Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

A New Chapter

Read 1526 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      A New Chapter
      Aug 17, 2012 11:17:48 pm
      Well, it's been a very tough last few months for the majority of Liverpool supporters, especially those like me, the older ones. Even tougher for those fans even older than ourselves as we've seen change at the Club, some change viewed as good and some change viewed as treacherous. NESV have come into the Club and saved us, for that i'm eternally grateful.

They've done some great things, securing sponsorship deals that outweigh our major rivals and it's fair to say they have spent money on players. They've also removed several players that just weren't cutting it here.

They've done some bad things too, ruthlessly disposing of Kenny Dalglish, the man who put us back on an even keel and saved us from embarassment after the tenure of Project Owl. Their lack of backing to Suarez over the Evra affair was disgusting and when you see a player and manager left to walk alone by the owners then it sticks like a knife into the hearts of the Liverpool family.

Then there's things they haven't done, like the proposed new stadium or re-development of Anfield, their ignorance in not offering an apology to Kenny Dalglish over the way they handled the whole debacle.

We've seen the installation of a new manager, Brendan Rodgers. I've been very happy with the way he's settled in and he seems to be cut from the same cloth as Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish. A working class man from a hard working background with the same values, principles, morals and philosophy that all the aforementioned possessed in abundance.

It's taken me a while to come round since Kenny left and i don't think i'll ever recover from it. That's why it's been hard to focus on my beloved Liverpool.

This may sound stupid but i've felt like getting behind Brendan has been like betraying the King, i've felt guilty because i know Kenny should still be here, carrying on buliding on the foundations he'd laid.

Another thing that has angered me is the constant swooning over 'tiki-taka' football.

Heed this famous quotation please - "Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

Brendan has schooled himself well in the art of playing effective football and his philosophy is akin to that of Bill Shankly. My only reservation is that we don't seem to have the ability to mix it up but hopefully we won't require that.

All these names that get bandied about for what is in essence, ' pass and move' football do my b***ard head in.

We perfected it, others try to emulate it.

We've been arguing amongst each other this Summer but what i'm trying to say is that now is the time to put those differences aside. A new Season starts tomorrow afternoon, a new journey with new additions.

This is a battle cry to everyone that has an affiliation with Liverpool Football Club. A cry to those that Kenny brought in last Season to show the desire and gratitude they failed to show Kenny last Season. A cry to all the new signings to show they want to be here and fight for us. A cry to the owners to deliver what they have promised both on the field and off it. A cry to all the supporters to unify under one common pursuit, the pursuit of perfection.

Tomorrow afternoon a new chapter begins, a chapter i would never have envisaged just a few months ago. I don't want to turn the page but there's nothing i can do about it, it has to be done.

I'm wishing Brendan and the boys all the very best for the new Season and i'm hoping come May next year we'll be drooling at the prospect of some more silverware.

Just go out there and do your best, give your all lads, not just for Liverpool Football Club but for yourselves.

You'll Never Walk Alone.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Re: A New Chapter
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2012 12:21:54 am
      Belter of a post that mate.

Makes me want to revisit and rewrite the next chapter of one of me own previous posts - From Houlding To Hicks.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2012 12:27:52 am
      Brilliant OP. Well said.  :gt-happyup:
      tideswellman
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2012 12:29:11 am
      Good Post.  I agree wholeheartedly. Tiki Taka is the daftest name i ever heard. I dont want to be like Spain, I want to win the league the same way we did in the 80's.  I dont want boring Arsenal style , walk it into the net football.  Lets back the new manager though...get into champs league and then we can get the top class players.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2012 01:11:48 am
      A post from the heart hardcore. Well said.

As you allude to the it was a gut wrenching and frustrating afternoon that, when Kenny got sacked. The man who brought Liverpool back together and re-captured our spirit was indeed disposed of so ruthlessly as you said. He got us playing some fabulous football at times and brought silverware back to Anfield. 8th in the league was bitter but from the evidence of the first half of the season I was very content as to where we were heading. Major surgery wasn't required, so I looked forward to another season under Kenny. But that wasn't to be.  Deep down though, even during Kenny's reign, I knew that Kenny was never the man FSG really wanted as manager. Their hands were very much forced by us the fans and by Kenny's remarkable salvage operation from January - May 2011. But in time FSG will realise that Kenny's appointment may have been the best thing they could have done for this club and it's future.  He may have gone but for younger Liverpool fans like myself, he gave us an idea of what it was like in his first coming at this club. That spirit, that passion and that togetherness he exuded and spread with us fans was magic and something I had never felt before. That was why I am a Liverpool fan. Not because of the desire to win trophies but because of the desire to love. It's so often believed that spirit and togetherness can only be brought about by success on the field. Kenny's tenure was an exception to this rule.

