Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool vs Manchester City 26th August - KO 16:00 pre-match thread

Read 15398 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Liverpool vs Manchester City pre-match thread
      Reply #23: Aug 24, 2012 05:35:41 pm
      If I remember correctly, we played that game with a flat 4-4-2 with Torres & N'Gog up front, both who are number 9's. We had Stevie in CM after he was so used to playing as a 10, and had Agger LB.

That was the day i really realised that 4-4-2 was dead. City had 3 in midfield and ran the show. We made Milner look like a world beater too.

You remember correctly - Woy set the team up how he sets up every team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Aug 24, 2012 05:37:03 pm
      Going to be very worried if we start Carra, especially having to deal with Tevez, the days where he would keep him quiet all game are gone. Need a vast improvement from against Hearts or we will be in for a long match!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2012 05:42:56 pm
      If I remember correctly, we played that game with a flat 4-4-2 with Torres & N'Gog up front, both who are number 9's. We had Stevie in CM after he was so used to playing as a 10, and had Agger LB.

That was the day i really realised that 4-4-2 was dead. City had 3 in midfield and ran the show. We made Milner look like a world beater too.

And Adam Johnson. I thought it was a case of both players blooming. And then you look back and you think - we were so sh*t that we got raped by Milner and Johnson. It was humiliating and certainly one of the worst defeats I have ever suffered as a Liverpool fan. In fact it was probably the worst. It was literally just days into Hodgson's career but deep down I knew it was already over and that the time bomb to his sacking was set. The tactics were appallingly primitive and it showed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2012 05:51:54 pm
      Give it a few weeks and we may be talking about Hodgson and the good ol' days :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2012 06:10:39 pm
      Give it a few weeks and we may be talking about Hodgson and the good ol' days :D

Let's hope not!

I don't want to be called as having blind faith in Rodger's but I definitely have faith in Rodger's in his fairly progressive and modern style in a way no one ever had with Hodgson. I guess if I was to put it in an analogy Rodger's style is very radical to us at the moment in a way that riding a bike without stabilisers is as a toddler. You know you're going to fall and fall hard at times. But the secret as ever to riding a bike is resolve and to keep at it. That's why Liverpool has to keep at it and we're only at the beginning so I'd certainly expect more days like last Saturday, as Brendan himself noted.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #28: Aug 24, 2012 06:16:59 pm
      Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Coates, Enrique; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Suarez, Carroll, Sterling.

Time for Raheem to start in the league IMO. Remember Oxlade-Chamberlain starting for Arsenal against a big team at home as his first league start and he had a top, top game. Sterling could follow suit and I think he'd quite fancy lining up against Zabaleta.

Wonder if Downing might play left back too if Enrique is out?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #29: Aug 24, 2012 06:27:08 pm
      Let's hope not!

I don't want to be called as having blind faith in Rodger's but I definitely have faith in Rodger's in his fairly progressive and modern style in a way no one ever had with Hodgson. I guess if I was to put it in an analogy Rodger's style is very radical to us at the moment in a way that riding a bike without stabilisers is as a toddler. You know you're going to fall and fall hard at times. But the secret as ever to riding a bike is resolve and to keep at it. That's why Liverpool has to keep at it and we're only at the beginning so I'd certainly expect more days like last Saturday, as Brendan himself noted.

I will be honest (and I hope no one takes this as knocking Brendan) I have no more faith in Brendan than in any other manager we might have appointed. I don't believe ANY system is so good that it will work without the right players and I don't believe Tiki taki is guaranteed to bring success any more than pass and move or any other system you care to mention. For any system to work you need the right players, or rather in my view you need the right system to bring the best out of the players you do have.

Brendan wasn't my first choice of manager...... not even in my top 5, but he has my support just the same as any manager we appointed would have. I think we have to be patient but we also need to see progress too. I think he has been exemplary in his attitude and most of the the things he has said, but actions speak louder than words and sooner or later we need to see some real progress. I am confident we will.   

Sorry mods this should probably have gone in the Brendan thread.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Aug 24, 2012 06:27:31 pm
      Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Coates, Enrique; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Suarez, Carroll, Sterling.

Time for Raheem to start in the league IMO. Remember Oxlade-Chamberlain starting for Arsenal against a big team at home as his first league start and he had a top, top game. Sterling could follow suit and I think he'd quite fancy lining up against Zabaleta.

Wonder if Downing might play left back too if Enrique is out?

It'll be Kelly right back and Johnson left back won't it mate?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #31: Aug 24, 2012 06:30:37 pm
      It'll be Kelly right back and Johnson left back won't it mate?

Probably, just wondered if there might be something more to it after we played Downing there last night. Much prefer Johnson on the right which is why I'd like to see someone else at LB.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #32: Aug 24, 2012 08:05:09 pm
      Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Carragher
      Enrique

Gerrard
      Lucas
      Allen

Suarez
      Carroll
      Borini

Subs; Jones, Kelly, Coates, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing, Sterling**

** I think we'll see Assaidi on the bench too, but It would be hard to drop Sterling from the squad after his recent good form.

I would think it would either be Hendo or Sterling who drops out for him.

I'd go with Carra at the back, just for his experience, although i'd like to see Coates in there ahead of him.

Also I'd stick Carroll up front for his power and presence.

This will be a tough game but I can see us winning 1-0, with Suarez grabbing the only goal.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2012 08:15:59 pm by ThePushForFourth »
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #33: Aug 24, 2012 08:14:53 pm
      I would not be surprised if Coates got in the starting 11. Carra played the whole game at Hearts and at 34 will need time to recover...

