Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will be the outcome?

Liverpool Win
      98 (79%)
      Draw
      19 (15.3%)
      Manchester Utd Win
      7 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd. EPL Sun 23 Sept 2012, KO 13:30 BST

Read 17986 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd. EPL Sun 23 Sept 2012, KO 13:30 BST
      Sep 21, 2012 12:08:17 pm
      Vs

Well "The Big game" we saved our first team for on Thursday night for.

A lot has been said about a lot of issues involving this game. All I prey for is a win, any type of win for the true REDS.

Here is Phil McNulty's take on the rivalry, and history of this game:
      Liverpool v Manchester United: The bitter rivalry
      The rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United has become almost unique in its intensity since the Premier League's balance of power shifted from Merseyside along the M62 in the early 1990s.

The two cities do not simply share a sporting rivalry but also a cultural and industrial one - something mirrored most starkly in the relationship between two of world football's greatest clubs

Covering one of my first meetings between Liverpool and United at Anfield in 1988 I got a close up view of then manager Kenny Dalglish carrying his six-week old daughter Lauren in his arms while enraging counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson in the tunnel by suggesting a radio interviewer might get more sense interrogating the baby than his fellow Scot.

It was a snapshot of the fierce competition that has always existed between Liverpool and United but the incident now falls into the category of mild banter given what has become, and few would dispute this, an increasingly poisonous relationship between the supporters in recent years.
      Tension has built as United have amassed league titles - eventually eclipsing Liverpool's 18 top-flight trophies with their 19th in 2011.
      The rivalry has led to concerns that what should be an occasion for remembrance, emotion and sympathy when they meet in the Premier League at Anfield on Sunday - as Liverpool play at home for the first time since the release of the Hillsborough files - might be hijacked by a small minority intent on ill-feeling as opposed to empathy.

And yet the actions of both clubs in the build-up to Sunday's game suggests this day could yet be a watershed in that fractious relationship between fans, a day when the unity that has been shown within football following the disclosure of the Hillsborough documents relating to the 1989 disaster could heal long-standing wounds.

This will be the wish of the overwhelming majority of Liverpool and United supporters inside and outside Anfield, and those in the boardrooms, at these two English and European superpowers.

As those who died at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989 are remembered on Sunday, the occasion has the potential to become a turning point, a force for good in forging a new bond between the clubs' followers.
      BBC Sport football pundit Mark Lawrenson, who played in many Liverpool-Manchester United matches, says the eyes of the sporting world will be on Anfield on Sunday.

"This is Liverpool's first game at home since the release of the Hillsborough files and no-one wants anything to detract from the meaning of this occasion followed by the importance of a showpiece Premier League game," he said. "Concerns have been expressed after a small number of United fans sang anti-Liverpool songs during last week's win against Wigan but I fully expect this to be a day reflecting the mood of so many decent supporters on both sides.

"Liverpool fans have been guilty themselves in the past of singing songs about the Munich air crash but Hillsborough rises above club loyalties.
      "I also think anyone who is tempted to try to mar the occasion will find themselves being embarrassed by their fellow supporters.
      "And with plans for opposing captains Steven Gerrard and Nemanja Vidic to release 96 balloons before kick-off in memory of those who died in 1989, I am convinced it will be a day that will do everyone inside Anfield enormous credit.

"It may even be the time when fractures in the relationship between the two sets of supporters are repaired. "United and Liverpool have suffered great tragedies as clubs so there should be empathy between them. It is these tragic events and how they have handled them that contribute to their greatness. They are part of these clubs' history so there should be that mutual respect. "Sir Alex Ferguson has very publicly offered United's support to Liverpool. He will stand alongside Liverpool because this is not an issue of club loyalty or a time for rivalries. Hillsborough goes beyond that."

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who will take charge of his 62nd match against Liverpool on Sunday, admits that the rivalry between the cities goes back a long way further than football. The building of the Manchester ship canal in the 1880s is often cited as the source of that historic discontent. The canal bypassed the Port of Liverpool, leading to job losses on Merseyside and disgruntlement with the new competition - it is mentioned still on the Mersey Ferry tour. Ferguson said: "The thing about us and Liverpool is the rivalry. They are the most fantastic games.

