Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Liverpool v Swansea League Cup 4th Rd, 31/10/12 KO: 20:00 Pre-Match Thread

Read 14575 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Liverpool v Swansea League Cup 4th Rd, 31/10/12 KO: 20:00 Pre-Match Thread
      Reply #46: Oct 30, 2012 08:17:10 pm
      Yeah he is a good solid player - think he could be an understudy to Lucas in a protecting role. Unfortunately I think both McLaughlin and Smith are better prospects

I've really been impressed with what I've seen of McLaughlin.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #47: Oct 30, 2012 08:20:51 pm
      ----------------------Jones------------------------
      Wisdom----Carra--------Coates------Downing
      --------------Hendo-------Jonjo-----------------
      Assaidi-------------Pacheco-------------Suso
      ------------------------Yesil----------------------

I can see this being a high scoring game with a lot of chances, hope we can get some goals from the likes of Yesil, Suso and Assaidi 
      Super jack
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #48: Oct 30, 2012 10:41:46 pm
        :mad:Don't get too optimistic remember HUMPTY DUMPTY:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,365 posts | 1538 
      Reply #49: Oct 31, 2012 12:22:31 am
      I would just like to see Yesil step up and perform as he can at this next level for him. Think this game could go 3-2 to us with a load of the youngsters in. Swansea haven't had the best of seasons so far but are quite capable on their day. They dont seem to be able to keep the ball as well as they did last term, and they seem a lot weaker at the back now, but they can still play some decent stuff. Will be a tough game for the young lads but I think theyll have the quality to come through it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #50: Oct 31, 2012 02:11:22 am
      Happier memories for me Billy, I went when we played them in the early seventies in the cup, we won 3-0 and Stjohn came on as sub and scored ..... think it may have been his last goal for us?

When he was coming on I said to my mate that if Stjohn scored I would believe in god..... sadly that belief hasn't lasted as long as my admiration for Stjohn.   
      I will always have a great admiration for StJohn for that goal he scored in 1965 to win the F.A.Cup for the first time.Back on topic it is important that we beat Swansea and make progress in the League Cup.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #51: Oct 31, 2012 02:41:29 am
      Think this game has all the makings of an open game, really looking forward to it a few in The Albert b4? It's be rude not too ;D YNWA
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #52: Oct 31, 2012 06:16:23 am
      Expect to see the likes of Stevie, Luis, Agger etc rested ready for Sunday.

Would like to see Robbo at left back and starts for Henderson, Assaidi etc and I can see Joe Cole starting too.

Basically, I'm hoping for no horror story here and it'd be a nightmare if we didnt win this by a couple of goals,  anything less I would just scream to be honest.  ;)

Still plenty of tickets left so all of you who say you can never get to a game..
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2012 06:34:32 am by kelvo »
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #53: Oct 31, 2012 08:09:50 am
      This is my first LFC game and we have tickets on the Kop!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #54: Oct 31, 2012 08:42:02 am
      This is my first LFC game and we have tickets on the Kop!!
      Enjoy the occasion mate,I am sure you will not be disappointed with Anfield and the REDS.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #55: Oct 31, 2012 08:55:06 am
      It seems like Cole is going to start !! Time for him to earn that £5mil a year maybe. I have no doubt it will be situation normal with him
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #56: Oct 31, 2012 09:18:05 am
      Mike Marsh has revealed Samed Yesil is in contention to make his second senior appearance for Liverpool in tonight's League Cup tie with Swansea City, but Jerome Sinclair is unlikely to be involved.

The duo figured in the third-round victory at West Bromwich Albion, with Yesil starting at the Hawthorns and Sinclair coming off the bench to become the Reds' youngest ever player in history.

However, Marsh claims Liverpool will field a more experienced side against Swansea tonight - though there could be another chance for Yesil.

"I don't think we'll be as young this time around as we were against West Brom," the first-team coach told Liverpoolfc.com. "We will change personnel, but I don't think we'll be as young as we were in that game.

"Jerome has been away with England and had a busy programme, so I think it'll be a chance for one or two others to play - possibly Samed.

"He's doing really well in training and there's a chance he'll be given a shirt."

