Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Our squad for now

Read 12442 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Our squad for now
      Aug 31, 2012 11:50:47 pm
      Were all angry, shocked, worried that we sined nobody today. So what we have is what we have until at least January.

Lets have a look and see are things as bad as we think right now or is whats there strong enough to do well in the league while playing in the Europa league and league cup.

Keepers: Reina, Jones, Doni
      Defenders: Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Carra, Agger, Coates, Enrique, Downing, Flanagan, Robinson, Wilson

Defence is well covered unless we have an almighty injury crisis we look ok
      Keepers are a concern. Jones and Doni dont offer enough challenge to Reina who in turn has lost his top form. If he gets it back no worries but he will have to play every game.

Midfield: Lucas, Sahin, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Cole, Gerrard, Shelvey, Serling, Assaidi

Already down Lucas to injury but look to have decent depth here. Wide areas are filled but with enough potential? Sterling will have to be played a lot more then he should and Assaidi needs to get up to pace from day 1.

Stevie G will need to grab his team by the scruff circa05/06 I feel

Forwards: Suarez, Borini, Morgan, Yesil

I think we see where things might fall down. Unless Morgan takes a huge leap and comes in and becomes the 20 goal a season man we will struggle here. Luis isnt a poacher. Borini? Maybe given games through the middle.

Carroll deal looks lunacy now but equally yoou have to wonder had we kept Kuyt to play inthe central role how much better things would be!

Verdict: Will take every man when called upon to do his job and do it well to have any chance. All home games particularly against the weaker teams will need to be won. Maybe just maybe Rodgers will have the golden touch which gets the best from the lads until he can go shopping in January.

Fingers crossed
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Our squad for now
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2012 11:58:48 pm
      Were all angry, shocked, worried that we sined nobody today. So what we have is what we have until at least January.

Lets have a look and see are things as bad as we think right now or is whats there strong enough to do well in the league while playing in the Europa league and league cup.

Keepers: Reina, Jones, Doni
      Defenders: Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Carra, Agger, Coates, Enrique, Downing, Flanagan, Robinson, Wilson

Defence is well covered unless we have an almighty injury crisis we look ok
      Keepers are a concern. Jones and Doni dont offer enough challenge to Reina who in turn has lost his top form. If he gets it back no worries but he will have to play every game.

Midfield: Lucas, Sahin, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Cole, Gerrard, Shelvey, Serling, Assaidi

Already down Lucas to injury but look to have decent depth here. Wide areas are filled but with enough potential? Sterling will have to be played a lot more then he should and Assaidi needs to get up to pace from day 1.

Stevie G will need to grab his team by the scruff circa05/06 I feel

Forwards: Suarez, Borini, Morgan, Yesil

I think we see where things might fall down. Unless Morgan takes a huge leap and comes in and becomes the 20 goal a season man we will struggle here. Luis isnt a poacher. Borini? Maybe given games through the middle.

Carroll deal looks lunacy now but equally yoou have to wonder had we kept Kuyt to play inthe central role how much better things would be!

Verdict: Will take every man when called upon to do his job and do it well to have any chance. All home games particularly against the weaker teams will need to be won. Maybe just maybe Rodgers will have the golden touch which gets the best from the lads until he can go shopping in January.

Fingers crossed

It's possible that we might see Ngoo this year also, by many accounts he is better than Morgan.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2012 12:16:43 am
      Very disappointed with transfer deadline day, I expected at least one player here. Our attack looks highly concerning and I can see us making a step back in this area, compared to our last season (Suarez, Carroll, Bellamy).

I am surprised that Rodgers and co had no alternatives for Dempsey and did not find a possible replacement for him before the transfer window closed. However, I really hope this will be enough and that we will offer a lot in midfield since we are stronger in that area now.

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2012 12:17:29 am
      BR stated that both Morgan and Yesil arent first team material just yet.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2012 12:24:48 am
      BR stated that both Morgan and Yesil arent first team material just yet.

That could of course change in the next few weeks/months out of necessity rather than anything else.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2012 12:25:40 am
      That could of course change in the next few weeks/months out of necessity rather than anything else.

We have problems if we are having to rely on two players who have played 3 senior games between them
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2012 12:27:38 am
      It seems like the goal of the window was to get rid of the deadwood from previous years, very disappointed to see Carroll loaned out than not bring in a new striker. Also thought that getting rid of Adam that Spearing would of been kept with the club as cover but he was loaned out.

The squad is pretty thin numbers wise which will worry a lot of fans, with the Europa League this year we are going to be playing a good number of games  and unless we have a miracle season in terms no one gets serious injury I can see a few of the young players getting some games in during the season.

I have to think as far as senior players go this is one of the smallest squads we have had in years and one of the youngest as well.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2012 12:33:12 am
      Maybe just maybe Rodgers will have the golden touch which gets the best from the lads until he can go shopping in January.
      Will we be going shopping Brian, is the real question .If we haven't got it now chances are we won't have it in 5 months time .
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2012 12:39:00 am
      Still struggling to comprehend today's failure to bring in another forward and i'm struggling to see how the front positions are going to be staffed. We're an injury to Suarez away from our entiure season being down the swanny. That's the truth of it. And i'm not the biggest fan of the Europa League but i'm pretty certain Rodgers didn't plan on having to use the likes of Morgan, Ngoo and Yesil in this competition and i've got no idea how he will look to manage the Christmas period.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #9: Sep 01, 2012 12:44:43 am
      We have problems if we are having to rely on two players who have played 3 senior games between them

Indeed we do, but injuries and/or suspensions may leave us with no choice.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #10: Sep 01, 2012 12:49:45 am
      Only thing I can think of is that today's dealings (or lack of) secures the move of Gerrard to move into the front 3.   Sure as fook he can't run like he did last night every game playing in the middle.  He'll retire by Christmas if that's the case.

Unfortunately now with our numbers in the squad depleted even more, i think we'll have to say goodbye to the Europa League.  No way can we play the amount of games (League, Europa, League Cup, FA Cup) and expect such a small squad to be able to cope.  Right now  (With Lucas and Cole injured) we've got 16 legit outfield first team players.  We are thinner than we've every been.  We are one or two injuries away from being completely fu**ed.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #11: Sep 01, 2012 01:43:32 am
      I thought about what happened today or what did NOT happen today.

