Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Gauging reaction.

Read 4538 times
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Re: Gauging reaction.
      Reply #23: Sep 02, 2012 09:09:06 am
      Its not an argument ilikeliverpool so there will be no logic in it.

Its a simple request to gauge reaction.
      Well you argument is that if people are happy with the transfer dealings up until the final day, then FSG have messed up.

There are so many variables to that statement that it's only your opinion and not a straightforward fact, so therefore an argument you are putting forward.

I was happy with the transfer dealings up until the final day apart from the fact we hadn't got a striker in, and i though Maxi should have stayed.

On the final day i was still happy with the transfer dealings, happy that we'd kept Agger, happy that we'd signed a promising young striker, but still unhappy that we hadn't signed a striker.

That doesn't mean i think FSG have messed up.

It would be a good thread if it didn't have the ulterior motive of judging FSG at the end of it.

But it's your thread and i look forward to the results!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #24: Sep 02, 2012 09:09:59 am
      Ignoring 31st August, I'm happy with our defence.  Delighted that we were able to keep Agger and Skrtel.

Midfield I think we are stronger.  It's early days but Joe Allen is proving to be a quality addition.  Looking forward to seeing Nuri Sahin playing for us, another class addition.  I don't think we will miss Lucas anywhere near as badly as we did last season with these two at the club.

Hopefully Borini will develop a partnership with Luis, and I know very little about Assaidi but he sounds a pacey, tricky winger.  Hope he's settles in quickly.  Raheem is already impressing, although we can't over-use him at this stage of his development.

On the out-going players, we have managed to cut the wage bill, which was crucial.  We must now be much closer to living within our means as a club not yet enjoying CL income.

The only disappointing thing is we have only replaced three attacking players with two (Dirk, Maxi and Bellers with Borini and Assaidi).  It was blindingly obvious last season that we were lacking a clinical finisher and that doesn't seem to have changed at the moment.

I'm hoping that we will see more goals from midfield this season.  That would really help take the pressure off Luis, which hopefully will allow him to be more relaxed in front of goal and convert a few more chances.

Overall, I'm happy enough, 7.5/10 up to 30th August.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #25: Sep 02, 2012 09:10:10 am
      I would of preferred to have an option to buy Sahin, if he has a great year he will either go back to Real or probably end up at Chelsea, Man city etc 
      Is there definitely no option? That's a bit rubbish if so.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #26: Sep 02, 2012 09:19:55 am
      I'm not putting forward an argument at all mate, nor representing anything as fact.

The general impession I'm getting is most people were happy until the final day of the window.

General feeling I'm getting is either Ayre or FSG dropped a clanger.

You think I'm that dumb I don't understand there is variables ?

Here's a couple of variables.

Tottenham and Villa both bid more for Dempsey than us.

£2-£3m more, not exactly breaking the bank for a player who wants to join and a player that the manager wants is it ?
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #27: Sep 02, 2012 09:28:28 am
      I'm not putting forward an argument at all mate, nor representing anything as fact.

The general impession I'm getting is most people were happy until the final day of the window.

General feeling I'm getting is either Ayre or FSG dropped a clanger.

You think I'm that dumb I don't understand there is variables ?

Here's a couple of variables.

Tottenham and Villa both bid more for Dempsey than us.

£2-£3m more, not exactly breaking the bank for a player who wants to join and a player that the manager wants is it ?
      I never said you don't understand it. If anyone's dumb on here it's me as i don't get a lot of things put forward by the people in this forum. Maybe there are a lot of in jokes i'm yet to understand. Or maybe you're all just weird - if that's the case there's hope for me fitting in yet...

You're probably right with most of those statements, but i just didn't want this to end up as another FSG bashing thread when it seemed as a good idea for a thread, until you introduced this underlying implication.
      The reason I don't want any one to mention the final day of the window is simple.

If the majority of  people were content with our summers business until the final day of the season then FSG have teally dropped a bollock.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #28: Sep 02, 2012 09:40:44 am
      The Rodgers feel good factor has probably taken my mind away from FSG's total lack of knowledge of how to run a Grade 1 football club.

