Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Coherence... please?

Read 7463 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Re: Coherence... please?
      Reply #69: Nov 17, 2012 09:50:34 am
      First off I'd like to apologise for initially leaving my post open so that it could be hijacked (like every other thread of late) and then steered into a 'look at me' excercise. That was never my intention and my post, if people had the intelligence to understand was written, was very much on point with the O.P. - i.e. coherence and consistency of approach when "judging" Brendan.

And I wouldn't disagree... apart from creating/missing more chances - we don't seem to be doing that as much but I may be wrong.

I can only speak for myself wahs but (in keeping with the 'sentiment' of the O.P.) we could postulate what would happen if each 'faction' remained consistent in their approach (If what you've suggested actually were to happen) - let's look at it:

Those, fans,  who thought Kenny should have been given another season to rectify any mistakes: - If 'they' were to remain consistent; would afford Brendan the same luxury.

Those, fans, who wanted rid of Kenny 'because the table doesn't lie/he's not the right man for the job': - If 'they' were to remain consistent; would call for Brendan's head.

Those, fans, who, let's just say, "understood" why Kenny was sacked:  - If 'they' were to remain consistent; would say how wrong it was but would, naturally enough, just accept that FSG have their reasons for sacking Brendan; remain dispassionate as ever and move on to the next rebuild.

FSG: - would, if they were to remain consistent, sack Brendan.

So getting back to my earlier reply - I'm all for consistency (but not from FSG  ;)). Oh and I'd be more than happy if all fans and FSG had a "coherent" approach to the manager: i.e. back and support him.  ;D

Good post BBB - though I suspect some of it will get lost in the noise - but this is what I was saying earlier on.....it is perfectly reasonable to support Brendan and still view the sacking of Kenny (all aspects of that from Suarez to dismissal) as a clear symptom of a primary cause for concern - particularly given our current league position.

That doesn't mean you don't back Brendan or the team but it does speak of a deep lying concern about how the club is operating and what we should expect next. Again - not an "owners" post just an acknowledgment that we currently hire and fire and there is a lack of coherence in terms of policy and direction.

It's not hanging onto the past - it's using history (recent) to inform future events. I was taught never to ignore history so I remain concerned for the future and BR until proven otherwise.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #70: Nov 17, 2012 10:33:05 am
      For FSG to remain consistent BBB, they wouldn't have to sack Brendan whatsoever.  It all depends on what KK said he could do for the club.  I have a sneaking feeling Kenny said he could get Champions League, he finished well outside that remit.  Brendan hasn't, it seems, put himself under those constrictions and so, for FSG, to remain consistent, they'd sack him if he failed to reach his targets which aren't as high as Kenny's were, if I recall Brendan actually said this would be a tough, painful, transition season and he's got that spot on thus far. 

Now I know some will say that that point of view is dumbing down expectations.  So what?  We're aren't in a fit state to challenge for the league, we've barely even bothered it in nigh on a quarter of a century, save a couple of first loser finishes.  Now FSG have made some cock-ups in their time here, but they've stated they are willing to learn and say they have the best interest of the club at heart and if that means that they want the club to be self-sufficient, then fine, I have little or no time for sugar daddy owners and never will.  I know they've trimmed the wage bill, it needed it, christ us fans moaned like F**k about deadwood clogging up the wage bill and the biggest moans were reserved for Maxi, Bellamy and Kuyt, who all wanted out of the club.  Kuyt the only one who could have maybe stayed, but he activated the clause in his contract. So with the wage bill reduced, necessary though done a tad too harshly in my book and three players gone who wanted out, situations which fans, on the whole, have always said, if they don't want to be here, let them go, yet that wasn't the reaction that occurred this time, when it was put into practice. 

I believe one thing for certain though, for fans to remain consistent, that would require a higher power and I have no belief in any version of the Sky Bully. 

