Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Our squad for now

Read 12354 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Our squad for now
      Reply #46: Sep 04, 2012 10:14:06 pm
      I find it totally unbelievable that we don't have any depth at a recognizable senior striker. It doesn't seem like real life. I know we all wanted that super finisher, but I'd have been more than happy if we had brought in a player like Robert Lewandowski.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #47: Sep 04, 2012 11:15:15 pm
      I find it totally unbelievable that we don't have any depth at a recognizable senior striker. It doesn't seem like real life. I know we all wanted that super finisher, but I'd have been more than happy if we had brought in a player like Robert Lewandowski.

He would be a great signing
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #48: Sep 04, 2012 11:22:47 pm
      There's a certain Jerome Sinclair who seems to be scoring goals for fun in the under age.

Fancy including him BR????

He's 15. I think it maybe be a little too early for him.

I know Ibe reportedly impressed Rodgers and his staff in pre season, while Ngoo has done himself favours with his early season form in the U21s.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #49: Sep 04, 2012 11:43:35 pm
      Hey do the LFC Ladies have any decent forwards?

Just thinking outside the box.  :f_tongueincheek:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #50: Sep 05, 2012 12:44:13 am
      Hey do the LFC Ladies have any decent forwards?

Just thinking outside the box.  :f_tongueincheek:

A couple of them have a great pair up front.  :D :P
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #51: Sep 05, 2012 03:34:54 am

I think someone like Lewandowski (since I doubt Dortmund would have sold) would have been good but not great, you know? Would have been good for maybe 12 goals, which is not quite what we need but would have been better than what had and what we're left with.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #52: Sep 06, 2012 01:18:35 am
      Can we not stick Brendan upfront himself?

Offside!!

Although, I guess when you're the boss at training sessions, you can let it slide occasionally.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #53: Sep 06, 2012 04:26:55 am
      Offside!!

Although, I guess when you're the boss at training sessions, you can let it slide occasionally.

Reminds me of when your playing football as a kid. A new guy arrives and asks can he play but you always say "I dunno, it's not my ball, ask him" :D
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #54: Sep 06, 2012 10:29:17 am
      i get the frustration that people have that there was no striker brought in on deadline day, but some of the striker being mentioned are out of Liverpool's reach. The Llorente's, Lewandowski's or even Cavani's of this world would choose most of the other top teams above coming to Liverpool.

Even if the release clauses were matched, they have CL football, and can offer vastly more wages. Getting hidden gems will have to be the mode of operation.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #55: Sep 08, 2012 07:27:45 pm
      http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=b6b

Sterling    Borini     Suarez

Shelvey

Allen          Gerrard

I'm sure everybody has the same keeper and back four, so i'll skip to midfield.

Gerrard isnt the same player from a few years back, an i'd like to see him playing the "Alonso role". People have said we've never replaced Xabi but the answer was already at our club. It was just Gerrard was awesome behind the front man. But now he's older, i don't think he has it anymore, for a full season anyway. I liked Gerrard a lot for England in the Euro's, think he dictated play and stood out from the rest, still believe our play should run through him but just further back.

Shelvey for me has stood out from anyone appart from Joe Allen, and should be given the chance to start a few games, instead of being on the bench. Showed he had incredible feet against Roma and Arsenal and i'd like to see a lot more of him, probably our most inproved player.

Don't want to comment on Sahin because i haven't seen much of him, an i think he had a real quiet game against Arsenal.

Joe Allen is a beast. Great improvement from last seasons Spearing. Future midfield 3 Allen, Lucas, Shelvey.

Glad to see Sterling given a go, the lads a breath of fresh air and have full confidence in him grabbing his chance with two hands.

My post in the Arsenal game:
      Why not play Borini in the center? ffs. Suarez couldn't hit a barn door, i've seen less scuffs on me work boots.

Just makes more sense to switch these two players. Suarez on the right like for Ajax, creating chances and beating the left back. And Borini having a go center, looks uncomfortable as f**k out wide.

Suarez would probably get more goals too, type of player that can miss sitters but score crazy goals from crazy angles. Even against Gomel when he was played on the left he looked amazing, then every game since hes played center and not cut it.

Just by playing Suarez wide and Borini center, this would fix things up for me, and could be the difference in games like this. Because in all fairness i think people have overreacted to our last performance, we seen a lot of the ball and had some good moments and looked more positive than Arsenal. Just lacking that ruthless aproach in clear cut created chances and finishing.

Couldn't really fault Sterling, he was awesome.

Sterling   Borini    Suarez.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #56: Sep 08, 2012 07:41:06 pm
      With the squad we have i feel Borini should be the vocal point of our attack, he seems so out of place out on the right and Suarez when in the middle always seem to try and do too much.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #57: Sep 08, 2012 07:59:33 pm

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »

So far I havent seen anything in Borini that leads me to believe he will score more the 10 or 12 goals this season in all comps.            

