Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was Liverpool's best striker in your opinion?

Ian Rush
      37 (82.2%)
      Robbie Fowler
      6 (13.3%)
      Michael Owen
      2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Owen, God, or Rushie

Read 11147 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Owen, God, or Rushie
      Jun 08, 2012 05:05:02 pm
      Which striker was the best of the three in your opinion? I left King Kenny out, because it's pretty straight-forward he was better than all three of them. Anyway, without judging them on things like joining United, who was the best of the three - Owen, God, or Rushie?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Owen, God, or Rushie
      Reply #1: Jun 08, 2012 05:09:02 pm
      I can't separate God or Rush, but Owen isn't even in the same league as them two.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2: Jun 08, 2012 05:13:27 pm
      Two horse race there and one hell of a decision................ ....................I'll go for Rush.................... .........nah Fowler.................. ..tough one this.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #3: Jun 08, 2012 05:28:28 pm
      Dave.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #4: Jun 08, 2012 05:29:57 pm
      For me, Fowler is the best English player I've seen at Striker.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #5: Jun 08, 2012 05:32:23 pm
      Fowler
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #6: Jun 08, 2012 05:49:03 pm
      God.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #7: Jun 08, 2012 05:50:13 pm
      That little Judas tw*t has no right to be mentioned in the same sentance for me.

But in answer to the question, Rush.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Jun 08, 2012 05:51:58 pm
      Oh I got a good chuckle out of that Owen or God Owen or Rush  :lmao:

Oh you were serious!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #9: Jun 08, 2012 05:52:53 pm
      That little Judas tw*t has no right to be mentioned in the same sentance for me.
      No argument.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #10: Jun 08, 2012 05:54:48 pm
      Which striker was the best of the three in your opinion? I left King Kenny out, because it's pretty straight-forward he was better than all three of them. Anyway, without judging them on things like joining United, who was the best of the three - Owen, God, or Rushie?

No contest.

Rushie - greatest goalscorer in the clubs history and has the medals to prove it, far more than the other two as well!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Jun 08, 2012 06:10:59 pm
      Given myself a headache trying to decide, but has to be Rush for me. Did it better for longer and worked his balls off while doing it too. 
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #12: Jun 08, 2012 06:21:38 pm
      I am same as everyone else, very difficult to decide between Rush and Fowler, but Robbie gets it for me, best finisher I have ever seen.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2012 06:22:32 pm
      Rush for me.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2012 06:25:35 pm
      Agree with some that ohwhen....(i was good)  ;) shouldnt be in the same sentance, and agree that its a toughie picking between Rush and god, I met Rushie a few years back, top bloke never had the pleaseure of meeting god though.......Just for the fact that I know he's a top bloke and he is the clubs greatest goal scorer I'll have to pick Rushie.
      Still think Fowler is one of the (if not thee) Best strikers England has ever produced.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2012 06:35:35 pm
      Came on here to say Fowler but the more I think the more Rush strengthens. The two were fantastic for us. Both are loyal to us. Both historic number 9's.

I'm going to say Fowler as I grew up watching him. But it could just as easily be Rush. Two legends.

I'm not ignoring Owen because he stabbed us in the back but for two different reasons. He always relied on a strike partner wether that was Fowler himself or Heskey. But I think he was unbelievable in a two up top but Rush and Fowler are two players you could stick up top alone and have equal confidence in.

The other point is, Owen had the world at his feet with us. But he hasn't been anywhere near prolific in nearly 10 years. For me Rush and Fowler were much more consistent throughout their careers.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #16: Jun 08, 2012 06:50:34 pm
      Came on here to say Fowler but the more I think the more Rush strengthens. The two were fantastic for us. Both are loyal to us. Both historic number 9's.

I'm not ignoring Owen because he stabbed us in the back but for two different reasons. He always relied on a strike partner wether that was Fowler himself or Heskey. But I think he was unbelievable in a two up top but Rush and Fowler are two players you could stick up top alone and have equal confidence in.

I disagree with you on Owen needing a strike partner to succeed or for us to win. Owen won us countless games all by himself... and of the 3 strikers mentioned here spent the most time isolated and with very little to go on in the way of service. He comes 3rd in this race though.

Although Robbie was my favourite player of all time I have to go for Rush at 1 as he did it for longer and the best part of 350 goals is just incredible. That said i believe Robbie was a better finisher than Rushie and if he had played his career in the teams that Rush did and had a little luck with injuries I feel that he would be our leading all time scorer and number one in this arguement.

Rush, Robbie, Owen!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #17: Jun 08, 2012 07:05:10 pm
      Robbie Fowler was out of this world and is the best striker the Premiership has seen but Ian Rush, well what can i say?.

