Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What is going on?

Read 8066 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      What is going on?
      Aug 23, 2012 12:50:59 pm
      Hey guys, I know I've not posted for awhile now but I started the topic "Unexplainable" (http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,34771.msg847466.html#msg847466) 2 years ago and I mentioned some things which I'd like to say again.

Two years have past and in that period, alot of things have changed. We've lost Torres, Meireles, Aquilani, Hicks and Gilett and King Kenny who came and left. Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Enrique, Henderson and more have arrived. Chelsea finally wins the Champions League and we've once again fell out of the top four in that two seasons.

Anyways, back to topic, in the previous topic I linked, these were the last 2 paragraphs I wrote.

I have thought about writing this ever since I saw Wolves take the lead against Tottenham because I felt they played well and looked really threatening for a team, who is supposed to be inferior to us! Now, we have new owners and the results improved slightly but the performance hasn't really. And as many of us notice, we seem to only play well in one half at best.

So, I'm thinking - I hope the arrival of a more ambitious (attacking minded) manager and some really good players can give me the answers to this unexplainable mystery and prove me wrong because I feel like regardless of who we sign in the future, we might still play the same. I thought the arrival of players like Cole and Meireles this season would give us better performances and once again dominate matches but we have overall been below-par, like we were last season and I feel it's almost as though we've been cursed!

And at the moment, I've been proven right.

We still play dire football, we can't find our own players and we just look so disorganised as a unit and we don't even seem to be playing football.

Last season, I kept telling my friends that we were playing decent football for most of the season and that our lack of goals/clinical finishing were the problem. It still is but in all honesty, putting aside our "blips", our performances were below-par last season, again.

I know what some are thinking - "We've just got a new manager who brought it new players and one who has new ideas, they need time to gel". But wait, Steve Clarke (YES, our very own first team coach who left 2 months ago) gets a 3-0 win against his former club. Michael Laudrup, Swansea's new manager wins 5-0 away from home. And these are two clubs supposedly inferior to us.

Reading even took a 2-1 lead against Chelsea until they were hardly done by some poor keeping and a controversial goal by Torres that put Chelsea 3-2 up. Newcastle beat Spurs last weekend. The reality of football is, anyone can actually beat anyone but whenever I watch us play, we just don't look like a football team. I don't believe Borini or Allen are inferior to the players the other clubs in the bottom half have either so while we've not exactly signed world beaters, I don't think we've signed terrible players.

I personally don't believe in that bullshit that "players need to gel" because I, for one, believe good players will adapt quickly to their teammates' way of playing. I play alot of football and granted I'm no professional but whenever I play with someone new who is good, it feels as though we've played together for a long time. Also, I don't believe that it is easy to just tell a group of players to play a certain way.

I know it's just one game of the season and we should not hit the panic button (as Stevie said) but like I stated above, why do other teams turn up and still look pretty good for a first game of the season, with a new manager and with new players. I'm just very concerned to why this has been happening to us and it's been going on for far too long.

So what is going on with the club?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: What is going on?
      Reply #1: Aug 23, 2012 12:59:13 pm
      I think it's a little early for this Adryan especially considering we played a fair part of the game on Saturday with 10 men and before that I thought we played some decent football.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Aug 23, 2012 01:10:07 pm
      Sweet Jesus. The new manager has had 1 league game. 3 competive games (if you want to call the last qualifying round competive) in charge. Can we give him a few games to stamp his philosophy on the team. If 12 to 15 games in were playing "dire" football then have a pop about it, but 1 game in?
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #3: Aug 23, 2012 01:11:26 pm
      I think it's a little early for this Adryan especially considering we played a fair part of the game on Saturday with 10 men and before that I thought we played some decent football.

I agree, without the red card I really think we would have at least gotten a draw. We played well against Gomel (yes I know it's only Gomel) and Leverkusen and we did fairly well up until the red card against WBA.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #4: Aug 23, 2012 01:14:04 pm
      The reality of football is, anyone can actually beat anyone but whenever I watch us play, we just don't look like a football team.

Totally disagree with this as well as for many games last season we looked like a very good football side indeed.

Kenny has us playing some fantastic football at times which is overlooked because of how we finished in the league.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Aug 23, 2012 01:15:39 pm

8)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #6: Aug 23, 2012 01:18:35 pm
      what is going on is a lot of uncertainty in the club and that transfers to the players like Andy for instance who does not know if he is staying or going similar to Daniel.
      Also look at who has left good experienced well respected pro's and look who has replaced them lads who have achieved nothing yet.
      If ever there was a need to bring in a player of world stature it is now but what chance is there none.
      We have become LFC plc its all about the balance sheet.
      Bier
      Reply #7: Aug 23, 2012 01:44:00 pm
      We played one damn game though. I mean, come on. We're going to pass judgement already?

First of all, the EPL is the toughest competition in the world, where many teams can win against anyone on their day. West Brom last season ended 5 points behind us, they're not that bad. Newcastle are a damn good team now, they ended 1 point behind Spurs last season, why is them winning now a weird result? Swansea played great football last season already. These teams had good seasons last season and are continuing that, and building on that. We on the other hand are making major changes, it's going to take time.