Quote (selected)

Quote from: little-Luis:) on September 04, 2012, 04:45:41 PMCan we not stick Brendan upfront himself?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #58: Sep 08, 2012 08:12:42 pm
      I have, he seems to get in good positions and has just been unlucky not to finish off his chances, i think he deserves a chance in his favorite position to be honest.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #59: Sep 08, 2012 08:57:51 pm
      For us  to score goals we have to play with two
      strikes  we have to give the young boys the
      opportunity
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #60: Jan 07, 2013 11:34:48 am
                                      1. Jones (HG)
      2. Johnson (HG)
      3. Enrique
      4. Sahin
      5. Agger
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard (HG)
      11. Assaidi
      14. Henderson (HG)
      15. Sturridge (HG)
      16. Coates
      19. Downing (HG)
      21. Lucas
      22. D Wilson
      23. Carragher (HG)
      24. Allen
                                    25. Reina
      29. Borini
                                    32. Doni
      34. Kelly (HG)
      37. Skrtel
                                    42. Gulacsi

33. Shelvey
      30. Suso
      31. Sterling
      ??. Pacheco
      ??. Yesil

LIVERPOOL Over 21 Squad:
      Agger, Allen, Assaidi, Carragher, Coates, Downing, Gerrard, Gulacsi, Henderson, Johnson, Jones, Enrique, Kelly, Lucas, Reina, Sahin, Skrtel, Sturridge, Suarez.

U21 Players:
      Borini, Shelvey, Sterling.

We've still got one of the smallest and youngest squads in the Premier League, but it's amazing how much better it looks when you simply replace Cole with Sturridge.

We should have enough trimming done now to allow us to make small changes to the squad in the next few windows and actually strengthening the squad.
      In the summer, rather than seeing a raft of players leave, we could see something as simple as 3 in and 3 out.
      I think we may be seeing the cuts level out. The end of summer mistake has been rectified.

The elephant in the room still being Carroll, Downing and Henderson.
      We've ended up with two expensive squad players and a Record signing sent out on loan.

That said, given a similar spend in the summer, without the wage cull, we should be much stronger next season. *

*Providing we keep the manager and his ethos and don't F**k about again.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,189 posts | 165 
      Reply #61: Jan 07, 2013 04:27:06 pm
      We still need winger/striker. But our squad is not that bad, Reina - top GK
      Johnson - best RB of the country
      Skrtel and Agger and excellent 3games on 4 at least.
      Enrique is more than decent.
      Lucas is one of the most efficient holding midfielder of the EPL.
      Gerrard is playing like Alonso but with the forward runs and thread as bonus.
      Allen passes like Xavi, Shelvey is some diamond, Suso is another superb prospect and Hendo is a player full of potential just missing some guts.
      Suarez is simpley the EPL's best player by far! And I'm certain of it.
      Sturridge and Borini are future stars shoul they soon score scome goals this season to give a boost to their career.
      Sterling... no comments

*Yesil one of the best prospects in Europe if I'm not wrong.

However we still lack a player who can help us to reach top 4 immediately or at least make us play better by being good enough and constant performance-wise. It seems we're interested in Ince, he's a good prospect but I just hope he has enough talent to shine THIS SEASON and help us. He may be young etc, but he needs to have an impact here.
      I read Newcastle are trying to sign Loic Remy? We should try to get him IMO
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Jan 15, 2013 03:19:52 pm

Doni (33), Gulacsi (22), Jones (30), Reina (30)

Agger (28), Carragher (34), Coates (22), Johnson (28), Enrique (26), Kelly (22), Skrtel (28)

Allen (22), Assaidi (24), Downing (28), Gerrard (32),  Henderson (22), Lucas (26)

Sturridge (23), Suarez (25)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Robinson (19) , Shelvey (20), Sterling (18), Suso (19), Wisdom (19)

15 outfield players (19 including keepers) out of a possible squad of 25 Over 21 players.

There has to be the wages available to bring in one or two quality players.
      Looks like we will gamble again on youth players filling the void until the summer.
      Leaves us hoping that nobody else wants to leave if we are to strengthen.

I suppose if you want to be positive about it you could say that, if this is the squad bottoming out,
      we are in a great position to build for the future.

You could say that, if you expect the teams above us to stand still.
      I'm not so sure anymore.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,189 posts | 165 
      Reply #63: Jan 15, 2013 03:27:33 pm

Agger (28), Carragher (34), Coates (22), Johnson (28), Enrique (26), Kelly (22), Skrtel (28)

Allen (22), Assaidi (24), Downing (28), Gerrard (32),  Henderson (22), Lucas (26)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Robinson (19) , Shelvey (20), Sterling (18), Suso (19), Wisdom (19)

15 outfield players (19 including keepers) out of a possible squad of 25 Over 21 players.

