Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

Read 39649 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)
      Reply #253: Aug 30, 2012 11:12:24 pm
      It's called rebuilding on a budget George but you seem to naturally put the most negative spin you can find on it. You can't simply ship out Maxi/Kuyt/Adam/Spearing/Carroll/Bellers for £10m and rebuild the side, it's tiring seeing Brendan putting a plan into place and have to be faced with such negative posting on such a consistent basis.

Basically Rodgers had no choice with Kuyt as it was in his contract, Maxi most would agree was past his best and wanted to leave anyway. Adam isn't good enough, Spearing the same and Carroll most argued to get him out. Bellers was on a compassionate basis so we did the right thing there too. On a budget of £35m we've brought in Borini who is looking encouraging, Allen who is looking world class, Sahin on loan who most are excited about and a few budget signings with what appears to be Dempsey and possibly Sturridge on loan tomorrow. Honestly the boss has done well and most decisions he's made the vast majority of people have been calling for, you cannot rebuild a side from a shocking transfer window in just 1 give the man a chance and perhaps look at things with perspective rather than this relentless negativity.

Sorry but im not in favour of certain desicions and choice that have been made over the summer that have ended up with us having a smaller weaker squad and have applied a few temporary fixes.

Letting Carroll and Bellamy go where both very wrong choices IMO. Getting Allen was a great deal. Borini will be a replacement for Kuyt. Sahin is a great player but next summer he will need replaced - same if we get Sturridge.

Sorry but I'm not encouraged both on or off the pitch and I'm not encouraged by the manager.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #254: Aug 30, 2012 11:14:49 pm
      Sorry but im not in favour of certain desicions and choice that have been made over the summer that have ended up with us having a smaller weaker squad and have applied a few temporary fixes.

Letting Carroll and Bellamy go where both very wrong choices IMO. Getting Allen was a great deal. Borini will be a replacement for Kuyt. Sahin is a great player but next summer he will need replaced - same if we get Sturridge.

Sorry but I'm not encouraged both on or off the pitch and I'm not encouraged by the manager.

How is letting Craig go home when he so desperately wanted to be with his family and back home after what happened to his friend last year a "very wrong choice".
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #255: Aug 30, 2012 11:17:00 pm
      How is letting Craig go home when he so desperately wanted to be with his family and back home after what happened to his friend last year a "very wrong choice".

Because he was an asset to our team and we should have come to some arrangement to keep him playing - we gave both him and Maxi away for nothing.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #256: Aug 30, 2012 11:19:13 pm
      Good player, i rate him but not as our new number 9. We need a goalscorer.

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #257: Aug 30, 2012 11:20:43 pm
      Because he was an asset to our team and we should have come to some arrangement to keep him playing - we gave both him and Maxi away for nothing.

To be fair, we got Bellamy for nothing, so we didn't lose out on fees anywhere.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #258: Aug 30, 2012 11:22:27 pm

But if Sahin and Sturridge improve our standing and we get 5th place lets say, isn't that a job well done and maybe attract better players next season, plus what we'll have saved in wages to buy better players too.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #259: Aug 30, 2012 11:24:54 pm

Your a piece of work I will give you that.

Both examples are of LFC players that were reaching the end of their careers and wanted to go back to their original clubs to finish where they started  Craig (Cardiff) and Maxi (Old Boys).

A proper club would thank them for their services and for wearing the shirt proud, which is exactly what we did.

They are human beings at the end of their careers that want to finish back where they live, they are not assets.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #260: Aug 30, 2012 11:24:56 pm

I agree with you in the fact he was an asset to our team George but I'm extremely proud that we let him go on his terms considering the circumstances and the reasons behind his decision and that's one where we'll have to agree to disagree.

With respect your opinion on the manager I also completely disagree with you, because I personally think Brendan Rodgers is destined to do great things here, so many decisions I personally agree with he's doing but not just because I'm getting my own way so to speak but the way he does it, the manner in which he presents it and the entire demeanour of the man is just so right that I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this one. There are seeds that he's already planted that I can see, and by no means am I any better than you so surely you can see that our football is changing to a brand that we all want to see. Yes the pieces aren't all in place but he's only had a couple of months, give this man a couple of years and I hand on heart believe we'll be back in contention for the league title.

I personally believe that given time Brendan will take us back to greatness
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #261: Aug 30, 2012 11:32:34 pm
      Your a piece of work I will give you that.

Both examples are of LFC players that were reaching the end of their careers and wanted to go back to their original clubs to finish where they started  Craig (Cardiff) and Maxi (Old Boys).

A proper club would thank them for their services and for wearing the shirt proud, which is exactly what we did.

They are human beings at the end of their careers that want to finish back where they live, they are not assets.

Asset to the team not assets !! Try and understand the difference.

There is a time and a place for sentiment in football. We weren't and aren't in the position "footballing wise" to give away players like Bellamy because the owners would give the funds to replace him.

We are weaker for losing those players.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #262: Aug 30, 2012 11:35:21 pm
      I agree with you in the fact he was an asset to our team George but I'm extremely proud that we let him go on his terms considering the circumstances and the reasons behind his decision and that's one where we'll have to agree to disagree.

