Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Daniel Agger (Man City)

Read 91303 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Daniel Agger (Man City)
      Reply #1196: Aug 16, 2012 09:44:14 am
      Twitter rumours, so it will hit the media by dinner time and then we can all take it as gospel. ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1197: Aug 16, 2012 09:54:15 am
      IMO, your post does a fantastic job in justifying those "every players got his price" comments of late. "Sell to buy" has also been factored into our brains without question too.. How come there's a mandatory acceptance of this approach all of a sudden..?

I'll keep mentioning, "Sell to buy" and "every player has his price" were NOT popular terminologies a few months back..?

Good points well made Chico.

It's the age old ethical/moral question "Do the ends justify the means?".

"The means" ('sell to buy' & 'every player has a price') were previously seen as morally unacceptable and they, therefore; did not "justify the ends". That "morality", it would seem, goes out the window as people perceive "the ends" as having changed. So when push comes to shove (and for most on here); morality is based solely on the ends justifying the means.

In short; most people will set aside the things they, previously found 'moraly' objectionable if the outcome is deemed positive. It would seem that most folk on here believe that FSG's plans for the club are positive and therefore their actions are wholly acceptable.

Whether the (potential) sale of Agger would bring a positive outcome is a whole other debate. Personally I couldn't see that Brendan would see it as having any benefit to the club and said so from 'the off'.

------------------------

Waking up to an ethical debate on the Agger thread - whodda thunk it?  ;D

Ah F**k it... might as well go the whole hog and give a short English lesson while I'm here:

apologist [əˈpɒlədʒɪst] n: a person who offers a defence by argument.

Not exactly an insult... unless you are, in fact, an ignorant, fuckwit, who didn't actually know what it means. Be good y'all.  :angel:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1198: Aug 16, 2012 10:24:30 am
      Agger is in the last two years of his contract. Contracts are usually renewed once they reach 2 years, hardly just offering him a deal because of the interest shown...

... There is good F***ing reason why we renew contracts once they get down to two years mate.

Correct s@int.

This is something which I'd, wrongly, assumed all football fans knew but it does apply in this case. Danny signed a 5 year deal in May 2009; because he was under 28 years old when he signed it he is entitled to buy himself out after three years. In this case from May 2012.

So, whilst it's obvious (to us) that he doesn't want to buy himself out, the fact remains that offering a new deal makes sense on a business side (even if you can't buy into the footballing reasons behind doing so) and I can't see the accountants letting this one slip.  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1199: Aug 16, 2012 12:42:25 pm
      You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has goals. And those goals have to be guarded by men with talent. Who's gonna do it? You? You, John Henry? Agger has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Aquilani and you curse Daniel Agger. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Aquilani's transfer, while tragic, probably saved money. And Agger's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves goals...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want Agger defending that goal. You need Agger defending that goal.
      We use words like honor, club, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very success they provide, then questions the manner in which they provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football and defend a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1200: Aug 16, 2012 12:45:35 pm
      :laugh:
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1201: Aug 16, 2012 04:16:37 pm
      Rodgers talks Agger

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has stressed both he and defender Daniel Agger see the player remaining at the club. However, the future of Andy Carroll remains less favourable after the Northern Irishman admitted he would prefer to tinker with his preferred way of playing before using the England striker's obvious strengths in the air as a Plan B.
      Agger has two years remaining on his contract, but has been the subject of two serious enquiries from Premier League champions Manchester City. Despite Rodgers admitting a week ago that "every player has his price and we will see where it goes", he insists Agger is one he intends to keep.

The Liverpool boss said: "For me there has been no big change. The first point is we don't want to sell him. Secondly, I believe he will be a player who will thrive in this way of working, and thirdly, he doesn't want to leave, which is a great help as well. He is a top player and I want to keep him here.

"Over the last couple of months we have been able to sell the project and vision to a number of senior players. They are very happy to move forward with it and I would expect Daniel to be the same. He made that clear in the very first conversation we had that he wanted to be part of our revolution here in terms of moving forward, and he hasn't wavered from that in any single way whatsoever.
      "Other reported clubs have made bids for him, which is natural, because he is a top player. But for us nothing has changed: he doesn't want to go and we don't want to sell him."
       http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2189301/Daniel-Agger-does-want-leave-Liverpool--Brendan-Rodgers.html
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012 05:00:25 pm by crouchinho »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1202: Aug 16, 2012 04:18:19 pm
      Cheers for that George.