I would not be the bit surprised if Samed Yesil was made the 3rd striker in our squad. I think he is better than any other young striker we have in our youth, Adam Morgan included. He will have to prove himself in the youth squad first but I can see him graduate within the next few weeks...
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 01, 2012 01:52:08 am
      Look to see Suso and a few other youth players used in Europa. Our squad is looking shallow why would you sell Pacecho and loan Spearing just puts us under pressure for no gain . Both are on low wages.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #13: Sep 01, 2012 02:10:32 am
      borini and suarez are our strikers. what happened? BR knew we only had three strikers and loaned AC out. something is obviously very wrong at the club. we are weaker than ever while clubs like sunderland, fulham, everton and newcastle continue to build..
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #14: Sep 01, 2012 02:11:31 am
      Look to see Suso and a few other youth players used in Europa. Our squad is looking shallow why would you sell Pacecho and loan Spearing just puts us under pressure for no gain . Both are on low wages.

I thought Pacheco deal did not go through...?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Sep 01, 2012 02:39:21 am
      2011-2012                                                                      2012-2013

Johnson - Skrtel- Agger - Enrique                    Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique

Henderson-Adam-Gerrard-Downing                         Sahin -  Allen - Gerrard

Carroll        Suarez                                 Borini        Suarez     Sterling

Bench:                                                                Bench:

Bellamy  (6 league goals)                                   Downing
      Kuyt  (2 league goals)                                        Henderson
      Maxi  (4 league goals)                                        Assaidi
      Coates                                                                Coates
      Carrager                                                             Carragher
      Kelly                                                                    Kelly
      Shelvey                                                               Shelvey
      Doni                                                                    Jones
      Lucas (injured)                                                    Lucas (injured)

Looks to me like a better starting XI and we swapped the bench with speed and youthful energy vs. experienced and older legs
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #16: Sep 01, 2012 02:53:25 am
      Hey AZ.  As a fellow Yank I say in the words of Keyshawn Johnson.   

C'mon Man.

We have barely enough first teamers to fill the bench.  Today made no sense without bringing in some replacements.  Today was a complete clusterfuck.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Sep 01, 2012 03:06:20 am
      Hey AZ.  As a fellow Yank I say in the words of Keyshawn Johnson.   

C'mon Man.

We have barely enough first teamers to fill the bench.  Today made no sense without bringing in some replacements.  Today was a complete clusterfuck.

Not saying we shouldn't have bought a striker but the starting XI has an opportunity to be much better than last years.

Our bench?

Other than Assadi/Maxi   Downing/Kuyt      Henderson/Bellamy its the exact same bench as last year  Shelvey/Kelly/Carra/Coates/Lucas (injury)

All I was saying is to do better than last years squad we need to find a replacement for the 12 league goals that Maxi/Kuyt/Bellers gave us, hopefully Sterling/Assadi/Henderson/Downing can do that.

The starting XI is stronger the bench is a bit weaker (as far as we know).

We have not improved from last year but I hardly see a collapse coming.
      Bier
      Reply #18: Sep 01, 2012 03:15:51 am
      We need to find far more than a replacement for those 12 goals, as we were already short on goals last season to begin with. Kuyt had an awful season, 2 goals when he scored 13 the season before. Maxi was short on goals too. Henderson and Downing aren't going to provide us goals, and Sterling and Assaidi are more creators than goalscorers. We might not collapse, but ending in 8th spot again isn't exactly acceptable either. At this point the only way we'll be better than last season is if Suarez or Borini suddenly start becoming clinical finishers.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #19: Sep 01, 2012 03:18:08 am
      Not saying we shouldn't have bought a striker but the starting XI has an opportunity to be much better than last years.

Our bench?

Other than Assadi/Maxi   Downing/Kuyt      Henderson/Bellamy its the exact same bench as last year  Shelvey/Kelly/Carra/Coates/Lucas (injury)

All I was saying is to do better than last years squad we need to find a replacement for the 12 league goals that Maxi/Kuyt/Bellers gave us, hopefully Sterling/Assadi/Henderson/Downing can do that.

The starting XI is stronger the bench is a bit weaker (as far as we know).

We have not improved from last year but I hardly see a collapse coming.
      We may have a better starting XI.  Barring injuries and bombing out of the cups by playing the Rese... Hmmm Wait.  We don't have a reserve team.  It's youth team and then straight to the first team.   Big step missing there.   The only way we have any chance of making top four this season is having our first XI play all of the league games (And sure as fook hope for no injuries) and having none of the XI-XIV (I hate roman numerals) take part in any cup games.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Sep 01, 2012 03:21:19 am
      We need to find far more than a replacement for those 12 goals, as we were already short on goals last season to begin with. Kuyt had an awful season, 2 goals when he scored 13 the season before. Maxi was short on goals too. Henderson and Downing aren't going to provide us goals, and Sterling and Assaidi are more creators than goalscorers. We might not collapse, but ending in 8th spot again isn't exactly acceptable either. At this point the only way we'll be better than last season is if Suarez or Borini suddenly start becoming clinical finishers.

Don't disagree Bier, perhaps we should of kept Aqulani for the midfield an spent Allen's on a striker.

The whole Carroll debacle is another story.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #21: Sep 01, 2012 03:27:27 am
      2011-2012                                                                      2012-2013

Johnson - Skrtel- Agger - Enrique                    Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique

Henderson-Adam-Gerrard-Downing                         Sahin -  Allen - Gerrard

Carroll        Suarez                                 Borini        Suarez     Sterling

Yeah, fine.  But sh*t happens during the course of a season

Borini tweaks a hamstring gonna miss a couple weeks.....
      Suarez got a red card (out 3 games).......
      or  we got 3 games in 10 days, someone's gonna need a rest.

Now what do we do?

We are just too thin up front.

I agree and for 2 million , it would not have been.  Not another 5 or 10 or 15 mil.   We're talking 2

Or simply keep Carroll until we sign a replacement. Not a difficult concept.

Imagine we had Carroll AND Dempsey.  Now that would have been some nice depth.

I just think we are really going to struggle to score goals,  even more than last year.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Sep 01, 2012 03:38:45 am
      Yeah, fine.  But sh*t happens during the course of a season

Borini tweaks a hamstring gonna miss a couple weeks.....
      Suarez got a red card (out 3 games).......
      or  we got 3 games in 10 days, someone's gonna need a rest.

Now what do we do?

We are just too thin up front.

I agree and for 2 million , it would not have been.  Not another 5 or 10 or 15 mil.   We're talking 2

Or simply keep Carroll until we sign a replacement. Not a difficult concept.

Imagine we had Carroll AND Dempsey.  Now that would have been some nice depth.

I just think we are really going to struggle to score goals,  even more than last year.

Not disagreeing I am shocked we did not get Dempsey and even more so that we loaned Andy without having cover in place. My comparison of the starting XI was for the inevitable asset stripping  theory sure come out of this.

