Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys)

Read 2778 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys)
      Jul 12, 2012 03:56:18 pm
      Newell's claim Rodriguez deal

Maxi Rodriguez could be poised to make his Liverpool exit after Newell's Old Boys claimed a deal is in place to re-sign the winger.

The Argentina international started his career with his hometown club before making the switch to Europe with Espanyol in 2002.

Rodriguez came to Anfield via Atletico Madrid, where he had spent five years following his arrival from Catalonia in 2005, but the 31-year-old has been restricted to a bit-part role during his three seasons on Merseyside to date.

His time in the Premier League would appear to be coming to an end following confirmation from the Rosario club's secretary Pablo Morosano that they have reached an agreement with Rodriguez to bring him back to his homeland during the current transfer window.

However, the Primera Division outfit stopped short of announcing the deal as they are waiting on the Reds to make the news official.
       "We are waiting for official news about the end of Maxi's link [with Liverpool]. There is ongoing contact and we have a contract agreed with him," Morosano told Ole.
       "But as long as his exit from Liverpool has not been settled, we cannot announce it."
      http://www.football411.com/story/0,22162,14287_7891505,00.html

well I expected Maxi  would leave last summer, but he always was a loyal player to LIVERPOOL
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2012 06:35:58 pm by Reslivo »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Re: Maxi rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys)
      Reply #1: Jul 12, 2012 04:03:24 pm
      I'd imagine we will not be getting a transfer fee on this deal.  Probably a clean break by cancelling his contract.  He is likely on fairly high wages as he was a free transfer a few seasons back.  Shame as I think Maxi would fit well into Rodgers' system. 

Good luck Maxi!!  YNWA
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Jul 12, 2012 04:09:24 pm
      This is a shame as I think his stlye of play is well suited to BR so couldve been a useful squad player - but not surprised at all.

another slight negative is that Luis states his best 2 friends at the club are Maxi and Coates but I'm sure that doesn't really matter - especially when we sign Ramirez and Cavani  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: Jul 12, 2012 05:18:26 pm
      Hope it isn't true because he always has a goal in him.

I wouldn't begrudge him the move though he's always been a top class professional in my opinion and I wish him all the success in the world with his dream move.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys)
      Reply #4: Jul 12, 2012 07:33:48 pm
      This is a funny one for me. I thought at the end of last season he was going to go anyway. Then I thought he'd be a perfect with with how Rodgers likes to play and would be staying now this out of the blue.

Id like to se him play in Rodgers formation but if he goes not a huge blow
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: Jul 12, 2012 09:02:58 pm
      Wasn't this more or less a done deal from the beginning of last /end of previous season anyhow or did I miss something?  :confused-smiley-013:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #6: Jul 12, 2012 11:27:20 pm
      Thought so too BBB but it seems BR has other ideas:

Rodgers: ”I have known about Maxi for a long time. He is experienced, a very good player and he will understand 120 per cent about the way I want us to play.”

“I would like him to stay, but sometimes there are issues that surround that and I understand that – which is why I am speaking to him now.

“But I would love to have him here, I think he is a very good player. Whether it was starting or coming off the bench, he would be very good for our squad, because he understands what we want.”

“I have had a couple of real good conversations with him. I know his thoughts and how he is thinking.

“It was a difficult season for him and he probably felt he should have played a lot more. We will hopefully see where he is at over the next couple of weeks and find a solution.”

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #7: Jul 12, 2012 11:27:33 pm
      Don't go Maxi! Rodgers desperate to persuade Rodriguez to stay and help with his Liverpool revolution

Brendan Rodgers will make one final attempt to persuade Maxi Rodriguez to stay at Liverpool.

The Argentine is keen to move back to his native country, and his first club Newell's Old Boys have been working hard to bring him home.

But Rodgers believes the veteran midfielder can play an important role in the transformation he hopes to undertake at Anfield, because of his knowledge playing a similar style for much of his career with Argentina and Atletico Madrid.

The winger still has 12 months left on his contract, but the new boss has made clear he will not stand in the way of any player who wants to leave before his regime gets into full swing.

Maxi was told last season he could go when Kenny Dalglish was manager, with the club deciding his massive wages weren't warranted for a player who performed just a bit part role.

Rodgers though, revealed he will try to change the 31-year-old's mind, because the South American could perform such a big job for him over the coming months.

"I have known about Maxi for a long time. He is experienced, a very good player and he will understand 120 per cent about the way I want us to play," he explained.

"I would like him to stay, but sometimes there are issues that surround that and I understand that - which is why I am speaking to him now.

"But I would love to have him here, I think he is a very good player. Whether it was starting or coming off the bench, he would be very good for our squad, because he understands what we want."

