Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Referees influence games more than the players and managers

Read 19801 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Referees influence games more than the players and managers
      Reply #46: Sep 25, 2012 09:11:04 pm
      What did shock me - and I am surprised nobody has mentioned it yet - was the comments made by some LFC fans on Twitter saying that they wished he had died of cancer
      Actually several forum members brought the subject up and condemned it outright, Mark Halseys misfortune should never have been made an issue , he had a bad day and we suffered .
      Those so called liverpool supporters on twitter that made those comments were dispicable and should be banned from Anfield , that's if they were ours. Also those Manc supporters who sang that vile sh*t should also get a lifetime ban from Anfield.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #47: Sep 25, 2012 09:21:17 pm
      The solution to sad losers who tweet such obnoxious comments is simple.

Once they have no-one to tweet to they will stop tweeting.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #48: Sep 25, 2012 09:24:03 pm
      The solution to sad losers who tweet such obnoxious comments is simple.

Once they have no-one to tweet to they will stop tweeting.
      I'd love to know why referees and players open twitter accounts finchie .They're leaving themselves wide open to abuse. I'ts mad.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #49: Sep 25, 2012 09:40:25 pm
      And I counted Paul Scholes going in two footed twice - one of which was immediately after the Suarez 'penalty' and was in the box.

And van Persie's challenge a yellow.  Bad, bad day for Halsey. 

Where's Collina when you need him.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #50: Sep 25, 2012 09:47:24 pm
      Collina is the bar that all refs should aspire to be squirrel .PL refs are lazy they put no thought into themselves , it's like they just show up  to collect the wage .Collina was extremely fit for his age , compare him to Phil Dowd and no contest.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #51: Sep 25, 2012 09:50:05 pm
      I'd love to know why referees and players open twitter accounts finchie .They're leaving themselves wide open to abuse. I'ts mad.
      Depends whose account it is. Some post sensibly, others tweet before they think. People on twitter need to ask themselves do they tweet impulsively; if the answer is yes then they should avoid it.
      Abuse is part and parcel of being a celebrity on twitter but "mentions" can be ignored quite easily. I quite like twitter but have never seen it as a conversation tool more a case of making quick points or posting informative links. We've had a few campaigns on twitter that have really boosted petition numbers so it's not all bad.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #52: Sep 25, 2012 09:54:26 pm
      Collina is the bar that all refs should aspire to be squirrel .PL refs are lazy they put no thought into themselves , it's like they just show up  to collect the wage .Collina was extremely fit for his age , compare him to Phil Dowd and no contest.

It's true, I reckon all the games I saw him ref he only had one stinker.  There was talk of him coming to the premiership at one point - the age of retirement is higher here than Italy - unfortunately it never happeneed.  He probably would have been shocked by the standards and made the FA do something.

The thing that struck me about him, was that he used to get informed about players, he'd read up on them and watch past performances (not just tabloid headlines!!) and he could incorporate some common sense into his reffing based on that.  I don't know if any of our refs actually read up on players (I stand corrected if they do).
      TheSturridgeShake
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 61 posts | 20 
      • JFT96 <3
      Reply #53: Sep 26, 2012 02:50:30 am
      The best level of officiating I have seen is in Germany. They let rough tackles go and they are consistent with it. However, 2 footed and thats it, you are off. By far the worst standard is here and La Liga where the referee's are clearly influenced by something else. The FA needs to review a lot of areas from grass roots, to the education of referees to its way of handling hearings. The whole make up of the organisation is a shambles and a bad reflection on British football.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #54: Sep 26, 2012 10:43:15 pm
      I think this thread is only quiet tonight because we won. I don't mean to look for negatives from tonight's game but once again, we got very little from the referee (Oliver). We seem to be on the wrong end of almost every decision lately  >:(
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #55: Sep 26, 2012 10:44:57 pm
      I think this thread is only quiet tonight because we won. I don't mean to look for negatives from tonight's game but once again, we got very little from the referee (Oliver). We seem to be on the wrong end of almost every decision lately  >:(

Totally agree with this, thought the ref was terrible tonight. Especially the challenge on Hendo and the free-kick he gave against Wisdom for their goal and the booking of Wisdom. All terrible decisions, I've felt persecuted by ref's for forever though, I believe it comes with supporting our club as unjust as that might be.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #56: Sep 26, 2012 10:54:18 pm
      Totally agree with this, thought the ref was terrible tonight. Especially the challenge on Hendo and the free-kick he gave against Wisdom for their goal and the booking of Wisdom. All terrible decisions, I've felt persecuted by ref's for forever though, I believe it comes with supporting our club as unjust as that might be.

Supporters of every club can point to sh*t calls against them. It's just one of things that is more noticeable when it happens than when a referee has a good game.