"They're unparalleled in British history in terms of the success of both clubs and that's why we need each other. From an industrial point of view, the way industry changed when they opened the ship canal - [the rivalry] is all to do with it." Football is so important in north-west daily life that the broader culture can be infected. Music is an example of that - while the Beatles struck the first telling blow for Liverpool, Manchester hit back with the likes of Joy Division, New Order, the Smiths, the Stone Roses and Oasis. And yet this is a rivalry that lives in football and was fuelled by modern success, first Liverpool's, then United's.

It is striking that Phil Chisnall, who left Old Trafford for Anfield in 1964, remains the last player to be transferred directly between the clubs. As with music, civic and cultural achievements, success in football has been cyclical from the moment United won the European Cup in 1968.
      At the time, the Liverpool Echo wrote: "British football can be proud of the United team who gave their all to give Matt Busby the cup he cherishes above all else. It's been a long, long drive for United to reach the top in Europe - no-one will begrudge them being the first English club to make it."

How times change. In 2005, when the Manchester Evening News reported Liverpool's Champions League triumph in Istanbul with the headline "Beyond Belief", the paper was inundated with complaints.
      The eyes of the footballing world will be on Anfield on Sunday. Hopefully, the rivalry can be a respectful one.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19653230
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Re: Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd. EPL Sunday, KO 13:30 BST
      Reply #1: Sep 21, 2012 12:10:41 pm
      Draw would be a realistic target on this match. Would be over the moon if we win this game though.
      liverpoolforlive
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Re: Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd. EPL Sun 23 Sept 2012, KO 13:30 BST
      Reply #2: Sep 21, 2012 12:16:08 pm
      Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique  >:(

Allen
      Gerrard
      Shevey

Sterling
      Borini
      Suarez

linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Re: Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd. EPL Sunday, KO 13:30 BST
      Reply #3: Sep 21, 2012 12:19:53 pm
      We're gonna win this'. These are the games we are best at. We have won three of our last 4 home games in the league against them and last year we drew, but deserved a victory!

COME ON YOU REDS!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #4: Sep 21, 2012 12:20:52 pm
      Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique  >:(

Allen
      Gerrard
      Shevey

Sterling
      Borini
      Suarez

Based on Kelly's performance on saturdag and José's yesterday, I'd suggest we put Johnson at left back and Kelly at right Back
      boohamdan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 21, 2012 12:57:26 pm
      Shrek might be back for them, Diver medalist Young out for 3 weeks with "bruised cartilage"
      Fancy a Suarez hattrick and Raheem harassing Evra on the right side

Lets do this!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Sep 21, 2012 01:11:57 pm
      No better place to get our 1st premier league win of the season

In recent years we have got in there faces and they have not looked up for it most of the time. Same again please lads!

Our back 4 and goalkeeper need to be at there best here tho we cant go gifting these easy goals as we have to almost every opponent this season. Left full needs to be on form theefore Enrique must not play for me. Valencia is there big threat feeding crosses for van Persie the other danger will be Kagawa, we will miss Lucas in that regard.

Up front we need to be clinical. If we only get 3 chances all game we might need to take 2 of them, something we cant be confident of at the minute. Borini would start for me as central striker with Suarez out wide.

On a sidenote off the pitch, a lot has been made of utd fans and what will they do. I believe that the huge majority will respect anything in relation to the 96. Once the game starts theres no reason why both sets of supporters shouldn't lash each other out of it once its kept away from human tradgedy. Anfield needs to be at its absolute best all game here and be right behind the lads from start to finish

2-1 Liverpool

Reina

Kelly Skrtel Agger Johnson

Gerrard  Allen Shelvey

Suarez     Borini       Sterling

Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 21, 2012 01:44:42 pm
      Absolutely buzzing already for this one as I always am for this fixture.

Going to be emotional.

Atmosphere going to be electric.

3 points please for a massive massive needed lift.

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #8: Sep 21, 2012 01:48:10 pm
      A very important game on all fonts.

Would like to see us take the game to them and rattle the arse off em.

