all the players they no longer want. In fact we as fans like that and see it as being "ruthless".

He's just earning his corn. As I said ages ago he is not a well paid footballer and this will be his first big move. He has about 10 years left in the game to set him for life.

I'm a Liverpool fan but if I thought they were taking the piss and not offering me a fair wage for my talent, then I'd tell them to get to F**k too. He is a F***ing Manc fan who has lived near London for most of his life. Why the F**k would he accept less wages from a team who have finished below Tottenham 3 years running? What, because we won 18 league titles the last of which over 20 years ago he should 15K a week less? Nah it's not going to happen.

Interesting what I've highlighted there. I'd play for Liverpool for free personally.

And (while you're talking about boring footy cliches) F**k the whole "everyone wants money over anything else". There are actually still alot of players who'd take a paycut to play for us, and I'd rather have them than Sigurdsson (if it is the case, i know it may just be speculation).

Also "Nah it's not going to happen?." It's not even sorted yet. You'll look a dope now if he signs won't you.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #784: Jul 02, 2012 05:41:00 pm
      Interesting what I've highlighted there. I'd play for Liverpool for free personally.

And (while you're talking about boring footy cliches) f**k the whole "everyone wants money over anything else". There are actually still alot of players who'd take a paycut to play for us, and I'd rather have them than Sigurdsson.

You would for a season...;D.. Human instinct.. Then you'd look across on some freeloading player doing nowt whilst getting paid 40 bags a week and you'd soon change your tune.. Leave my job and starve my unborn children to play for Liverpool FC for free...? And I thought I was die ard...;D

But I still agree that many players will and would have taken a financial pay cut to come to us..

Another club paying more for a player doesn't even mean they have more money than us...
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #785: Jul 02, 2012 05:45:08 pm
      I think it is quite obvious that the silence of Sigurdsson is down to the fact Spurs haven't announced Boas as their manager yet. As soon as he is appointed, they will probably announce his signing a few hours later.
      Got a feeling your right, if AVB had signed for a any club before a certain date ( today or tomorrow I think )  he would miss a payment from Abramovich
       It is likely that they will both be brought out together, it is a great photo op
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #786: Jul 02, 2012 05:46:41 pm
      I'd play for Liverpool for free personally.

Because you're sh*t.

If you were class, you would be a millionaire somewhere else.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #787: Jul 02, 2012 05:55:55 pm
      Because you're sh*t.

Pahahahahahahaha....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #788: Jul 02, 2012 05:57:40 pm
      Because you're sh*t.

Yup  :lmao:
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #789: Jul 02, 2012 06:05:11 pm

And (while you're talking about boring footy cliches) f**k the whole "everyone wants money over anything else". There are actually still alot of players who'd take a paycut to play for us, and I'd rather have them than Sigurdsson (if it is the case, i know it may just be speculation).

Also "Nah it's not going to happen?." It's not even sorted yet. You'll look a dope now if he signs won't you.
      I cant remember a player who came to Liverpool on less wages then they were previously getting ?

I would think over the last 40 years there will only be one or two players who have taken a pay cut when coming here !
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #790: Jul 02, 2012 06:10:01 pm
      I'll stick with my theory that we offered pretty much the same package as Swansea offered on the basis of, "If it was ok from them, it should be ok from us"
      It's a fair point really but as has been said, if Gilfi's indicated that he wants more and we're not prepared to pay it, I just hope that it's BR who has decided he's not worth it.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #791: Jul 02, 2012 06:14:30 pm
      Perhaps we should rename this thread the great big Gylfi Sigurðsson saga. I miss that old Gareth Barry thread.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #792: Jul 02, 2012 06:20:30 pm
      I cant remember a player who came to Liverpool on less wages then they were previously getting ?

I would think over the last 40 years there will only be one or two players who have taken a pay cut when coming here !

Torres took a slight pay cut. I don't know of any others.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #793: Jul 02, 2012 06:26:09 pm
      Bellamy took quite a big pay cut to come here last season.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #794: Jul 02, 2012 06:26:42 pm

Coming from Man City - moving to most clubs would be a pay cut!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #795: Jul 02, 2012 06:29:55 pm
      Joe cole as far as i know?!?!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #796: Jul 02, 2012 06:31:52 pm
      A bit tired after  longggggggg waiting for an announcement (with hope of finally we get him), anyway I'm the one who believe in a miracle :D

LFCexiled
      Reply #797: Jul 02, 2012 06:33:54 pm

Makes sense, if the rumoured announcement of Boas to spurs tomorrow is true then thankfully this thread has less than 24 hours left.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #798: Jul 02, 2012 06:35:34 pm
      Name from the current squad World class players other than Gerrard that have been made at Anfield. Those days are gone were players were given time to develop its now or never.
      We used to laugh at Everton who were frequently linked with quality players who once they made the wage demands had Everton looking for reverse .I hope we are not going that way.
      This is modern football money talks if he is good enough in Brendans eyes he should be fighting to get him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #799: Jul 02, 2012 06:38:43 pm

And (while you're talking about boring footy cliches) F**k the whole "everyone wants money over anything else". There are actually still alot of players who'd take a paycut to play for us, and I'd rather have them than Sigurdsson (if it is the case, i know it may just be speculation).

Then you'd be a mug mate and you'd be letting Liverpool take you for a ride.

Ok so if Barca offer you 100K a week to play for them you'll say no I'm gonna play for Liverpool for free? It's easy to say yet I somehow doubt in practice you would fella, especially when you've got a family to feed. It's not a dick measuring contest mate, you can be a better fan than me if it makes you feel good.

The point is Sigurdsson is a Utd fan from Iceland who has lived close to the Big Smoke most of his life. Why would he join Liverpool over Spurs for less money? 

If he comes here, I'll be over the moon mate. So if I look a dope I'll get over it. Not that I should  anyway because if Sigurdsson comes here it will be because he has been given an offer similar to that of Spurs. If he doesn't, it will be because he has been offered a better offer there. F**k he might even think he's joining a better side. The league form the past 3 years seems to back that up anyway.

We as a club need to get back to challenging for titles. That is the only fool proof way of attracting players - that and good wages.

Finally, I hope FSG don't continue to be outbid by our rivals for our main targets. It doesn't sit well with me that they are still fairly new here, yet seem to be losing the will to invest in the side for a player who is well worth the money.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2012 06:53:40 pm by fields of anny rd »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #800: Jul 02, 2012 06:40:47 pm

Not necessarily a dope, most of what said is generally the realism of todays world. Nobody's 100 % so,      'mistaken against the odds'     perhaps.         ;D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #801: Jul 02, 2012 06:45:21 pm

Yes, of course he did. Silly me never thought of him.  :f_doh:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #802: Jul 02, 2012 06:48:25 pm
      I'd play for Liverpool for free personally.
      If your good at something never do it for free.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #803: Jul 02, 2012 06:51:29 pm
      Reds agree Sigurdsson deal:

http://t.co/ArfaI255
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961