If Liverpool were to achieve victory over Swansea, it would be another step towards a Wembley return as they look to mount a successful defence of the trophy they lifted at the national stadium in February.

And while Marsh acknowledges Brendan Rodgers' former club will provide a tough test at Anfield, he insists the Reds are determined to go all the way once again.

He said: "The gaffer will know more about them than myself having just come from there, but they're a good footballing side. We've obviously had them watched plenty of times and the manager has got a lot of back knowledge on them, so we'll be well prepared.

"Whatever competition we enter, we want to go as far as we possibly can.

"With the Europa League and Carling Cup, the games come thick and fast - but with a squad of 24/25 players, it's an opportunity to rest one or two and we'll go into the game expecting to get a victory.

"I've been looking at the teams left in the competition. Either Chelsea or Manchester United will go out, so the draw could open up. It's a competition we think we can win again."

After Rodgers left Swansea to take up the Liverpool hot seat in June, the Welsh club moved to appoint Michael Laudrup to the helm - a man Marsh holds great respect for.

"He's was one of the outstanding footballers of his generation," he said. "He's taken well to management in different countries and time will tell whether he has the same success over here.

"As a footballer, he was one of the best.

"If I remember rightly, Michael Laudrup was linked with Liverpool at one time. It was a shame he never came here as I think he would have suited our style of play."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/yesil-in-swans-contention
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #57: Oct 31, 2012 09:37:27 am
      It is all looking positive, in respect with possible starts for Yesil and McLaughlin. From a personal point of view, I would be made up to see Ryan playing. A fella who I have played with on a number of occassions in youth football, as well as played against, I am eager to see him do well as he is a nice genuine guy who is a very talented footballer. Looking forward to seeing the team but, as Marsh said, don't see us going as young and having too many surprises.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #58: Oct 31, 2012 09:45:45 am
      Interesting game against Rodger's old club, could well be a few goals. I wish I could be there, should be quite an open game as Swansea like to play football.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #59: Oct 31, 2012 09:47:36 am
      Win this and we are in the quarters with a real shot of winning.
      Tadders

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #60: Oct 31, 2012 10:39:22 am
      Lets win and get in the quarters....
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #61: Oct 31, 2012 11:05:01 am
      Team I have been sent

Jones

Robinson
      Coates
      Carra
      Downing

Allen
      Shelvey
      Henderson

Cole
      Yesil
      Assaidi
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #62: Oct 31, 2012 11:06:54 am
      Robinson RB?
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #63: Oct 31, 2012 11:15:52 am
      Could be henderson right back?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #64: Oct 31, 2012 11:15:53 am
      Edit : it seems Pacheco will be involved and possibly for Allen
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Oct 31, 2012 11:20:20 am
      Edit : it seems Pacheco will be involved and possibly for Allen

For our previous games we played more of a 4-2-3-1 with Pacheco the furthest of the midfield 3.
      Would like to see him get a chance with Shelvey and Henderson central.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #66: Oct 31, 2012 12:38:45 pm
      Jones Henderson Carragher Coates Robinson Allen Shelvey Cole Assaidi Downing Yesil

Seems to be doing the one doing the rounds as posted above.

Not sure what positions like! Henderson at RB is an interesting one though.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #67: Oct 31, 2012 12:45:22 pm
      Jones Henderson Carragher Coates Robinson Allen Shelvey Cole Assaidi Downing Yesil

Seems to be doing the one doing the rounds as posted above.

Not sure what positions like! Henderson at RB is an interesting one though.

If you go back to when we beat Blackburn 3-2 last season. Flannagan had a poor game and was taken off half time. Henderson I think went right-back and had a stormer of a second half. I think playing fullback would suit Henderson better than it would for Downing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #68: Oct 31, 2012 12:52:59 pm
      If you go back to when we beat Blackburn 3-2 last season. Flannagan had a poor game and was taken off half time. Henderson I think went right-back and had a stormer of a second half. I think playing fullback would suit Henderson better than it would for Downing.

Yeah Hendo played well at RB in that game. The best wide perform I've seen from him, actually.

Quick Reply