Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Transfer Policies.

Read 4924 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Transfer Policies.
      Nov 20, 2012 06:14:34 pm
      Was having the usually weekly email discussion about Liverpool with my mate (not sure how much work he actually does with amount of emails I get of him :D).

Today's discussion started about Downing rumoured to be going to Boro on loan, and it led me to look at the money we've apparently been happy enough to just let slip through our fingers.

It makes for scary reading, I thought back to the transfer deals back when Rafa was manager and how he had a rep for bringing in alot of average players alongside the odd gem.

When you look at these transfers though, we hardly ever lost money or you can give valid reasons as to why we lost on the deal and infact made money on some, where did it all go so horribly wrong. When did we become so naive in the market.

Here are a selcetion of deal that highlight my point.

Joesmi bought for £2m, swapped for Kronkamp who was then sold for £1.5m. Tried two players neither good enough but only lost £500K

Gonzalez never really settled but we only lost £300K on the transfer.

Sissoko £5.8m, sold for £2.4m profit.

Crouch £7m, sold for £3m profit.

Barragan made £440K profit.

Leto made just over £1.1m.

Bellamy made £1.5m

Yes you can say we lost on some in those times but none would be what I can heavy losses, if you take in account the shifts they put in for the club while they were here. The two stand outs back then were probably, barring the ones that let there contract run down and left on frees.

Cisse £8m loss.
      Morientes £3.3m loss.

Fast forward a couple of years to the back end of Rafa's reign and the more recent years now it seems we bring in these average players yet ship them out along with a massive loss!

It all started around the Robbie Keane transfer horror show.

Keane £7m loss.
      Dossena £2.5m.
      Aquilani £14m.
      Poulsen £3.5m.
      Adam £3m.

Add to this the possible £15-20m loss on Carroll and £10-15m on Downing.

I wonder what's changed in such a short space of time, my only hope is that we return to being more stringent in either or scouting of players or in our negotiating with deals.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Transfer Policies.
      Reply #1: Nov 20, 2012 06:22:52 pm
      What's changed is irresponsible buying and overpaying on players.

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Nov 20, 2012 06:25:02 pm
      Mascherano £1.7 m sold for£17.6

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Nov 20, 2012 06:25:35 pm
      Mascherano £1.7 m sold for£17.6

We paid close to £17mil for Masher
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #4: Nov 20, 2012 06:27:40 pm
      I agree but also in regards of Adam, Poulsen etc.

I don't think price wise, we paid too much we just appeared to bend over if you pardon the term when it came to selling them on.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Nov 20, 2012 06:28:47 pm

Sorry i didnt see the decimel point , My point was we didnt really make alot on him my appoligies :-[
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Nov 20, 2012 06:31:24 pm
      Paid an initial £1.5m then I believe £17.1m,

The likes of Alonso, Torres, Kuyt tec, come into different category imo, weather you make big loss or big gain is out weighed with the contribution while they've donned the red shirt.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #7: Nov 20, 2012 06:33:43 pm
      I agree but also in regards of Adam, Poulsen etc.

I don't think price wise, we paid too much we just appeared to bend over if you pardon the term when it came to selling them on.

We paid money for Poulsen - that is overpaying !! £4mil for him was overpaying

Adam was worth a couple mil yet we paid nearly £8mil for him ?

Only one player has been bought recently for a value that is close or under his ability and that's Suarez.

Some of the other players its embarrassing the fees we paid
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Nov 20, 2012 06:34:40 pm
      The Masch transfers about wiped there feet but in all honesty had we last half what we paid I could take it because of what he gave us.

I'm talking the on going players who stay around a season or so at most, that we are suddenly losing millions and millions of pounds on without them even contributing anything on the field.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Nov 20, 2012 06:36:18 pm
      Rafa's transfer 'faults' were overplayed I think, he may have bought a load of average players, but only because he was not allowed to pursue his, more expensive, favoured targets. He still managed to make money on a significant number of these 'average' signings. Then toward the back end of his tenure we made significant losses on the likes of Aquilani and Robbie Keane, which skewed the equation slightly.

To say we overpaid for Carroll and Downing is stating the obvious. We'll make a loss on these two of course. Where does the blame for that lie? Well, with Kenny and Comolli, who were given the money to spend and spend it they did... Having said that I do think Henderson will come good (though we still overpaid for him too..), Enrique will turn out to be a class signing for 7m, form dip or no.

