Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Referees influence games more than the players and managers

Read 19649 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Referees influence games more than the players and managers
      Reply #69: Sep 28, 2012 03:37:08 pm

Shocking tackle and wasn't even a booking. Look at Lukaku in the background - he thinks it's a red. But fair play to Jordan for just getting on with it. (credit to Feint Zebra)
      TheSturridgeShake
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 61 posts | 20 
      • JFT96 <3
      Reply #70: Sep 29, 2012 02:51:16 am

Shocking tackle and wasn't even a booking. Look at Lukaku in the background - he thinks it's a red. But fair play to Jordan for just getting on with it. (credit to Feint Zebra)

Coming down on the back of someone like that could have snapped his ankle back on itself. Jordan is very lucky to get out of that without being seriously injured.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #71: Sep 29, 2012 05:06:15 pm
      sh*te decision again today ,the list gets longer .The Norwich player Barnsley i think his name is chopped Suarez down , it was  blatantly clear and still nothing doing.Conspiracy me thinks.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #72: Sep 29, 2012 05:44:22 pm
      sh*te decision again today ,the list gets longer .The Norwich player Barnsley i think his name is chopped Suarez down , it was  blatantly clear and still nothing doing.Conspiracy me thinks.

Barnett, I think.

And it looked, to me, more like some kind of American wrestling move than a footballing challenge.

Didn't effect today's result, thankfully, but surely another indication that referees in England are allowing themselves to be influenced by public opinion more than by their own eyes.

Truly awful decision.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #73: Sep 29, 2012 05:49:30 pm
      Again, I'm not going to let a good result wash over the fact that decisions went against us again today. It wasn't just the penalty decision alone, Barnett should never have made it through the game without a red, he kicked Luis all over the place.
      That's fine though because he's a horrible little racist, right?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #74: Sep 29, 2012 05:55:42 pm
      Barnett, I think.

And it looked, to me, more like some kind of American wrestling move than a footballing challenge.

Didn't effect today's result, thankfully, but surely another indication that referees in England are allowing themselves to be influenced by public opinion more than by their own eyes.

Truly awful decision.
      My bad , Barnett he is . definitely as Rep said public opinion and interfering from higher powers are influencing the ref's  decisions. Truely awful decision for not allowing a penalty to Suarez.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #75: Sep 29, 2012 05:58:00 pm
      Again, I'm not going to let a good result wash over the fact that decisions went against us again today. It wasn't just the penalty decision alone, Barnett should never have made it through the game without a red, he kicked Luis all over the place.
      That's fine though because he's a horrible little racist, right?

Agree with you mate.

On the Suarez peno not being given, I said in today's match thread, do these refs not review games after the weekend?  Can they not see that he is constantly being fouled when he goes down?  Two weekends in a row, two fouls on him in the box, same result both times, no penalty.

Disgusting bias.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #76: Sep 29, 2012 07:25:35 pm
      'We're gonna have a party,
      we're gonna have a party,
      we're gonna have a paaarrrtty,
      when Suarez wins a pen!' 
      TheSturridgeShake
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 61 posts | 20 
      • JFT96 <3
      Reply #77: Sep 29, 2012 07:56:36 pm
      'We're gonna have a party,
      we're gonna have a party,
      we're gonna have a paaarrrtty,
      when Suarez wins a pen!'

:P
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #78: Sep 29, 2012 08:01:22 pm
      Penalty and surely a clear goal scoring opportunity? Unless Suarez was heading away from goal, I don't recall.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #79: Sep 29, 2012 10:37:12 pm
      Stonewall penalty not given. Pretty blatant stuff.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #80: Sep 30, 2012 10:29:43 am
      Surely they have to have a word now...

Thats about the 3rd stonewall pen that we have been denied - for no reason! If BR keeps talking about it then perhaps this will change, however this didnt happen last season. So where do we go from here?

As B-Rod said, we want to play fair, but it works both ways. If ref's keep missing this then there are two things that stand out. There is (and I am not so sure) a massive anti Suarez / Liverpool conspiricy. Go on to any other teams forum and you will see the same - even Utd fans are saying that there is a rue out to get them after they got less than 2 days added time yesterday (again, if Kenny said that last season then he would have been strung up!)...