Simply the best for me. You just knew with Rushie that when he got into position that ball was only going one place and it usually ended up with the keeper picking it up out of the net.

How i wish we could unearth a striker like Rush or Fowler again, it has seemed like an age since we had a striker that gave you that feeling i commented on above.

I hope Suarez and Carroll can kick on from last Season and increase their conversion ratio.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #18: Jun 08, 2012 07:07:34 pm
      Rushie all day for me and it takes someone really special to be ahead of Fowler.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Jun 08, 2012 07:13:43 pm
      Robbie was great, but will go for Rush.

Owen was good but for too short a time. And the the lad has notions. Left LFC to sit on the bench at Real. And would prefer to sit on the bench at Utd then play regularly for a 'lesser' team.  Bit of a plonker really.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #20: Jun 08, 2012 07:33:10 pm
      Rushie was my absolute hero as a kid but even putting sentiment to one side, I'd still go for him. Not only was his finishing immense but he did so much for the team as a whole, defending from the front.

It's no disgrace to be second to Ian Rush and Fowler was still a truly amazing player.

Owen is a very distant third (of those three). He was excellent when he first came through then got big headed and stood around waiting for the perfect pass. I, for one wasn't sad to see him go.

Some of Ian Rush's Goals
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #21: Jun 08, 2012 07:39:55 pm
      Rush, Fowler

Owen
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #22: Jun 08, 2012 07:45:23 pm

Some of Rushie's best goals in that video.  :gt-happyup:

Great memories.  :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #23: Jun 08, 2012 07:45:43 pm
      Rush, Fowler, Baros, Aldridge, Heskey --------------------------------------- Owen.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #24: Jun 08, 2012 07:47:22 pm

Fixed that for you.  ;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #25: Jun 08, 2012 07:53:15 pm
      Absolutely loved Fowler and scored some brilliant goals for us , but i could never put him in front of Rush ,as said Rush has the medals and stats to back it all up , but its not a bad thing just getting pipped by Rush ,
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2012 07:54:24 pm
      Rushie was my absolute hero as a kid but even putting sentiment to one side, I'd still go for him. Not only was his finishing immense but he did so much for the team as a whole, defending from the front.

It's no disgrace to be second to Ian Rush and Fowler was still a truly amazing player.

Owen is a very distant third (of those three). He was excellent when he first came through then got big headed and stood around waiting for the perfect pass. I, for one wasn't sad to see him go.

Some of Ian Rush's Goals

He didn't get many perfect passes in the houllier team unless it was from Gerrard. He did well to score the goals he did and even Rushie would have struggled to be a consistant scorer in that 2003/4 season. Maybe you wish he'd left earlier then?? We only qualified for the champions league in his final season because of his goals. Without those goals Istanbul would not have happened as we would not have been in the competition as we would have finished about 10th and not 4th! I may not like the fact he played for the s*um but it does not cloud my judgment as to what he did for us while he was here and while he was here he was an excellent servant to the club and a good professional!

I was sad to see him go. It wasn't like we had another Owen, Fowler or Rush to replace him. Im sad when any quality player leaves Liverpool, whether it be Rush, Fowler, owen or Torres, Alonso...its never a good thing...but we move on.

But in summary...I do agree with you...he was a distant 3rd compared to Rush and Fowler and probably is behind Torres to when it comes to modern day strikers!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #27: Jun 08, 2012 07:58:49 pm
      Rush, Fowler, Baros, Aldridge, Heskey --------------------------------------- Owen.

Why are Dundee and Meijer not in there ahead of Owen as well?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2012 08:05:35 pm
      I disagree with you on Owen needing a strike partner to succeed or for us to win. Owen won us countless games all by himself... and of the 3 strikers mentioned here spent the most time isolated and with very little to go on in the way of service. He comes 3rd in this race though.

Although Robbie was my favourite player of all time I have to go for Rush at 1 as he did it for longer and the best part of 350 goals is just incredible. That said i believe Robbie was a better finisher than Rushie and if he had played his career in the teams that Rush did and had a little luck with injuries I feel that he would be our leading all time scorer and number one in this arguement.

Rush, Robbie, Owen!

Didn't mean it like that mate. I meant more on terms of formation. I think Owen worked better with two up top and if he were to play as a lone striker he wouldn't be as prolific. But I think Rush and Fowler could lead the line alone and get the same results.

Irregardless of Owen's decisions he undoubtedly won us many games. FA Cup final in 2001 is a prime example.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #29: Jun 08, 2012 08:16:01 pm
      Has to be Rush as many have given reason s why, Robbie 2nd.