Looks like we will gamble again on youth players filling the void until the summer.

I suppose if you want to be positive about it you could say that, if this is the squad bottoming out,

I'm not so sure anymore.

Our squad is sooooo thin! :O
      Assaidi is not even playing and Downing is the worst player I've seen  in the red shirt. Vs ManUtd I was telling myself: how is BR expecting to win this game with a 18-year old guy and Downing as wingers!?

Yes we have Borini and Sturridge, but then? We desperately need at least a good winger now. 2 if possible and an AM like Sneijder would be perfect. A  Dm also would help us since Allen is average at DM(not bad) and Lucas is not as good as usual which is quite normal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #64: Jan 15, 2013 03:33:19 pm

U21 Players:

I'm not so sure anymore.

I've been trying to guestimate what our wage bill is now compared to say summer 2011. 

I know some of our senior players have had improved contracts and Sterling, Suso and Wisdom have gone onto pro contracts but it's got to be less than £70m a year now.  Think it was around £130m.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #65: Jan 16, 2013 08:36:53 pm

U21 Players:

I'm not so sure anymore.

You're right Racer... It looks thin it is thin.. And we have to hope that this is the bottoming out position of the squad and that Brendan can add to the side in terms of quality over the next couple of windows with the budget he is given..

We have to work to the situation of two players per position..

So lets look where we are, considering the default 4-3-3 that the manager wants to play

Keepers

Reina
      Jones
      Gulacsi

RBs
      Johnson
      Wisdom
      Kelly

LBs
      Enrique *
      Robinson *

CBs
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Coates!
      Carra *

DMs
      Lucas
      Allen*

Other CMs
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Suso
      Shelvey

Wide Forwards
      Borini
      Downing*
      Assaidi*
      Sterling

Central Striker
      Suarez
      Sturridge

So looking at that we seem to have obvious gaps and certain areas where we need to upgrade the current options and the current options are at threat of a future..
      Left Back is an obviuos one, Robinson looks a talent but for me isnt ready yet and could do with a season away on loan, there are still question marks over Enrique defensivly so you could argue we need to bring in two left backs to the squad..
      Carra isnt going to be around forever and there seems to be question marks over Coates, so that could be deemed as two cbs needed..
      Allen doesnt strike me as a holding midfielder, or really as someone who can play at the highest point of the midfield three, so long run he may be a replacement/rotation in the role Stevie is playing.. And you can argue that Suso and Shelvey can only really play the highest point of the midfield 3 so we need another ball playing cm as an option..
      Wide forward you can still say there are question marks over Downing and Assaidi so potentially two more wide forwards and if you are being greedy another central striking option..

So potentially 8 or 9 players needed for the squad... Thats some work to be done still... If you say desperately to move forward, a lb, cb, cm, dm, wf is still 5 that we need to bring in over the remainder of this window and the summer..

Big work needed from the scouts for me
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: Jan 22, 2013 12:47:13 pm
      OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe
      6 - Liverpool have named three teenagers in their starting XI six times in the PL this season, no other club has done this once. Youth.

Sterling, Suso & Wisdom no doubt.

Sterling: He was 19 times in the starting team, got substituted in 3 times.
      Suso: He was 8 times in the starting team, got substituted in 4 times and stayed on the bench 5 times.
      Wisdom:He was 10 times in the starting team, got substituted in 0 times and stayed on the bench 4 times.

The games in question:

Norwich (Away)
      Stoke (Home)
      Reading (Home)
      Everton (Away)
      Chelsea (Away)
      Wigan (Home)

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2013 01:10:48 pm by racerx34 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #67: Jan 31, 2013 02:34:57 pm
      Gulacsi (22), Jones (30), Reina (30)

U21 Players:
      Borini (21), Coutinho (20), Shelvey (20), Robinson (19), Suso (19), Wisdom (19), Sterling (18)

18 Over 21 players now.
      15 Over 21 outfield players.

So as far as the registered 25 man squad is concerned we have the smallest squad in the league.

In:
      Sturridge, Coutinho

Out:
      Sahin, Cole, Doni, Pacheco (Loan), Ngoo (Loan), Wilson (Loan)

That wage bill looks boss now.
      Must be ready for a solid build in the summer, mustn't it?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #68: Jan 31, 2013 03:05:22 pm
      I think we'll have a lot to spend in the summer with the TV money. Could see us having a 50m pound spend in the summer. Still think we lack a top quality CB, someone like Howedes. Also think we need a LB, DM, WF, and ST.

Quick Reply