Or (and what I beleive) Premier refs are well below par - they have bad judgement and the players and or players perception holds too much influence over them. Refs have a hard job, but they are simply not good enough to do the job. This is a much bigger issue and I beleive that they are hanging on by a thread before someone / everyone kicks off. I know there is all this respect stuff, but can you imagine the frustration the players must feel when they drop an absolute clanger like yesterday?!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,366 posts | 1538 
      Reply #81: Sep 30, 2012 11:12:50 am
      It's beyond me why we can't have replays in football like we do in just about every other sport. Even if it were for incidents in and around the box. Usually a coming together in the box results in a pen, a free kick to the defending team, a corner or a goal kick. So where would the hold up be, in 90% of incidents the game is held up anyway, so what's wrong with the 4th official correcting the ref from a replay which would take about 6 seconds. Refs, umpires and judges from other sports are not offended if their decisions are corrected. What sort of people have referees become if thats a problem for them. Do they really think they are above reproach ?  wierd wierd people if that's the case.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #82: Sep 30, 2012 12:05:24 pm
      It's beyond me why we can't have replays in football like we do in just about every other sport. Even if it were for incidents in and around the box. Usually a coming together in the box results in a pen, a free kick to the defending team, a corner or a goal kick. So where would the hold up be, in 90% of incidents the game is held up anyway, so what's wrong with the 4th official correcting the ref from a replay which would take about 6 seconds. Refs, umpires and judges from other sports are not offended if their decisions are corrected. What sort of people have referees become if thats a problem for them. Do they really think they are above reproach ?  wierd wierd people if that's the case.
      I'll totally against that idea but I don't think we should go into that in this thread, it's been covered extensively elsewhere.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,027 posts | 3959 
      Reply #83: Sep 30, 2012 01:04:30 pm
      I'll totally against that idea but I don't think we should go into that in this thread, it's been covered extensively elsewhere.
      It appears to be the only solution Rep, when a shitload of money and a club's success or failure is dependant on the questionable decision making of some officials.
      The appearance of extra officials on a trial basis merely confirms that human error is a consistent phenomenon.
      There is another thread on the same topic but with no answer to the quandary in respect of referees unfairly and unduly affecting games, the only solution is technology and it's unquestionable judgement.
      Some devious individuals actually manipulate said faulted referees and are rewarded with tainted victories, by their very nature such people care not a jot how shitty their prize is, their more principled adverseries are left to ponder the cost of honesty.     
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #84: Sep 30, 2012 01:18:08 pm
      It appears to be the only solution Rep, when a shitload of money and a club's success or failure is dependant on the questionable decision making of some officials.
      The appearance of extra officials on a trial basis merely confirms that human error is a consistent phenomenon.
      There is another thread on the same topic but with no answer to the quandary in respect of referees unfairly and unduly affecting games, the only solution is technology and it's unquestionable judgement.
      Some devious individuals actually manipulate said faulted referees and are rewarded with tainted victories, by their very nature such people care not a jot how shitty their prize is, their more principled adverseries are left to ponder the cost of honesty.     

As I said, Stuey, I don't really want to derail this thread when the topic is already covered elsewhere but I am totally against the rugby-esque sanitisation and stop start nature of their sport. To say a decision would take 6 seconds is a complete fallacy, contradicted in most games of rugger week in, week out. Having the benefit of video replays puts even more pressure in the officials to make absolutely the correct decision so play often stops for 1, 2 or even 3 minutes while they watch replay after replay, it would bring an end to the free-flowering game we love.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #85: Sep 30, 2012 01:23:07 pm
      With regards the decision yesterday:

It's almost funny, the moment I saw it I knew he wouldn't give it because it was Luis. It's utterly disgusting that thoughts like that should even enter my head. He's getting victimised in his workplace he could get the ref's done for systematic bullying and that's no word of a lie. They're also fuelling hatred towards him which is completely unjustified which absolutely boils my blood when players like Luis need protection and if anything should get the benefit of the doubt rather than complete bias against them, refs in my eyes are an absolute embarrassment to the game at the moment and they should be ashamed of the standards they're setting.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #86: Sep 30, 2012 01:50:41 pm
      With regards the decision yesterday:

It's almost funny, the moment I saw it I knew he wouldn't give it because it was Luis. It's utterly disgusting that thoughts like that should even enter my head. He's getting victimised in his workplace he could get the ref's done for systematic bullying and that's no word of a lie. They're also fuelling hatred towards him which is completely unjustified which absolutely boils my blood when players like Luis need protection and if anything should get the benefit of the doubt rather than complete bias against them, refs in my eyes are an absolute embarrassment to the game at the moment and they should be ashamed of the standards they're setting.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it out of sheer disbelief. Only, I could actually believe it.