Going with a 2-1 to us.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Sep 21, 2012 02:00:08 pm
      Just heard this will be KKs first return to Anfield since he left as manager.
      Emotional day all round.
      CMMMOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN NNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #10: Sep 21, 2012 02:03:39 pm
      I see a Liverpool win here a probably a new hero would be born
      Hoping for a Raheem goal here.
      I see a comfortable win for the Reds if we play without holding back. the Manures have been lucky this season and i cant see a better match to kickstart the season

Reina

Kelly
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Johnson

Gerrard
      Allen
      Shelvey

Sterling
      Borini
      Suarez

Subs:
      Jones
      Carragher
      Suso
      Henderson
      Downing
      Assaidi
      Sahin

Lets go boys
      YNWA. Lets win this for the 96.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #11: Sep 21, 2012 02:32:59 pm
      Neither team can defend so there will be goals. If our Man City side turns up we will get an unlicky draw, if our Arsenal team turns up god help us.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #12: Sep 21, 2012 03:03:33 pm
      Think we'll batter them 2-1 - fancy Suarez nicking the winner. Its going to be emotional.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #13: Sep 21, 2012 03:25:33 pm
                      Pepe
      Kelly  Skrtel  Agger  Johno
                    Allen
             Gerrard  Shelvey
         Suarez  Borini  Assiadi

I think Sterling is better suited to a super sub role due to his direct running and great turn of pace.  I think Assiadi is a trickier player, and I would like to see him get the nod to start on Sunday. 

Most importantly, I'd line Suarez up directly against that Manc c**t Evra and watch him abuse him for 90 minutes!!!

2-0 to LFC!!!  YNWA
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Sep 21, 2012 03:32:58 pm
      Reina
      Skrtel        Agger
      Kelly                            Johnson
      Allen
      Gerrard          Shelvey
      Sterling                           Suarez
      Borini

As much as I think Sterling and Suarez should be swapped ^ I think having Suarez on the side with Evra is asking for some serious trouble. Each would get booked in the first half. Plus, seeing Evra get completely demolished by a 17-year-old would please me greatly.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #15: Sep 21, 2012 03:36:26 pm
      Really fired up for this one, just gutted that I cant get a ticket :((((((((((((

Anyway, I think thisll be the team

Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey, Sterling, Borini, Suarez.

Suarez as the middle man but if it doesn't seem to be working out we definitely need a change, I think Borini in the middle and Suarez on the left is perfect!

Anyway, will be very emotional and intense game, would take a draw, but want/need a win, COME ON!
      1-0 I reckon, Suarez late late goal.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #16: Sep 21, 2012 04:08:43 pm
      Reina
      Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
      Gerrard Allen
      Sterling Shelvey Suarez
      Borini
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #17: Sep 21, 2012 04:29:06 pm
                              Reina

Johnson    Skrtel    Agger    Enrique

Gerrard    Allen
                            Shelvey

Sterling                    Suarez
                             Borini
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Sep 21, 2012 04:38:39 pm
      Most people seem to agree on 10 of the 11 players to start Sunday
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Sep 21, 2012 05:07:47 pm
      Don't think we'll see Enrique starting. I think, based on who started yesterday, it's pretty obvious what the team will be on Sunday.

Reina

Kelly
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Johnson

Allen
      Gerrard
      Shelvey

Sterling
      Borini
      Suarez

We have to defend the counter well. We'll hold more of the ball but they absolutely have the pace to kill us on the counter.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Sep 21, 2012 05:09:34 pm
      I'd like to fit Sahin in there but in maybe a couple of games to soon.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #21: Sep 21, 2012 05:19:34 pm
      I would like to see:

Reina

Kelly   Skrtel    Agger    Johnson

Sahin    Allen

Gerrard

Suarez      Borini     Sterling
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Sep 21, 2012 05:25:04 pm
      I'd like to fit Sahin in there but in maybe a couple of games to soon.

I would too, but I still don't think he's fit. Players are still blowing by him in midfield, although he's getting better. Against a counterattacking side this may not be a good thing, and Shelvey is also our best attacking midfielder at the moment, and I can't see Gerrard being dropped.

Quick Reply