Not implying at all that we made progress this window as a whole.

Would like to have 100 million on the bench if it were up to me, but it's not. In lieu of that I guess I will be more excited to see a Morgan/Assadi/Sterling coming in then Kuyt and Maxi.
      Bier
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2012 03:39:33 am

Don't disagree Bier, perhaps we should of kept Aqulani for the midfield an spent Allen's on a striker.

The whole Carroll debacle is another story.

Well, I do think that if beforehand we knew we had so little money to spend and so many positions to fill it might have been smarter to have been more creative with our spending. That type of fee is a bit hard to justify when after that you need to fill your other positions with loans. But, at the same time Allen is a brilliant player obviously, might become our best player this season even. But considering Brendan also sees this as a long term project, getting back in the top 4 in the next few seasons, I might have gone for more but cheaper talents from the get go instead. In a way it's weird that Brendan didn't go after more cheap targets, I expected him to know plenty having just been Swansea manager.

I don't know though, it's all just speculating. The owners are obviously cramping Brendan's style too to an extend. And not sure I can even blame them. Considering what they spend on Carroll, and now he's send out on loan. I can't imagine it's their choice he's send on loan. That's alot of money pissed down the drain, can't feel good.

But we're going to have to make the best of it now. I do have confidence Brendan can do that, get the best out of them. I'm just afraid the team doesn't have as much potential as I'd like.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2012 03:47:15 am
      Well, I do think that if beforehand we knew we had so little money to spend and so many positions to fill it might have been smarter to have been more creative with our spending. That type of fee is a bit hard to justify when after that you need to fill your other positions with loans. But, at the same time Allen is a brilliant player obviously, might become our best player this season even. But considering Brendan also sees this as a long term project, getting back in the top 4 in the next few seasons, I might have gone for more but cheaper talents from the get go instead. In a way it's weird that Brendan didn't go after more cheap targets, I expected him to know plenty having just been Swansea manager.

I don't know though, it's all just speculating. The owners are obviously cramping Brendan's style too to an extend. And not sure I can even blame them. Considering what they spend on Carroll, and now he's send out on loan. I can't imagine it's their choice he's send on loan. That's alot of money pissed down the drain, can't feel good.

But we're going to have to make the best of it now. I do have confidence Brendan can do that, get the best out of them. I'm just afraid the team doesn't have as much potential as I'd like.

Damn reasonable post, and like you say I guess time will tell.

One thing people have wanted for a while is to give the youngsters a chance, think we are going to see that in spades, hopefully what Rafa built there will give us some unexpected returns.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2012 04:18:23 am
      We are pretty thin this year, but its not like we were F***ing thick with talent last year. Looking at all the players that left and came in, I honestly think we improved the squad this summer. Still a ways to go, as I think our starting XI can compete with any in the prem but we just aren't anywhere near the depth. Hopefully guys stay healthy, because we'll need it.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2012 05:14:37 am
      The one thing we needed more than most from last year - a goalscorer - is the thing we didn't even seem close to getting.  It's funny that the one player that people are angry/dismayed/disappointed we didn't get, Dempsey, was not everyones cup of tea anyway when he was first linked.

However, with those who left and those who have come in I think we are a stronger squad than last year.  I also think that if we have to rely on youngsters, I would rather that was in the front 3 than the middle 3.  One thing about BR is he will choose players on merit and seems prepared to give players a chance. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2012 05:24:03 am
      We better get signing some more U21 players.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2012 07:06:50 am
      Our squad is better than many think. We dominated the champions of England and were unlucky not to win without the contribution of: Agger, Lucas, Assaidi, Sahin & with a misfiring Suarez!
      I believe there are reasons to be optimistic once those lads get onto the field playing, and in terms of strikers we have Assaidi, Sterling, Suarez, Borini & Morgan (three of which can play centre-forward). And who knows, we may see Gerrard playing up front as some suggest.
      I'll stay optimistic . .
      IBWT
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2012 07:18:52 am
      Our squad is better than many think. We dominated the champions of England and were unlucky not to win without the contribution of: Agger, Lucas, Assaidi, Sahin & with a misfiring Suarez!
      I believe there are reasons to be optimistic once those lads get onto the field playing, and in terms of strikers we have Assaidi, Sterling, Suarez, Borini & Morgan (three of which can play centre-forward). And who knows, we may see Gerrard playing up front as some suggest.
      I'll stay optimistic . .
      IBWT
      At last some optimistic! We are fu**ed up but we need to continueour duty to support the same.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #30: Sep 01, 2012 07:25:20 am
      Slightly concerned we didn't get anybody in, fact is tho Carroll had to go.

His value would have only gone down further if he stayed so when he did go we in theory would have even less to get a replacement. Now he's gone hopefully he'll have a good season and we can still get a decent amount for him.

Re Dempsey I wasn't a massive fan and if Fulham accepted Villa's but not ours and they were they same then I'm glad we didn't get him. We shouldn't pay more just because they think we have more money.

Like someone has mentioned I think this means Stevie is one of the front 3, plus Downing would be as well if required so there's 5 players for 3 positions. Goal wise tho if BR has said we need at least 70 goals for at least  4th then I think we're going to struggle :(
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #31: Sep 01, 2012 07:35:01 am
      Based on only a single goal against Hearts with Gerrard, Suarez, Borini playing, I think our strikeforce will struggle.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2012 08:01:07 am
      I personally would,nt be against playing Gerrard through the middle, or the false No 9 as they tend to call it these days. As it stands hes playing just behind the front 3 but if we have to use the squad that we,ve got I,m sure Henderson or Cole could play that spot. That would have the 1st 11 looking like this :
                                   Riena

Johnson     Skrtle               Agger           Enrique

Allen               Sahin

Henderson   

Suarez                    Borini

Gerrard

Gerrard has bucket loads of goals in him. This could be an option if we do get some injuries but we have what we have until January. I,m not apposed to using Adam Morgan or the new boy. They are young but we did it with Owen when he was here.       
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #33: Sep 01, 2012 08:05:13 am
      I personally would,nt be against playing Gerrard through the middle, or the false No 9 as they tend to call it these days. As it stands hes playing just behind the front 3 but if we have to use the squad that we,ve got I,m sure Henderson or Cole could play that spot. That would have the 1st 11 looking like this :
                                   Riena

Henderson   

Gerrard

Gerrard has bucket loads of goals in him. This could be an option if we do get some injuries but we have what we have until January. I,m not apposed to using Adam Morgan or the new boy. They are young but we did it with Owen when he was here.       