Rodgers though, may be too late to persuade Maxi to stay, with the international winger desperately unhappy last season after failing to hold down a first team place, despite looking Liverpool's most likely source of goals.

The new manager understands that, and he admitted: "He doesn't speak the language, it has been difficult for his family, so if a player like him wanted to leave, it would not be because of the club.

"I have had a couple of real good conversations with him. I know his thoughts and how he is thinking.

"It was a difficult season for him and he probably felt he should have played a lot more. We will hopefully see where he is at over the next couple of weeks and find a solution."

Rodgers see his forward line comprised of industrious, quick and intelligent players who can score goals, and he would love Maxi to be part of it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-desperate-1141162
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 12, 2012 11:35:50 pm
      I hope Rodgers convinces him to stay.  He very much suits how BR wants to play and he should be given some significant playing time as a result.  If he does decide to depart can't do anything but wish him all the best as he's been a true professional during his time here.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #9: Jul 13, 2012 03:24:53 pm
      Hope he stays.  He could play in a number of different positions (RF, LF, CAM) in Rodgers system and always seems to pop up in the right place at the right time.  Hopefully Rodgers can convince him and Bellers to stick around for one more season.  That will allow BR to focus on strengthening other areas this summer and then replacing these two next summer. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Jul 13, 2012 05:51:05 pm
      Probably nothing, but the story about Brendan wanting Maxi to stay has vanished off the official homepage. In fact, I can't find it actually ???

It's probably just an accidental deletion. Unless you're the conspiracy-theory type ;D

The famous 404: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-keen-to-keep-maxi
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 13, 2012 06:00:49 pm
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Jul 13, 2012 06:03:02 pm
      He's left the club.

Shame. Wish we had him another season.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #13: Jul 13, 2012 06:04:17 pm
      I'll miss him, but he wanted to go back home and finish his career there.

All the best, Maxi, and thanks for everything.  :gt-happyup:
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #14: Jul 13, 2012 06:04:34 pm
      Thanks for everything Maxi. You gave us a lot as a player and i wish you all the best. He could always score a goal and i felt should have played more games last season.

No big surprise, and it looks like we released him on a free, which is poor from our end. Still capable to give a lot.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #15: Jul 13, 2012 06:07:42 pm
      Bolton vs Liverpool: Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez Runs Down The..

One of my favorite Kop songs. Best of luck to Maxi. Will always run down the wing for me!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #16: Jul 13, 2012 06:10:41 pm
      Told you all he was leaving this summer!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #17: Jul 13, 2012 06:12:59 pm
      Maxi: An open letter to fans
      Dear Reds, I am leaving Liverpool FC today.

Before signing for LFC, I just saw the club as one of the greatest institutions in football. After my time here I can confirm that this is not just a great club but also a great family.

I have tried to give everything every day that I was wearing the LFC crest. It has been a great honour to defend this shirt during two and a half years. I am returning home with a suitcase full of great memories, good friends within the team and also within this great family that works every day in the club. Thanks a lot for your support. You can NOT imagine what a great honour it was for me when the Kop sang, 'Maxi, Maxi Rodríguez runs down the wing for me da da da da dada...'

Hasta la vista.

Maxi

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/maxi-an-open-letter-to-fans

Class. Act.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #18: Jul 13, 2012 06:19:10 pm
      Cheers for everything Maxi, very underrated player.

Loved our end at Bolton when he stuck home the winner! One of the rare highlights from the Hodgson days.

Looks like we're in for a squad player now surely, considering Maxi and Kuyt have left.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #19: Jul 13, 2012 06:19:14 pm
      Maxi: An open letter to fans
      Dear Reds, I am leaving Liverpool FC today.

Before signing for LFC, I just saw the club as one of the greatest institutions in football. After my time here I can confirm that this is not just a great club but also a great family.

I have tried to give everything every day that I was wearing the LFC crest. It has been a great honour to defend this shirt during two and a half years. I am returning home with a suitcase full of great memories, good friends within the team and also within this great family that works every day in the club. Thanks a lot for your support. You can NOT imagine what a great honour it was for me when the Kop sang, 'Maxi, Maxi Rodríguez runs down the wing for me da da da da dada...'

Hasta la vista.

Maxi

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/maxi-an-open-letter-to-fans

Class. Act.

Indeed, understood what it meant to pull on the shirt. He will be missed.

Best of luck Maxi.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Jul 13, 2012 06:20:32 pm
      What a wonderful letter.

Maxi, thanks for everything!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #21: Jul 13, 2012 06:21:02 pm
      Maxi Rodríguez ‏@MR11ok
      Thank you very much to the people of Liverpool for much love
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #22: Jul 13, 2012 06:21:31 pm
      Thank you Maxi, one of the few this year that actually understood what that bird really stands for.

Discussion can be continued here:
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,26875.0.html

Thread locked.

Quick Reply