And Carroll will not start. He will likely come in as a sub and score...

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Coates
      Enrique

Gerrard
      Lucas
      Allen

Assaidi
      Suarez
      Borini

Subs; Jones, Kelly, Carra, Henderson, Downing, Sterling, Carroll.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #34: Aug 24, 2012 08:22:10 pm
      I'm in the Kop for this one and i'm going for a 2-1 for us.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Aug 24, 2012 08:30:06 pm
      Be doin well to get a draw. Trying this new system/style, we'll make mistakes initially (at the back), and Citeh have the guys to punish errors ... very quick up front. Mancini is starting to impress me more, playing the game, saying LFC are title contenders etc, and they're starting to get the knack of digging out wins.
      Can't imagine we'll keep a clean sheet, so need to score more down the other end :) And much as I'd like to see us do that, it's hard to see where they'll come from. Suarez though could hit a purple patch and nic two! Or Rodgers could play Carroll and go for a hybrid/directish type game, but doubt it - think he's still hoping to offload him before the deadline.
      Just think this game is comin a bit early for us. But you never know, we could raise our game. But for me Citeh hold the cards.
      Absolutely looking forward to it though, first BIG game of the season :)  CMON THE REDS!!!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Liverpool vs Manchester City 26th August - KO 16:00 pre-match thread
      Reply #36: Aug 24, 2012 10:01:58 pm
      Cant wait for this! Will be shouting and singing the team on from the back of the Kop.

Happy with a draw..no chance..lets beat the Champions Redmen!!!!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Aug 24, 2012 11:10:43 pm
      Can't see Carroll starting. My preferences in parentheses:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Carra (Coates)
      Enrique

Lucas
      Allen
      Gerrard

Downing (Suarez)
      Suarez (Borini)
      Borini (Sterling)

I hope the midfield is ready. Lucas' best game last year was City at home in the league. He absolutely dominated that one.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #38: Aug 24, 2012 11:13:40 pm
                       Reina
      Johnson  Srktel     Coates   Enrique
                     Lucas     Allen
      Downing        Gerrard       Borini
                             Suarez

If we are under the cosh Bring Carroll on.Wonder will Assaidi get a run  ???out tomorrow looking forward to seeing him,Going for a 2-1 Suarez and Stevie  >:D >:D

Liverpool vs Manchester City Press Conference - Brendan Rodgers - 24/08/12
      ScouserScott
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2012 12:09:04 am
      Key to stopping City is stopping Silva and Toure's runs from deep! Think we have the players to combat this in Gerrard and Lucas, yet again just don't see where the goals will come from!
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2012 12:35:41 am
      Cant wait for this, lets give everyone something to smile about. I want a win, but its going to be tough. I want a performance more than anything and i think it will be a score draw.

I think the lineups would be:

Pepe

Johnson    Carra      Skrtel      Enrique
                        Lucas 
                                       Allen
                              Gerrard
      Suarez                                     Downing
                               Carroll

Vs.

Tevez       
      Nasri                                          Balotelli
                                Silva
              Rodwell             Yaya Toure
      Kolarov     Kompany      Lescott      Clichy

Hart

I can see Suarez getting some joy down the left, especially if Gerrard scooches over to the side and has Johnson behind him (depending if Enrique fit) for some quick pass and move. I also think Tevez will be too hot to handle for Carra (:() hence going for 1:1. Just hope we subdue Toure, hes the keystone for them, hope Lucas has a blinder and gets stuck in with Allen to mop up after him. Will be very tough and we need to put in the best performance of the summer to even get a point.

Edit  - PS. Mods - the timers out we play Sunday.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2012 12:58:26 am
      I'll start again then.................... .....

Can't see anything but a roasting if we continue with this new system. Not conquered it yet and to play it against the better sides will be suicidal. We need to play to our players strengths against city and we will be good for a draw, possibly a win, but to try and play something the players are not yet comfortable with will be a big mistake. Think Brendan needs to be a bit more flexible, and not so single minded, until every one adjusts.
      Also, if he brings Carroll on as he did against WBA, at least give him 25 mins to get into the game, 10 is just taking the piss. It may also benefit us if the left and right wide players, played on the their favoured side if things aren't working out on their 'wrong' side. When you have to cut inside to be on your strongest foot becomes predictable, it's so easy to counter. We need to mix it up a bit more to give the opposition a little more to think about. Don't think Brendan will change though and unfortunately,can only see us getting beat.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #42: Aug 25, 2012 01:22:33 am
      Had a ticket for this game but may have to give it up as my shopfitters are 5 days behind schedule and I need to project manage the whole sh*t it's caused.

Any road.....hope we win in any form as it looks pretty depressing where we are even though we played one game.

Going for a 3-2 win.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #43: Aug 25, 2012 01:49:11 am
      Not sure if it has been mentioned but the countdown timer at the bottom is out by 25 hours, going off that we play at 3pm Saturday.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #44: Aug 25, 2012 02:11:28 am
      I can't remember the last time that expectations for a new season were as low as they apparently are this one. FFS we are Liverpool, we are at home, we should be expecting to win EVERY F***ing game at home. We may not always win them...... But we should be expecting to win them!

All the people that think we will lose or draw this game, give your heads a wobble, we have not sunk so low that we can't beat ANY team at Anfield. If we can't believe we can and will win how can we expect the team to?   
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #45: Aug 25, 2012 03:47:13 am
      Sorry saint but its a bit of realism. I hope we win but just cant see it we just are not clinical enough in my opinion. I think this will be a poor season but i expect it and i hope brendan is givin alot more time than kenny because success takes time under a new regime.

Quick Reply