Why are refs allowed to do this sort of thing and get away with it without even having to explain?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,027 posts | 3959 
      Reply #87: Sep 30, 2012 03:06:06 pm
      As I said, Stuey, I don't really want to derail this thread when the topic is already covered elsewhere but I am totally against the rugby-esque sanitisation and stop start nature of their sport. To say a decision would take 6 seconds is a complete fallacy, contradicted in most games of rugger week in, week out. Having the benefit of video replays puts even more pressure in the officials to make absolutely the correct decision so play often stops fholding continuityor 1, 2 or even 3 minutes while they watch replay after replay, it would bring an end to the free-flowering game we love.
      Completely agree about retaining continuity, allowing the game to flow and it could be said that the cheats both on and off the pitch do not contribute to that philosophy and can have a more detrimental impact on a match than any interruption.
      It is no coincidence that the cheats are also against the concept of technological decision making for obvious reasons.
      If it were used in particular incidents and not every time the whistle was blown it could be a very feasible proposition, goal line and penalty decisions would take precedent with fouls etc left in the hands of the officials that way the free flowing game would be subject to minimal interruption.
      The implications of faulted refereeing decisions are unacceptable in a footballing and financial context.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #88: Sep 30, 2012 03:59:20 pm
      As I said, Stuey, I don't really want to derail this thread when the topic is already covered elsewhere but I am totally against the rugby-esque sanitisation and stop start nature of their sport. To say a decision would take 6 seconds is a complete fallacy, contradicted in most games of rugger week in, week out. Having the benefit of video replays puts even more pressure in the officials to make absolutely the correct decision so play often stops for 1, 2 or even 3 minutes while they watch replay after replay, it would bring an end to the free-flowering game we love.

Allow refs to correct mistakes after games, including yellows.  I don't expect refs to get every call right, but they should be allowed to review the game and apply justice afterwards.  On the whole, I don't think refs make any more mistakes than the average player does during the game.  It's all I ask, review the game, talk to the press about your decisions and we, fans as a whole, need to stop expecting refs to get every decision right.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #89: Oct 01, 2012 01:39:04 pm

This all day, every day, for me and it makes my piss boil.

Whilst the old adages; "these things even themselves out" and "refs are only human" tend to hold some truth: it's way beyond that in the case of Suarez.

He's been earmarked by the media, the FA, players, fans and now referees for different treatment and anyone with a decent bone in their body can see it. Each and every time he's kicked and hits the deck opposing players cry that he's diving, opposing fans call him cheat and refs wave it away safe in the knowledge they won't be 'pulled' by either the media or the FA.

Now whilst I don't expect the FA, our opponents or the media to rally 'round; I would take it as read that Reds do. Luis is being victimised and bullied in his workplace... let's not buy into this 'it'll even it's self out' sh*te anymore.  >:D
      TheSturridgeShake
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 61 posts | 20 
      • JFT96 <3
      Reply #90: Oct 01, 2012 01:49:33 pm
      Allow refs to correct mistakes after games, including yellows.  I don't expect refs to get every call right, but they should be allowed to review the game and apply justice afterwards.  On the whole, I don't think refs make any more mistakes than the average player does during the game.  It's all I ask, review the game, talk to the press about your decisions and we, fans as a whole, need to stop expecting refs to get every decision right.

If that happened then Manchester United wouldn't have a card all season as Fergie would get his friends up at the FA Headquarters to get his players off.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,027 posts | 3959 
      Reply #91: Oct 01, 2012 02:17:01 pm
      F**k nose ferguson's plot has succeeded beyond his wildest whiskey haze, his initial statement about the lad [Luis Suarez] diving was immediately siezed upon by his co-conspirators in the FA and subsequently the mindset of officials was set - it is quite perverse that the situation prevails.

Quick Reply