Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Wages

Read 15296 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Wages
      Reply #46: Aug 06, 2012 10:47:27 am
      Bringing up Cole and Pacheco is clutching at straws a bit - they are not exactly the players to improve us and they were also already ours. We also paid most of Coles wages whilst he was on loan and Pacheco isn't on much.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #47: Aug 06, 2012 10:50:53 am
      Bringing up Cole and Pacheco is clutching at straws a bit - they are not exactly the players to improve us and they were also already ours. We also paid most of Coles wages whilst he was on loan and Pacheco isn't on much.

I think Daz was just pointing out who is on the wage bill now and who isn't.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Aug 06, 2012 10:54:28 am

I'm not clutching at straws at all mate, they did not play for us last season as they were at other clubs.

The point I was raising is as they have now come back, 'we are no worse off in terms of numbers' to last season.

But we have cleared enough off the wage bill to bring in new players and be better off in terms of numbers than last season, and hopefully those players we do bring in, will improve us.

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #49: Aug 06, 2012 10:56:25 am
      We are worse in terms of quality - that is what matters - not numbers.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #50: Aug 06, 2012 11:00:51 am
      My concern is what comes in, we need new faces and we need more options up front than we have.

Therefore I just hope we add to our attack before we continue trying to get the wage bill down.

Not saying that that won't happen, I'm just really hoping it does.

Very risky business if not.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #51: Aug 06, 2012 11:01:01 am
      We are worse in terms of quality - that is what matters - not numbers.

That much is correct, but you've totally missed the point.

At this present time, were no worse in terms of numbers.

Yes we may be worse off in terms of quality as you say.

But we've freed up around £20m on the wage bill.

Now we may go Buy 4 players or so who do improve the quality of our squad and even challenge for a regular starting XI spot.

So our squad will in fact end up stronger.

Its not rocket science.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #52: Aug 06, 2012 11:06:39 am
      You are working of possibilities and maybes - not what we see currently in the squad.

Being the same in terms of numbers is meaningless if the quality hasn't improved or has gone backwards.

You could sell 3 more players and replace them with 3 sheep and "the numbers are the same"

It's the quality we look at.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #53: Aug 06, 2012 11:12:31 am
      You are working of possibilities and maybes - not what we see currently in the squad.

Being the same in terms of numbers is meaningless if the quality hasn't improved or has gone backwards.

Got to be rational though mate, if that's the case come the end of the window then I'm sure a few of us will be quite disillusioned but there's a few weeks to go yet. Yes, ideally we would have a few more in already but to say we aren't replacing the outgoing players with enough quality, at this point, is probably knee-jerking. I'm nervous about it but they've still got time yet.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #54: Aug 06, 2012 11:16:05 am
      There is time yes - we have had 5 weeks of the window with only 3 left - it's judging purely on what we see currently. We have our second competitive game on thurs and then just under 2 weeks the season starts. I think we may get a definate arrival in Allen but also Bellamy leaving but beyond that I'm unsure currently
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #55: Aug 06, 2012 11:16:39 am

You could sell 3 more players and replace them with 3 sheep and "the numbers are the same"

It's the quality we look at.

Lets look at it another way George.

Will Pacheco offer more to the squad than Aurelio last year ?, As Aurelio was on the treatment table all season, I believe so.

Will Cole offer more to the squad than Aquilani last year ? as Aquilani was on loan I'd think so.

Will Borini offer more than Maxi ? I don't know, but I'd expect him to feature more than Maxi did, but its a mixed bag in regards to quality as Borini is pretty much an unknown quantity.

So we have to replace Kuyt and possibly Bellamy so far with quality and we have around £20m in wages to do so.

Its not impossible is it ?

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #56: Aug 06, 2012 11:17:26 am
      Everyone is fella, we've just got to sit and wait.

And hope, out of our hands at this point.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #57: Aug 06, 2012 11:28:34 am

Will Pacheco offer more to the squad than Aurelio last year ?, As Aurelio was on the treatment table all season, I believe so.

Will Cole offer more to the squad than Aquilani last year ? as Aquilani was on loan I'd think so.

Will Borini offer more than Maxi ? I don't know, but I'd expect him to feature more than Maxi did, but its a mixed bag in regards to quality as Borini is pretty much an unknown quantity.

So we have to replace Kuyt and possibly Bellamy so far with quality and we have around £20m in wages to do so.

Well first thing Pacheco has gone to the reserves and Cole is surprise surprise injured again so neither will add anything IMO to the squad.