Both F***ing lethal though, and Robbie scored some screamers too.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2012 08:17:54 pm
      Didn't mean it like that mate. I meant more on terms of formation. I think Owen worked better with two up top and if he were to play as a lone striker he wouldn't be as prolific. But I think Rush and Fowler could lead the line alone and get the same results.

Irregardless of Owen's decisions he undoubtedly won us many games. FA Cup final in 2001 is a prime example.

Fair enough mate....point taken! Rushie was the master up front on his own in europe...making chances for himself...still the model that all other strikers should watch and learn from!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2012 08:22:53 pm
      I may not like the fact he played for the s*um but it does not cloud my judgment as to what he did for us while he was here and while he was here he was an excellent servant to the club and a good professional!

Good for you but my judgement is not clouded either. I used to love Owen and was delighted that we'd gone from Rush to Fowler to another world class striker but I said at the time (not that I have any way of proving it to you) that Owen stopped giving his all for the team. I appreciate he had injury niggles that may have played on his mind but he stopped ducking under defenders arms and wrestling his way through to the ball and he stopped chasing balls that were heading out, on the off chance that he might get it and catch the defenders out. To my mind, he thought he'd made it and was a superstar. The hunger had gone.

Of course his goals contributed and I'm grateful for the contributions of any player that helped us to reach the CL but those circa 20 goals don't mean he was the same player we had on our hands before.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2012 08:36:44 pm
      Good for you but my judgement is not clouded either. I used to love Owen and was delighted that we'd gone from Rush to Fowler to another world class striker but I said at the time (not that I have any way of proving it to you) that Owen stopped giving his all for the team. I appreciate he had injury niggles that may have played on his mind but he stopped ducking under defenders arms and wrestling his way through to the ball and he stopped chasing balls that were heading out, on the off chance that he might get it and catch the defenders out. To my mind, he thought he'd made it and was a superstar. The hunger had gone.

Of course his goals contributed and I'm grateful for the contributions of any player that helped us to reach the CL but those circa 20 goals don't mean he was the same player we had on our hands before.

In some ways I felt he was a better all round player when he left...even though that explosive pace had gone. But 20 goals is a good contribution as it 158 goals in 297 games.

I disagree on the not giving his all part..but you  are entitled to your opinion...and I respect it. I felt that Mcmanaman didnt give his all in his last 6 months..but for me Owen always gave 100% and to say he was fed on scraps most of the time would be being generous.

I will always be appreciative of his efforts while he was here...like I said...a good servant, a good professional and European footballer Of The Year...yeah...wasn't bad was he !!

If we had a player of his quality up front last season kenny would still be in a job. Goals pay the rent...and our strikers...sorry to say...for all the money they cost...don't contribute enough...thats why we dont win enough games.

But thats what makes the great strikers great...you can't teach it..you are born with it...Hunt had it..as did Rush, Fowler, Torres, Owen...all great strikers in their own right...and I would love to have any one of them in our current squad!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #33: Jun 08, 2012 08:41:41 pm
      Shame Owen went like a rat.

Was always gonna move to Madrid for virtually F**k all and I truly don't care if he played for Utd or not, they way he fu**ed the club over in the summer of 2004 is the real scandal.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #34: Jun 08, 2012 08:42:49 pm

Was always gonna move to Madrid for virtually f**k all and I truly don't care if he played for Utd or not, they way he fu**ed the club over in the summer of 2004 is the real scandal.

Must have been advised by Shaggy who did the same.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #35: Jun 08, 2012 08:47:34 pm
      If we had a player of his quality up front last season kenny would still be in a job.

That part I'd have difficulty arguing with.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #36: Jun 08, 2012 08:48:22 pm
      He he you said Baros....
      You just cant beat Ian Rush the man was a one man goal machine.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: Jun 08, 2012 08:48:52 pm
      This question is a bit like.. Which is best sex, a blow job or a massive kick in the bollocks...

Easy for me really even though I loved both Rushie and Fowler..

But..

Rush
      Fowler
      The massive kick in the bollocks..
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #38: Jun 08, 2012 08:50:21 pm
      Must have been advised by Shaggy who did the same.
      what pisses me off about those two going to Madrid is we got shafted twice big time.They both said "We are bigger than LFC and we want out". That was enough for me no longer think of them as Liverpool players.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Jun 08, 2012 08:50:33 pm
      I never watched Rush play before.

I've never watched alot of God either. Only his short second stint and the latter years of his first stint.

As for Owen, also only saw him about a couple of years till he left in 2004.

