Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Can we read anything into BR's first teamsheet?

Read 2658 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Can we read anything into BR's first teamsheet?
      Jul 20, 2012 08:32:06 pm
      Pre season friendlies, particularly the first game, to me usually just means throwing on 11 fit players at the start and replacing themm at half time with another fit 11 with usually a bunch of young lads in the squad.

I think the game V Toronto might be slightly different. The squad over there is quite strong, though still some big names not there. The new manager with his new philosphy will quite possibly want to look at certain players and see if they fit his plans. Players like Cole and Aquilani back from Loan. Adam back from injury. Pacheco back in the squad and he must surely need to impress.

At the same time he might want to have a look at the some of the younger lads as well. Shelvey for example

Can we read anything into the gaffers first team selection with who he might and might not have a fancy for, for the season ahead? Or will it just be a case of get everyone a run and then see his teams for the Roma and Spurs games?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Can we read anything into BR's first teamsheet?
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2012 08:34:45 pm
      Think it will be the case of getting everyone a run Brian.

That being said when the entire squad is assembled the Spurs match and then the home match against the German team will probably start showing us what he is thinking.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2012 08:44:31 pm
      As much as I would love to have a better insight of the manager's plans, from past experience I would say the answer to this thread's question is NO. Pre-season means nothing and we end up seeing a totally different team when the season begins
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2012 08:48:24 pm
      As much as I would love to have a better insight of the manager's plans, from past experience I would say the answer to this thread's question is NO. Pre-season means nothing and we end up seeing a totally different team when the season begins

Yup, pretty much. It all means very little at this point.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2012 08:53:05 pm
      Yup, pretty much. It all means very little at this point.

Usually yes, but I just think with so many players with things to prove, especially as the manager himself admitted he will be looking to bring 3 more players in I wonder will he play 5 or 6 players with the mindset if they dont show well they probably wont be part of his plans
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2012 01:09:30 pm
      He said that nobody would have more than 45mins didn't he? I don't think we can take too much from today's side.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2012 02:08:49 pm
      He said that nobody would have more than 45mins didn't he? I don't think we can take too much from today's side.
      Yeah, I will be just to get the lads running around once again. We can take more from how he players play than who starts.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2012 03:30:40 pm
      Absolutely not. Against Valencia, one of our last preseason friendlies, Kenny started Carroll as the 9 with Aquilani as the 10. We all know what position Aqua played last year for Liverpool :laugh:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2012 04:11:15 pm
      Is it being shown live anywhere?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2012 04:23:06 pm
      Is it being shown live anywhere?

ESPN
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2012 04:53:06 pm
      I think there will be something to read into the friendly. Not so much what players he may lean toward or fancy but how we could be setting ourselves up for the coming season.

I think this is where we will see the style of play. I know we are all expecting a passing flowing game but Brendan has had time with the majority of the squad now, he has a fair idea of where we are at without looking too much at the obvious omissions. I think by now he has a idea of ether this current group can play his expansive style as coherently and fluidly as he wants or if he needs to tweak it to a slightly different shape of approach.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2012 04:54:55 pm
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #12: Jul 21, 2012 05:27:37 pm
      Not really, first game of two are always just giving everyone a run-out, maybe in the last game of the tour (not sure if its Roma or Spurs) we might see something closer to a proper XI and even the Europa League qualifiers I imagine we will field a relatively weak team, maybe the Leverkusen game might feature our 'best XI' in final preperations for the opening games in the league. Still doesn't mean that we get a good chance to see any plans Rodgers has for the team in action, although only at a much lower level.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #13: Jul 21, 2012 05:40:26 pm
      I think the simple answer is No.

It will be a training match to improve fitness.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: Jul 21, 2012 05:57:41 pm
      No, Brendan has already said that no player will play more than 45 minutes, so all about fitness and giving players a run out rather than looking for any significant early indicators.   
      Skuff
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 21, 2012 06:24:36 pm
      I don't think so tbh.. Even though there are a couple of first team players there, it's still pretty much mainly reserves and youngsters.. It's all about fitness at this stage..
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #16: Jul 21, 2012 06:26:27 pm
      I wouldn't say yes we can read something from his teamsheet.

Not in terms of players starting or coming from the bench, but at least the type of system he will play. I can't remember Rodgers saying that he will play a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 here, he just said that he will play a system to suit the club and also from his tactical understanding of the players here, so we should get at least some small indication of to how we will set up for the season. It will also be interesting to see if he sees the likes of Cole & Pacheco to be best suited in a forward role or a deep lying attacking midfielder role.

I can't remember the last time we had such a strong squad for the pre-season, usually we had the likes of Torres, Gerrard or other big names injured.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #17: Jul 21, 2012 07:01:01 pm
      We all remember Bruno Cheyrou "dazzling" everyone with his skills in his preseason game against Lazio!

Having said that, our friendly record in recent years has been quite shocking, losing games by 3,4,5 goals whereas other teams seem to actually play well together.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #18: Jul 21, 2012 07:42:52 pm
      Think everyone will be given a run out in the next few games, hopefully some will impress some won't and we will see were we go from there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Jul 21, 2012 08:20:17 pm
      Interesting.
      Two separate teams for each half.
      great chance for the youngsters.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #20: Jul 21, 2012 08:30:04 pm
      Want to see how Robinson has evolved most of all because Enrique really needs to be put under pressure to recreate his early form at lfc.

Quick Reply