Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

A striker or a midfielder?

Read 3824 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: A striker or a midfielder?
      Reply #46: Aug 20, 2012 07:44:44 am
      You mat laugh and snigger but Owen would have scored couple of goals yesterday. He has still got it in within him. I would have him on pay per play deal in a shot.

I would rather have him shot
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #47: Aug 20, 2012 08:09:56 am
      So most of you said, we'd better sign another striker. Fine at least our opinions are clear but my point is: it means Borini, Suarez and Carroll cannot score enough regularly? I think that unless we sign good attacking wingers with good crossing, any striker will struggle to score here. I'd like us to sign Remy personally, exatle what we need:pace, youth, trickery and goals. He can play on the wings too. our midfielders are simply no threat to the opposing defenders.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #48: Aug 20, 2012 08:27:00 am
      It would have to be a striker for me - goals are what we have been lacking for too long now.  Also - it is all well and good saying our midfield haven't chipped in with assists, but to be honest it was not because they weren't creating chances, we just weren't scoring them.  I have a feeling that as ineffective as we all think he has been, Downing actually created a lot of chances last year, but none of them were finished (think I read that somewhere - but could be wrong).
      halofreak11789
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #49: Aug 20, 2012 09:00:44 am
      LOLOLOLOL
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #50: Aug 20, 2012 09:33:39 am
      Torres and Gerrard 5 years ago.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #51: Aug 20, 2012 10:17:34 am
      We need a striker who will make runs off the ball in behind the defence.
      Suarez likes to come back and get the ball in front of defenders and take them on, Carroll just isn't mobile enough to be effective running in behind.
      We had a lot of chances last season but not many clean-through-one-on-one type chances, tended to crowded penalty area snapshot type chances. We need an out and out striker who will  run in behind and then finish when he does.

I thought Borini was the guy who we were going with to do this job, but playing him wide and Suarez thru the middle yesterday suggests not. Can't understand why Borini wasnt at least given the chance in that position as we know its not for Suarez from last season and a half.
      Anyway, if its not to be Borini we definitely need somebody.

Ideally we could do with a couple of top class wingers too of course, but on a budget we have to prioritise a striker. Personally I would sink all our money into a striker and basically play without wingers. Just play narrow a la Arsenal ( of a few years ago preferably). This would suit Rodgers style anyway and I am kind of expecting him to go that way. It would basically play to the strengths, such as they are, of the squad we have.
      But we need a goalscorer.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #52: Aug 20, 2012 10:26:09 am
      Ain't no 2 ways about it we need a creative midfielder who can contribute both goals n assists and a pacey striker who knows where the goal is. As much as I like Allen and borini neither really address our key frailties from last years, namely finishing and midfield flair and you need that no matter what style of football you intend to play

Quick Reply