He's gone now though and while it tasted bitter, it's not something I will dwell on. Kenny reminded us of who we were but in truth he was never the man to take us forward into the new age. However he was the man to show us the door to the new age. And tomorrow I guess we can all say that we go into that new age. It's going to be a long journey but with patience and time (and that is crucial), I'm confident Brendan Rodger's, with the blessings of Kenny and us lot, can lead us into something of a new testament for this club.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2012 09:03:21 am
      Thats a hell of an opening post ,and put much better than i could have done it well done Hardcore ,  that post is exactly how i have felt all summer ,in fact i have stayed mostly out of the forum ,perhaps not a grown up thing to do but i just had such bad feelings about the way Kenny was treated ,made me feel sick if i am honest.

Now as you say its a new chapter and hope springs eternal ,hope that Brendan can get us going , hope that instead of talking a good game our players go out and bust their balls and produce on the field instead of off it , hope also that as fans we all have a bit of patience and dont start slagging all and sundry at the merest dip in form , i wish all fellow reds good will on your travels, good will and a bit of luck to our players ,and the very best of luck to our manager its a new chapter alright lets hope its a glorious beginning. 
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2012 09:17:37 am
      Fantastic opening post mate. If I ever needed any more enthusiasm for the new season, this has provided it it.

On a different note, have to say, I slightly disagree about how you refer to NESV's treatment of Kenny. No matter what way I word it, it sounds extremely disrespectful towards Kenny. However, and it pains me to say, football is football and stuff happens that you don't like. I don't think NESV did anything other owners wouldn't.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2012 09:53:49 am
      Brilliant OP Hardcore!  Well said mate!

Thats a hell of an opening post ,and put much better than i could have done it well done Hardcore ,  that post is exactly how i have felt all summer ,in fact i have stayed mostly out of the forum ,perhaps not a grown up thing to do but i just had such bad feelings about the way Kenny was treated ,made me feel sick if i am honest.

This is exactly how I felt too Andy.

This morning though, I'm buzzing.  A new era begins and I'm actually really looking forward to it.  I've turned that page over.  Can't wait for 3pm!  Good luck to Brendan and the lads!

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2012 10:02:57 am
      Excellent post, from the heart and well articulated.
      Your points on KK, the suarez injustice, the stadium and tiki taka eloquently put into words what a lot of us feel.
      Thanks buddy.
      +1

The new season starts today, lets give em hell.
      YNWA
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2012 10:16:31 am
      Good OP, even if I don't agree with all the jingoistic rhetoric.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2012 01:59:00 pm
      Fantastic post Hardcore, couldn't have put it better, love your passion, a fantastic rallying call, YNWA
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #11: Aug 19, 2012 09:14:52 pm
      Passionate post there mate !!...Nail on the Head !
      Strange how your being "watched" by the mods  :o , or have missed something?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #12: Aug 19, 2012 09:17:41 pm
      Thank you all for your kind words. Unfortunately page 1 didn't turn out as expected, i haven't seen the game yet, i'll watch it in the morning.

Roddenberry, i know we never agree but there was no need to insinuate that the post was the equivalent of Nazi Propaganda!. ;)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Aug 19, 2012 10:40:17 pm
      Hey, great post. The past few years have seen huge change, dissappointment, disagreement etc. Not been easy. But think 99% of those on here are on because they are fans and want LFC to do well and return to the top of the league.
      KK moving on was hard to take but I think BR is a solid guy and should be allowed put his plans in place with the support of club and fans.

All the talk of tika-taka and that by simply by shifting to that philosophy we're more likely to deliver success is not completely convincing imo. Barca are the poster boys and play a great passing game - but their success is based on having some of the best players in the world in their side.
      Think we still need better players in several positions, not just guys who can pass the ball, but who can win it back, score, some strong leader(s) with a never say die attitude etc. - ideally all comfortable in possesion for this type of style to work well. Not just to look good that is .... but to actually win things. But you need money to buy em...

Would love BR to be successful at the club - be brilliant to play football that's great to watch AND will trophies. Course it would. But need to look at the other sides up there, Citeh & Utd in particular (Rooney/RVP, Tezez/Aguero) who playing attacking football, score a lot of goals and who have a good mix of players. They are the benchmark, how can we close on those sides, hugely difficult task for BR.

Will be hard to make an assessment of BRs progress for half a season anyway. Takes time to learn a new system,  to keep playing that way when behind, not to panic etc. Not gonna be jumpin on the guys back just yet (in saying that, can't understand why someone like Joe Cole is still in contention) - but questioning decisions is not the same as callin for someones head, think it's only natural poeple will have different opinions on individual players, systems, substitutions etc.

But once the guys line up for the next game, we'll be behind them 110% :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Aug 19, 2012 11:49:33 pm
      Thank you all for your kind words. Unfortunately page 1 didn't turn out as expected, i haven't seen the game yet, i'll watch it in the morning.

Roddenberry, i know we never agree but there was no need to insinuate that the post was the equivalent of Nazi Propaganda!. ;)

I said I agreed with some of it, in a roundabout way, what more do you want!

Quick Reply