Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

Wisdom
      (26.5%)
      Allen
      (4.4%)
      Sahin
      (4.4%)
      Suarez
      (33.8%)
      Sterling
      (8.8%)
      Suso
      (2.9%)
      Agger
      (19.1%)

Liverpool 0-0 Stoke Rugby Team - In-game & post-match frustration

Read 34420 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Liverpool Vs Stoke City: Live Match Thread:
      Reply #483: Oct 07, 2012 05:19:14 pm
      That may well be corb but they have both played very well in those positions they were in today and I think it's more a case of them playing well below standard rather than the boss playing them out of position.

Against Norwich ya but in his 2 games against West Brom and Young Boys he played the deep lying role and dictated the game for us
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #484: Oct 07, 2012 05:20:00 pm
      Today made me realise that our 75% possession means nothing at all if we do not score.

I believe we are playing well enough to score, and to win games, but it's not enough, we need to raise our game to the next level. We can't keep blaming posts and luck. There are very wily managers out there who will simply tell their players; 'Let Liverpool have the ball, let them pass it around the back four and midfield, and simply close them down in the last 3rd'.

Possession never scored a goal and never once has been worth so much as a point.

The good news is that the Gaffer knows this, and will put it right - that's if our owners allow him to do so.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #485: Oct 07, 2012 05:20:43 pm
      Thought bringing Cole on for Suso was a strange sub by Rodgers

Yeah, that was strange alright and Cole hasn't played a competitive game for us since he got injured and he looked lost on the field most of the time, not knowing what to do with the ball. A sign of lack of understanding with the forward line. I thought Borini would ave been a better option.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #486: Oct 07, 2012 05:22:49 pm
      What we needed was to get down the flanks behind the full backs and get quality balls driven in along the 6 yd line. sh*t to defend against however many you have at the back. Just never happened. Every time we got round the back, the ball was cut back 15yds or the player cut inside and tried a shot from an acute angle, or cut inside and laid the ball back  outside the line of defenders, then we had to start all over again ? 
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #487: Oct 07, 2012 05:23:23 pm
      It's all about movement up front, with the front players always on their toes, looking for gaps, and making themselves available at all times.

The amount of times our midfield had to pass sideways because there was no one moving into space up front was criminal
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #488: Oct 07, 2012 05:25:26 pm
      Against Norwich ya but in his 2 games against West Brom and Young Boys he played the deep lying role and dictated the game for us

I think when the oposition sit outside their own box for 90% of the game, with only 1 up front, there isn't a 'deep role' to play, there's just open space !
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #489: Oct 07, 2012 05:27:51 pm
      Gerrard and Allen were beside each other Sahin was ahead of them, I would have preferred Gerrard and Sahin to swop positions with Sahin ditating the game facing the play rather than recieving it with his back to goal.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #490: Oct 07, 2012 05:30:41 pm
      Joe Allen only lost possession of the ball 6 times for #LFC today… Stevie? 36 times!! According to transfer specs, I don't doubt it either. Looking at the number though is shocking.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #491: Oct 07, 2012 05:31:52 pm
      Jaysus 36 times that is shocking for any Premiership player
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #492: Oct 07, 2012 05:32:25 pm
      I personally think there is pretty much no way of playing against a side like Stoke today. Stoke had no intention of playing football and sadly it takes two teams who want to play football to have a football match. All of our play was disrupted by cynical fouls and pushes in the back that the ref seemingly didnt notice so it was impossible to get going.

A poor performance overall but to be honest it is incredibly difficult playing against a team like that.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #493: Oct 07, 2012 05:34:33 pm
      he was very wasteful today. i would expect him to lose posession more then allen because he plays further up and he plays attacking game, where as allen plays more an alonse type role. but still, he hasn't been his best this season.

the joke that is stoke aside (refs and fa need to get a grip and yellow/red card them more to stamp out their patheitc tactics), we still rely too much on suarez for creating chances. suso should have stayed on.

we didn't deserve to win. very disappointed.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #494: Oct 07, 2012 05:34:51 pm
      Jaysus 36 times that is shocking for any Premiership player
      36 times would be shocking for me to be honest
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke Rugby Team - In-game & post-match frustration
      Reply #495: Oct 07, 2012 05:37:37 pm
      36 times would be shocking for me to be honest

Agree.