Not bad at this point but I myself would have Jonjo in there versus Hendo.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #34: Sep 01, 2012 08:26:02 am
                                   Riena

Henderson   

Gerrard

That's all well and good.  And I agree it's very solid lineup.

But what do we do with injuries and in cup games.  We are so paper thin right now it actually hurts to think about.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #35: Sep 01, 2012 09:32:06 am
      Were no where near as bad as some would make out, in terms of having cover in every position were just about sorted.

I've seen people say were short in left back.

The same people champion Robinson.

I've seen people claim we have no cover at right wing.

The same people want to see Gerrard play there.

The only place we fall short in my opinion is an out and out goal scorer.

That should have been priority yesterday.

Its said Sturridge was approached on loan but only wanted a permanent move.

If that was the case and its who the manager wanted then £15m should have been stumped up, made up of our remaining budget and then some from next years.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #36: Sep 02, 2012 02:20:26 am

Are u saying Stirling hasn't put in a good shift the games he played. Shame some senior players dnt take a leaf out of his book
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2012 04:08:22 pm
      Our goals in premier league so far came from setpieces.
      Showing our strikeforce now struggling.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Sep 04, 2012 04:17:40 pm
                                      1. Jones (HG)
      2. Johnson (HG)
      3. Enrique
      4. Sahin
      5. Agger
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard (HG)
      10. J Cole (HG)
      11. Assaidi
      14. Henderson (HG)
      16. Coates
      19. Downing (HG)
      21. Lucas
      22. D Wilson
      23. Carragher (HG)
      24. Allen
                                    25. Reina
      29. Borini
                                    32. Doni
      34. Kelly (HG)
      37. Skrtel
                                    42. Gulacsi

33. Shelvey
      30. Suso
      31. Sterling
      ??. Pacheco
      ??. Yesil

Looking at that squad there will never be a better time for these youngsters to make a career for themselves here.

Edit:
      Put on the pitch we're currently looking something like this:

Reina

Johnson    Skrtel     Agger    Enrique

Allen       Sahin

Borini          Gerrard        Sterling

Suarez

Bench:

Jones, Kelly, Henderson, Coates, Downing, Carragher, Shelvey.

Gulacsi, Assaidi, Wilson, Suso, Pacheco, Yesil.

Injured:
      Lucas, Cole.

MIA:
      Doni.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012 05:07:13 pm by racerx34 »
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #39: Sep 04, 2012 04:45:41 pm
      Can we not stick Brendan upfront himself?

Brendan Rodgers is a good Striker !
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #40: Sep 04, 2012 04:56:50 pm
      The lack of senior squad members will certainly force Rodgers into picking youth players to bolster the first team. This has (so far) worked well with Stirling, not so well with Morgan (so far). But considering we have a decent number of talented young lads eager to break into the first team it could be a blessing in disguise come the end of the season. We've had an incredibly low number of youth team players make it at senior level in the club over the past decade. This simply has to change for us to become competitive once more as we no longer have financial clout in the transfer market.

It's time to put our young lads to the test, lets see if they can make their mark!
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #41: Sep 04, 2012 05:00:41 pm
      There's a certain Jerome Sinclair who seems to be scoring goals for fun in the under age.

Fancy including him BR????
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #42: Sep 04, 2012 05:03:05 pm
      Any news on Texeira ? Any chance he could be involved ?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #43: Sep 04, 2012 05:03:57 pm
      Look at Stirling these lads should be saying to Brendan give me achance I can do as well as him its up to them this is probably the best time in a generation for young players.
      We have all raved about Pacheco its up to him now and the rest of them to get stuck in and prove to Brendan thet are good enough.
      borinired
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 40 posts |
      Reply #44: Sep 04, 2012 05:06:21 pm
      Should get Del piero for a year hes a free agent.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #45: Sep 04, 2012 05:08:54 pm
      I bet Jamie is a  bit pissed of didn't he used to be a centre Forward?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #46: Sep 04, 2012 10:14:06 pm
      I find it totally unbelievable that we don't have any depth at a recognizable senior striker. It doesn't seem like real life. I know we all wanted that super finisher, but I'd have been more than happy if we had brought in a player like Robert Lewandowski.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #47: Sep 04, 2012 11:15:15 pm
      I find it totally unbelievable that we don't have any depth at a recognizable senior striker. It doesn't seem like real life. I know we all wanted that super finisher, but I'd have been more than happy if we had brought in a player like Robert Lewandowski.

He would be a great signing
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #48: Sep 04, 2012 11:22:47 pm
      There's a certain Jerome Sinclair who seems to be scoring goals for fun in the under age.

Fancy including him BR????

He's 15. I think it maybe be a little too early for him.

I know Ibe reportedly impressed Rodgers and his staff in pre season, while Ngoo has done himself favours with his early season form in the U21s.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #49: Sep 04, 2012 11:43:35 pm
      Hey do the LFC Ladies have any decent forwards?

Just thinking outside the box.  :f_tongueincheek:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #50: Sep 05, 2012 12:44:13 am
      Hey do the LFC Ladies have any decent forwards?

Just thinking outside the box.  :f_tongueincheek:

A couple of them have a great pair up front.  :D :P
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #51: Sep 05, 2012 03:34:54 am

I think someone like Lewandowski (since I doubt Dortmund would have sold) would have been good but not great, you know? Would have been good for maybe 12 goals, which is not quite what we need but would have been better than what had and what we're left with.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #52: Sep 06, 2012 01:18:35 am
      Can we not stick Brendan upfront himself?

Offside!!

Although, I guess when you're the boss at training sessions, you can let it slide occasionally.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #53: Sep 06, 2012 04:26:55 am
      Offside!!

Although, I guess when you're the boss at training sessions, you can let it slide occasionally.

Reminds me of when your playing football as a kid. A new guy arrives and asks can he play but you always say "I dunno, it's not my ball, ask him" :D
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #54: Sep 06, 2012 10:29:17 am
      i get the frustration that people have that there was no striker brought in on deadline day, but some of the striker being mentioned are out of Liverpool's reach. The Llorente's, Lewandowski's or even Cavani's of this world would choose most of the other top teams above coming to Liverpool.

Even if the release clauses were matched, they have CL football, and can offer vastly more wages. Getting hidden gems will have to be the mode of operation.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #55: Sep 08, 2012 07:27:45 pm
      http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=b6b

Sterling    Borini     Suarez

Shelvey

Allen          Gerrard

I'm sure everybody has the same keeper and back four, so i'll skip to midfield.

