Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Portsmouth go in to administration

Read 2020 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Portsmouth go in to administration
      Feb 26, 2010 12:41:09 pm
      As expected Portsmouth have voluntarily gone in to administration today to prevent the Inland Revenue winding the business up on Monday.

They have debts of about £60M and will receive a 9 point penalty - effectively meaning they will get relegated this season.

So they escape liquidation which would have definitely helped Liverpool but that aside, I wonder what's going to happen to them.  The job of the administrator who now runs the club is to pay off all the creditors.

How are they going to find £60M from that club - I wouldn't say they even have a playing squad that could command that in transfers.

Bad times ahead for the club - and even if they survive I can see them going straight down out of the Championship door next season in to League one.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Re: Portsmouth go in to administration
      Reply #1: Feb 26, 2010 04:03:24 pm
      Not good news for English football. Cant really see any of their players getting a high transfer fee, Piquionne and Ben-Haim get them 15 Mil but not much more.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Feb 26, 2010 04:06:17 pm
      Not good news for English football. Cant really see any of their players getting a high transfer fee, Piquionne and Ben-Haim get them 15 Mil but not much more.

Piquionne isn't their player. On loan from Lyon.

Not nice to see this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Feb 26, 2010 04:53:56 pm
      No matter what ye think about them you have to feel sorry for the thousands of genuine fans who are watching there club fall apart
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Feb 26, 2010 05:54:14 pm
      No matter what ye think about them you have to feel sorry for the thousands of genuine fans who are watching there club fall apart

Agreed.

Except for that tit with all the tattoos who never wears a top. He's a knobhead him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #5: Feb 26, 2010 05:57:38 pm
      Agreed.

Except for that tit with all the tattoos who never wears a top. He's a knobhead him.
      It's all his fault.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Feb 26, 2010 06:04:37 pm
      FA Cup two years ago, now freefalling from the Premier League. Not good at all this.
      icebreaker
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 26, 2010 07:33:52 pm
      What happens to the Portsmouth game now ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Feb 26, 2010 09:34:16 pm

Not a chance would they get anywhere near £15M. Anyway like Ross said, Piquionne is only on loan.
      I thought it was a 10 point deduction? Swear that's what Bournemouth and Saints got :-\
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Feb 26, 2010 09:37:00 pm

Nothing I presume.

The game will still be played.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #10: Feb 26, 2010 10:03:14 pm
      Somebody go through the Premier League table and take out Portsmouth results.

Then you can work out how the 19 Premier League clubs vote next week when they decide whether to allow Portsmouth to sell players.

Bet Liverpool vote no. ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #11: Feb 26, 2010 10:04:52 pm

They're coming up but they can't afford a hotel.

They're camping in the dressing room.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #12: Feb 26, 2010 10:14:17 pm
      i feel so sorry for portsmouth......

but they were :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: gonna get relegated anyway
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #13: Apr 09, 2010 10:57:15 pm
      Club shirts now selling for £4.99.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Apr 09, 2010 10:58:41 pm
      Club shirts now selling for £4.99.

Bloody hell!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Apr 09, 2010 11:01:00 pm
      Give it until they have been knocked out the FA Cup and relegated this week and they will have a further 50% off.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #16: Apr 09, 2010 11:02:13 pm
      I feel genuinely gutted for them. Being a Livingston supporter ive been through administration twice, its a horrible thing not knowing if your club is going to make it.

All the best for them.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Apr 09, 2010 11:03:49 pm
      Shorts from 2.99, socks from 99p - if i were a Pompey fan, id be buying a truckload :D

Sucks for them, i do hope they can turn themselves around.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #18: Apr 09, 2010 11:22:06 pm
      Wow.

I was an admirer of Pompey when they won the FA Cup, but they've gone way down in my estimation.

It's not their fault, it's their owners. Thank God our owners aren't as bad as them. Just proves things could be worse for us. Much worse.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #19: Apr 13, 2010 12:43:25 pm
      Heard before that because their in administration, they can't enter european competitions, meaning 7th place in the prem is now good enough to qualify for europe.

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #20: Apr 13, 2010 02:30:28 pm
      Just go into F***ing liquidation!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2012 05:18:34 pm
      Portsmouth: Supporters' Trust named 'preferred bidder'

Administrators of Portsmouth - PKF - have named the Pompey Supporters' Trust as their new 'preferred bidder' to buy the financially-troubled club.
      Pompey, who are £61m in debt, have been in administration since February.

PKF will work with the PST and resume talks with the Football League to bring the club out of administration.

Balram Chainrai had previously been PKF's preferred bidder but it is understood the Football League has raised concerns over his suitability.

"After extensive discussions over the past few weeks, we have today nominated Portsmouth Supporters' Trust as the preferred bidder for Portsmouth Football Club," confirmed joint administrator Trevor Birch.

"We will be working with the Trust, the Football League and the Professional Footballers' Association to conclude the sale of the club as soon as possible."
      The PST has been vying for control of Pompey with former club chairman Chainrai's company Portpin for several months now.

On Friday concerns emerged as to whether Portpin would pass the Football League's 'owners and directors' test.

One of the stipulations of the test is that an owner or director cannot have been involved with a club that has twice gone into administration.

Chainrai was in control of Pompey when they went into administration in 2010, and may have had some involvement as a shadow director when they were placed into administration for a second time in February 2012.

Portpin has always denied this is the case but PKF has now turned to the PST as it looks to bring the club out of administration.

That scenario is still a long way off and the PST still has to satisfy the Football League of its suitability while it will also need to go through the 'owners and directors' test.

The Trust also needs to satisfy the Football League it can sustain the ownership of the club in the long term.

Any takeover is also likely to be met with resistance from Chainrai, who is still owed around £18m by the club and holds Fratton Park as security.

The PST has offered Chainrai £2.75m for Fratton Park. If he refuses to sell the Trust could try to force a court to release his charge on Fratton Park and sell the stadium at the market rate.

Another possibility is that PKF could ask Portpin and the PST to reach an amicable solution for the sale of Fratton Park.

If not, that could lead to a costly legal fight that would ultimately put the club into more debt.

The PST is led by Ashley Brown and backed by, among others, local businessman Iain McInnes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19983822

Quick Reply