With respect your opinion on the manager I also completely disagree with you, because I personally think Brendan Rodgers is destined to do great things here, so many decisions I personally agree with he's doing but not just because I'm getting my own way so to speak but the way he does it, the manner in which he presents it and the entire demeanour of the man is just so right that I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this one. There are seeds that he's already planted that I can see, and by no means am I any better than you so surely you can see that our football is changing to a brand that we all want to see. Yes the pieces aren't all in place but he's only had a couple of months, give this man a couple of years and I hand on heart believe we'll be back in contention for the league title.

I personally believe that given time Brendan will take us back to greatness

I'm sorry but I can't see this greatness he is destined for - not yet. I have read people talking about him going on to be our greatest ever ?!? Based on what exactly ?! It can't be his track record and it can't be our performances on the pitch ?!?

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #263: Aug 30, 2012 11:42:07 pm
      I'm sorry but I can't see this greatness he is destined for - not yet. I have read people talking about him going on to be our greatest ever ?!? Based on what exactly ?! It can't be his track record and it can't be our performances on the pitch ?!?

Still a case of wait and see, but the overly optimistic are just as bad as the pessimistic fellows.  All I've seen so far is a work in progress, with positives and negatives and a sh*t ton of unrealistic expectations from both ends of the spectrum.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #264: Aug 31, 2012 12:03:32 am
      I would say it would depend on how the squads lined up and the football being played.

Carroll sitting on our bench for the next 9 months is not going to score, like he did at Newcastle, I think the way Sturridge plays might see him on the pitch quite a bit more than Andy would have seen.

We will see what happens.

I'm not arguing that Carroll would score more from the bench than Sturridge would on the pitch. I'm saying I think Carroll is a better player, because you're original comment pointed out that he scored more than Carroll last season. So I pointed out that if you think stats prove him to be better, then just look at his stats from the last 3 seasons in which he pisses on Sturridge.

Sometime I wonder why I even come on here, it seems like some people just come on here to start arguments. And it's not debates, it's petty arguments over petty things.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #265: Aug 31, 2012 12:04:35 am
      Still a case of wait and see, but the overly optimistic are just as bad as the pessimistic fellows.  All I've seen so far is a work in progress, with positives and negatives and a sh*t ton of unrealistic expectations from both ends of the spectrum.

While you sit there all comfy on your fence.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #266: Aug 31, 2012 12:05:40 am
      I'm not arguing that Carroll would score more from the bench than Sturridge would on the pitch. I'm saying I think Carroll is a better player, because you're original comment pointed out that he scored more than Carroll last season. S

My point was that though Carroll may be a better player part of that depends on how he is played and what the players around him do, hence the 15 league goals for Newcastle in 6 months and nowhere even close to that here after 18.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #267: Aug 31, 2012 12:11:29 am
      Sturridge is quality, would be a great signing.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #268: Aug 31, 2012 04:39:20 am
      QUALITY is a relative thing. By that I mean that while Carroll would be considered a QUALITY player in a team like Stoke who plays many aerial balls in the box, he is not valued in a BR system where possession and speed are key. In a BR system, a player like Sturridge offers a lot more QUALITY than Carroll.
      That said, I prefer Walcott to Sturridge and based on rumours it seems that BR does too. I reckon that BR will move for Sturridge if he fails to attract Walcott.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #269: Aug 31, 2012 09:43:44 am
      Even if we are after Sturridge, I doubt if we can land him on time. Chelsea should sign Schurrle well before midnight and this bloke is in France for the Super Cup game vs Atletico

Look for other alternatives, may be?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #270: Aug 31, 2012 09:44:34 am
      bbc news

Liverpool Make Sturridge Loan Bid

Liverpool have made an offer to take Daniel Sturridge on loan from Chelsea.
      Negotiations began between the clubs on Thursday night, just hours after the loan of Andy Carroll was agreed with West Ham.
      Chelsea are understood to be open to allowing the 22-year old England player to leave on loan with Tottenham also interested.
      Liverpoool's Charlie Adam is expected to join Stoke for £5m on Friday having undergone a medical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19418465

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #271: Aug 31, 2012 09:46:55 am
      bbc news

Liverpool Make Sturridge Loan Bid

Liverpool have made an offer to take Daniel Sturridge on loan from Chelsea.
      Negotiations began between the clubson Thursday night, just hours after the loan of Andy Carroll was agreed with West Ham.
      Chelsea are understood to be open to allowing the 22-year old England player to leave on loan with Tottenham also interested.
      Liverpoool's Charlie Adam is expected to join Stoke for £5m on Friday having undergone a medical.

You knew the Spurs needed to get involved.   :o
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #272: Aug 31, 2012 09:47:54 am

You knew the Spurs needed to get involved.   :o
      Shitehawks.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #273: Aug 31, 2012 09:54:13 am
      Some paper talk of the loan being dependent on Chelsea's bid to sign Bayer Leverkuson's 20-year old forward Andre Schurrle.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #274: Aug 31, 2012 10:08:08 am
      Why would he want to play under AVB again? F**k off Spurs
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #275: Aug 31, 2012 10:10:53 am