Based on what I've read and the records and statistics say it all - Ian Rush is the best forward the club has ever had and Robbie Fowler is a close second (isn't Robbie one of the Premier League era's top goalscorer or something behind Shearer, Cole and Henry or something?).
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #40: Jun 08, 2012 08:52:21 pm
      This question is a bit like.. Which is best sex, a blow job or a massive kick in the bollocks...

Two minor questions:

Are you giving, or recieving the blowjob?

Some people love the aggressive side of sex, so they might like they're balls being kicked. 
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #41: Jun 08, 2012 08:55:39 pm

Was always gonna move to Madrid for virtually f**k all and I truly don't care if he played for Utd or not, they way he fu**ed the club over in the summer of 2004 is the real scandal.

Have you read Guillem Balague's book 'A season on the brink' I take it you have. Written with Rafa?? And I am sure you will remember the part that said when Rafa went to the england camp he did not pay much attention to Owen... as despite having nothing personal against him..he had already decided that he HE wanted to sell Owen. Rafa made the decision to sell him to raise money for Alonso and Garcia and I think it worked out pretty well didn't it. But don't let the facts get in the way of the 'scandal' eh. The fact we sold him for 7m and put no buy back clause in the deal is parry's fault, not Owen's.

I think Owen would have stayed after Benitez took over..but Rafa didnt want him and decided to sell him....and when he had the chance to sign him further down the road..he didn't sign him then either. Rafa didn't fancy him...and that happens in football!

So I wouldn't call him a rat.....now as for Torres....
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2012 08:59:23 pm

Still a Rat though and as for the recent Rat we got £50 million for him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2012 08:59:46 pm
      Have you read Guillem Balague's book 'A season on the brink' I take it you have. Written with Rafa?? And I am sure you will remember the part that said when Rafa went to the england camp he did not pay much attention to Owen... as despite having nothing personal against him..he had already decided that he HE wanted to sell Owen. Rafa made the decision to sell him to raise money for Alonso and Garcia and I think it worked out pretty well didn't it. But don't let the facts get in the way of the 'scandal' eh. The fact we sold him for 7m and put no buy back clause in the deal is parry's fault, not Owen's.

I think Owen would have stayed after Benitez took over..but Rafa didnt want him and decided to sell him....and when he had the chance to sign him further down the road..he didn't sign him then either. Rafa didn't fancy him...and that happens in football!

Or maybe Rick Parry had already notified Rafa of what Owen was planning seeing as everytime Parry tried to sit down with Owen to discuss a contract, before Rafa had even turned up, you know when Houllier was in charge, he was told by Owen, he couldn't discuss anything as his agent was on a sabbatical.

Ring any bells. F**k all to do with Rafa, Owen had been planning on leaving before Rafa even turned up, so don't use that argument.

And Torres is a c**t!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2012 09:04:59 pm
      Heart says Fowler.

Head says Rushie.

Was there a misprint in the opening thread ? Dont know a Bowen.

(and Torres is a c**t)
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2012 09:11:39 pm
      Or maybe Rick Parry had already notified Rafa of what Owen was planning seeing as everytime Parry tried to sit down with Owen to discuss a contract, before Rafa had even turned up, you know when Houllier was in charge, he was told by Owen, he couldn't discuss anything as his agent was on a sabbatical.

Ring any bells. F**k all to do with Rafa, Owen had been planning on leaving before Rafa even turned up, so don't use that argument.

And Torres is a c**t!

Nope...I disagree....Owen simply refused to sign another 4 years away to Houllier...and a team going nowhere 30 points off the top...you know...when he got those goals to scrape us into the champions league. If I had been Owen I would have been thinking about going too....but like i say...dont let the truth get in the way of the scandal. But hang on a minute.... oh yeah..seem to remember our captain going even further than Owen did...thats right..during the same summer he set himself up for a move to chelsea and pi*sed us about all summer through euro 2004...oh and he did it again the next summer.

No contract was offered to Owen after rafa took over...as Rafa wanted to sell him...those are the facts. As Balague and Rafa discussed for the book...it was nothing personal..he just didn't want him...and like I said...it turned out great business in that we got Alonso and Garcia.

As for Torres'.... bang on the money!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2012 09:14:20 pm
      No contract was offered to Owen after rafa took over...as Rafa wanted to sell him...those are the facts. As Balague and Rafa discussed for the book...it was nothing personal..he just didn't want him...and like I said...it turned out great business in that we got Alonso and Garcia.

Agree with that.

Other argument could be that Madrid were never going to spend £30 million plus on him anyway, so it was either £8 million at the point we sold him or for F**k all the end of the next season.

