Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Andy Carroll (Various clubs)

Read 122141 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,630 posts | 7146 
      Re: Andy Carroll (Various clubs)
      Reply #1518: Aug 31, 2012 09:15:16 am
      They sanctioned it on football mens say so, they signed the cheques, the boards job as a great man once said.  Daglish said he had final say on transfers, it doesn't tarnish the great man's legacy, to say he made mistakes, in fact I think trying to water them down by spreading the blame tarnishes him more.
      Bollocks ,Kenny would have given a nod to the name not to the contract details that lies firmly with Comoli ,Ayres and the owners.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1519: Aug 31, 2012 09:17:04 am
      They sanctioned it on football mens say so, they signed the cheques, the boards job as a great man once said.  Daglish said he had final say on transfers, it doesn't tarnish the great man's legacy, to say he made mistakes, in fact I think trying to water them down by spreading the blame tarnishes him more.

Nobody thinks less of Kenny but there are a few on this board (like you say) that want to shift every last ounce of blame for last season on everybody but Kenny.

He got some transfers wrong, it happens; and he was not given the time (more windows) to correct them. Over the course of a manager tenure there will be hits and misses but in the end they probably equal each other out. Kenny was unfortunate that last summer he had a lot of misses but that does not diminish the man himself.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1520: Aug 31, 2012 09:19:33 am
      Bollocks ,Kenny would have given a nod to the name not to the contract details that lies firmly with Comoli ,Ayres and the owners.

I think Kenny would have and indeed should have piped up if he thought we were overpaying.  Saying Kenny made mistakes isn't treason, not a man that has lived that hasn't made them.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1521: Aug 31, 2012 09:20:37 am
      Yes I am sure having just robbed chelsea for £50 million signing a cheque for £35million must have been difficult.
      Kenny needed a striker on deadline day Carrol was put there as the only option what was he going to do.

Tell the Owners that Andy Carroll was not worth 35m, and that for that money a lot more could be done in the summer and that he would make due with what he had.

You make it sound like the owners put a gun to his head to buy buy buy.

If he would of said "wait now is not the time, I can do a lot more with that money this summer when we have time to do it right" I seriously doubt they would have balked at the suggestion.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1522: Aug 31, 2012 09:21:41 am

Nobody thinks less of Kenny but there are a few on this board (like you say) that want to shift every last ounce of blame for last season on everybody but Kenny.

He got some transfers wrong, it happens; and he was not given the time (more windows) to correct them. Over the course of a manager tenure there will be hits and misses but in the end they probably equal each other out. Kenny was unfortunate that last summer he had a lot of misses but that does not diminish the man himself.

Got no problem with that, he deserved a chance to rectify his mistakes and getting rid is a mistake you can lay at the board's feet. + for you.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,630 posts | 7146 
      Reply #1523: Aug 31, 2012 09:22:34 am
      I think Kenny would have and indeed should have piped up if he thought we were overpaying.  Saying Kenny made mistakes isn't treason, not a man that has lived that hasn't made them.
      Your forgetting Kenny is a Scot noway would he over pay for even an icecream.
      He made it clear he would have the final say in players being recruited Ayres and Comolli did the deals after that Carrol was a dealine day deal after losing Torres to Chelsea for £50mil.
      If I recall at the time people were saying Torres for Suarez and Carrol seems a very good deal.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1524: Aug 31, 2012 09:24:48 am
      He made it clear he would have the final say in players being recruited Ayres and Comolli did the deals after that Carrol was a dealine day deal after losing Torres to Chelsea for £50mil.
      If I recall at the time people were saying Torres for Suarez and Carrol seems a very good deal.

OK Walton you win, Kenny did everything right, it was all done behind his back and he holds no responsibility for anything except taking us to Wembley.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1525: Aug 31, 2012 09:29:49 am

I remember a lot saying the Carroll part wasn't as well.

In his first stint, Kenny broke the British transfer record a few times, now whilst those fees are miniscule in comparison to todays, it shows he was willing to spend. 

He made mistakes, as is human, so did the board, in getting rid.  I'd be shocked if Kenny wasn't aware of the fees and more shocked if he didn't say that's too much, if he believed it. 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1526: Aug 31, 2012 09:37:45 am
      Im not trying to absolve Kenny of any blame in terms of transfers but I still stand to this day that he had very little to do with that January market... That includes Torres, Carroll and Suarez..

The summer one is different.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 09:50:29 am by Paisleydalglish »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1527: Aug 31, 2012 09:39:33 am
      I remember a lot saying the Carroll part wasn't as well.

In his first stint, Kenny broke the British transfer record a few times, now whilst those fees are miniscule in comparison to todays, it shows he was willing to spend. 

He made mistakes, as is human, so did the board, in getting rid.  I'd be shocked if Kenny wasn't aware of the fees and more shocked if he didn't say that's too much, if he believed it. 

One thing we need to remember where Carroll's situation was different from say a Downing or Adam is that at the time Kenny was not even on a real contract. For all he knew come May he was out of a job, so perhaps he did not pay much attention or care how much was paid.

In any sport in the world managers are tied at the hip to the big money signings they bring in. I think it would do Kenny an injustice to say that during his tenure he walked around clueless to how his budget was spent (no manager operates like that).

