Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Stevie in a front 3?

Read 4332 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Stevie in a front 3?
      Reply #23: Aug 15, 2012 10:26:58 am
      While i agree he could play there ,do we really have anyone else in the middle who an play the killer ball like him ,the answer to that is no i believe ,there is no doubt about his scoring ability ,and i dont think we have anyone else yet who can pick a man out like stevie can ,so i would keep him just behind our strikers for now ,with a little license to roam.

Have to agree with this analogy. We certainly lack a player with even near the amount of creativity of Gerrard, whether Allen is that man?, only time will tell.

Brendan will do what's best for the team, of that i have no doubt. I'd have Gerrard in the midfield with a license to roam, the return of Lucas has given us that defensive solidity we lacked during his recent injury lay off.

I completely understand the concerns about Gerrard reverting to his defensive game when we're under the cosh but that's what you'd expect him to do, any player for that point. Ever since we lost Alonso the weight on Gerrard's shoulders to be the catalyst for everything has been too great.

I'm really hoping Allen and Shelvey come good this Season, we have to have somebody capable of taking the mantle and alleviating the pressure off Gerrard. He can't do it all anymore.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #24: Aug 15, 2012 06:41:12 pm
      With Sahin's arrival looking imminent, I think Stevie will be playing further forward with Luis and Fabio.

Gerrard   Suarez
                Borini

Johnson and Enrique seem to enjoy getting forward quite a lot, and when they do, you've got Lucas and Allen to assist the defence.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #25: Aug 15, 2012 07:30:09 pm
      This seems like a certainty now with the arrival of Nuri. I really like the shape of the team now and we could play some really breath taking football now with the kind of skillful versatile players we have got especially the front 3 and what with a manager who would get them playing the Liverpool way.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 17, 2012 11:43:41 am
      Gerrard could easily play as an inside forward on either side of the three. Would be interesting to see.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Aug 17, 2012 12:21:21 pm
      Allen Lucas Sahin

Gerrard

Borini Suarez
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 17, 2012 12:30:52 pm
      Allen Lucas Sahin

Gerrard

Borini Suarez
      Be interesting to see if he ever goes for anything like a 4-3-1-2, rather than his two wide forwards/wingers.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #29: Aug 19, 2012 05:47:33 am
      I'm posting this in here because it's about our front three. Some might disagree with me, but I don't think we should have Suarez leading the line. A good number of his best moments in England have come from attacking from a wide position. I'd much rather see him playing as a WF on the right than as the 9. He has to work too hard to beat two CBs as opposed to beating 1 LB and maybe a CB who slots over. He'd be given more time and space on the ball out wide, and he's obviously eager enough and skillful enough to take on and beat his man. Not to mention how hard he works in the middle means he's overworked when his chance to finish comes.

Likewise, I don't like Borini playing LW like he did vs West Brom. Unlike Suarez, he's not the type the to take on a man with a bag of tricks. His game is making smart, good runs in the box and being a solid finisher, wheras Suarez is more suited (in England) to being a creator. I alsothe think the type of workrate Borini has is suited to the middle hunting down the CBs and not the wing. A good point of reference is Bellamy vs City in the Carling Cup semi. Another striker and/or Carroll comes in here, but for the moment let's assume Borini is going to be a starter this season.

Finally, a new LW is greatly needed. Our options are Downing, Cole, Sterling and Assaidi. Cole is crocked at this point, Sterling is still just a kid and shouldn't really be shoved out there and expected to be starting week in week out, Downing is completely lost and shows zero effort, and Assaidi is a complete unknown with the added mystery of coming from the Dutch league. You never know how those players will pan out in England.

It's vital we bring in someone to play LW as I think we'd get the best out of both Suarez and Borini if we move Suarez to the right and Borini into the middle. But I don't think there should be a nailed on starter there. I think a hungry type of player with decent ball skill and who is isn't afraid to shoot is one option, and the other option to rotate in would be a straight pacey winger, which is something we've lacked for many years. Sure do miss Bellers already as I think he'd fit in excellently.

Suarez--------Borini---------LW
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 19, 2012 10:20:30 am
      I'm posting this in here because it's about our front three. Some might disagree with me, but I don't think we should have Suarez leading the line. A good number of his best moments in England have come from attacking from a wide position. I'd much rather see him playing as a WF on the right than as the 9. He has to work too hard to beat two CBs as opposed to beating 1 LB and maybe a CB who slots over. He'd be given more time and space on the ball out wide, and he's obviously eager enough and skillful enough to take on and beat his man. Not to mention how hard he works in the middle means he's overworked when his chance to finish comes.

Likewise, I don't like Borini playing LW like he did vs West Brom. Unlike Suarez, he's not the type the to take on a man with a bag of tricks. His game is making smart, good runs in the box and being a solid finisher, wheras Suarez is more suited (in England) to being a creator. I alsothe think the type of workrate Borini has is suited to the middle hunting down the CBs and not the wing. A good point of reference is Bellamy vs City in the Carling Cup semi. Another striker and/or Carroll comes in here, but for the moment let's assume Borini is going to be a starter this season.

Finally, a new LW is greatly needed. Our options are Downing, Cole, Sterling and Assaidi. Cole is crocked at this point, Sterling is still just a kid and shouldn't really be shoved out there and expected to be starting week in week out, Downing is completely lost and shows zero effort, and Assaidi is a complete unknown with the added mystery of coming from the Dutch league. You never know how those players will pan out in England.

It's vital we bring in someone to play LW as I think we'd get the best out of both Suarez and Borini if we move Suarez to the right and Borini into the middle. But I don't think there should be a nailed on starter there. I think a hungry type of player with decent ball skill and who is isn't afraid to shoot is one option, and the other option to rotate in would be a straight pacey winger, which is something we've lacked for many years. Sure do miss Bellers already as I think he'd fit in excellently.

Suarez--------Borini---------LW

Agree here, although have a doubt when it comes to defensive help Suarez would give Johnson there.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #31: Aug 24, 2012 11:36:09 am
      Hopefully by the end of the window we'll have this:

Reina
                        Glen Skrtel Agger Enrique
                                    Lucas
                               Allen     Sahin
                                   Gerrard
                        Dempsey       Suarez

And a decent selection for the bench aswell: Doni, Hendo, Coates, Kelly, Carroll, Downing, Assaidi, Borini, Shelvey, Sterling, Robinson, Jones.

Quick Reply