Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

If a player doesn't “Give 100%”...

Read 10371 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: If a player doesn't “Give 100%”...
      Reply #23: Nov 27, 2012 02:11:18 pm
      Lucky he wasn't a farmer back in the day before tractors, would of been a lot of dead mules.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Nov 27, 2012 02:12:47 pm
      We accept it from managers because they're planners for the rest of the team; it's their task to get maximum return from his resources - and if that means prioritizing, then so be it.

We don't accept it from players because they're supposed to do what their managers ask them do to - so if the manager thinks they should play against Northampton, irrespective of a said league game on Sunday, then they should trust their manager's decision and give their all (unless, of course, the manager tells them not to worry too much about a game - which I doubt they would do).

I think it's fairly obvious, to be honest... what is totally questionable is the idea of 'prioritizing', though - but if we accept that (even if just hypothetically), then the question "why we accept that from managers but not players" is a simple one IMO
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #25: Nov 27, 2012 02:27:19 pm
      Don't care about rotating players in the slightest its BR job to see in the week which players are fit enough to play.

What does annoy me are players not giving 100% and even worse is when players are picked on name alone (Stevie)

If I were BR I'd tell every player that if their performances dropped they would be playing in the reserves.

Players are only as good as their last performance
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #26: Nov 27, 2012 03:00:31 pm
      There's nothing i hate more then seeing a player wearing the red and not giving his all an example from the Swansea game....balls coming out of the air to Glen if he does not get to it before it bounces its going to bounce over him i can see this why does Glen not see it ? The answer is Glen does see it just his heart  is just not in it like me as an avid red is !
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #27: Nov 27, 2012 03:02:45 pm
      He misjudged the bounce ? That's all

For the all examples that could be used that seems a very strange one
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Nov 27, 2012 03:02:58 pm
      There's nothing i hate more then seeing a player wearing the red and not giving his all an example from the Swansea game....balls coming out of the air to Glen if he does not get to it before it bounces its going to bounce over him i can see this why does Glen not see it ? The answer is Glen does see it just his heart  is just not in it like me as an avid red is !

Glen has been one of our better players this season with exceptional performances. Don't forget the angle you watch the game from is a lot better to judge the flight of a ball immediately than it is when you're playing and for the life of me I have no idea what passes you're referring to either.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #29: Nov 27, 2012 03:47:26 pm
      Simple: It's a squad game, not a team one. If we were to only ever play our best XI, they'd be burned out quickly and we'd be trounced from every competition. You assume that every player in the squad is good enough to be here and wants to play. When they're selected, the least you expect is for them to give 100%. If fatigue were never an issue, I doubt managers would ever rotate. But as everyone is human, there are legitimate reasons for playing a "weakened" side.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #30: Nov 27, 2012 04:23:01 pm
      I think my views on subjects such as this are well known, but if not I'll explain it here.

Play your best XI whenever possible. Get games won then if you want to "rest" (christ I hate that term) players then bring them off when the game is won or at least looking comfortably won. I don't see the point in making players travel here there and everywhere, train with the squad and put them on the bench in games if they're being "rested".

Winning breeds confidence and continuing to win can only bring better performances. This whole stop start bollocks is what costs us because we don't know what team is playing when. And I can almost feel for certain players when they get put in the "lesser" competition games. I can almost understand why Skrtel would not want to perform against Young Boys at Anfield (I know he did and done ok but I could almost understand why he wouldn't). He'd be sat there thinking, Agger, Johnson, Enrique, Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez get "rested" or on  the bench at least yet he has to start when Coates is sat there. That must be a kick in the bollocks for any player. The reason I can't fully understand it is because at the end of the day it's still a game for Liverpool Football Club and therefore it means a F***ing lot to a lot of people.

And that's why I think we should have our best side out whenever possible. It's a game for Liverpool Football Club and I don't care if it's a do or die match in the League against Everton or third round of the League Cup against Torquay, I want Liverpool to win and if we don't then it F***ing crucifies me. I don't agree with putting emphasis on one game over another, especially from managers who say "one game at a time". I don't agree with players who only turn up for certain matches. Any game for Liverpool Football Club should be taken as seriously as possible.

And yes I'll do my token gesture of harking on about the good old days, days that in fact I didn't witness first hand. But in those days, the players were not super fit human beings but rather heavy smokers, drinkers and chippy diets. They weren't playing on carpet like pitches but rather mud baths that looked more like Stanley Park than a football field. They weren't trained in state of the art conditions but instead one wall with a few numbers on at Melwood. They weren't treated by the finest medical facilites around but instead they had Bob Paisley, a sponge and a bucket of water. They weren't pampered little fairies where a perfectly good challenge resulted in a red card but instead playing against some vicious cu*ts like Ron Harris and Billy Bremner who could kick them to kingdom come and still not get a free kick. They weren't playing with a feather like ball but instead a proper arl fashioned leather casey. They weren't travelling in first class jumbo jets that get them to their destination within hours but instead travelling on modes that sometimes took days to get them to and from European ties. And yet they still managed to play most of the games during a season without needing a "rest".