Oh and Madrid pissing us about with Morientes didn't help matters either!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2012 09:26:44 pm
      Agree with that.

Other argument could be that Madrid were never going to spend £30 million plus on him anyway, so it was either £8 million at the point we sold him or for f**k all the end of the next season.

Oh and Madrid pissing us about with Morientes didn't help matters either!

If Rafa had wanted him...he would have stayed. Whilst I can't be sure...I believe there is no way he would have done a macca on us and gone for nothing..I am sure he would have signed an extension.

It worked out great for us...not so well for him...but thats football isnt it. I would have loved to have had him being fed by Alonso as well as gerrard, especially after Cisse broke his leg.

Whatever...doesn't change anything in that he was a great player for us and professional....but he wasn't as good as Rushie or Robbie and on his day I think that Torres was better than him to.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #48: Jun 08, 2012 11:43:16 pm
      Macca told Owen that you could make big bucks walking around the Bernebau of an evening match with a ciggie on doing nothing...just like him.

Trouble was Owen got his wish but within a very short time he was down to 4th in the pecking order at RM.

Galcaticos ? SlackAlice.

All Liverpool players (Rushie from Juventus) had buy back clauses so I'm not that sure about the Parry " not putting one in".

Anyway I digress.

Little Traitor Mickey O thought he could come straight back after Madrid. No.

Even at Newcastle he thought we would come knocking for him. No.

He then self destructs any possible credibility he may have had, by joining the Scum and playing our Fergie's warped fantasy world

Stevie.
      Parry should have had a rocket up his arse.
      Couldn't communicate to Stevie and Parry was so laid back about a new contract he had fallen over.
      Stevie thought the club couldnt give a f**k about him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Jun 08, 2012 11:51:09 pm
      Why are Dundee and Meijer not in there ahead of Owen as well?

They are represented with ---- chuck Niel Mellor the European Cup winner in there too
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #50: Jun 09, 2012 12:42:53 am
      They are represented with ---- chuck Niel Mellor the European Cup winner in there too

Shouldn't that be the runners-up medal given to him by Pellegrino!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #51: Jun 09, 2012 05:17:07 am
      RUSH!!!!! Such a fantastic player and what a record for us.
      Until the league cup final against Arse back in 87, every time he scored we never ever lost!!!!
      Brilliant player.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #52: Jun 09, 2012 09:02:08 am
      This is mental, like asking which of your kids is your favourite. Was getting to matches regularly through times of all three. I don't think there was ever, or will ever be, a striker with the work rate of Rushie, my hero in his day, but on shear talent, have to go for Robbie.  No mistake about it, whatever you think of him now, Owen was a quality striker for us, just not up there with the others.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #53: Jun 09, 2012 09:17:02 am
      Rush just before Robbie.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #54: Jun 09, 2012 09:46:01 am
       I will go for Rush first with Fowler a close second,who was the 3rd striker you mentioned,I cant think of his name.
        WHY did you not include Roger Hunt,believe me he was the tops 245 goals in 401 games and no fancy stuff either ,he just put the ball in the net.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #55: Jun 09, 2012 09:47:45 am
      Fowler only because hes my fav ex player.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: Jun 09, 2012 10:18:42 am
      Rush without doubt for the length and consistency of his goal scoring and everything he won with us.

Fowler is still the most natural finisher I have ever seen though, there was just no back lift in his shots whether they 6 yards out or 25 yards out, he was phenomenal in his day.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #57: Jun 09, 2012 12:54:54 pm
      No Titi Camara?

Rush for me as he was consistent over a longer period of time. Club's all time leading goal scorer kind of says it all.

Fowler may have had a bit more variety in his finishing and I loved his bad side too, but Rush edges it for me.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #58: Jun 09, 2012 01:16:16 pm
      Rush. Demon predator, and our first line of defence. He always tracked back and harried players for the ball when we lost possession up the pitch. Then Fowler, the most gifted scorer of a goal I've ever seen. Loved how he would pass the ball into the net. Then Owen, who was blistering at first, and has that knack of knowing where to be when it matters. Shellshocked when he left, but hasn't he admitted elsewhere that it's just a game and he has no great commitment to any one team? Or was that Torres? I forget, and could care less, actually.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #59: Jun 09, 2012 01:22:03 pm
      Rush, all day long for me.

Fowler was great too but not quite at Rushie's level.

Owen Hargreaves is an ex Manc tw#t midfielder - why is he in this list?
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #60: Jun 09, 2012 02:01:58 pm
      Macca told Owen that you could make big bucks walking around the Bernebau of an evening match with a ciggie on doing nothing...just like him.