I choose to forget that Konchesky played for us and that we gave Fulham 3m + Kacinicklic and Dalla Valle.  :f_doh: Less said about Poulsen the better too...

GL - I'd include Enrique in the 'bought for value close to their ability' category too.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Nov 20, 2012 06:36:55 pm
      We paid money for Poulsen - that is overpaying !! £4mil for him was overpaying

Adam was worth a couple mil yet we paid nearly £8mil for him ?

Only one player has been bought recently for a value that is close or under his ability and that's Suarez.

I disagree George £4m at the time for a international captain, and one that was at a top club isn't overpaying. The fact when he signed he looked worth £4 not £4m is not the point I'm making.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #11: Nov 20, 2012 06:37:24 pm

Have to agree with this. We've been right mugs in the transfer market.  :(
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Nov 20, 2012 06:37:37 pm
      Yes Enrique is prob one you could include
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #13: Nov 20, 2012 06:39:23 pm
      I would include Enrique. He's shown in the last two league games how good he can be.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #14: Nov 20, 2012 06:39:32 pm
      I ve never understood why anyone would sell there best players to direct opposition in Europe or England , Surely if Real /Chelsea etc come sniffing round your players you do everything you can to keep them .....Rant over
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #15: Nov 20, 2012 06:40:20 pm
      I disagree George £4m at the time for a international captain, and one that was at a top club isn't overpaying. The fact when he signed he looked worth £4 not £4m is not the point I'm making.

It was overpaying when players like him have gone for free transfers.

We wasted money on a player who hadnt really played top flight football for over a season.

Get him for a £1mil at its not a bad deal - £4mil was overpaying hence when 12 months later we can't give him away.

He isn't the only one though
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #16: Nov 20, 2012 06:41:08 pm
      I ve never understood why anyone would sell there best players to direct opposition in Europe or England , Surely if Real /Chelsea etc come sniffing round your players you do everything you can to keep them .....Rant over

Depends how much money is offered and who the player is.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Nov 20, 2012 06:44:21 pm
      Depends how much money is offered and who the player is.

or if your just Arsenal .........Cant understand why any team would weaken there team so direct competition can strenghten there .........just an opinion
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #18: Nov 20, 2012 06:46:37 pm
      or if your just Arsenal .........Cant understand why any team would weaken there team so direct competition can strenghten there .........just an opinion

The players who have left Arsenal have wanted to go and the best thing to do with an unhappy player is sell him for the highest fee possible which is what they've done.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #19: Nov 20, 2012 06:46:39 pm

Because of the money and if the player puts in a transfer request

We sold Torres to Chelsea because of the fee offered as well as the timing of the incident.

When clubs are resigned to losing a player they then have to maximise any income they get.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #20: Nov 20, 2012 06:48:28 pm
      It was overpaying when players like him have gone for free transfers.

We wasted money on a player who hadnt really played top flight football for over a season.

Get him for a £1mil at its not a bad deal - £4mil was overpaying hence when 12 months later we can't give him away.

He isn't the only one though
      Where you getting this from? He played 25 game for Juventus the season before we signed him and had 2 years left on his contract, he was awful for us but I don't think you can use this transfer as a mark for poor valued transfers, sorry.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #21: Nov 20, 2012 06:56:07 pm
      Where you getting this from? He played 25 game for Juventus the season before we signed him and had 2 years left on his contract, he was awful for us but I don't think you can use this transfer as a mark for poor valued transfers, sorry.

I think he is a perfect example - as is Konchesky, Carroll, Downing , Henderson , Aquilani , Adam , Keane. Plus others over the years
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Nov 20, 2012 06:58:50 pm
      I think the problems started when David Moores decided to sell. 

Parry wouldn't sanction a lot of players Rafa wanted, players who went on to become high value players.  Then after the sale to H&G and Rafa falling out with Parry, we had t*thead Purslow holding the purse strings with the sole intention of selling anyone and everyone to pay the banks.

He then went along with Roy's choice of players, all aging has beens on big wages.

Let's face it, we haven't really had anyone who knows what they are doing with transfers since the days of Peter Robinson, pre EPL.

Maybe that's why we've never won the bloody thing!

Quick Reply