Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Lack of Goals from open play

Read 2336 times
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 291 posts | 29 
      Lack of Goals from open play
      Sep 01, 2012 01:20:51 pm
      Our goals against City came from a corner kick and a free kick.  We beat Hearts thanks to an own goal and a moment of individual brilliance.

Our lack of goals from open play made it vital to sign a proven poacher.  Having failed to do that, I hope that Sahin proves to be a creative genius who provides unmissable chances!!  And we must get more players into the opposing penalty area on a consistent basis.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Re: Lack of Goals from open play
      Reply #1: Sep 01, 2012 02:13:03 pm
      Maybe we are lacking a poacher, but I think we are still underestimating the likes of Borini and Suarez, both are better finishers than what we are making out. Scoring goals is a lot to do with confidence consistency, if the entire team starts to gain more confidence, the chances will come.

Let's not forget Suarez's goal scoring record for Ajax (81 in 110) to say that he can't finish is short sighted in my opinion.

Suarez has had to deal with scraps in several games last season, many of his goals were individual efforts, wonderful goals that he basically had to craft for himself.

We have yet to see what Borini can offer, personally I think he's a very good acquisition who will start to score when the team begins to create more chances, it will also take time for him to form a partnership with the likes of Suarez/Sterling etc.

For me goals are a team issue, having an established number 9 would help, as would having a plan B, for now we have to deal with what we have, hopefully bringing the likes of Sahin and Allen, as well as Gerrard establishing some kind of form, will create goal scoring opportunities.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,702 posts | 7163 
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2012 02:59:00 pm
      Maybe we are lacking a poacher, but I think we are still underestimating the likes of Borini and Suarez, both are better finishers than what we are making out. Scoring goals is a lot to do with confidence consistency, if the entire team starts to gain more confidence, the chances will come.

Let's not forget Suarez's goal scoring record for Ajax (81 in 110) to say that he can't finish is short sighted in my opinion.

Suarez has had to deal with scraps in several games last season, many of his goals were individual efforts, wonderful goals that he basically had to craft for himself.

We have yet to see what Borini can offer, personally I think he's a very good acquisition who will start to score when the team begins to create more chances, it will also take time for him to form a partnership with the likes of Suarez/Sterling etc.

For me goals are a team issue, having an established number 9 would help, as would having a plan B, for now we have to deal with what we have, hopefully bringing the likes of Sahin and Allen, as well as Gerrard establishing some kind of form, will create goal scoring opportunities.
      suarez scored 11 league goals and he misses sitters all day long.Borini so far has shown nothing to suggest he will get anywhere near double figures this season.We scored 47 league goals and conceded 40 its hard to see with the same defense and strike force how that will change much.Last season could end up being quite nostalgic for being so succesfull
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2012 02:59:50 pm
      And yet in previous seasons to this one, we've bemoaned our lack of ability to score from set pieces.  ;)
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2012 03:22:45 pm
      suarez scored 11 league goals and he misses sitters all day long.Borini so far has shown nothing to suggest he will get anywhere near double figures this season.We scored 47 league goals and conceded 40 its hard to see with the same defense and strike force how that will change much.Last season could end up being quite nostalgic for being so succesfull

What I'm saying is if the team has a whole is changing it's philosophy, creating more chances, having more possession, the likelihood is that Suarez is going to get more goal scoring opportunities and score more. Suarez not scoring enough goals last year is a result of the lack of creativity as well as the lack of a proficient strike partner in our squad last season.

Borini has played around 5 games and scored 1 goal, to write him off already is a ridiculous thing to do, would've thought as fans we'd show slightly more faith than that.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,702 posts | 7163 
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2012 03:28:04 pm
      What I'm saying is if the team has a whole is changing it's philosophy, creating more chances, having more possession, the likelihood is that Suarez is going to get more goal scoring opportunities and score more. Suarez not scoring enough goals last year is a result of the lack of creativity as well as the lack of a proficient strike partner in our squad last season.

Borini has played around 5 games and scored 1 goal, to write him off already is a ridiculous thing to do, would've thought as fans we'd show slightly more faith than that.
      did you not see any games from last year.We dominated possession and created more chances hit the woodwork more than any other team.
      So what is different this year we cannot dominate any more or create many more chances we just havent got a "finisher".
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2012 03:35:17 pm
      did you not see any games from last year.We dominated possession and created more chances hit the woodwork more than any other team.
      So what is different this year we cannot dominate any more or create many more chances we just havent got a "finisher".

A new manager and two midfielders that are going to completely restructure our team, in this formation we can't rely on Suarez to be our sole goalscorer, our failure last year was not solely down to the fact that we didn't have a finisher, the majority of the squad did not play well enough, from our keeper to our strikers.

If we can improve the way we play as a whole, which was in no way good enough last season, Suarez, Borini and the rest of our creative players should score a lot more goals.

I don't think we should write Borini off after two difficult league games, he could be a lot more crucial than we think.

Quick Reply