We could get more in or we could just get Allen in ? Lots of possibilities but overall we would have made big savings on our wage bill.

Not giving Sigurdsson an extra 10 or 20 grand a week spoke a little message to me.

Our wage bill will be cut further. And I hope it doesn't mean we sacrafice on quality.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: Aug 06, 2012 11:32:10 am
      I prefer to see the positives mate, Pacheco may be in the reserves for now, but you and I have no idea's of Rodgers plans for him this season, but I'd hazard a guess if he remains here, he'll feature more than Aurelio did last season and Cole will recover from his injury and if he remains I'd expect him to rack up more games than Aquilani did for us last season.

I'm staying positive until that transfer window shuts as until then anything can happen and some of us could end up looking back at our posts and cringing.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #59: Aug 06, 2012 11:34:01 am
      I'm staying positive until that transfer window shuts as until then anything can happen and some of us could end up looking back at our posts and cringing.

Same, same.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #60: Aug 06, 2012 11:34:48 am

I think you are missing one important fact mate, we finished 8th last season, so just replacing the out going players with players of "similar" quality is not good enough is it?

Especially taking into account that the players you are so blithely dismissing scored over a quarter of our league goals last season.

I don't think anyone is arguing that players needed to go, just that we needed BETTER quality players to replace them if we are to expect the improvements we need.

Certainly if it is just a case of saving money Pacheco,Borini and Cole will be adequate replacements, if it is about improving the team or the squad I think we need better.   
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #61: Aug 06, 2012 11:39:30 am
      I don't think anyone is arguing that players needed to go, just that we needed BETTER quality players to replace them if we are to expect the improvements we need.

Thing is mate, I'm expecting better quality players to arrive, Players that will make some of last seasons starting XI fill the roles of those who's left.

I don't see this as any different to any other transfer window, every team shifts players on to make room in the squad/wage bill to bring more players in.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #62: Aug 06, 2012 11:42:35 am

Thing is mate, I'm expecting better quality players to arrive, Players that will make some of last seasons starting XI fill the roles of those who's left.

I hope you are right mate, but for me I think we will need to sell a big name player before we buy. I think we have blown all our money on Allen and will look to loans to fill the gaps. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #63: Aug 06, 2012 11:43:49 am
      I think you are missing one important fact mate, we finished 8th last season, so just replacing the out going players with players of "similar" quality is not good enough is it?

Don't think anybody is saying they should be replaced with 'similar' quality mate.

Or have I missed something?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #64: Aug 06, 2012 11:44:45 am
      I don't see this as any different to any other transfer window, every team shifts players on to make room in the squad/wage bill to bring more players in.

As my edit above said mate.

I don't see this as any different to any other transfer window, every club shifts players on to make room in the squad/wage bill to bring more players in.

I don't believe we are skint far from it, and if what you think may happen, happens, then serious questions need to be asked as Standard Chartered and Warrior money means we should be anything but skint.

I also believe Rodgers would not have come to the club had he not had assurances he'd be backed, he's witnessed both Roy and Kenny get forced out over the last two seasons due to results.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #65: Aug 06, 2012 11:50:37 am
      As my edit above said mate.

I don't believe we are skint far from it, and if what you think may happen, happens, then serious questions need to be asked as Standard Chartered and Warrior money means we should be anything but skint.

That's what worries me slightly.

Seems as if it's a process of get rid of high earners first and then get new people in second.

Not like a one in, one out, type strategy. If we've got people lined up now and aren't letting anybody else go (with the exception of one or two midfielders if Allen comes) then okay.

But letting anybody else go now before getting people in is a very risky tactic at this point. I hope the wage cutting has stopped for now and the focus is solely on strengthening the squad.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #66: Aug 06, 2012 11:51:05 am
      Don't think anybody is saying they should be replaced with 'similar' quality mate.

Or have I missed something?

RLB is saying they HAVE been replaced mate by Pacheco, Cole and Borini.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #67: Aug 06, 2012 11:52:08 am
      Seems as if it's a process of get rid of high earners first and then get new people in second.

We don't know though mate, Rodgers said we've made several enquiries for players, we don't know how serious and how advanced those enquiries are.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #68: Aug 06, 2012 11:53:16 am
      RLB is saying they HAVE been replaced mate by Pacheco, Cole and Borini.

I didn't get that from his post mate, just that in terms of numbers we are no worse off. The guys who have come back are as likely to get time on pitch as the ones who have gone but we've got an extra £20 mil on wages to play with at this point.

Quick Reply