Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Bit of a pity

Read 5736 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Bit of a pity
      Aug 26, 2012 07:19:47 pm
      Watching today's and watching a young Sterling dominate, a 15m player in Allen and the increasingly present Jonjo playing I looked sadly at the bench.

Perhaps not worth of a thread itself but:

Adam         7m = Not even on the bench = Does not fit in this style
      Dowining   20m= Bench (did not play)     = I'd rather have Joe Cole @ 90k because at least Joe looks like he gives sh*te
      Hendo       16m = Bench (did not play)     = Getting shown up by Jonjo and getting further pushed down with the addition of Sahin
      Carroll       35m = Bench (15 minutes)      = I like Andy a lot but 35m for 15 minutes of play every other match.

78,000,000 on 15 minutes worth of playing time = unbelievable

To bad PL clubs don't get a transfer mulligan once a decade because we sure as hell would use it now.   
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Bit of a pity
      Reply #1: Aug 26, 2012 07:24:30 pm
      I'd be interested to see if Henderson might get a chance to partner Allen in the middle. He's more of a mid anyway. And with slightly more attacking instincts, might complement Allen better than Lucas. Who knows. Still very early days.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #2: Aug 26, 2012 07:31:13 pm
      I would like to think the first 3 and cole would be sold by Friday,Cant see it happening but i think Downing and Adam are a waste of money,Would give Hendo and Carroll another Season With the cup games and stuff I think today we seen our mangers team,And to be honest with Sahin to come in I don't see hendo getting back into the team unless we have a few injury's.

I personally would like to see andy get a  chance but all the people saying he will go on the last day of the window,If so i hope for at least 20 mill and we get a better replacement then Dempsey.
      78,000,000 on 15 minutes worth of playing time = unbelievable  That makes for some scary reading.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #3: Aug 26, 2012 07:56:44 pm
      AZ, you saying in a subtle way Kenny got it wrong with the signings he made? Because the lads named got us to wembley 3 times winning 1 final and runners up in the 2nd, not bad after 6 year drought.

Yes they may not fit into Rodgers style of play but we are in Europe too where they pay prove to be worth holding on to.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #4: Aug 26, 2012 08:11:11 pm
      AZ, you saying in a subtle way Kenny got it wrong with the signings he made? Because the lads named got us to wembley 3 times winning 1 final and runners up in the 2nd, not bad after 6 year drought.

Yes they may not fit into Rodgers style of play but we are in Europe too where they pay prove to be worth holding on to.

I don't think he's having a go at Kenny. But I think one would hardly doubt that the money was horribly spent. Allen was cheaper than Downing. That pretty much sums it.

Personally, I do think Kenny that if Kenny had any part in those signings, he got it wrong. I can only dream of the team that Rodgers would be building right now had he the kind of money we threw las year.

On the other hand, Kenny reunited us through hard times and lifted the team's spirit like no one else could have. I don't put any part of that in question. But that doesn't change the fact that the signings ere not good.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5: Aug 26, 2012 08:18:35 pm

Not having a go a Kenny, or even the players for that matter (with the exception of Downing) but if that 78m was sold today it would value out at around 30,000,000. All of the players are decent but we so over payed its not funny.

Once again its a sad waste when playing against the league champs on our first home match that all that money (just a year old mind you) contributed 15 minutes to the match.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #6: Aug 26, 2012 08:37:26 pm
      AZ, you saying in a subtle way Kenny got it wrong with the signings he made?

I'm confused, is that some sort of controversial opinion?

I think Kenny got it wrong with the signings.  So what?  you don't have to be subtle about it, it's just an opinion.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #7: Aug 26, 2012 08:45:07 pm
      Those players are decent squad options for a side challenging for the Top 4, the fee's we paid however, were scandalous.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: Aug 26, 2012 09:00:48 pm
      Those players are decent squad options for a side challenging for the Top 4, the fee's we paid however, were scandalous.

Ah.... Nail head... The point ive made all along.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Aug 26, 2012 09:06:47 pm
      Kenny did get them wrong. No use denying it. Waste of massive money the lot of em. Then again had we had CL footie then we could have attracted bigger names.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2012 09:10:17 pm
      Kenny did get them wrong. No use denying it. Waste of massive money the lot of em. Then again had we had CL footie then we could have attracted bigger names.

Yes but when you have a DOF it dilutes the blame and praise... no?

Ok Kenny could turn round to Dc and say, i really like Downing, the Comolli goes away and speaks to his counterpart at Villa who quotes him 20m, if he cant get that down its his responsibility to go to Kenny and say its a no go there is better value out there?

