Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Choc Ice!

Read 11961 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Choc Ice!
      Reply #46: Jul 31, 2012 11:13:47 pm
       :lmao:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #47: Jul 31, 2012 11:15:19 pm
      Technicality, if a black person calls another black person by a slang term to describe a black person, can that be racist, as they are of the same race?

If so, if I (a white person) was to call Prince Charles (another white person) "Honky", would that be considered to be racist? As we are of the same race, Anglo-Saxon how could I racially insult him, without insulting myself.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honky

Just asking?

You see, I don't think in this case Choc Ice is racist, just name calling.
      (Still an 8 game ban though)

I'm not looking for an argument, just your views. Thanks
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #48: Jul 31, 2012 11:26:03 pm
      Technicality, if a black person calls another black person by a slang term to describe a black person, can that be racist, as they are of the same race?
      Good point but, if we allow black people to call each other black but punish white poeple for calling black people black, are we not descriminating against white people and creating a 'them and us' culture that anit-racism campaigns are supposed to be against?

I despise the whole concept of Positive Discrimination. It is just discrimination, plain and simple.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: Jul 31, 2012 11:35:52 pm
      I know where you're coming from RedPuppy and in truth you have a perfectly valid point, I'm just still very bitter over the Suarez affair.

As to whether you can racially abuse someone from your own ethnic group, I believe it can be argued that if the term is socially recognised as being racist and discriminatory it should not be defensible purely on the basis that it would be deemed as an insult to yourself. Exaggerating this to a point to emphasise it further if somebody black was found to be a member of the KKK their crimes would not be any less disgusting and racist than if it were a white man it perhaps only would be harder to comprehend.

This perhaps just demonstrates Ferdinand's absolute retarded nature that he would use such a term when it would be recognised as racist. In many ways it reflects the Suarez case because Ferdinand's defence is that in his language this is considered a term of insult rather than racist but in society as a whole and which he currently exists this would be considered racist and therefore should be tried and found guilty with that interpretation rather than the interpretation from his personal perspective otherwise they are surely discriminating against Suarez.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #50: Aug 01, 2012 06:40:17 pm
      I don't think it's racist. The expression does not put the black part as inferior to the white part, nor viceversa. It's refers to his "incoherent" behavior, which is not the one to be expected from a black person (?). You could call this racist, but then again I think it's not, as the behavior expected (loyalty or something like that) has it's roots in some kind of -supposed- shared social  experience or even some historical mumbo-jumbo, nothing "race" related in strict terms.

It's like you can be a good or a bad black person, but the sole fact of being black is not being put as a bad thing, so I don't quite get where the racism lies. I know it stills adscribes some characteristics to persons according to the color of their skin, but not so much as what being black means per se (in a biological way), but as what you socially owe to other black persons, cause, you know, you're black too. Which is dumb, yes, but not racist.

IMHO, many things that appear racist to "society" are not when carefully examined, but there's just so much paranoia that one might go to jail for prefering white marble to black marble.

On the other hand, I don't think the color of your skin has anything to do with whatever you say being racist or not. The fact that you insult yourself does not denies the fact that you're insulting someone else. Pretty much like suicide bombers.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #51: Aug 01, 2012 07:24:03 pm
      I'd have more respect for Ferdinand if he admitted he called Ashley an Uncle Tom.

Indeed Rodders. He knew what he was at but realised he'd crossed a line and quickly back-tracked with that 'it means fake' bullshit.

Choc-Ice is close enough (to Uncle Tom) without going the whole hog. I'd imagine Cole (and a sh*t-load of others) would see it as a racial slur; otherwise there would have been no kick up in the first instance.  :-\
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Aug 01, 2012 08:21:07 pm
      Rio will get an 8 match ban and Terry will walk away free, that's the Fa's justice. :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #53: Aug 02, 2012 11:59:10 am
      Rio will get an 8 match ban and Terry will walk away free, that's the Fa's justice. :D

Manchester Utd's Rio? ... tut tut Blud.  ;D

I suppose he could always just climb out a back window and run if they come looking him.  >:D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #54: Aug 02, 2012 06:26:22 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18847477

Rio Ferdinand denies FA charge of improper conduct

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand has contested a Football Association charge of improper conduct in relation to comments he posted on Twitter.
      The England defender earlier denied that he was being racist after responding to a tweet describing Chelsea's Ashley Cole as a "choc ice".
      He said a tweet he was sent about Cole was "classic". Lawyers for Cole said he would not be complaining.
      Ferdinand has now requested a personal hearing with the FA......

What does 'choc ice' mean?

John Amaechi
      Former NBA basketball player, psychologist and educator

"It is the idea that a black person is black only in skin colour but inside they are really white. It's a highly derogatory term. It's a dangerous term because it allows black boys especially but black people in general, to believe that there is a way of being black that is somehow distinct from being white. There are people that think if you don't wear a certain type of clothing or listen to a certain type of music you're not really black. It's a really dangerous thing. There are black boys who do less well in school because they believe by doing well there, they are acting white. To me, this is devastating for black boys and black people everywhere. It's a deeply offensive term with racial connotations."
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #55: Aug 02, 2012 08:47:45 pm
      So let me get this right, black people calling each other 'nigger' is not racist, but if a white man does it is.

But if a Black man calls another Black man 'Choc Ice' its dagerous and racist.

The mind boggles at the world we live in.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #56: Aug 02, 2012 09:07:42 pm
      So let me get this right, black people calling each other 'nigger' is not racist, but if a white man does it is.

But if a Black man calls another Black man 'Choc Ice' its dagerous and racist.

The mind boggles at the world we live in.

Nail on head.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      Reply #57: Aug 17, 2012 02:25:46 pm
      £45,000 fine, what is that? 2days pay?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18847477
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #58: Aug 17, 2012 03:14:48 pm
      So say a word in Spanish that means 'Black' = 8 match ban

Tweet the phrase 'Choc Ice' to another person of same colour = £45,000 fine

Actually caught on camera uttering the words 'Black b***ard' and 'Black c**t' = No fine, no match ban, nothing, nada.

The FA = Spineless cu*ts to the very end!
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #59: Aug 17, 2012 03:23:27 pm
      Totally disgusted by this and the medias reaction to it. Sky news seem to find it amusing , such a marked contrast to their reaction to Luis , which is still ongoing.
      The FA are incompetent fools and not fit for purpose , bunch of lying hypocrites every last one of them.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #60: Aug 17, 2012 10:55:34 pm
      Agreed. ^^^

Rio Ferdinand ‏@rio5ferdy
      Got fined 45k over a stupid comment. Would have got off if I'd hired John Terry's legal team. #fact
      Retweeted by Andy Heaton
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #61: Aug 17, 2012 11:12:29 pm
      So say a word in Spanish that means 'Black' = 8 match ban

Tweet the phrase 'Choc Ice' to another person of same colour = £45,000 fine

Actually caught on camera uttering the words 'Black b***ard' and 'Black c**t' = No fine, no match ban, nothing, nada.

The FA = Spineless cu*ts to the very end!
      The spineless cu*ts have boxed themselves into a corner, their position is completely untenable.
      Their inconsistency and hypocrisy is embarrassing.

Quick Reply