Trouble was Owen got his wish but within a very short time he was down to 4th in the pecking order at RM.

Galcaticos ? SlackAlice.

All Liverpool players (Rushie from Juventus) had buy back clauses so I'm not that sure about the Parry " not putting one in".

Anyway I digress.

Little Traitor Mickey O thought he could come straight back after Madrid. No.

Even at Newcastle he thought we would come knocking for him. No.

He then self destructs any possible credibility he may have had, by joining the Scum and playing our Fergie's warped fantasy world

Stevie.
      Parry should have had a rocket up his arse.
      Couldn't communicate to Stevie and Parry was so laid back about a new contract he had fallen over.
      Stevie thought the club couldnt give a f**k about him.

Mcmanaman got motm in the european cup final - so didnt do too bad did he?

Owen made 45 appearances scoring 16 goals for Madrid - not bad for a bench player.

Parry did not put a buy back clause in - thats why we were trying to buy a quality 25 year old striker and a former european footballer of the year for 7m quid - a joke!!

Owen didn't think he could come back after Madrid - he wanted to...but its impossible when one club offers 17m and the other one 7m. Maybe our clueless chief exec thought madrid would say arrrhhhh let him go back to Liverpool..we can take the 10m loss - yeah right. Madrid are a business, parry thought they would show some sentiment...thats why Rafa couldn't stand him as he was useless at his job.

Owen managed to persuade a desperate Newcastle to let him sign a contract that had so many holes in it for him to escape we could have signed him back. But we didn't as Rafa didn't want him....thats football and thats life. We had Cisse and Crouch by that point I think as well as Kuyt and Morientes so were well covered!

Yeah he signed for the sc*m...what was he supposed to do faced with a choice of them, stoke or wolves?? Like it or not Michael Owen is career driven and he made the choice that was best for his career.....it turned my stomach...but he is a professional footballer and I am not. I will always respect what he did for this club over the 7 years he was here. He gave us his best years.

As for Stevie..2005 was Parry's fault with no blame attached to Stevie..but 2004 which you conveniently ignore was down to Gerrard. He pi*sed us about all summer at euro 2004 with fat frank and JTit. He pushed for a move to Chelsea that summer. I don't remember Owen acting as such.

Sorry to pick your post apart.....I respect your opinion... but this is mine!

Also apologies to the mods for drifting off topic....will pull myself into line.

Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #61: Jun 09, 2012 02:48:36 pm
      Rushie would be my choice but with the comment that he had KK alongside him to provide the ammo, someone who God didn't have.

Just changed my mind- they were both equally brilliant. Dead heat.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #62: Jun 09, 2012 03:54:53 pm
      Rushie for me, but it is a close call.
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #63: Jun 09, 2012 05:10:38 pm
      Rush all day long .. We will probably never have a man again that had such an eye for scoring goals in such abundance ...
      Sir Bob once told him to get greedy with the ball ..He never looked back after that
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #64: Jun 09, 2012 05:23:36 pm
      If Carroll or Suarez can match the consistency of Ian or Robbie I'll be well happy.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #65: Jun 09, 2012 06:51:26 pm
      God for me is right up there with Rushie. I still love going back and watching that man's finishing touch. It was truly god like.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #66: Jun 09, 2012 07:40:00 pm
      I've never seen Rushie in action, but I've seen Fowler and Owen, my pick is Fowler
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #67: Jun 09, 2012 08:58:32 pm
      Rush. No question. No hesitation. Best striker of all time.

As redkenny once said, 'I used to think his name was Ian Rushgoal'.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #68: Jun 09, 2012 10:08:22 pm
      Mcmanaman got motm in the european cup final - so didnt do too bad did he?

Owen made 45 appearances scoring 16 goals for Madrid - not bad for a bench player.

Parry did not put a buy back clause in - thats why we were trying to buy a quality 25 year old striker and a former european footballer of the year for 7m quid - a joke!!

Owen didn't think he could come back after Madrid - he wanted to...but its impossible when one club offers 17m and the other one 7m. Maybe our clueless chief exec thought madrid would say arrrhhhh let him go back to Liverpool..we can take the 10m loss - yeah right. Madrid are a business, parry thought they would show some sentiment...thats why Rafa couldn't stand him as he was useless at his job.

Owen managed to persuade a desperate Newcastle to let him sign a contract that had so many holes in it for him to escape we could have signed him back. But we didn't as Rafa didn't want him....thats football and thats life. We had Cisse and Crouch by that point I think as well as Kuyt and Morientes so were well covered!