Gerrard isnt the same player from a few years back, an i'd like to see him playing the "Alonso role". People have said we've never replaced Xabi but the answer was already at our club. It was just Gerrard was awesome behind the front man. But now he's older, i don't think he has it anymore, for a full season anyway. I liked Gerrard a lot for England in the Euro's, think he dictated play and stood out from the rest, still believe our play should run through him but just further back.

Shelvey for me has stood out from anyone appart from Joe Allen, and should be given the chance to start a few games, instead of being on the bench. Showed he had incredible feet against Roma and Arsenal and i'd like to see a lot more of him, probably our most inproved player.

Don't want to comment on Sahin because i haven't seen much of him, an i think he had a real quiet game against Arsenal.

Joe Allen is a beast. Great improvement from last seasons Spearing. Future midfield 3 Allen, Lucas, Shelvey.

Glad to see Sterling given a go, the lads a breath of fresh air and have full confidence in him grabbing his chance with two hands.

My post in the Arsenal game:
      Why not play Borini in the center? ffs. Suarez couldn't hit a barn door, i've seen less scuffs on me work boots.

Just makes more sense to switch these two players. Suarez on the right like for Ajax, creating chances and beating the left back. And Borini having a go center, looks uncomfortable as f**k out wide.

Suarez would probably get more goals too, type of player that can miss sitters but score crazy goals from crazy angles. Even against Gomel when he was played on the left he looked amazing, then every game since hes played center and not cut it.

Just by playing Suarez wide and Borini center, this would fix things up for me, and could be the difference in games like this. Because in all fairness i think people have overreacted to our last performance, we seen a lot of the ball and had some good moments and looked more positive than Arsenal. Just lacking that ruthless aproach in clear cut created chances and finishing.

Couldn't really fault Sterling, he was awesome.

Sterling   Borini    Suarez.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #56: Sep 08, 2012 07:41:06 pm
      With the squad we have i feel Borini should be the vocal point of our attack, he seems so out of place out on the right and Suarez when in the middle always seem to try and do too much.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #57: Sep 08, 2012 07:59:33 pm

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »

So far I havent seen anything in Borini that leads me to believe he will score more the 10 or 12 goals this season in all comps.            

Quote (selected)

Quote from: little-Luis:) on September 04, 2012, 04:45:41 PMCan we not stick Brendan upfront himself?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #58: Sep 08, 2012 08:12:42 pm
      I have, he seems to get in good positions and has just been unlucky not to finish off his chances, i think he deserves a chance in his favorite position to be honest.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #59: Sep 08, 2012 08:57:51 pm
      For us  to score goals we have to play with two
      strikes  we have to give the young boys the
      opportunity
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #60: Jan 07, 2013 11:34:48 am
                                      1. Jones (HG)
      2. Johnson (HG)
      3. Enrique
      4. Sahin
      5. Agger
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard (HG)
      11. Assaidi
      14. Henderson (HG)
      15. Sturridge (HG)
      16. Coates
      19. Downing (HG)
      21. Lucas
      22. D Wilson
      23. Carragher (HG)
      24. Allen
                                    25. Reina
      29. Borini
                                    32. Doni
      34. Kelly (HG)
      37. Skrtel
                                    42. Gulacsi

33. Shelvey
      30. Suso
      31. Sterling
      ??. Pacheco
      ??. Yesil

LIVERPOOL Over 21 Squad:
      Agger, Allen, Assaidi, Carragher, Coates, Downing, Gerrard, Gulacsi, Henderson, Johnson, Jones, Enrique, Kelly, Lucas, Reina, Sahin, Skrtel, Sturridge, Suarez.

U21 Players:
      Borini, Shelvey, Sterling.

We've still got one of the smallest and youngest squads in the Premier League, but it's amazing how much better it looks when you simply replace Cole with Sturridge.

We should have enough trimming done now to allow us to make small changes to the squad in the next few windows and actually strengthening the squad.
      In the summer, rather than seeing a raft of players leave, we could see something as simple as 3 in and 3 out.
      I think we may be seeing the cuts level out. The end of summer mistake has been rectified.

The elephant in the room still being Carroll, Downing and Henderson.
      We've ended up with two expensive squad players and a Record signing sent out on loan.

That said, given a similar spend in the summer, without the wage cull, we should be much stronger next season. *

*Providing we keep the manager and his ethos and don't F**k about again.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #61: Jan 07, 2013 04:27:06 pm
      We still need winger/striker. But our squad is not that bad, Reina - top GK
      Johnson - best RB of the country
      Skrtel and Agger and excellent 3games on 4 at least.
      Enrique is more than decent.
      Lucas is one of the most efficient holding midfielder of the EPL.
      Gerrard is playing like Alonso but with the forward runs and thread as bonus.
      Allen passes like Xavi, Shelvey is some diamond, Suso is another superb prospect and Hendo is a player full of potential just missing some guts.
      Suarez is simpley the EPL's best player by far! And I'm certain of it.
      Sturridge and Borini are future stars shoul they soon score scome goals this season to give a boost to their career.
      Sterling... no comments

*Yesil one of the best prospects in Europe if I'm not wrong.

However we still lack a player who can help us to reach top 4 immediately or at least make us play better by being good enough and constant performance-wise. It seems we're interested in Ince, he's a good prospect but I just hope he has enough talent to shine THIS SEASON and help us. He may be young etc, but he needs to have an impact here.
      I read Newcastle are trying to sign Loic Remy? We should try to get him IMO
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Jan 15, 2013 03:19:52 pm

Doni (33), Gulacsi (22), Jones (30), Reina (30)

Agger (28), Carragher (34), Coates (22), Johnson (28), Enrique (26), Kelly (22), Skrtel (28)

Allen (22), Assaidi (24), Downing (28), Gerrard (32),  Henderson (22), Lucas (26)

Sturridge (23), Suarez (25)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Robinson (19) , Shelvey (20), Sterling (18), Suso (19), Wisdom (19)

15 outfield players (19 including keepers) out of a possible squad of 25 Over 21 players.

There has to be the wages available to bring in one or two quality players.
      Looks like we will gamble again on youth players filling the void until the summer.
      Leaves us hoping that nobody else wants to leave if we are to strengthen.

I suppose if you want to be positive about it you could say that, if this is the squad bottoming out,
      we are in a great position to build for the future.

You could say that, if you expect the teams above us to stand still.
      I'm not so sure anymore.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #63: Jan 15, 2013 03:27:33 pm

Agger (28), Carragher (34), Coates (22), Johnson (28), Enrique (26), Kelly (22), Skrtel (28)

Allen (22), Assaidi (24), Downing (28), Gerrard (32),  Henderson (22), Lucas (26)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Robinson (19) , Shelvey (20), Sterling (18), Suso (19), Wisdom (19)

15 outfield players (19 including keepers) out of a possible squad of 25 Over 21 players.

