Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Hearts v Liverpool - pre match thread

Read 11746 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Re: Hearts v Liverpool - pre match thread
      Reply #92: Aug 22, 2012 11:36:53 pm
      Wish we'd stop wasting places in the squad on Eccleston, he's never going to make it here.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #93: Aug 22, 2012 11:55:36 pm
      Sadly true^ I'm amazed Suso has seemingly been ousted after a good pre season while Nathan is given even more chances after having looked lazy and uninterested.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #94: Aug 23, 2012 02:36:06 am
      Sadly true^ I'm amazed Suso has seemingly been ousted after a good pre season while Nathan is given even more chances after having looked lazy and uninterested.

I agree that Suso certainly has a bigger future than Ecclestone. I don't think the club help themselves when it comes to the way they handle some young players. Not saying that these lads are top quality but the way we have handled the likes of Pacheco, Nemeth and Guthrie has not helped us one bit.

For me, someone like Suso needs to be given the opportunity to impress, especially at this stage of their career. I can understand wanting to look after him but, as I said, this is such a key stage in their development and if they can not develop, they will stay at the same level, not get any better and eventually, not get to the level their potential deserves. I wouldn't blame someone like Suso looking elsewhere, if I am honest.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #95: Aug 23, 2012 07:16:07 am
      Based on the bib theory in training (Which worked last week)..

Reina; Robinson, Coates, Agger, Flanagan; Adam, Allen, Henderson; Sterling, Morgan, Borini.

Would love to see shelvey instead of hendo
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #96: Aug 23, 2012 07:21:30 am
      I agree that Suso certainly has a bigger future than Ecclestone. I don't think the club help themselves when it comes to the way they handle some young players. Not saying that these lads are top quality but the way we have handled the likes of Pacheco, Nemeth and Guthrie has not helped us one bit.

I think there have been a few suggestions that the club are not getting on too well with Suso at the moment although I don't know if there is anything in that. Something seems to be amiss when both Morgan and Ecclestone (both less talented than Suso) have made this squad ahead of him.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #97: Aug 23, 2012 07:54:26 am
      Would love to see shelvey instead of hendo

I would love to see shelvey instead of Adam. And Carroll up top
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #98: Aug 23, 2012 08:27:26 am
      I think there have been a few suggestions that the club are not getting on too well with Suso at the moment although I don't know if there is anything in that. Something seems to be amiss when both Morgan and Ecclestone (both less talented than Suso) have made this squad ahead of him.

Suso is a CM possible CAM though, if anything we should be wondering why Pacheco isn't given a go in striker as opposed to Eccleston.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #99: Aug 23, 2012 09:25:49 am
      Give Suarez and a few of the boys a rest and give some of the squad players a chance to impress.

See I'm in a bit of a quandary over this s@int. Normally I'd tend to agree but with our players needing to adapt to a new system (and do it quickly); I'm thinking the more playing time they've got together the better.

Loads of practice on the training pitch is all good and well but, as we saw on Saturday, there's no real substitute for a competitive game.

Maybe play his 'best' team tonight and Sunday then see how the rest of the lads do in the return?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #100: Aug 23, 2012 10:38:56 am
      ESPN at 4.30am here in Oz (Foxtel).

Must win this game - team needs to be as strong as possible with those that have travelled.  Carroll surely must start - don't think he can be cup tied for the group stages.  I also think that Allen and Lucas need time together, although Lucas is coming back from injury.  They will be up for it - good start is essential.  I am not expecting a pretty game.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #101: Aug 23, 2012 10:44:54 am
      I hope we give them a good spanking, get some confidence in the strikers and midfielders.

Then bring them back to Anfield and give them a taste of a Anfield spanking.

Or In reality 0-0 Away Leg
      1-0 Home leg 90 mins og
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #102: Aug 23, 2012 10:48:10 am
      Good opportunity for the reds to score goals against a team which is second or third rate in terms of quality. There should be no excuses now although we should not take them to lightly. Expect a 3-0 result myself.
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #103: Aug 23, 2012 10:50:27 am
      I would love to see shelvey instead of Adam. And Carroll up top

Me too. Was gonna suggest the same Linneman.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #104: Aug 23, 2012 11:33:07 am

See, Morgan And Ecclestone are more forward players but I see Suso more as an attacking midfielder, which could be a reason why he isn't being picked.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #105: Aug 23, 2012 11:43:40 am
      ESPN at 4.30am here in Oz (Foxtel).

Must win this game - team needs to be as strong as possible with those that have travelled.  Carroll surely must start - don't think he can be cup tied for the group stages.  I also think that Allen and Lucas need time together, although Lucas is coming back from injury.  They will be up for it - good start is essential.  I am not expecting a pretty game.
      F**k too early for me. Got school.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #106: Aug 23, 2012 11:50:30 am
      Does anyone know if there will be any highlights of this game, bearing in mind I only have freeview and don't have an account with Offal? I know there will be loads of links flooding around after the game but would prefer to watch the highlights in telly. Have a match tonight which is why I can't tune in.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #107: Aug 23, 2012 11:55:30 am
      F**k too early for me. Got school.
      Same here (I'm a techer though) = early night for me.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #108: Aug 23, 2012 12:49:14 pm
      Ill be taping it and getting up at 6.45 to watch it before work.

Cant seem to be able to do the early mornings these days and perform at work.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #109: Aug 23, 2012 12:59:30 pm
      See I'm in a bit of a quandary over this s@int. Normally I'd tend to agree but with our players needing to adapt to a new system (and do it quickly); I'm thinking the more playing time they've got together the better.

Loads of practice on the training pitch is all good and well but, as we saw on Saturday, there's no real substitute for a competitive game.

Maybe play his 'best' team tonight and Sunday then see how the rest of the lads do in the return?

A reasonable argument mate, my own view was that I would rather see how our squad players did in a meaningful game rather than the return which might just be a walkover (depending of course on the score tonight :) )

I am not certain that the players that played against West Brom will eventually be our preferred team this season and hoped to see Henderson, Adam, Carroll make their claims for inclusion on Sunday and as regular starters.

Obviously Brendan has seen things a different way to both of us, he hasn't included a few of the obvious starters for Sundays game (Suarez, Gerrard etc etc) and has included a few players who in my view will not even be considered for Sundays game (Morgan, Flanagan etc etc).

Whether Adam, Henderson and Carroll are still in Brendan's plans (other than to sell) is another matter, but I personally think if they are to stay we may as well use them and allow them the opportunity to fight for their places.

Certainly I think Adam played well with Lucas last season and might be a reasonable alternative to Gerrard in midfield if Gerrard is injured or moved further forward against Citeh :-

Allen      Lucas

Adam

Gerrard    Borini     Suarez

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #110: Aug 23, 2012 01:13:50 pm
      If Andy doesn't get a game he may as well pack his bags now .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #111: Aug 23, 2012 01:16:49 pm
      Wish we'd stop wasting places in the squad on Eccleston, he's never going to make it here.

Agree 100% mate. Kick in the teeth to Suso and Pacheco seeing this lazy get in ahead of them
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #112: Aug 23, 2012 01:25:31 pm
      Both Roy and the King also preferred Ecclestone than Suso and Pacheco. Is there something we are not seeing?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #113: Aug 23, 2012 01:28:42 pm
      Both Roy and the King also preferred Ecclestone than Suso and Pacheco. Is there something we are not seeing?

To be fair Neil he was a bit too young under Hodgson for first team football. And I dont think Kenny wanted to Rush young lads into the side, which I dont agree with. Good enough old enough for me
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #114: Aug 23, 2012 01:31:45 pm

May be suso leaving after his contract ends this year. Like kenny didn't fancied maxi last year coz he's moving anyway.

Quick Reply