Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 200073 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1587: Mar 16, 2015 10:07:01 pm

If it wasn't for Mignolet's saves first half that kept us in it he would have had my vote as well
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1588: Mar 16, 2015 10:07:59 pm
      A good string of consecutive quality performances from Allen. Stepped up brilliantly since Lucas' injury.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1589: Mar 16, 2015 10:11:17 pm
      If it wasn't for Mignolet's saves first half that kept us in it he would have had my vote as well

Fair enough. Allen was pretty good in the second half but IMO he was no better than anyone else in the first half and could easily have cost us a goal had he not recovered and even then there was still a lot of pressure on us in the box.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating him, I'm glad to see him have a good second half but IMO he didn't do anything that stood out. For me Migs was head and shoulders above everyone else and kept us in the game when we were being played through with ease.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1590: Mar 16, 2015 10:12:15 pm
      looked like Messi for a few seconds in the box during the second half.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1591: Mar 16, 2015 10:14:15 pm

Is it possible Joseph is starting to win you over?

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1592: Mar 16, 2015 10:17:53 pm
      How he kept hold of it at times is beyond me. Great with the ball at his feet I have to say.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1593: Mar 16, 2015 10:23:06 pm
      Is it possible Joseph is starting to win you over?

he's going to need to play like this for the next 20+ games for me to even think about it....

it's hard to erase 3 years of playing poorly in a couple of weeks.  Do it for a few months and I'll be impressed.

but it can happen---look at Mignolet, he was utter rubbish for a year straight, then suddenly in the last few months he's reinvented himself.  far from impossible for Joseph.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1594: Mar 16, 2015 10:34:50 pm
      he's going to need to play like this for the next 20+ games for me to even think about it....

it's hard to erase 3 years of playing poorly in a couple of weeks.  Do it for a few months and I'll be impressed.

but it can happen---look at Mignolet, he was utter rubbish for a year straight, then suddenly in the last few months he's reinvented himself.  far from impossible for Joseph.

I think if he can stay fit he will keep this level of performance for the rest of the season.

Remember the first three months after he signed he was brilliant then he got that shoulder injury and his Liverpool career has been stop start ever since due to niggling injuries. This had a knock on affect on his confidence. He seems to have regained confidence lost for a long time.

He really is a lovely footballer when his confidence is up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1595: Mar 16, 2015 10:52:37 pm
      it's hard to erase 3 years of playing poorly in a couple of weeks. 

If he had been poor for 3 years I'd agree but he hasn't so again I think you're talking rubbish Fed.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1596: Mar 17, 2015 04:07:57 am

You mean the Argentinian Joe Allen?  :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1597: Mar 17, 2015 04:10:40 am
      Second best player on the pitch for us against Swansea.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1598: Mar 17, 2015 08:34:26 am
      Fair enough. Allen was pretty good in the second half but IMO he was no better than anyone else in the first half and could easily have cost us a goal had he not recovered and even then there was still a lot of pressure on us in the box.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating him, I'm glad to see him have a good second half but IMO he didn't do anything that stood out. For me Migs was head and shoulders above everyone else and kept us in the game when we were being played through with ease.

Thats was my thinking as well mate but when I read the comments post match, I was wondering..what the F**k...was I that stoned?
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1599: Mar 17, 2015 12:40:53 pm
      Best player on the pitch for me.

Was the only one to come out of that first half with some credibility (Along with Mignolet). Always prepared to take the ball, regardless of how tight the situation is. He's having a decent run of form now, so he's probably due an injury.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #1600: Mar 18, 2015 08:53:24 am
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1601: Mar 18, 2015 08:01:58 pm
      He was alright like, wouldn't say he was astounding, but I'd rather fans be on his side than against him because that doesn't help the team.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1602: Mar 23, 2015 01:04:07 pm
      Totally bottled it for me. He was struggling with the most basic of passing.

Allen is a squad player who can have the odd great game. But he should never be a regular starter unless our main midfielders are either injured, tired or terribly out of form.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1603: Mar 23, 2015 08:22:28 pm
      Absolutely awful from Joe, deserves praise when he has played well but that was a terrible performance from him.

I was screaming out for Gerrard or Lucas to come on, we all know what happened next!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1604: Mar 24, 2015 01:05:26 pm
      now lucas is back i think Joe will kiss his regular starting place good bye, even though he had one or two decent games he's not good enough in that role to get us TOP 4 or higher as he doesnt have the ability. I'm just hoping being Brendans Lovechild dont mean he gets to play when he's clearly not the answer to our needs. He can do an ok job and have the odd great game but not consistant enough IMO
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #1605: Mar 24, 2015 01:41:24 pm
      Look, Allen defo had a bad game. But it was still better than Henderson's game against United, yet we're much quicker to harp on Joe than Jordan on the back of their respective performances. Collective, they put in an atrocious midfield performance, but it's the fault of both of them, not just one.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1606: Mar 24, 2015 01:48:59 pm
      Look, Allen defo had a bad game. But it was still better than Henderson's game against United, yet we're much quicker to harp on Joe than Jordan on the back of their respective performances. Collective, they put in an atrocious midfield performance, but it's the fault of both of them, not just one.

The thing is, if we're talking about Allen losing his place off the back of his last performance then there will only be 2 or 3 starting the next game. However, I think Lucas brings more to the team than Allen does and protects the defence so well, that's the only reason I'd like to see Allen taken out of the starting 11. My opinion isn't based on the game against United like I said.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1607: Mar 24, 2015 01:52:37 pm
      Look, Allen defo had a bad game. But it was still better than Henderson's game against United, yet we're much quicker to harp on Joe than Jordan on the back of their respective performances.

Speak for yourself.

Henderson was terrible too.

They both were.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #1608: Mar 24, 2015 01:52:58 pm
      The thing is, if we're talking about Allen losing his place off the back of his last performance then there will only be 2 or 3 starting the next game. However, I think Lucas brings more to the team than Allen does and protects the defence so well, that's the only reason I'd like to see Allen taken out of the starting 11. My opinion isn't based on the game against United like I said.

I agree that Lucas needs to come back in. But that wasn't the point.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #1609: Mar 24, 2015 01:54:08 pm
      Speak for yourself.

Henderson was terrible too.

They both were.

Think I did.

Quick Reply