I've gone on record before and said I think this is going to be a two-three year slog to get back to even bothering the Champion League spots, unless we get every transfer window spot on in the next 18 months, a nigh on impossible task and not just because of financial implications but simply because sometimes transfers don't work out as is more than apparent from 2011 window.  My biggest problem is that despite a lot spouting the patience dogma, has our fan base really got the patience for this journey?  Or maybe they want Man City/Chelsea style spending, in which case, we need something that, for me, is abhorrent and that's a sugar daddy.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #71: Nov 17, 2012 01:30:41 pm
      why is it ok for some to speculate that Kenny had promised CL football and Brendan has not its sounds a bit of a stretch on both counts.
      There are also a number of people who think this squad was a basket case and needed pulling apart.I disagree you cant have a squad of idiots and reach 2 cup finals one maybe but 2 no chance.It proved to me that the squad lacked consistency and had also focused too heavily on the wembley games in the new year I maintain our league position was compromised heavily by the cup success.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #72: Nov 17, 2012 01:50:02 pm
      why is it ok for some to speculate that Kenny had promised CL football and Brendan has not its sounds a bit of a stretch on both counts.

Why is it a stretch?  Kenny's league form after he took over from Roy was Champions League qualification worthy.  Do you think he went to the board and said buy me these players, I'll make us worse?  Now that's a stretch.  And as for Rodgers, he has always been clear about his expectations.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #73: Nov 17, 2012 03:04:02 pm
      And as for Rodgers, he has always been clear about his expectations.

Thats fair game but it may matter little. We host Wigan today and for me its a bit of a 'must win'. If we get beat then even Rodgers expectations for the season will look like a pipedream to a lot of supporters and the murmers that suggest he is not the right man will become a little more common. The defeat and the murmers will not be ideal preperation for two away fixtures at Swansea and Tottenham.

A win though will set us up nicely and keep our little unbeaten run going and set us up for our next games. If, between now and when the full time whistle blows at White Hart Lane, we have taken 7-9 points coherence for now will come naturally. On and off the field confidence will be high that a lot of points can be gained when looking at the ensuing fixtures that take us to the end of the year.

The end of the year. We keep hearing the words 'January', 'window' and 'important' quite a lot but how much depends on that window?

For me coherence for our owners depends on that window. Back the manager to the hilt and they are off the hook. Everybody will agree that the mistakes made over their first two years that John W Henry spoke about in September have been learnt from. You cannot just simply learn about a philosophy and tactical approach on paper and then identify some square and round pegs to fit in and make it function . To suit any system or tactical approach in football you need a squad that has a mix of guille, leadership, experience, ultra-fitness, tactical nouse, strength, speed, awareness, flair, arrogance, focus and so much more. I'm not the keenest follower of baseball but I do wonder how many of those qualities are present in a fully functional Baseball side's system.

I hope he knows now that what worked in Boston will probably not work over here - tweaks need to be made.

A good January for FSG will gain them a few new friends and coherence from some that at the moment do not want to give them. That will in turn take any excuse that could be used by Brendan Rodgers after a poor performance away from him when we are referring to personnel.

Or it could be the start of us not even having to think of the words 'coherence' as it could trigger off the start of something beautiful.

One thing I know is that it will bring the support back together because at the moment its all over the place. Its as if we are all walking together as best as we can but we're all adjoined only by shoe string as we walk forward. Just a couple are falling away as we continue to walk together but if we do not see any Golden Sky by the end of February then I can imagine the string will of broken in quite a few more places.

I for one am hoping to see some Golden Sky in January.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #74: Nov 17, 2012 05:12:57 pm
      We are at that part of the season where a win can give you optimistic views about climibing the league. 3-0 over wigan today give sus a nice start to the christmas run in.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #75: Nov 17, 2012 05:33:12 pm
      We are at that part of the season where a win can give you optimistic views about climibing the league. 3-0 over wigan today give sus a nice start to the christmas run in.

Indeed. Let's hope we can get on a serious run, grab a few players in January, and push on.

Quick Reply