Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The best non-LFC players you ever saw in the stadium

Read 1050 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      The best non-LFC players you ever saw in the stadium
      Jun 28, 2012 07:35:34 pm
      Not sure if there is a thread about this already, but I was wondering who were the best players everyone ever watched in a football stadium. I decided to put the "non-LFC" part thinking most people would say "Gerrard" if I didn't, and that would be boring ;D

Well, I've had the luck of seeing some all time greats such as Romário, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Ronaldinho Gaúcho and Kaká.

Romário was currently World Player of the Year when he signed for Flamengo in 1995, so differently to most players, he came back home in his peak. My first time at the Maracanã was only in 1998 but Romário was still a great goalscorer then.

I only saw Ronaldo and Ronaldinho when they came back to Brazil though, and they were not even close to the great players they once were. Ronaldo was playing for Corinthians against Flamengo in the Libertadores so I was grateful for the fact that he was old, fat and rubbish. Ronaldinho signed for Flamengo last year and, despite moments of brilliance, in general he was just a lazy annoying tw*t who never justified his wages.

Kaká was the best player in the world when I saw him play for Brazil at the Maracanã - I remember the crowd singing "world's best" nearly the whole 2nd half.

Julio Cesar is most definitely the best goalkeeper in Flamengo's history and I used to watch him every week at the Maracanã. He was unlucky to play for some of Flamengo's worst teams ever but he single handedly kept the club in the 1st division at times. I get emotional talking about this guy!

Dejan Petkovic might not be a famous name in Europe, despite being Serbian, but he's a total legend in Brazil and one of the most classy number 10 I ever saw. Such a pleasure to watch this guy. I put him up there among the very best.

Adriano is a weird guy with serious psychological problems but when he's up for it, he's a beastly number 9. I saw him win games almost by himself at times. Love the guy despite everything else.

As for the games I watched in Europe, Liverpool players aside, I had the pleasure of watching one of my favorite players, Clarence Seedorf, playing for AC Milan. Andrea Pirlo came late in this game (against a Sampdoria side that still had Cassano and Pazzini) but I was also happy to watch him live. Both are genius of their positions IMO.

I went to LFC vs Arsenal so I also saw a very on form Robin Van Persie score twice as I'm certain everyone here remember. I also watched him for Holland, alongside Robben, Sneijder etc, but I wouldn't put those Dutch guys in the same category of the players in bold.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: The best non-LFC players you ever saw in the stadium
      Reply #1: Jun 28, 2012 07:49:41 pm
      You mean live at the stadium?

Well .... none for me I guess as I've only watched Liverpool games and then Chelsea vs Malaysia, United vs Malaysia and Arsenal vs Malaysia.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Jun 28, 2012 09:33:34 pm
      In person? I guess David Beckham playing for the Galaxy. He's a tw*t, but he can pass the sh*t out of the ball. Magic right foot.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #3: Jun 29, 2012 01:17:07 am
      Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pirlo, Kaka, Zola, Henry, Viera, Del Piero, Cannavaro, Buffon, Batistuta, Schmiechel, Cantona
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Jun 29, 2012 02:30:30 am
      Didier Drogba putting us out of the UEFA Cup for Marsaille. We never really did learn how to stop the c**t!

unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #5: Jun 29, 2012 03:35:06 am
      David Villa, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique, Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Overmars, Adams (seen him score!), Schmeichel (playing for Man City made a ridiculous save to deny Diouf), Shearer, C.Ronaldo, Les Ferdinand (met the bloke, lovely fellow), Owen  :f_tongueincheek:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Jun 29, 2012 09:50:14 am
       I will throw a  few goalies in to the mix,Sam Bartram Charlton,Bert Trautman Man City and the great Gordon Banks when he played for Leicester always played a blinder when they played us.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 29, 2012 10:09:28 am
      Ronaldo was phenomenal. Saw Eto'o have a brilliant game at the Bernabeu too. Overall Zidane is the best though, you don't realize just how good he is until you watch him live.
      ChaChaMooMoo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      • NEVER BUY THE S*N. Justice for the 96 souls.
      Reply #8: Jun 29, 2012 12:35:53 pm
      Saw Hyypia in this Pub when he was still a player for Leverkusen.

Signed autographs, clicked photographs and was watching the Munich game against Schalke.

Quick Reply