Should put it to bed then, for the most part.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1203: Aug 16, 2012 04:18:47 pm
      Rodgers talks Agger

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has stressed both he and defender Daniel Agger see the player remaining at the club. However, the future of Andy Carroll remains less favourable after the Northern Irishman admitted he would prefer to tinker with his preferred way of playing before using the England striker's obvious strengths in the air as a Plan B.
      Agger has two years remaining on his contract, but has been the subject of two serious enquiries from Premier League champions Manchester City. Despite Rodgers admitting a week ago that "every player has his price and we will see where it goes", he insists Agger is one he intends to keep.

The Liverpool boss said: "For me there has been no big change. The first point is we don't want to sell him. Secondly, I believe he will be a player who will thrive in this way of working, and thirdly, he doesn't want to leave, which is a great help as well. He is a top player and I want to keep him here.

"Over the last couple of months we have been able to sell the project and vision to a number of senior players. They are very happy to move forward with it and I would expect Daniel to be the same. He made that clear in the very first conversation we had that he wanted to be part of our revolution here in terms of moving forward, and he hasn't wavered from that in any single way whatsoever.
      "Other reported clubs have made bids for him, which is natural, because he is a top player. But for us nothing has changed: he doesn't want to go and we don't want to sell him."

Post a source, please.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3905 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1204: Aug 16, 2012 04:25:50 pm
      You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has goals. And those goals have to be guarded by men with talent. Who's gonna do it? You? You, John Henry? Agger has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Aquilani and you curse Daniel Agger. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Aquilani's transfer, while tragic, probably saved money. And Agger's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves goals...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want Agger defending that goal. You need Agger defending that goal.
      We use words like honor, club, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very success they provide, then questions the manner in which they provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football and defend a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Did you order the code red?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1206: Aug 16, 2012 04:38:06 pm
      Why does the url say 'does want to leave' when the story say 'doesn't want to leave'?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1207: Aug 16, 2012 04:39:02 pm
      Why does the url say 'does want to leave' when the story say 'doesn't want to leave'?

No idea - the Mails idea to try and can visitors ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1208: Aug 16, 2012 04:59:58 pm

No but it's in the rules to protect the forum from copyright.

Thanks.

Read them before posting.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1209: Aug 16, 2012 05:06:11 pm
      Copyright ? Blimey ! Ok no probs.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #1210: Aug 16, 2012 05:21:29 pm
      If this report is correct [u never know, its the mail]. I think this is the best news I have had all week.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1211: Aug 16, 2012 07:29:38 pm
      Carra on talk sport hinted that he has been offered a 4 year contract - just got in and cant recall the exact quote. But it appears that he has been offered one as Skrtle has too...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1212: Aug 16, 2012 07:38:57 pm

Haha f***in superb s@int, love it
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1213: Aug 16, 2012 07:43:14 pm
      Carra on talk sport hinted that he has been offered a 4 year contract - just got in and cant recall the exact quote. But it appears that he has been offered one as Skrtle has too...

Please say that Carra is hinting Agger has been offered a 4 year contract ?!?!?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #1214: Aug 16, 2012 07:45:00 pm
      Please say that Carra is hinting Agger has been offered a 4 year contract ?!?!?

Ha ha I think I've just had the same thought trundle through my mind!!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1215: Aug 16, 2012 07:46:38 pm
      Ha ha I think I've just had the same thought trundle through my mind!!

Very Worried !!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1216: Aug 16, 2012 07:47:09 pm
      Had the same thought too for a second, would be awesome news if Agger signs a new contract too. Make it so!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #1217: Aug 16, 2012 07:49:07 pm

Nah, more relieved after reading it a second time and realising it wasn't Carra getting the four year contract.

Hope he's right though, Agger sorted, this new lad and possibly the Sahin loan, I'd be quite happy with that.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1218: Aug 16, 2012 07:50:20 pm
      Nah, more relieved after reading it a second time and realising it wasn't Carra getting the four year contract.

Hope he's right though, Agger sorted, this new lad and possibly the Sahin loan, I'd be quite happy with that.

It would be a decent summer of business - still missing a lethal striker but dont think many can complain ( even though they will )

Quick Reply