I recall us getting a pretty friendly call in the first Merseyside derby last year.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #57: Sep 26, 2012 10:59:49 pm
      I recall us getting a pretty friendly call in the first Merseyside derby last year

So we've got to go back that far for the last decent decision?  :roll:

I'm trying not to get paranoid about it but refs seem hell bent on screwing us this season.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #58: Sep 26, 2012 11:01:55 pm

He did let of Sahin for a blatent yellow card offence when he pulled someone's shirt back as they burst past him
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #59: Sep 26, 2012 11:04:14 pm
      Supporters of every club can point to sh*t calls against them. It's just one of things that is more noticeable when it happens than when a referee has a good game.

I recall us getting a pretty friendly call in the first Merseyside derby last year.

Could be right Kev, I know exactly where you're coming from and I can't back it up with any evidence I just have this overwhelming feeling of us getting the rough end of the stick on such a regular basis that it's become expected that decisions go against us. That isn't just this season it's felt like it's gone on for a very long time. Like you say a bad decision is always going to attract more attention and sometimes we interpret things as wrong when it's possibly just us being wrong but as wrong as it could be it does feel like something doesn't fit right with the weight of decisions that go against us.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Sep 26, 2012 11:08:12 pm

I'm trying not to get paranoid about it but refs seem hell bent on screwing us this season.

Could be right Kev, I know exactly where you're coming from and I can't back it up with any evidence I just have this overwhelming feeling of us getting the rough end of the stick on such a regular basis that it's become expected that decisions go against us. That isn't just this season it's felt like it's gone on for a very long time. Like you say a bad decision is always going to attract more attention and sometimes we interpret things as wrong when it's possibly just us being wrong but as wrong as it could be it does feel like something doesn't fit right with the weight of decisions that go against us.

I just think it's a bit blown out of proportion. I think we'd all generally struggle to remember little things and bad calls that went our way, but can easily remember when we got shafted. These past couple of games have been unlucky, mind you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Suarez's goal against Man City come after a pretty soft free kick? I could be remembering it wrong.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Sep 26, 2012 11:59:40 pm

More recently, cast your mind back to the Man United game, Shelvey should have been booked for that first challenge.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #62: Sep 27, 2012 12:55:44 am
      More recently, cast your mind back to the Man United game, Shelvey should have been booked for that first challenge.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Refs have been poor for a long time in this league and every team gets decisions against them but more and more lately, I feel we are getting far less than we should be from them.
      Put it this way, I entered my prediction as Liverpool 2 - 3 ManUre, even though I was confident that we would be the better team. They were always going to get a helping hand from their 12th man at some point.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #63: Sep 27, 2012 01:08:40 am
      I was begining to think there was a conspiracy against Liverpool, but thats nonsense. What isn't, is that just about every club in the prem agree that the scum get preferential treatment, especially on the major decisions in a game, so it's more likely that there is a conspiracy in favour of the mancs, rather than against any other club. Or possibly, with all the betting syndicates involved in football, and the state of such in the Italian leagues, maybe it's now reality the u.k. and some of the refs have been reached. I can't believe after the major decisions on Sunday, Halsey can hold his head high and say he had a decent game. How can anyone perform like that and continue as if everything was normal. either he's is on the take or he has sleepless nights. Other than that, the mans soul less. I'm sure if it was genuine mistakes he would have watched re runs and been man enough to apologise, but no, he's actually surprised he got vilified. tw*t.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #64: Sep 27, 2012 01:23:25 am
      Quote from: KopiteLuke on Yesterday at 11:04:14 PM

I've also been feeling this for some time, and with the F.A. playing thier part in the justice for the 96 conspiracy, I do some times wonder if they are trying to manufacture our demise. We have been a thorn in their sides really, as they probably new something of the deception, if not all, and were aware we wouldn't go away without a result. Bit far fetched ? stranger things have happened.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #65: Sep 27, 2012 10:08:34 am
      lancashirelad
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • I'm only satisfied with the best
      Reply #66: Sep 27, 2012 02:45:41 pm
      How long are we going to put with sixths crap, its time to implement a replay system, the game is too fast now for the referees, they miss so many thing.
      Every Monday morning sports programs are dedicated to referees mistakes.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #67: Sep 27, 2012 11:41:19 pm
      I won't re-post the whole article because it is in the Brendan Rodgers thread but it's clearly not just us fans being paranoid, he has contacted Mike Riley about the amount of decisions that have gone against us so far this season, stating ""It's just become quite obvious, especially after last night's game."
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #68: Sep 28, 2012 01:58:13 am
      the game is too fast now for the referees, they miss so many thing.

Hit the nail on the head right there fella. Not to mention, things like shoving in the box during corners have gone unpunished for so long now it would be almost impossible to start calling it.

Quick Reply