The way in which we seemed to be operating in the market got my attention though.

Can't quite get my words right so I'll use a made up example:

If a player that the manager really, really wanted and thought could make a huge difference to us on the pitch was available for one day and one day only, but the player who we needed out and off the wage bill to get the other player in was due to leave the week after I don't think the owners would have let the manager get his man just in case the deal to get the man out the next week failed.

Finance BEFORE football everytime, if you want to build a successful club you need to at least take some risks in the market.

The misdemeanors of the day we aren't allowed to talk about has just reminded me of their previous poor decision making. Quite possible that the dealings of the last day has cost them the smokescreen that they had in place.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Sep 02, 2012 09:45:21 am
      By saying this.

The reason I don't want any one to mention the final day of the window is simple.

If the majority of  people were content with our summers business until the final day of the season then FSG have really dropped a bollock.

Is because that's the general feeling I'm getting by the majority of posts and basically wanted to highlight why I didn't want people to be bashing FSG in this thread and just concentrating on what happened before the final day of the transfer window.

I don't want it to turn into a FSG bashing thread as I stated in the opening post.

The whole reason I asked the question was to gauge reaction.

Because if the majority of us were content in our transfer dealings and FSG did indeed drop a bollock whether that be intentionally or unintentionally, then there is the possibility that the relationship between FSG and the fans all though fragile at the minute could be rebuilt.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #30: Sep 02, 2012 10:09:28 am
      I think its in a very fragile state at the moment ,the very fact that they think they can shaft our managers so publicly and get away with it smacks of an arrogance that this club should bot be associated with ,We had to trim the wage bill thats for sure ,but to leave us so bare up front is a right royal fck up, i know clubs have been taking the piss out of us in transfer dealings , and perhaps they wanted to steer away from these type of transfers ,but you have to get the balance right and so far the fckers are failing miserably.
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #31: Sep 02, 2012 11:25:07 am
      There's still a lot to be positive about as said but our squad has definitely been left thin, especially up front.
      I was happy if we had of kept Carroll, (Carroll really wanted to play for us). I'm over the moon that we didn't waste 3 million on Dempsey. Sturridge is a good player but an egotistical ballbeg who didn't want to come so no loss to me.
      I've always felt our salvation lies in youth and won't be bought across the counter.
      Think Sahin and Allen are really good additions.
      With signings that wev'e made and young players coming through, (have really been impressed with Shelvey and Sterling), I'm still optimistic.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #32: Sep 02, 2012 11:33:50 am
      I think you have your answer blood. Everyone seems happy with players in and out.....except not getting another striker. The last day someone let us down...I really dont know who that someone is but everybody went home at 9pm.

Theres a lesson for the club here, don't leave your business until the last day, it makes you pay 35M for a donkey or makes you miss out on targets.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Sep 02, 2012 11:43:43 am
      As soon as they let Carroll go, I made the incorrect assumption we had someone lined up and so still wasn't nervous coming into deadline day.

I didn't think we'd get everything solved in this window though.

Think we need better cover for Reina or at least give Gulacsi some game time.

I like Robinson, but still think he's a year or two away from regular starts, so wanted better back up than switching Johnson over.

Kelly is looking more and more like a CB at RB, Flanagan hasn't overly impressed in the last nine months.

CBs are sorted for now, think we've got a good mix, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Coates and potentially Kelly.

Wouldn't have minded one more body in Midfield either, Zdravko Kuzmanovic would have been a good shout, last year of his contract and can provide cover at RB as well.

Up front/wide positions, I think it's obvious we've left ourselves two players short. 

I expect, at most half of these dealt with in January, the rest by his time next year.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34: Sep 02, 2012 11:53:39 am
      I'm still wondering are stronger or weaker than last season, clearly up front we look weak, but I have more faith in Morgan than most people seem to.
      With Assadi, Allen and Sahin in midfield we look stronger, for the first time in years we look threatening on the wings.
      Can't have any complaints about our defenders, bar a couple of silly mistakes, We are as strong as anyone.
      I guess the deciding factor will be wether or not we can find the goals.

Quick Reply