Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Raheem Sterling
      1 (0.8%)
      Oussama Assaidi
      77 (65.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      4 (3.4%)
      Andre Wisdom
      16 (13.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      13 (11%)
      Luis Suarez
      1 (0.8%)
      Stewart Downing
      3 (2.5%)
      Some other la
      3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Voting closed: Oct 28, 2012 09:40:14 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Anzhi Makhachkala: In game and Post Match Pleasure

Read 26487 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool V Anzhi Makhachkala
      Reply #345: Oct 25, 2012 10:31:22 pm
      When you said we played "terrible" in your first post I thought maybe it was an oversight.. But you've said it numerous times now, and Im afraid to be the one to tell you this, but thats absolute horse sh*t. By no stretch of the imagination did we play "terrible" at any point during that game tonight.

We were far from our best, not disputing that. But against a team who have lost 1 game in 21, are flying at the top of the Russian league and who have some genuinely quality players that I'd love to see in our ranks, we nullified them to very little chances & controlled the game for the overwhelming majority of the match.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but that doen't expect your 'opinion' to be questioned, when it is in fact horse sh*t.

Well said. Couldn't agree more with your analysis.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #346: Oct 25, 2012 10:33:10 pm
      I only caught the last 30 minutes, that wasn't ugly at all.  A bit scrappy at times, but far from ugly.

Then you caught probably what was our worst spell of the match as well Rod.

We played some decent stuff tonight, far from spellbinding, but anyone labeling it a "terrible performance" is off their tits.

Had we won 8-0 tonight some people would be complaining we'd scored too many goals. Baffling at times on here.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #347: Oct 25, 2012 10:33:11 pm
      I only caught the last 30 minutes, that wasn't ugly at all.  A bit scrappy at times, but far from ugly.

I would take that everyday Rodders, as I think we all would including BR.

Win is a win and that was not Gomel we were playing.
      sofkop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #348: Oct 25, 2012 10:33:12 pm
      Btw Gerrard was awful and Suarez's decision making was laughable at times. Joe's introduction was crucial in us hanging onto the 3 points and there is no reason Brad Jones should be dropped for the derby. Deserves it. That chance that Eto'o had when Downing slid it across our own penalty area, I couldn't help but think 'Reina would have totally flapped at that'.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #349: Oct 25, 2012 10:33:29 pm
      Conor McNamara ‏@ConorMcNamaraIE
      The ref is right about Agger. FIFA laws state a goalkeeper is in control of the ball "while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand".

Looks like the ref got it right with Agger's cheeky trick.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #350: Oct 25, 2012 10:33:33 pm
      Pretty poor game with the odd spell of decent football.

We won which is good but definatly need to improve considerably for Sunday. Especially the Captain and Suarez - not the best game by their standards
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #351: Oct 25, 2012 10:34:07 pm
      The ref is right about Agger. FIFA laws state a goalkeeper is in control of the ball "while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand".

That rule was changed a while ago now
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #352: Oct 25, 2012 10:36:23 pm
      That rule was changed a while ago now

Changed to or from what I quoted?
      sofkop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #353: Oct 25, 2012 10:36:55 pm

It was quite clear. Stuff like that hasn't been allowed for years but that was funny of Agger to try. Gave the Kop a good laugh. I don't think anybody really expected it to stand. Agger looked utterly convinced of it though haha. Great finish mind you! Volley on the half turn is always impressive and from a CB.

Agger and Skrtel are clearly getting their mojo back. We leave them so exposed but they just clear up everything in front of them. 3 cleansheets in a row.  Have it. The press were creaming themselves over Arsenal doing that earlier in the season, hopefully it lasts for us.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #354: Oct 25, 2012 10:38:17 pm
      My summary :

Brad Jones  :  Did a fantastic job and he looks to be getting better and better but room for improvement in his distribution of the first ball. Reina may have to fight for the spot now. Good to see competition generated internally.

Skrtel  :  Did a solid job and dealt very well with the crosses.

Agger  :  Also did a solid job and very composed and organised the defense very well.

Wisdom   :   What else can I say except he played like a veteran already. Very composed and  dealt with Traore very well.

Downing  :  Played well and was solid. Glad he did his talking on the pitch. The rest should learn from Downing how to shoot properly.

Jonjo  : Did reasonably well with his movement and his quick thinking created some openings but still his first touch at the most crucial moment let him down, it has been there all along. More training will help here.

Sahin  :  Pretty average, didn't do much wrong but didn't created much either.

Allen  : Gave the midfield a bit more stability since he came on.

Stevie  :  Sprayed some useful passes, pretty average but really need to improve and shoot more accurately. his shots have been off target most of the time of late. Hope that improves against the bitters.

Assaidi  :  Brilliant performance from him but no one gets to his final pass, what a waste. BR needs to work on that.

Sterling  :  Did very well and was a constant threat to Anzhi. Created some openings and is now grown to become a bit more greedy. He should have passed to Suarez at one point but chose to shoot. BR must address this problem, greater awareness of others inside the box and to play as a team.

Suarez  :  Dissapointed with him. I've been defending him all along but some of his actions in this match were unwarranted. Why need to be sarcastic to the ref when he has already given him a free kick at one point while his rugby tackle on an Anzhi defender inside the box should have been a yellow. Not sure what he did after that, that got him a yellow. He looked like in sixes and sevens in this match. He was constantly shoved from the back, don't expect defenders to give him time and space. Should have learnt from Drogba how to toughen himself up and shield his body from defenders with his hand or back onto the defenders.

Ref did ok, didn't see much wrong and much much better than those amateurs from the FA. Our play in the final third needs to improve, better movement and understanding among those in the forward line will help agreat deal. We got a random goal today, not that I'm complaining but should score more goals with better understaning and movement in the final third. I'm looking forward to something like the first goal by Young Boys against Udinese and we're capable of doing that. Udinese lost and the group is wide open and we top the group at the moment but we've 2 tough away games. Overall very happy with the performance.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2012 10:55:31 pm by redkop63 »
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #355: Oct 25, 2012 10:39:39 pm

Changed to what you quoted.

Players were trying to kick the ball out of keepers hand and it was getting dangerous
      sofkop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #356: Oct 25, 2012 10:39:56 pm
      Pretty poor game with the odd spell of decent football.

We won which is good but definatly need to improve considerably for Sunday. Especially the Captain and Suarez - not the best game by their standards

I thought the game was decent. No idea why Anzhi were sat off us so much. It's as if they were scared but good for us, we stayed in control for the whole first half but were pretty impotent up front as per usual. Nervy bits in the second half but still maintained a fair amount of hold on the game. Created a fair few chances. Our movement looks so much better than last season. It still needs work, of course. What we need to cut out more than anything is sitting off opponents after we score. I'm pretty sure Rodgers philosophy would want us to carry on as if nothing had changed. Takes time I suppose.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Anzhi Makhachkala: In game and Post Match Pleasure
      Reply #357: Oct 25, 2012 10:45:17 pm
      Was impressed with Assaidi, played a really good game and was our biggest and most likely creator! As for Suarez, think that was one of his worst games for us, pretty much everything went wrong for him. Got the win and top the group though and that's all that matters!
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #358: Oct 25, 2012 10:48:19 pm
      Don't understand how the word terrible could be used tonight when describing the team performance. We kept the ball well and were always trying to create and be positive. Yes our poorest performer tonight was probably Suarez if we are pointing fingers BUT to use the word terrible is way off the mark. Guess there's no pleasing some people. To say there was nothing positive apart from the defence ?????
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #359: Oct 25, 2012 10:49:14 pm
      Changed to what you quoted.

Players were trying to kick the ball out of keepers hand and it was getting dangerous

I can see the logic behind that. Could lead to a nasty injury.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #360: Oct 25, 2012 10:50:23 pm
      Must applaud Suarez for his reaction when given a free kick late on, I have a go when he doe dive, so have to applaud his more sporting behaviour.   He told the ref he slipped and their was no contact, the commentators seemed to imply all he'd done was try and stop a booking which, excuse the pun, wasn't in the cards. 
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #361: Oct 25, 2012 10:52:44 pm
      Disappointed by our performance really, where has the passing philosophy gone?
      MOTM 1Wisdom, 2Assaidi or 3Skrtel.

Suarez's passing completion should be around 25% I guess. terrible performance and still cannot understand why Morgan or Yesil were not given a chance. There's nothing positive I can take from this performance except the solid defense.

Must have been watching a completely different game to me then. I thought we passed em to death. It was a good win against a very decent and well coached side. We passed the ball well for 75 minutes of the game. We dropped off a touch as it got closer to the finish and they stepped out but on the whole it was a good performance. Most encouraging thing for me was getting another clean sheet + the concentration levels and effort that went in to our defending. You've actually made light of our defending as if it were the only decent thing the lads did but it can be quite important yanno and is not something I would look to trivualise or down-play given the prblems we have had up until recently. that's three on the bounce. Very very important in my book.

Was really impressed with young Assaidi and it looks like we might have got ourself a bargain with this lad. Also thought Wisdom was superb once again.

Only downside is that I do think the game will have taken a bit out of some of the lads going into Sunday.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #362: Oct 25, 2012 11:01:45 pm
      Potato's sides often have a well-instilled sense of discipline, so Anzhi were always going to be hard to break down today.

We did pass them half to death, and that's what our philosophy is about - but there's always that moment of magic that's needed against these sides, and Stewart was the one that provided it tonight.

All in all a very well played game by both sides, let's hope we can keep this win streak going.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #363: Oct 25, 2012 11:02:20 pm
      Only downside is that I do think the game will have taken a bit out of some of the lads going into Sunday.

Or given them a confidence boost that helps build some momentum.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #364: Oct 25, 2012 11:07:58 pm
      Going on a bit of a run atm which is nice. Another clean sheet and another win !

I only got to watch about 70 mins but i thought we played really well. Just need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net regularly up front and we would be flying.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #365: Oct 25, 2012 11:11:51 pm
      Or given them a confidence boost that helps build some momentum.

Yeah it could go the other way I agree fella. However, it wouldn't surprise me if a few of our lads lack that little bit of spark and bite that you need to go out and win a derby. Hope I'm wrong
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #366: Oct 25, 2012 11:36:15 pm

Seems like a lot of goalkeepers aren't aware of that.

I often see goalkeepers tucking the ball into their chest when they see other team players coming toward them (from a standing position).. as if trying to prevent anyone getting it.
      ovs
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #367: Oct 25, 2012 11:36:51 pm
      Good win that, hope Suarez sorts himself out for Sunday though because we look pretty poor in the final third when he's not on form.
      please can somebody advice suarez to always try to be on his feet. He can not be a good striker if he keeps going down.

Quick Reply