I'd fancy myself to keep the ball better than that and I'm very average to say the least.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #496: Oct 07, 2012 05:39:53 pm
      On a plus side Adam no longer plays for the club and we managed to get 5 million for him.
      redcod81
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #497: Oct 07, 2012 05:41:05 pm
      No plan B when we did'nt get a goal first half .I love the passing game but most if not all good passing sides have a target man in their squad even Barca send Pique up front if struggling late on .City won many points last season bringing Dzeko on late including on the last day to win the league .I'm fully behing BR but we all knew the transfer window cock up would lose us points and today we lost 2.Big Andy is'nt the answer because he wants to start games ,we just need someone half decent at causing problems in the air against bully's like Huth and Shawcross and who does not mind being a squad player.Teams will copy what Stoke did today and if we don't get an early goal we'll be knackered.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #498: Oct 07, 2012 05:43:27 pm
      What we needed was to get down the flanks behind the full backs and get quality balls driven in along the 6 yd line. Sh*t to defend against however many you have at the back. Just never happened. Every time we got round the back, the ball was cut back 15yds or the player cut inside and tried a shot from an acute angle, or cut inside and laid the ball back  outside the line of defenders, then we had to start all over again ? 

Can't say it any better. More reason for us to put enough bodies inside their box and create enough confusion, havoc and perhaps mistakes by Stoke to create the openings. But no, we tried the slick 1-2-3 combos that often comes to nothing and will never split an 8-man defence unless our final final pass is of great precision, but we're not at that level at the moment.

Stoke played a neat defence game while we played an even neater game of passes around the half way line and it seems both complimented each other.

I hate to say this and I'll most probably get walloped here, I felt Stevie and Suarez are playing in the world of their own most of the time, when it comes to attack it's always been them both and the rest were like spectators or shying away or not brave enough to get involved because both Stevie and Suarez are at another level and you wouldn't want to upset them both, would you? BR will have to change all this soon.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #499: Oct 07, 2012 05:49:45 pm
      I hate to say this and I'll most probably get walloped here, I felt Stevie and Suarez are playing in the world of their own most of the time, when it comes to attack it's always been them both and the rest were like spectators or shying away or not brave enough to get involved because both Stevie and Suarez are at another level and you wouldn't want to upset them both, would you? BR will have to change all this soon.
      Agreed - the star is supposed to be the team, not any one individual player.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #500: Oct 07, 2012 05:51:22 pm
      Agreed - the star is supposed to be the team, not any one individual player.

Suarez is the star, if we lose him to injury we are fu**ed
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #501: Oct 07, 2012 05:51:55 pm
      Well, a clean sheet at last, but a poor performance from our midfield today. 

Suso had some bright patches, Agger and Skrtel kept Crouch quiet and I thought Wisdom had a very good game.

Really hope Mason didn't see that stamp, because the FA have to take action against Huth. 

Suarez did  himself no favours with that dive, no need to throw himself down after his slip.

Really starting to get tired of Reina berating others for his mistakes.
      sabbath
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #502: Oct 07, 2012 05:57:01 pm
      Joe Allen only lost possession of the ball 6 times for #LFC today… Stevie? 36 times!! According to transfer specs, I don't doubt it either. Looking at the number though is shocking.

Im sure Stevie wouldn't have lost it as much if all he did was little sideways passes. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #503: Oct 07, 2012 06:01:13 pm
      I'd fancy myself to keep the ball better than that and I'm very average to say the least.

It's all relative tho'; ain't it?

I mean; personally, I'd rather Stevie 'lost' the ball 50 times, trying to create and drive forward, than holding onto it and tippi-F***ing-tapping it about all day and never losing it. Like I say that's just me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #504: Oct 07, 2012 06:03:21 pm
      It's all relative tho'; ain't it?

I mean; personally, I'd rather Stevie 'lost' the ball 50 times, trying to create and drive forward, than holding onto it and tippi-f**king-tapping it about all day and never losing it. Like I say that's just me.

Fair point mouse and Stevie is always going to give the ball away more than Allen for example as he is looking for a more creative ball but he was still well below his best today I thought.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #505: Oct 07, 2012 06:04:09 pm
      Well, a clean sheet at last, but a poor performance from our midfield today. 

First one in the league since the end of April according to some on twitter  :o

Which ever Mod has changed the thread title, thank you!  Made me smile at least.

Can't think of anything constructive to say right now.  Really disappointing, could have done with a win going into the International break.

Sigh.

Quick Reply