Looks like we will gamble again on youth players filling the void until the summer.

I suppose if you want to be positive about it you could say that, if this is the squad bottoming out,

I'm not so sure anymore.

Our squad is sooooo thin! :O
      Assaidi is not even playing and Downing is the worst player I've seen  in the red shirt. Vs ManUtd I was telling myself: how is BR expecting to win this game with a 18-year old guy and Downing as wingers!?

Yes we have Borini and Sturridge, but then? We desperately need at least a good winger now. 2 if possible and an AM like Sneijder would be perfect. A  Dm also would help us since Allen is average at DM(not bad) and Lucas is not as good as usual which is quite normal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #64: Jan 15, 2013 03:33:19 pm

U21 Players:

I'm not so sure anymore.

I've been trying to guestimate what our wage bill is now compared to say summer 2011. 

I know some of our senior players have had improved contracts and Sterling, Suso and Wisdom have gone onto pro contracts but it's got to be less than £70m a year now.  Think it was around £130m.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #65: Jan 16, 2013 08:36:53 pm

U21 Players:

I'm not so sure anymore.

You're right Racer... It looks thin it is thin.. And we have to hope that this is the bottoming out position of the squad and that Brendan can add to the side in terms of quality over the next couple of windows with the budget he is given..

We have to work to the situation of two players per position..

So lets look where we are, considering the default 4-3-3 that the manager wants to play

Keepers

Reina
      Jones
      Gulacsi

RBs
      Johnson
      Wisdom
      Kelly

LBs
      Enrique *
      Robinson *

CBs
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Coates!
      Carra *

DMs
      Lucas
      Allen*

Other CMs
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Suso
      Shelvey

Wide Forwards
      Borini
      Downing*
      Assaidi*
      Sterling

Central Striker
      Suarez
      Sturridge

So looking at that we seem to have obvious gaps and certain areas where we need to upgrade the current options and the current options are at threat of a future..
      Left Back is an obviuos one, Robinson looks a talent but for me isnt ready yet and could do with a season away on loan, there are still question marks over Enrique defensivly so you could argue we need to bring in two left backs to the squad..
      Carra isnt going to be around forever and there seems to be question marks over Coates, so that could be deemed as two cbs needed..
      Allen doesnt strike me as a holding midfielder, or really as someone who can play at the highest point of the midfield three, so long run he may be a replacement/rotation in the role Stevie is playing.. And you can argue that Suso and Shelvey can only really play the highest point of the midfield 3 so we need another ball playing cm as an option..
      Wide forward you can still say there are question marks over Downing and Assaidi so potentially two more wide forwards and if you are being greedy another central striking option..

So potentially 8 or 9 players needed for the squad... Thats some work to be done still... If you say desperately to move forward, a lb, cb, cm, dm, wf is still 5 that we need to bring in over the remainder of this window and the summer..

Big work needed from the scouts for me
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: Jan 22, 2013 12:47:13 pm
      OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe
      6 - Liverpool have named three teenagers in their starting XI six times in the PL this season, no other club has done this once. Youth.

Sterling, Suso & Wisdom no doubt.

Sterling: He was 19 times in the starting team, got substituted in 3 times.
      Suso: He was 8 times in the starting team, got substituted in 4 times and stayed on the bench 5 times.
      Wisdom:He was 10 times in the starting team, got substituted in 0 times and stayed on the bench 4 times.

The games in question:

Norwich (Away)
      Stoke (Home)
      Reading (Home)
      Everton (Away)
      Chelsea (Away)
      Wigan (Home)

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2013 01:10:48 pm by racerx34 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #67: Jan 31, 2013 02:34:57 pm
      Gulacsi (22), Jones (30), Reina (30)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Coutinho (20), Shelvey (20), Robinson (19), Suso (19), Wisdom (19), Sterling (18)

18 Over 21 players now.
      15 Over 21 outfield players.

So as far as the registered 25 man squad is concerned we have the smallest squad in the league.

In:
      Sturridge, Coutinho

Out:
      Sahin, Cole, Doni, Pacheco (Loan), Ngoo (Loan), Wilson (Loan)

That wage bill looks boss now.
      Must be ready for a solid build in the summer, mustn't it?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #68: Jan 31, 2013 03:05:22 pm
      I think we'll have a lot to spend in the summer with the TV money. Could see us having a 50m pound spend in the summer. Still think we lack a top quality CB, someone like Howedes. Also think we need a LB, DM, WF, and ST.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #69: Jan 31, 2013 03:11:46 pm
      Only three players over 30 - its a young mans game for sure!

Squad has yet again been trimmed.  I'm a little sad to see that carrying on although lets face it, not like we've got some long cup campaigns ahead.

I look at that squad now and think its the bare bones - probably only Downing I'd be massively keen to offload and get a few bob for.  The summer has got to be about building the squad with genuine quality.

samb2011
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #70: Jan 31, 2013 03:44:25 pm
      We haven't done that bad in this window, buying Sturridge and Coutinho as well as trimming the squad down in a few areas. Summer will be a big transfer window for us with rebuilding the squad and hopefully keeping Reina & Suarez.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #71: Jan 31, 2013 04:28:26 pm
      Only three players over 30 - its a young mans game for sure!

Squad has yet again been trimmed.  I'm a little sad to see that carrying on although lets face it, not like we've got some long cup campaigns ahead.

I look at that squad now and think its the bare bones - probably only Downing I'd be massively keen to offload and get a few bob for.  The summer has got to be about building the squad with genuine quality.

Carroll also. I'd happily take 20m for the pair.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #72: Jan 31, 2013 08:45:05 pm
      That wage bill looks boss now.
      Must be ready for a solid build in the summer, mustn't it?

We hope so Racer. We hope.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #73: Feb 01, 2013 02:15:39 am
      Lucas Gerrard
      Coutinho
      Suarez Sturridge Bellamy

That would have been fantastic.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #74: Feb 01, 2013 05:13:34 am
      Lucas Gerrard
      Coutinho
      Suarez Sturridge Bellamy

That would have been fantastic.

Don't know what BR was thinking letting him go....of course he asked to go...lost his best friend...lost his marriage and was contemplating suicide.....oh well another screw up by the gaffer.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #75: Feb 01, 2013 09:14:51 am
      Would love to see us play with this team using diamond formation. 