Yeah he signed for the sc*m...what was he supposed to do faced with a choice of them, stoke or wolves?? Like it or not Michael Owen is career driven and he made the choice that was best for his career.....it turned my stomach...but he is a professional footballer and I am not. I will always respect what he did for this club over the 7 years he was here. He gave us his best years.

As for Stevie..2005 was Parry's fault with no blame attached to Stevie..but 2004 which you conveniently ignore was down to Gerrard. He pi*sed us about all summer at euro 2004 with fat frank and JTit. He pushed for a move to Chelsea that summer. I don't remember Owen acting as such.

Sorry to pick your post apart.....I respect your opinion... but this is mine!

Also apologies to the mods for drifting off topic....will pull myself into line.

Macmanaman.

Tells me everything him growing up a Bitter who offered him a one year contract yet he went with us because we gave him a two year.
      True Blue eh?

I had just moved to Spain and watched Macmanaman on Canal Plus each week in the Spanish League. I had an interest to.
      It was embarrassing him shying out of tackles passing the ball sideways and not committing.
      He gave a cameo when the cameras were on him. World Club stuff etc.

Some people do a good interview but are crap at their job.
      He put a couple of hours in for the CL..Final..       the CV would look good.

At Liverpool's expense and exploitation of his contract position he became the highest paid British player 2000 / 2001.
      Indeed when Del Bosque wanted to get rid of him after 14 months our Macca refused to budge getting his £56,000 a week sitting in the Madrid reserves and giving his weekly interviews from his yacht in Estepona/Marbella to the Spanish press.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2000/aug/09/newsstory.sport1

Boots. Remember his boots? When he was a kid Umbro gave him a contract and some big pennies at the time to endorse their boots.
      Enough for the Spice Boy life until of course Reebok starting waving their chequebook about.
      F**K the contract he said. Ill scribble out the Umbro name take the Reebok money and have the last laugh.
      Im Macca. Ill do what I like.

Umbro had the last laugh when they won in Court.
      Thanks to Macca putting a commercial shock through the Anfield Halls .... Robbie was knee jerked off to Leeds before he could play any games.

Owen.

You know then that we didn't  put a Buy Back Clause in ?     Source ?

However, what if we did have one and didn't want him or what if we didn't?
      Irrelevant.
      Owen grandstanded everyone long enough ..... and the credit to Rafa .....when he came in he gave Owen an ultimatum.
      Owen went.

Would you want to re - hire an employee that had sh*t on you?
      Freddy Shepherd himself told one of our supporters a couple of years later that he would have carried Owen back to Liverpool.

Owen had been with us since 12 years of age. had come through the ranks when he was doing his schooling.
      It was Owen who thought he could become a Galacticos. Owen jumped at it .
      No one pushed him.

Must have been a culture shock to big head,  to find himself fourth in the Madrid pecking order.

In my eyes Owen lost any credibility he may have had left moving to the Scum.

Tevez and Gabriel Heinze had more honestly loyalty and ethics regarding the Utd / Liverpool historic relationship.
      Heinze could have fought Fergie legally.
      He would have won on a Restraint Of Trade so a leading Barrister said at the time.

The whole Owen - Fergie love in wanted to make me vomit.

When Owen sits down in years to come and looks back on his career , he will not be held in the affection of a City and millions of fans world wide.
      He will be looked down upon as he is.

A selfish little journey man and mercenary

Just like Torres. Just like Macmanaman.

Owen: A man who even as a 12 year old boy joining the club he knew the history between the club (that eventually made him ) and their bitter rivals.

"Professional" my arse. 
      Punt the glossy brochure again and see who comes out of the woodwork.
      Even now he is sniffing round Southampton for a contract because in his own words  "I am still more than good enough for the Premier League"

We give our loyalty .... we give everything to those players who put themselves on the line in every game.
      We put our hard earned pounds in their pockets at the end of the day.
      We expect that loyalty returned.

We fully support a professional footballer plying his trade and moving on.
      Sometimes like with Kuyt things move quickly but there will be a time and a place where we will have the opportunity to thank him.

This club have had great players.
      Players with a BIG heart . A loyal heart. Remember Sami? Remember them all.

Just don't mention Owen ,Torres or Macmanaman in the same breath.

Stevie.?

Sorry.
      Beyond comment or response
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2012 10:32:39 pm by eurored »
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #69: Jun 09, 2012 11:18:57 pm
      Rush.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #70: Jun 09, 2012 11:24:00 pm
      Ian Rush is winning this hands down. Just shows what a great striker he was.  :gt-happyup:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #71: Jun 09, 2012 11:26:02 pm
      I'm of the opinion that Fowler is the best finisher I've seen at the club, but Rushie is the best of the three you've mentioned.
      MartyMacca
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #72: Jun 10, 2012 09:17:27 am
      Rushie hands down
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #73: Jun 10, 2012 12:39:01 pm
      Rush, Owen and Fowler.