I would agree with PD on that January window, and all that transpired.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1528: Aug 31, 2012 09:41:21 am

I think it would do Kenny an injustice to say that during his tenure he walked around clueless to how his budget was spent (no manager operates like that).

Kind of what I'm saying, that would tarnish his image more than admitting he made mistakes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #1529: Aug 31, 2012 09:47:31 am
      If Kenny & Commolli were mugs for pay such a high price for Carroll then surely Rodgers,FSG are mugs for letting this lad a £35 million pound player go out on a season long loan on top of being taken for mugs on th Aquilani deal too.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1530: Aug 31, 2012 09:49:20 am
      If Kenny & Commolli were mugs for pay such a high price for Carroll then surely Rodgers,FSG are mugs for letting this lad a £35 million pound player go out on a season long loan on top of being taken for mugs on th Aquilani deal too.

Absolutely, no doubt about it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1531: Aug 31, 2012 10:16:40 am
      I'd be shocked if Kenny wasn't aware of the fees and more shocked if he didn't say that's too much, if he believed it.

For sure mate. Similarly.. I'd be shocked if John Henry & Co weren't made aware of the fees by their DoF and more shocked if they didn't say that's too much if they thought that. Then again, like you say, they were probably relying on their DoF knowing what he was doing because they definitely didn't. In fact they must have known for... didn't John H boast that they were going to charge Chelsea + £15m, on whatever Carroll cost, for Torres? (or did I imagine that? I maybe did. you know.)

If we are to believe the owners they sacked Kenny for footballing reasons and Comolli because they realised they'd fu**ed up. Kenny was/is a noble man and he shared responsibility for Comolli's errors... others didn't.

Football has been a steep learning curve for John Henry and the lads; one that still hasn't been mastered (yet) but I'm sure they'll get there.

Kenny was adamant that the squad (this season) only needed a few tweaks - something that was echoed by Clarke and, more importantly, Brendan. So maybe things weren't just as bad as they first seem.

Of all the big money transfer flops, (and that's really only what you're talking about) so far, only Carroll has been moved on and that's because of 'footballing reasons' in that he doesn't fit our 'new' style.

I'll happily leave the business side of the club to the businessmen (and the fans of business) but if their decisions impact on football (which after all, is why we follow Liverpool F.C.) we can't just pretend they don't.

If we can't bring ourselves to absolve Kenny from blame for failure to succeed then we sure as sh*t can't absolve our owners either. End of.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 10:34:37 am by bad boy bubby »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #1532: Aug 31, 2012 10:19:50 am
      He won't be able to play against us anyway....
      Hope to Christ that's true, they always come back to ribbon our arses.

edit :- outstanding comment mouse and well worth the karma.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,379 posts | 8627 
      Reply #1533: Aug 31, 2012 10:41:06 am
      Hope to Christ that's true, they always come back to ribbon our arses.

If it's just a loan deal then Andy defo won't be allowed to play against us, prem rules, loaned players not allowed to play against club that loaned them out.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #1534: Aug 31, 2012 12:04:14 pm
      If it's just a loan deal then Andy defo won't be allowed to play against us, prem rules, loaned players not allowed to play against club that loaned them out.

There's a good possibility he'll bang this season... It wasn't that I thought he was "immense" in the last part of the season, I could just see the added skill set LFC gave him..

We just sharpened his tools, ironed out the sh*te then loaned him??..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4841 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1535: Aug 31, 2012 12:18:41 pm
      Dave beeston ‏@Davebeeston
      BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool bid 37m for West Ham striker Andy Carroll

Retweeted by Roy Henderson
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1536: Aug 31, 2012 12:20:01 pm
      hahah
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #1537: Aug 31, 2012 12:21:58 pm
      Dave beeston ‏@Davebeeston
      BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool bid 37m for West Ham striker Andy Carroll

Retweeted by Roy Henderson

Surely we'll be loaning him for £3m this season with an agreed fee of £37m in June?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1538: Aug 31, 2012 01:20:04 pm
      Im not trying to absolve Kenny of any blame in terms of transfers but I still stand to this day that he had very little to do with that January market... That includes Torres, Carroll and Suarez..

The summer one is different.

Would agree in terms of scouting, recruiting, etc. But I think he still had the final say.
      -------

As to the Carroll purchase being the fault of the owners - give me a F***ing break. Conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy! Comolli overspent, Kenny Ok'd. In the summer they share equal blame for both the fees paid and some of the players brought in.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1539: Aug 31, 2012 01:23:50 pm
      Would agree in terms of scouting, recruiting, etc. But I think he still had the final say.
      -------

As to the Carroll purchase being the fault of the owners - give me a f**king break. Conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy! Comolli overspent, Kenny Ok'd. In the summer they share equal blame for both the fees paid and some of the players brought in.

I read he attempted to keep Torres who said no, DC came to him and said what about Carroll? Kenny said can you get him?

Comolli did but over paid...

So yes I guess final say but wasn't given alternatives and Kenny said he was asked about him and Luis more out of curtesy...

And I didn't mention the owners did I? Unless I'm getting senile..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1540: Aug 31, 2012 01:26:03 pm

If we can't bring ourselves to absolve Kenny from blame for failure to succeed then we sure as sh*t can't absolve our owners either. End of.

I don't absolve any party, but worry when people do, especially based on a persons past with the club and not what he was doing in the present.

Praise where it's due, criticism too. 

Quick Reply