And it's silly to compare your own football experiences to one of the best leagues in the world Adryan. The more professional football or any other sport gets, the more it comes down to details.
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012 02:08:47 pm by Bier »
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #8: Aug 23, 2012 01:49:35 pm
      We still play dire football, we can't find our own players and we just look so disorganised as a unit and we don't even seem to be playing football.

Far too early too construct an opinion like that mate.

Bump this up in 6 months time & see where we are then.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Aug 23, 2012 01:50:15 pm
      Over-reactions all over the place. I thought for 60 minutes we played fine on Saturday, sure once Agger got sent off we fell to bits which isn't acceptable but the level of reaction to one game is a bit ridiculous.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Aug 23, 2012 02:29:28 pm
      We've just got a new manager who brought it new players and one who has new ideas, they need time to gel.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #11: Aug 23, 2012 02:40:23 pm

Maybe we should adjust your intro under your name, just delete every word after open. ;)
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #12: Aug 23, 2012 02:43:51 pm
      Hey guys, I know I've not posted for awhile now but I started the topic "Unexplainable" (http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,34771.msg847466.html#msg847466) 2 years ago and I mentioned some things which I'd like to say again.

Two years have past and in that period, alot of things have changed. We've lost Torres, Meireles, Aquilani, Hicks and Gilett and King Kenny who came and left. Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Enrique, Henderson and more have arrived. Chelsea finally wins the Champions League and we've once again fell out of the top four in that two seasons.

Anyways, back to topic, in the previous topic I linked, these were the last 2 paragraphs I wrote.

And at the moment, I've been proven right.

Last season, I kept telling my friends that we were playing decent football for most of the season and that our lack of goals/clinical finishing were the problem. It still is but in all honesty, putting aside our "blips", our performances were below-par last season, again.

I know what some are thinking - "We've just got a new manager who brought it new players and one who has new ideas, they need time to gel". But wait, Steve Clarke (YES, our very own first team coach who left 2 months ago) gets a 3-0 win against his former club. Michael Laudrup, Swansea's new manager wins 5-0 away from home. And these are two clubs supposedly inferior to us.

Reading even took a 2-1 lead against Chelsea until they were hardly done by some poor keeping and a controversial goal by Torres that put Chelsea 3-2 up. Newcastle beat Spurs last weekend. The reality of football is, anyone can actually beat anyone but whenever I watch us play, we just don't look like a football team. I don't believe Borini or Allen are inferior to the players the other clubs in the bottom half have either so while we've not exactly signed world beaters, I don't think we've signed terrible players.

I personally don't believe in that bullshit that "players need to gel" because I, for one, believe good players will adapt quickly to their teammates' way of playing. I play alot of football and granted I'm no professional but whenever I play with someone new who is good, it feels as though we've played together for a long time. Also, I don't believe that it is easy to just tell a group of players to play a certain way.

I know it's just one game of the season and we should not hit the panic button (as Stevie said) but like I stated above, why do other teams turn up and still look pretty good for a first game of the season, with a new manager and with new players. I'm just very concerned to why this has been happening to us and it's been going on for far too long.

So what is going on with the club?

No way in the world would the west brom game have finished 3-0 if it had a decent Ref.

full credit to west brom they had home advantage but we could of buried them if we had a striker, or suarez took his easy chances.

Swansea have a philosophy that evolved from Martinez to Rodgers.. so we are just seeing an inform team from last season against an out of form team lacking players in central midfield. they owe some of that 5-0 as credit to Rodgers in my opinion. we will see how well they last as Laudrup's philosophy takes shape.

i'm not gonna knee jerk after one game where we had dodgy decisions. lets see what happens sunday against the best team in the premiership
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: Aug 23, 2012 02:46:26 pm
      Hey guys, I know I've not posted for awhile now.....

I thought your trip to old toilet had finally turned you to the dark side. :P
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #15: Aug 23, 2012 03:05:16 pm
      I thought your trip to old toilet had finally turned you back to the dark side.

Fixed.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #16: Aug 23, 2012 03:13:00 pm
      Some patience required here methinks.  ;)
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #17: Aug 23, 2012 03:19:33 pm
      Not happy with how the team played last time, however we can do much better. We have a solid team defensively. All we need is our wingers to click so that suarez can concentrate on scoring rather than putting all his energy into creating chances for himself.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Aug 23, 2012 03:21:43 pm
      This thread lined up nicely for the game this evening.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Aug 23, 2012 03:31:15 pm
      Transition.

That's it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Aug 23, 2012 03:44:03 pm
      I don't believe anyone knows what is really going on (not even Brendan) just yet, and probably not for another few games to come.

Once the transfer window is closed and we know just what our options are we will be a little closer and once we have played a few more games we can assess how the season is likely to go.

Until then I think it is just a case of "suck it and see" and hope for the best.

I still believe we need a top striker, still believe that tika taki is not an answer in and of itself, and that we need CL football sooner rather than later, but much too early to moan and groan overmuch about performances...... I'll save that for later too :)   
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Aug 23, 2012 04:00:17 pm
      There's too many of you crying

You see, war is not the answer

Oh, you know we've got to find a way
      To bring some understanding here today

Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan