Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Liverpool v Swansea League Cup 4th Rd, 31/10/12 KO: 20:00 Pre-Match Thread

Read 14609 times
      sofkop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Re: Liverpool v Swansea League Cup 4th Rd, 31/10/12 KO: 20:00 Pre-Match Thread
      Reply #23: Oct 30, 2012 04:31:49 pm
      And it wouldn't be impossible to win it again this season. Everton/City are already out and one of United/Chelsea will be out by tomorrow. Considering last season it was us who knocked out City and Chelsea. Hopefully we can get a nice and easy run in the cup the way United did last season. Had they not effed up against Palace, they'd have had Cardiff in the semi.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #24: Oct 30, 2012 04:32:19 pm
      Is he not playing in the next gen series ?

Just saw something that said that he was sent home last week to have a weekend with his family and friend before being thrust into the limelight by appearing for the first team within the next few games. He didn't play the derby so I'm guessing it could be this one.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #25: Oct 30, 2012 04:35:26 pm
      Just saw something that said that he was sent home last week to have a weekend with his family and friend before being thrust into the limelight by appearing for the first team within the next few games. He didn't play the derby so I'm guessing it could be this one.

Hope so as he is a cracking player
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Oct 30, 2012 04:46:22 pm
      I am looking forward to a good win against Swansea and hopefully the REF will not have any agendas.I must add a word of caution though,in the 1960s we played Swansea at Anfield in the 6th round of the F.A.Cup and the sods beat us 2-1.I was at Anfield and the gates were klocked well befor the kick off.It turned out to be the most one sided match I have ever seen  and Swansea got 2 breakaways and it was an ex Everton player (Eddie Thomas) who latched onto the ball and put it into the net. Go the REDS it is payback time for our great boss the late great Bill Shankly.

Happier memories for me Billy, I went when we played them in the early seventies in the cup, we won 3-0 and Stjohn came on as sub and scored ..... think it may have been his last goal for us?

When he was coming on I said to my mate that if Stjohn scored I would believe in god..... sadly that belief hasn't lasted as long as my admiration for Stjohn.   
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #27: Oct 30, 2012 04:50:08 pm
      Apparently Suarez won't play tomorrow night either because he is in New York deliberately preventing emergency services from getting aid to victims of Hurricane Suarez.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #28: Oct 30, 2012 04:56:11 pm
      I remember that match. I wasn't there but I remember big John Toshack removing his Swansea tracksuit top to reveal a Liverpool shirt underneath for the minute's silence.

The game your talking about was much much later than the game that Billy is talking about HTH, the time that Tosh took his trackie top off was in season 81/82 season, it was his tribute to Shanks who had died just days beforehand.  :(

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #29: Oct 30, 2012 04:56:43 pm
      Hope so as he is a cracking player

He certainly looked full of potential during pre-season anyways when with the first team.

Surely Coates will also start this one. Looks like Jones will keep his place aswell.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #30: Oct 30, 2012 05:00:46 pm
      Looking forward to making my way up to Anfield for this one, I want another trip to Wem-ber-ley !!!!!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #31: Oct 30, 2012 05:01:06 pm
      The game your talking about was much much later than the game that Billy is talking about HTH, the time that Tosh took his trackie top off was in season 81/82 season, it was his tribute to Shanks who had died just days beforehand.  :(

Ah right. Thanks for putting me straight.  ;)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: Oct 30, 2012 05:01:47 pm
      Rodgers: I'll make changes

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-i-ll-make-changes

Brendan Rodgers admits he will have to make changes to his team for Wednesday's League Cup tie against his former club Swansea.

With the Reds preparing for their fourth fixture in 12 days when the Welsh club arrive at Anfield for the fourth-round clash, the Northern Irishman intends to utilise the depth in his squad - meaning a possible chance for the likes of Jordan Henderson.

"It's a culture that we're looking to create here - one team," the boss explained at his pre-match press briefing. "I said it on the first day I arrived, I'm going to rely on the whole squad. For us to compete in as many competitions as we can, we need everyone.

"They have an outstanding group of players who are very honest and work tirelessly, so it will be a difficult game for us. For us, it will be pretty much more of the same - we'll change the team around.

"Physically there is a big demand on the players, us competing in three competitions. So it's an opportunity for us to bring players into the squad who are working tirelessly every day but obviously they're fresh and fit and ready for the challenge.

"Of course everyone wants to play in the Barclays Premier League team but boys like Jordan - he's a wonderful talent and he's got a great future here. He might not be playing as much as he has done but his appetite, application and willingness to learn and improve has really been fantastic.

"So him and the other guys that are on the outside, of course they're not happy that they're not playing but their attitude and desire to work hard has been incredible. We're a very tight group and that's important.

"We're fighting on a lot of fronts at the moment. We're making progress going up the mountain, as they say. We're in a competition that the club won last year. For us it's an opportunity.

"The players as a group are very tight and the spirit is very strong, and this gives us an opportunity to ensure that those players can maintain their motivation by playing in important games for us. We have the [League Cup] trophy here and we don't want to give it up easy."

Australian 'keeper Brad Jones was between the posts in the previous round against West Brom and has grasped the opportunity offered to him by an injury to teammate Pepe Reina, starting each of the Reds' last three encounters.

Rodgers believes the 30-year-old presents an obvious example of how hard work can allow fringe players to earn a first-team berth.

He said: "I always judge it on its own merit. When I arrived in here, Pepe was the No.1 goalkeeper. His style, temperament and qualities are suited to how I want to work.

"But obviously when he's been out, Brad Jones has done very, very well."

Wednesday's opponents are no strangers to Rodgers, who was in charge of the Swans for two years before being appointed Liverpool manager during the summer.

The 39-year-old is looking forward to seeing some familiar faces but warned that former loyalties will be forgotten when the action gets underway. "I think it's one where you have two hats on," said Rodgers.

"The professional hat, first and foremost, says we want to get through to the quarter-finals. We have got an opportunity, playing at Anfield, which is a wonderful stadium, and a chance to progress in the competition. Nothing will get in the way of that - no sentiment gets in the way of wanting to progress to the next round.

"But it's also good to see people. I had some fantastic professional and personal experiences at Swansea City, and the support I got there was unheralded in terms of the city and the people and south Wales in general. Of course it's a result I always look out for because they're good people and I always want them to do well.

"But obviously we want to win the game. It's the professional challenge, it's our job to focus and concentrate."

Joe Allen could also cross swords with his former employers on Wednesday after switching the Liberty Stadium for Anfield during the close season, and Rodgers expects a warm reception for the midfielder from the visiting support.

The boss said: "I think he'll get a very good reception. He's a kid that has come through the system there, he gave everything to the club in his time.

"He didn't actually live in Swansea, he lived just outside, so he spent many years travelling into his work to train.

"He progressed into the first team, then left. Okay, the supporters are probably disappointed that he went but he has actually given them £15million plus a lot more in all his time there.

"I think the supporters will respect that. He's a wonderful talent and he was brilliant in my time there, the two years. I think they will react accordingly."

MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Oct 30, 2012 05:02:03 pm
      Ah right. Thanks for putting me straight.  ;)

No worries hun xx  :gt-happyup:

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      Don77

• 6,610 posts | 1107 
      Reply #34: Oct 30, 2012 05:22:44 pm
      For me.....

Jones

Flanagan       Carra          Coates       Robinson

Allen

Shelvey           Henderson

Downing                                        Assaidi

Yesil

If Flanagan isn't fit then Wisdom. Could also be a 4-2-3-1 with Allen and Hendo sat in front with shelvey in the middle of the 3 behind Yesil!

Bench :- Reina, Agger, Enrique, Suso, Sterling, Sahin, Suarez

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Oct 30, 2012 05:59:32 pm
      Jones

Flanno (if fit, otherwise Wisdom)
      Coates
      Carragher
      Robinson

Henderson
      Shelvey
      Suso

Downing
      Yesil
      Assaidi
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Oct 30, 2012 06:59:12 pm
      I remember that match. I wasn't there but I remember big John Toshack removing his Swansea tracksuit top to reveal a Liverpool shirt underneath for the minute's silence.
      I hope you do not think I am being sarcastic as John Toshack did not play in that match,he played for Cardiff and signed for us in 1970.You might be getting mixed up when he was player manager of Swansea(back on topic)  after he left us in 1978,cheers just got to hope my memory is not playing tricks on me.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #37: Oct 30, 2012 07:03:30 pm
      I hope you do not think I am being sarcastic as John Toshack did not play in that match,he played for Cardiff and signed for us in 1970.You might be getting mixed up when he was player manager of Swansea(back on topic)  after he left us in 1978,cheers just got to hope my memory is not playing tricks on me.

No worries, Billy. I misread your original post and confused the game you were talking about for another which happened later. Ms Gerrard pointed it out to me.  ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: Oct 30, 2012 07:08:13 pm
      Thanks for the memory Cas,however we still need to have a convincing win against Swansea even if they haven't got Toshack playing for them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #39: Oct 30, 2012 07:13:07 pm
      With it being halloween I would imagine there will be a right crew of people in fancy dress, should be a cracking atmosphere  :f_whistle:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #40: Oct 30, 2012 07:53:34 pm
      My best guess:

Jones
      Carra     Coates
      Flanagan                 Robinson
      Hendo   Jonjo
      Pacheco
      Downing                    Assaidi
      Yesil
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #41: Oct 30, 2012 07:54:58 pm
      Think Flanagan is injured
      Don77

• 6,610 posts | 1107 
      Reply #42: Oct 30, 2012 08:05:54 pm

Saw him interviewed on the lfc channel last week saying he was back in training so he could be available!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #43: Oct 30, 2012 08:08:54 pm
      That would be good then - the more youngsters the better !
      Don77

• 6,610 posts | 1107 
      Reply #44: Oct 30, 2012 08:14:03 pm
      That would be good then - the more youngsters the better !

I like Flanno...had that dodgy game against Blackburn last season but he is better than that and has been unlucky with injuries so it would be good to see him back in a red shirt!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #45: Oct 30, 2012 08:16:05 pm
      Yeah he is a good solid player - think he could be an understudy to Lucas in a protecting role. Unfortunately I think both McLaughlin and Smith are better prospects

Quick Reply