Reina

Johnson     Skrtel          Agger          Enrique

Lucas             

Hendo          Gerrard

Coutinho

Sturridge            Suarez

Titanic
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #76: Feb 01, 2013 12:00:08 pm

Luis Suarez --- Daniel Sturridge --- Stewart Downing
      Oussama Assaidi --- Fabio Borini --- Philippe Coutinho
      Raheem Sterling --- Samed Yesil --- Jesus Fernandez Suso

Steven Gerrard
      Jonjo Shelvey
      Krisztian Adorjan

Lucas Leiva --- Joe Allen
      Conor Coady --- Jordan Henderson
      Yalany Baio --- Joao Carlos Teixeira

Jose Enrique --- Daniel Agger --- Martin Skrtel --- Glen Johnson
      Jack Robinson --- Sebastian Coates --- Jamie Carragher --- Martin Kelly
      Brad Smith --- Stephen Sama --- Andre Wisdom --- Jon Flanagan

Jose Reina
      Brad Jones
      Peter Gulasci

On loan: Andy Carroll, Jay Spearing, Dani Pacheco, Danny Wilson, Michael Ngoo, Adam Morgan.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #77: Feb 18, 2013 02:12:54 pm

Agger (28), Carragher (35), Coates (22), Johnson (28), Enrique (26), Kelly (22), Skrtel (28)

Sturridge (23), Suarez (26)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Coutinho (20), Shelvey (20), Robinson (19), Suso (19), Wisdom (19), Sterling (18)

18 (17) Over 21 players now.
      15 (14) Over 21 outfield players.

Injured players.
      Kelly and Borini.

We were due to call up Yesil and Pelosi.
      Both are now out for the season. ACL and broken leg.
      Ngoo and Wilson gone to Hearts.

I know I keep coming back to this but people need to see our squad written down to appreciate we can't keep letting
      so many players go every window.

Carroll
      Spearing
      Pacheco

All three on loan and likely to leave in the summer.

Average age of the squad 25.3.

That drops to 23.9 if Carragher is gone.

We need to keep the core of our squad together and we need to bring in experienced players.

Centre Back
      Left Back
      Midfielder
      Wide forward

That's before we have to replace anyone else who leaves.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: Feb 18, 2013 02:43:34 pm

Agger (28), Carragher (35), Coates (22), Johnson (28), Enrique (26), Kelly (22), Skrtel (28)

U21 Players:

18 (17) Over 21 players now.
      15 (14) Over 21 outfield players.

Injured players.
      Kelly and Borini.

We were due to call up Yesil and Pelosi.
      Both are now out for the season. ACL and broken leg.
      Ngoo and Wilson gone to Hearts.

I know I keep coming back to this but people need to see our squad written down to appreciate we can't keep letting so many players go every window.

Carroll
      Spearing
      Pacheco

All three on loan and likely to leave in the summer.

Average age of the squad 25.3.

That drops to 23.9 if Carragher is gone.

We need to keep the core of our squad together and we need to bring in experienced players.

Centre Back
      Left Back
      Midfielder
      Wide forward

That's before we have to replace anyone else who leaves.

I think it highlights very well how weak our squad is when it's written down like that mate. 

You can't plan for injuries but when you don't even have maximum numbers in the squad in the first place it makes the job even harder.  We lost Kelly and Lucas early on for the season,  Borini now out for the season, Yesil and Pelosi the same.  With Ngoo and Carrol out on loan that's 4 strikers we're without.

Not only will be losing players you've mentioned this summer but as we've already discussed we will need to send quite a few of the U21's out on loan to help their development.

We will still be a work in progress next season but hopefully with a much more settled 1st team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #79: Feb 18, 2013 02:51:47 pm
      I think it highlights very well how weak our squad is when it's written down like that mate. 

You can't plan for injuries but when you don't even have maximum numbers in the squad in the first place it makes the job even harder.  We lost Kelly and Lucas early on for the season,  Borini now out for the season, Yesil and Pelosi the same.  With Ngoo and Carrol out on loan that's 4 strikers we're without.

Not only will be losing players you've mentioned this summer but as we've already discussed we will need to send quite a few of the U21's out on loan to help their development.

We will still be a work in progress next season but hopefully with a much more settled 1st team.

I think we've probably taken the youth development too far.
      I mean that in the sense that it shouldn't blind you to any other options.

We will need some young signings in the summer.
      In fact I've been surprised at the lack of youth signings we've made lately.

There should be a mix though. Coutinho and Sturridge are great signings imo,
      but there is experience needed in the team also.

We seem to address things as they become critical.

1) Massive dead wood and wages - Check
          In the process of addressing that we created two problems.

A) No attacking options.
      B) Lack of experienced heads.

Suarez being on fire might have masked A until we could somewhat address it in January,
      but B hasn't been addressed. I gather that will be the purpose of the summer. Only question
      is, will it be the only thing we need to address or will something else crop up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #80: Feb 18, 2013 02:58:16 pm
      I think we've probably taken the youth development too far.
      I mean that in the sense that it shouldn't blind you to any other options.

We will need some young signings in the summer.
      In fact I've been surprised at the lack of youth signings we've made lately.

There should be a mix though. Coutinho and Sturridge are great signings imo,
      but there is experience needed in the team also.

We seem to address things as they become critical.

1) Massive dead wood and wages - Check
          In the process of addressing that we created two problems.

A) No attacking options.
      B) Lack of experienced heads.

Suarez being on fire might have masked A until we could somewhat address it in January,
      but B hasn't been addressed. I gather that will be the purpose of the summer. Only question
      is, will it be the only thing we need to address or will something else crop up.

Which reflects my post in Brendans thread the other day mate, our transfer policy resembles trying to repair a leaky roof.  We wait for the damage to be done before any action is taken.  Also backs up my posts of being reactive rather than proactive.

I've also been surprised that we've not signed more youth players too mate although those that have come have been real quality like Teixeira and Yesil.  Maybe Alex just wants to see what we have and then decide who stays and who goes. 

We could see a big clearout from the Academy this summer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #81: Feb 18, 2013 03:01:34 pm
      Which reflects my post in Brendans thread the other day mate, our transfer policy resembles trying to repair a leaky roof.  We wait for the damage to be done before any action is taken.  Also backs up my posts of being reactive rather than proactive.

I've also been surprised that we've not signed more youth players too mate although those that have come have been real quality like Teixeira and Yesil.  Maybe Alex just wants to see what we have and then decide who stays and who goes. 

We could see a big clearout from the Academy this summer.

Robinson gone to Wolves on loan.