I hate the blame game that goes on now..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2012 09:13:50 pm
      Yes but when you have a DOF it dilutes the blame and praise... no?

Ok Kenny could turn round to Dc and say, i really like Downing, the Comolli goes away and speaks to his counterpart at Villa who quotes him 20m, if he cant get that down its his responsibility to go to Kenny and say its a no go there is better value out there?

I hate the blame game that goes on now..

They were mistakes, both the player and the fee, but why should we dwell on it now? Damien Comolli and Kenny are gone now. We've got Brendan Rodgers now and we must look forward and not dwell on matters from the past.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Aug 26, 2012 09:16:01 pm
      They were mistakes, both the player and the fee, but why should we dwell on it now? Damien Comolli and Kenny are gone now. We've got Brendan Rodgers now and we must look forward and not dwell on matters from the past.

Im not dwelling, im discussing, dont jump on me for passing comment... If you read my posts you know ive moved on, but that doesnt mean i wont comment.

And price yes... But player? who knows? Id still bet Henderson will have a future..
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #13: Aug 26, 2012 09:37:37 pm
      Good thread. Was thinking the same. It's a shame we payed so much for them and now we couldn't even get half of that 78m.
      I don't blame Kenny, I blame that b*****d Comolli who looks like a f***** con artist.

Wouldn't be surprised if in few years time he goes to court charged of taking bribe for inflating players prices or something like that...
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2012 09:53:09 pm
      I like to see hendo go out on loan just a thought because i cant see him playing much.
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2012 10:05:53 pm
      Whoever sanctioned those transfers let the club down, We were all disappointed with the dealings last year even before they'd played. But, it's important we continue to support them anyway if that's who we're stuck with for the season. Brendan seems to have a much better eye for players already though.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2012 02:27:48 am
      We'll never know what the real proportion of transfer decision-making should be split between Kenny & Damien for those players. It's not going to do us any good to keep dwelling on it. Both men tried their best for the club. And obviously we owe Kenny so much for everything he's done since he arrived decades ago.

It's probably best now to ignore what those players cost then and concentrate instead on their current value. Look at Carroll as a 12-15M striker, and so on with the others. If we can sell them and recoup some of what we paid, great. If not, let's cheer them on as they are still part of the LFC family, as long as they are giving their best effort.

I may get frustrated with players sometimes, but I'll never boo them unless they aren't working hard and trying their best. All we can ask is for them to give 100% effort.     
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2012 04:17:20 am
      Rodgers has been managing for about 20 consecutive years. He has honed his style and is now going to bring that style to Liverpool. Allen and Borini are going to adapt to this very quickly because they have worked with Rodgers and know what he wants.

When Kenny got his players he had been out of the game, was still working on a game plan and the players bought in did not have the benefit of working with him nor were they familiar with any particular method he wanted to implement.

All this says is that the owners were probably remiss to sanction the spending we spunked on that lot but I don't think Henderson or Carroll are not going to figure. I think they both can become big pluses to this team. Adam maybe on the bench and in some games dependent on scale and injury.

Downing on the other hand is only going to go down as a really..... really....bad piece of business.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Aug 27, 2012 07:37:47 am
      Indeed but why dwell on it?

Why even bring it up in the opening post in fact? Don't answer; I know full well why it was brought up and why it was underpinned by other posters.

But you 'money men' can rest easy; you won't be discussing big money flops for a long time. Is that a good thing? I don't know; I assume it is but as a football fan I'm more concerned about how a player performs than his cost.

None of the players, mentioned, performed... but like someone said earlier on: why dwell on it? 
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #19: Aug 27, 2012 07:43:02 am
      Indeed but why dwell on it?

Why even bring it up in the opening post in fact? Don't answer; I know full well why it was brought up and why it was underpinned by other posters.

But you 'money men' can rest easy; you won't be discussing big money flops for a long time. Is that a good thing? I don't know; I assume it is but as a football fan I'm more concerned about how a player performs than his cost.

None of the players, mentioned, performed... but like someone said earlier on: why dwell on it? 
      Those players are the reason why BR has little money to spend. Kenny's bad decision making has damaged the club significantly.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #20: Aug 27, 2012 08:02:33 am
      Those players are the reason why BR has little money to spend. Kenny's bad decision making has damaged the club significantly.

Wrong on many levels but I'm not getting dragged into it again..

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Aug 27, 2012 08:06:20 am
      And we need reminded because?

Because we need to play a blame game and reminded that the owners are brilliant obviously.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #22: Aug 27, 2012 08:21:52 am
      Wrong on many levels but I'm not getting dragged into it again..

Oh you'll be singing different tune if that signings were made by hodgson.

I'm sure of that.

Quick Reply