Owen did it at international level and won the Ballon D'or!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #74: Jun 10, 2012 12:54:53 pm
      Rush, Owen and Fowler.

Owen did it at international level and won the Ballon D'or!

He certainly did. While he was with us he was one of the top strikers in europe. We had his best years and I will always respect what he did for us.

Rushie was unfortunate really in not playing in a good wales team. Robbie was unfortunate too in that when he should have been playing for England the press and the cockney manager of those times, Venables or Hoddle were obsessed with Shearer and Sheringham and even Ferdinand and never bothered much with Robbie. There loss though!

This is why I hate england, why I dont watch england and why I dont watch international football. I have not watched one second of the euro's yet and have no intention of doing so. I hope our lads do well....and come back free from injury.

Roll on next season now for me..
      ste1986
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #75: Jun 10, 2012 01:29:39 pm
      I'm of the opinion that Fowler is the best finisher I've seen at the club, but Rushie is the best of the three you've mentioned.

Fowler was the most natural
      Owen the best physically
      and rush the hardest worker and best goal poacher
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #76: Jun 10, 2012 01:46:29 pm
      god for me, can't believe he didn't get the england career he deserved tbh
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #77: Jun 10, 2012 01:49:58 pm
      Fowler was the most natural
      Owen the best physically
      and rush the hardest worker and best goal poacher

As much as i liked Owen I would not say he was the best physically. Rushie was a lean, mean super fit athlete and didn't suffer many injuries. Sadly for Michael he suffered alot with muscle injuries, mostly to his hamstrings, but also thigh injuries and back injuries. This was down to him being overused too early in his career. Too often he played when he wasn't fit and had to play through the pain barrier and in the end he got the injury at leeds which was a serious injury and his hamstring was never the same after that and he lost that touch of pace.

Robbie also suffered with injury...hip problems..allsorts really and this deprived us from seeing him go onto to be even better than he was in his early years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #78: Jun 10, 2012 02:37:13 pm
      Rush. No question. No hesitation. Best striker of all time.

As redkenny once said, 'I used to think his name was Ian Rushgoal'.

And no-one has quite tormented those in blue like Ian Rush did!

The sight of that big nose and muzzy most have sent a cold shiver down their shoulders.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #79: Jun 10, 2012 09:19:14 pm
      Added Poll.

Ian Rush wins this hands down for me, and the reason?

He made it look so effortless, a sign of a great player.

Robbie was a close second though, an awesome goalscorer.

Owen - way down the list.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #80: Jun 10, 2012 09:55:38 pm
      Rush obviously!! FFS it shouldn't be up for discussion never mind a poxy vote!!
      BC231979
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #81: Jun 10, 2012 10:24:23 pm
      Rush

Ian Ian Rush

Legend

The assassin

The No.9
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #82: Jun 17, 2012 02:50:50 pm
      Two horse race there and one hell of a decision................ ....................I'll go for Rush.................... .........nah Fowler.................. ..tough one this.

It's a real head scractcher............bu t.........it's Rushie, by a nose for me..... ;D
      ChaChaMooMoo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      • NEVER BUY THE S*N. Justice for the 96 souls.
      Reply #83: Jun 17, 2012 02:56:19 pm
      For those of you who said Owen, I am going to sniff you out.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #84: Jun 17, 2012 03:55:32 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #85: Jun 17, 2012 05:01:04 pm

He hit's the ball......He scores a goal

Ian Ian Rush!!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #86: Jun 21, 2012 11:20:52 pm
      Didn't get to watch any Ian Rush or hardly any Robbie Fowler in his pomp, and the little c**t Owen was the reason I became a Liverpool fan in 1998, but Fowler seemed capable of anything at any time, whereas Rush seemed like the perfect striker for arguably Liverpool's best ever team. Tough to pick, so I won't :P
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #87: Jun 22, 2012 01:01:15 pm
      FOWLER for me...absolutely loved the guy...............and still do now :)
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #88: Jun 22, 2012 01:45:46 pm
      Michael Who?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #89: Jun 22, 2012 05:29:14 pm
       Ian Rush despite his goal scoring was also considered our best defender as he was log a dog with a bone chasing down defenders he never gave them time on the ball.Broke my heart when he went to Juve you know the place that was like playing in a foreign country. ;D

Quick Reply