Link

U21 Players:

Yesil, Pelosi, Ngoo, Wilson

17 Over 21 players now.
      14 Over 21 outfield players.

5 U21 players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #82: Feb 18, 2013 03:07:12 pm
      Good move for Robbo that, I'm sure Dean will make sure he get's the necessary game time to make it worthwhile.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #83: Feb 18, 2013 10:38:32 pm
      A very interesting read that a few of us on here have been talking about all season.  I've also posted it in a few other topics as it's pertinent to more than just this one.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/02/liverpool-fc-are-we-really-full-of-talent/
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Feb 18, 2013 11:34:51 pm

At the age of eighteen years, two months and eight days Raheem Sterling has made thirty-eight appearances for club and country this season and it’s not even March. At the same age, Lionel Messi made eight appearances for Barcelona. Andre Wisdom has played twenty-four times, Lilian Thuram at the same age played just once. Suso so far has made twenty-six appearances; at his age, David Silva hadn’t even made his debut.

Found this part particularly telling.
      The club has swung from one extreme to another.

We've gone from have a club full of deadwood to a club dependant on youth.
      That's not allowing the likes of Sterling and Suso to develop as they should.

We spoke about the fall off in recruitment at youth level before debs.
      There are quite a few players that desperately need loan deals in the summer.

Sama, Coady, Adorjan, Morgan, Suso.

Look at how well Ngoo and Wilson are doing now at Hearts.

We can't just have them fill spaces on the bench.
      It's important that they develop.

Like the article says though, we have so little strenght in depth
      that the club may be reluctant to let them go as we risk rushing
      the development of the next generation of players.

It's something we have seen this year with the likes of Coady being
      in the Europa League and then the Next Gen team suffers because
      we promote youngsters rather than having another alternative at the
      same age level.

Having said all that it could be that, having strayed too close to the
      other extreme in our squad, we might start to see that addressed in
      the summer.

We are the only club to have started 3 teenagers together.
      I think it was something like 6 times this season.
      Sterling, Suso and Wisdom.

That was a massive risk. One taken out of necessity by
      Brendan because we had the squad stripped bare.

With the arrival of Sturridge and Coutinho we have seen
      the pressure taken off Sterling and Suso. Hopefully now
      they will be allowed to develop without the huge pressure
      that was beginning to mount on them.

Even my United mates were raving about Suso this year.
      We don't need them thrown into the spotlight too early.

The injuries to the likes of Yesil and pelosi have highlighted
      that the club has slowed recruitment in the last year.
      It's good that we have seen Ngoo go out on loan.
      That shouldn't mean that the U21s get out of jail because
      Morgan's loan collapsed.

There would be no harm in letting Suso and Sterling drop
      back to reserves for some game time now that they will
      only feature on the bench.

That's a step back to how it should be and I can only hope
      that Rodolfo is being given the backing to ensure the overhaul
      continues at youth level.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #85: Feb 18, 2013 11:42:58 pm
      I agree those stats for Raheem were a shock when you compare it to Messi and Silva.  We have a tendency in this country to want to push people too hard, too soon and then wonder why they can't sustain it.  How many times has it been said on here "if they haven't broken into the 1st team now they never will", yet these stats prove how big a difference there is in development.

I've mentioned a couple of times that Suso and Raheem could do with a spell back in the U21's, I even suggested that Raheem should play in the next Next.Gen game.  I think it would do him the world of good to be able to play with a bit more freedom and less pressure.

As we've discussed many times mate, it's ok playing the odd game, give them a taste if you will but it's totally wrong to be relying on them.  It's not fair on them and won't benefit the Club in the long term.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #86: Feb 18, 2013 11:54:13 pm
      I agree those stats for Raheem were a shock when you compare it to Messi and Silva.  We have a tendency in this country to want to push people too hard, too soon and then wonder why they can't sustain it.  How many times has it been said on here "if they haven't broken into the 1st team now they never will", yet these stats prove how big a difference there is in development.

I've mentioned a couple of times that Suso and Raheem could do with a spell back in the U21's, I even suggested that Raheem should play in the next Next.Gen game.  I think it would do him the world of good to be able to play with a bit more freedom and less pressure.

As we've discussed many times mate, it's ok playing the odd game, give them a taste if you will but it's totally wrong to be relying on them.  It's not fair on them and won't benefit the Club in the long term.

Wisdom we can't take out of the squad now.
      He is the only cover we have for Johnson and Enrique. How crazy is that?
      He's also probably the only one of the three I'd leave in. He's a beast.

Suso and Sterling on the other hand need to be rested.
      They could probably both play in the Next Gen matches
      and it would seem like a weight was lifted from them.

That's why I get so wound up over how thin our squad is.
      The implications reach further than just the first team.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #87: Feb 19, 2013 12:05:27 am
      Wisdom we can't take out of the squad now.
      He is the only cover we have for Johnson and Enrique. How crazy is that?
      He's also probably the only one of the three I'd leave in. He's a beast.

Suso and Sterling on the other hand need to be rested.
      They could probably both play in the Next Gen matches
      and it would seem like a weight was lifted from them.

That's why I get so wound up over how thin our squad is.
      The implications reach further than just the first team.

Out of the 3 Wisdom has the physique to play for now but when you look at the injuries of Micah Richards since he's burst onto the scene he barely plays now.

Similar players, so we don't want to do any unnecessary harm to Andre.

We both feel the same about the squad mate, we knew months ago it was an issue and were concerned about how few youth signings we've had in the last couple of years.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #88: Feb 19, 2013 12:13:53 am
      Out of the 3 Wisdom has the physique to play for now but when you look at the injuries of Micah Richards since he's burst onto the scene he barely plays now.

Similar players, so we don't want to do any unnecessary harm to Andre.

We both feel the same about the squad mate, we knew months ago it was an issue and were concerned about how few youth signings we've had in the last couple of years.

I hope we put it right soon.
      Right I'm off to study.
      Going to have to cut back on here for the next few weeks.

Goodnight.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #89: Feb 19, 2013 12:14:30 am

I hope we put it right soon.
      Right I'm off to study.
      Going to have to cut back on here for the next few weeks.

Goodnight.

Night mate.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #90: Feb 20, 2013 11:41:00 am
      our spine of the team of Reina Agger Gerrard and Suarez is as good as anything in the league and hava a good squad but nothing more! i Think we need to centre halves with carra retiring coates and skrtel aint good enough and i would have wisdom as a CB were he likes to play best. Another Creative CM such as Eriksen would be immense and a winger and striker to put pressure on Sturridge and we could be a very goodsquad next season but thats a lot to ask of! Patience needed1 In rodgers we trust! YNWA

Quick Reply