Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Thursday 1st February 2007

Read 3952 times
      BC231979
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Thursday 1st February 2007
      Jun 06, 2012 10:42:00 pm
      It was the morning of Thursday 1st February 2007.  The morning sun was just starting to peek through the bedroom curtains.  A tired and unsettled figure awoke in a cold sweat.  A dream had disrupted the gentleman's unsteady sleep.  A dream or a nightmare, even a vision perhaps.  One of those dreams where all you care for and live for are threatened.  The blind panic that surrounds you for the first seconds of waking from that dream was engulfing the then Chairman of Liverpool FC.

David Moores had recently preferred the sale of the club to American investors earning himself and the shareholders an extra £500 for each share after becoming disillusioned with the delaying tactics of the Dubai Investment Corporation (DIC).  DIC had been looking to buy LFC for over a year and the American George Gillett's interest came later.  Gillett had recently been sniffing around Aston Villa but lost out to another American investor.  With the doubts surrounding Gillett's financial situation and the annoyance of being kept waiting by DIC, Moores was somewhat pleased to see a Tom Hicks come into the fray.

Moores was clearly seduced by the Americans and their charm offensive.  When Hicks the big hitter entered the field of play with his massive financial clout Moores thought he had found the dream owners.  He sided with the Yanks and a disappointed DIC pubically declared their withdrawl.  Tom and George were in.

It was the dream.  The nightmare of administration, interest payments, star players leaving, spades in the ground and somewhat strangely Weetabix alerted the business brain of David Moores into action.  His first task that dull Thursday morning was to phone his partner in crime Rick Parry.  Moores informed Parry of the dream and told Parry to cancel any further dialogue with Hicks and Gillett.  Much to Parry's dislike, following his blossoming relationship with George, the LFC Chief Executive phoned Gillett and broke the news that the deal was off.

George Gillett and Tom Hicks spoke of an epic swindle as the LFC owners turned against their offer.  The Americans PR machine spoke of their hand of friendship being twisted and bitten by Moores.  The LFC Chairman stood by his decision despite the best efforts of Rick Parry and the board of LFC.  DIC were asked to come back in immediately with the promise of no further prospective bidders being entertained.  DIC considered their position and came back with a new offer.  The club was sold for £400m, a big hit on the original offer.

On the field LFC were off the pace in the league and were chasing European glory again.  By the time DIC were formally installed at Anfield, AC Milan had made up for Istanbul in Athens.  Manager, Rafael Benitez concluded his post match press conference in a calm manner speaking of future plans and high hopes.  The summer's transfer action saw acquisitions including Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Yossi Benayoun, Gareth Bale, Carlos Tevez, Javier Mascherano and Leighton Baines.

Liverpool progressed well during the league in 2007-08 and completed a Champions League group stage without defeat.  The new signings were bedding in nicely and troubles at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford were timed to perfection as LFC strode towards title number nineteen.  A victory at Manchester United put the Reds ten points clear in March 2008 and Benitez announced that he had signed a new contract.  Barcelona took the Reds to extra-time in the Champions League semi-final but captain Stevie Gerrard scored a thirty yard screamer to send the Reds through.  Moscow in May was a sea of Red as title celebrations reached across the Eastern block to the Soviet state.  Benitez and his LFC troops made light work of defeating a Schalke 04 side 3-0 in the final.

David Moores stood in the rain of Moscow as the proud honorary life president of Liverpool Football Club safe in the knowledge of having made the most difficult decision of his life and getting it spot on.  His cigarette may have been half put out and his designer suit drenched but his smile was beaming in celebration alongside the men he handed his crown jewels to.

Maybe it was not his dream but mine..........
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Thursday 1st February 2007
      Reply #1: Jun 06, 2012 10:53:21 pm
      I"m half afraid to respond :couch:But is there someone smoking the weed in here. :)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2: Jun 06, 2012 11:14:26 pm
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #3: Jun 06, 2012 11:15:55 pm
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4: Jun 07, 2012 12:06:40 am

;D

It's one of the weird 'can't help staring' pics ain't it?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #5: Jun 07, 2012 12:14:49 am
      ;D

It's one of the weird 'can't help staring' pics ain't it?

Yes, it's the mushroom hair that does it.  :gt-happyup:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2012 12:23:24 am
      Yes, it's the mushroom hair that does it.  :gt-happyup:

;D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2012 12:38:24 am
      I don't think I "get" this thread.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: Jun 07, 2012 12:45:48 am
      I don't think I "get" this thread.
      I get it, the decision to get H&G over DIC was the worst decision in sport's history.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Jun 07, 2012 03:07:48 am
      I thought I was reading a Hicks and Gillett Slash Fiction thread for a moment.

That is a distasteful image indeed.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jun 07, 2012 08:49:12 am
      Just when we thought the nightmares over Hicks and Gillette were gone forever this gets dragged up.If you need to go back in time could you go back to some of our happier times please.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2012 10:00:13 am
      I get it, the decision to get H&G over DIC was the worst decision in sport's history.

Indeed.
      Although I think we've done the Parry and Moores were incompetent bit to death now.
      We are where we are. Rafa is gone. Gillett and Hicks are gone.
      We move forward.

Those two things on the side of your head are ears, not wingmirrors.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Jun 07, 2012 10:34:17 am
      "The most valuable lesson man has learned from his dog is to kick a few blades of grass over it and move on."  ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2012 11:22:51 am
      "The most valuable lesson man has learned from his dog is to kick a few blades of grass over it and move on."  ;)

:lmao:

You can't beat a bit of Confucious.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #14: Jun 07, 2012 11:53:51 am
      Haha
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Jun 07, 2012 08:45:58 pm
      Just when we thought the nightmares over Hicks and Gillette were gone forever this gets dragged up.If you need to go back in time could you go back to some of our happier times please.

Its all a bit underwhelming this isn't it Billy ?  Back to Neanderthal preferably.

A lot of Confucius around today though.  Must be Venus crossing the Sun.

LFCexiled
      Reply #16: Jun 07, 2012 09:27:40 pm
      .....Back to Neanderthal preferably.

Did you catch the OP's username? ;)
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #17: Jun 07, 2012 10:06:59 pm
      Gets my vote for the most bizarre thread of the year. Twighlight zone anybody muhaahahah
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #18: Jun 07, 2012 10:47:23 pm
      I am confused.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Jun 07, 2012 11:10:32 pm
      ''There's no dark side of the moon really'',  :f_tongueincheek:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20: Jun 08, 2012 10:12:39 am
      I'm sure that Moores is sleeping very well in his villa in spain.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #21: Jun 12, 2012 04:05:22 pm
      Dont remember this happening?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #22: Jun 12, 2012 04:07:53 pm
      I'm sure that Moores is sleeping very well with Villa in spain.

:holyshit:

Quick Reply