Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 202608 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1472: Feb 07, 2015 07:28:28 pm
      Absofuckinglutely the most useless player on the pitch today.  Most frustrating player to watch in a red shirt in quite a while.

He was ineffective, but not as mind bogglingly bad as Gerrard and Henderson.

Then again, Allen's the easy target isn't he for some people who don't know any better.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1473: Feb 07, 2015 07:36:17 pm
      He was ineffective, but not as mind bogglingly bad as Gerrard and Henderson.

Then again, Allen's the easy target isn't he for some people who don't know any better.

Is right. Look, Allen wasn't good. He was poor, in fact, as was much of the team. But to act as if he was the worst player today is nonsense.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #1474: Feb 07, 2015 07:38:22 pm
      Absofuckinglutely the most useless player on the pitch today.  Most frustrating player to watch in a red shirt in quite a while.

You must not have watched Hendo or Gerrard then.

Allen was twice as effective as either of them today.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #1475: Feb 07, 2015 07:40:12 pm
      This is known as Scapegoating.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1476: Feb 07, 2015 08:24:16 pm
      Yeah thought he wasn't that bad, not as bad Stevie was but Joe did give away 2 free kicks in very dangerous positions, unnecessarily, that cause me abit of angst.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1477: Feb 07, 2015 08:27:27 pm
      Yeah thought he wasn't that bad, not as bad Stevie was but Joe did give away 2 free kicks in very dangerous positions, unnecessarily, that cause me abit of angst.

Same, his defensive play wasn't so bad, but his distribution is no where near Lucas' level, that's what sets Lucas apart from the majority of top defensive midfielders.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1478: Feb 07, 2015 08:59:23 pm
      Same, his defensive play wasn't so bad, but his distribution is no where near Lucas' level, that's what sets Lucas apart from the majority of top defensive midfielders.

Got TBH and go with the complete opposite. Lucas being better on defensive duties and breaking up play whilst being relatively poor on passing and distribution.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1479: Feb 07, 2015 09:05:40 pm
      Got TBH and go with the complete opposite. Lucas being better on defensive duties and breaking up play whilst being relatively poor on passing and distribution.

Difference is Lucas has the technical ability to take the ball in one touch and pass forward which most of our midfielders can't, they have to take two touches before the ball goes back inc Allen.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1480: Feb 07, 2015 09:12:01 pm

Difference is Lucas has the technical ability to take the ball in one touch and pass forward which most of our midfielders can't, they have to take two touches before the ball goes back inc Allen.

I don't think any of our midfielders come close to Lucas' distribution. I honestly think it's just as good as Busquet, I mean, seriously, can you think of many defensive midfielders as good as Lucas in distribution department? because I seriously can't.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1481: Feb 07, 2015 09:20:44 pm
      I don't think any of our midfielders come close to Lucas' distribution. I honestly think it's just as good as Busquet, I mean, seriously, can you think of many defensive midfielders as good as Lucas in distribution department? because I seriously can't.

I reckon Can could fulfill that role, no problem. If Lucas is crocked I hope Brendan see's sense and play Can in that position.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1482: Feb 07, 2015 09:25:00 pm
      I reckon Can could fulfill that role, no problem. If Lucas is crocked I hope Brendan see's sense and play Can in that position.

Yeah, I reckon he can fill that role too, but I don't know how good he'll be there as I've seen so little of him in that position. Surely he has to be better than Allen.. or hopefully :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1483: Feb 07, 2015 09:26:32 pm
      Waste of money.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1484: Feb 07, 2015 10:30:30 pm
      I really don't like saying this, but I really am sick of the site of him in a Liverpool shirt.

He's a nothing footballer, and one that should be sold on in the Summer. Struggling to think who would take him to be honest... perhaps a return to Swansea or a move to Villa?  :confused-smiley-013:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1485: Feb 07, 2015 11:15:40 pm
      anyone who thinks that was a "poor performance" today hasn't been watching our games the last few seasons.

today was just another day at the office for Joe. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1486: Feb 07, 2015 11:27:37 pm
      anyone who thinks that was a "poor performance" today hasn't been watching our games the last few seasons.

today was just another day at the office for Joe. 

Give it a rest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #1487: Feb 07, 2015 11:47:10 pm
      Wee Joe seems to have one use.

Make a lot of people realise how good Lucas Leiva actually is.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1488: Feb 07, 2015 11:52:43 pm

am I wrong?

is Joe Allen actually a great player, has he consistently shown he imposes himself in games, and today in the derby was just a one off?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1489: Feb 08, 2015 12:11:59 am
      am I wrong?

is Joe Allen actually a great player, has he consistently shown he imposes himself in games, and today in the derby was just a one off?

I have already said in the post match thread that he was a direct replacement for Lucas, and considering the role Lucas plays we restricted them to one shot on target and controlled the midfield.

Allen just like Lucas is not the fulcrum of attacking play, Allen provided a good shield for the defence and passed the ball onto those who were responsible for attack, not his fault Gerrard and mainly Henderson were sh*te.

It's funny how people praise Lucas how he provides defensive cover etc. Yet when Allen does the same there's always the he provides nothing going forward! Well When was the last time Lucas provided an assist?

Look Allen is not as good as Lucas in terms of passing range or getting the ball back but his criticism is just ridiculous when quite often there are worse offenders.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1490: Feb 08, 2015 12:32:34 am
      Joe would get bullied in a kindergarten, unfortunately his mentality matches his stature.

A big misjudgement making him our most expensive signing in the first window, when we were told he would make a huge impact and we'd grow to love him.

I'm sure he'll end up at one of the promoted clubs next season and he'll disappear there too, club was way too big for him and it overwhelmed him completely.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1491: Feb 15, 2015 09:45:16 am
      Thought he played well yesterday nothing flash but probably helped by the fact palace did not press us.
      But showed until Lucas is back he is a decent option as our holding midfielder.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1492: Feb 15, 2015 10:19:08 am
      Joe would get bullied in a kindergarten, unfortunately his mentality matches his stature.

A big misjudgement making him our most expensive signing in the first window, when we were told he would make a huge impact and we'd grow to love him.

I'm sure he'll end up at one of the promoted clubs next season and he'll disappear there too, club was way too big for him and it overwhelmed him completely.

Bit harsh on his mentality. Think he is very strong in the mind.

Problem is he is just a really sh*t version of Hendo. He will never be good enough to play up the pitch for us consistently.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1493: Feb 15, 2015 10:40:05 am
      Joe was very decent and played some good attacking passes. He is not our standard XI but good back up player to have in the squad.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1494: Feb 15, 2015 12:09:45 pm
      I think Allen is underrated by most of our fans. When he's fit and confident I think he is a good footballer. Putting the price we paid aside I think he will always be a decent squad player to have.

Quick Reply