The problem today is the players are F***ing pampered little cu*ts who play two games within a week and all of a sudden need a rest because they know they'll be playing after their rest anyway. Something else which didn't happen in the good old days, when you were out back then you had to earn your place back which is why nobody wanted to be injured. The other problem is the money that ruins today's game. Because of the lack of prize money in the domestic cup competitions and the Europa League, the only thing clubs (and some sections of "big" clubs fan bases) are arsed about is getting into that top four and/or a decent Champions League run which is why you get these "rests" for players in certain matches.

And today's footballers and managers don't live in the real world. If Bill Shankly or Bob Paisley picked a "weakened" side for any game and we lost then they'd get berated by the fans who lived on the same street as them because they lived within the West Derby area. The players mixed with the common Scouse folk and were told to their face if they didn't put in the effort. The famous story of Elmyn Hughes taking a rolocking off a fan during a night out with his missus because we didn't win 4-0. If any manager or player of the past decade or so doesn't put in the effort, then they just swan off to their fancy homes in Formby or wherever in their latest car and don't have to mingle with the everyday common fan.

It's too easy for players and managers this day and age to not put the effort in. Even mickey mouse clubs are "resting" players for the League Cup in order to enhance their chances of staying in the League or in some cases win promotion from the Championship. When lower league sides are "resting" players you know you have got some serious F***ing problems with the sport.

Ultimately until the money that is currently ruining football is sorted out, the sport will continue to die. And no matter what anybody says to me, I will still be of the belief that "resting" players is F***ing about with this club. It's like saying a match for Liverpool Football Club isn't important enough. Well I'm sorry, but every game for Liverpool Football Club is important to me and I want to see it treated as so.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #31: Nov 27, 2012 04:52:45 pm
      And that's very well put Billy, totally agree with every word of it  mate  :gt-happyup:
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #32: Nov 27, 2012 05:35:48 pm
      It is a great post and the sentiment is perfectly spot on and agree with the money and the pampered players etc

But the game has changed as much as we all hate it, it's a different animal compared to those days. I'm not saying its better now its just different and every club rest players to ensure they are fully fit and at the top if their game fitness wise. If you don't do it you will end up playing players who are at 80% fitness against players who are at 100% fitness.

The reason why players in past years played every game is because everyone was at the same level. Squads were smaller and less subs were made so less players by the clubs were used.

It's modern football and its run by money - because there is so high a price on success then teams will ensure they are at their best in every single game both ability wise and fitness wise.

I think we would all prefer to play Suarez in every game but its realistically not practical to do that anymore.
      « Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012 05:59:00 pm by George Lucas »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: Nov 27, 2012 06:03:15 pm
      It is a great post and the sentiment is perfectly spot on and agree with the money and the pampered players etc

But the game has changed as much as we all hate it, it's a different animal compared to those days. I'm not saying its better now its just different and every club rest players to ensure they are fully fit and at the top if their game fitness wise. If you don't do it you will end up playing players who are at 80% fitness against players who are at 100% fitness.

The reason why players in past years played every game is because everyone was at the same level. Squads were smaller and less subs were made so less players by the clubs were used.

It's modern football and its run by money - because there is so high a price on success then teams will ensure they are at their best in every single game both ability wise and fitness wise.

I think we would all prefer to play Suarez in every game but its realistically practical to do that anymore.
      I think you should realise that the reserves used to play their football to the same pattern as the first team,so if a player was injured the reserve could step up .In my opinion a player who is rested should be demanding to know why he is not selected,just like Luis Suarez was doing last season when he got subbed.For a player who is tired the manager should show him the RED SHIRT and explain how lucky he is to be able to play for a team like LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.I still go for playing the strongest 11 in every game and then if a player is not up to scratch replace him with one of the subs.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #34: Nov 27, 2012 06:08:34 pm
      I think you should realise that the reserves used to play their football to the same pattern as the first team,so if a player was injured the reserve could step up

And that happens now - not sure what it has to do with playing your strongest in every game

.In my opinion a player who is rested should be demanding to know why he is not selected,just like Luis Suarez was doing last season when he got subbed.For a player who is tired the manager should show him the RED SHIRT and explain how lucky he is to be able to play for a team like LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.I still go for playing the strongest 11 in every game and then if a player is not up to scratch replace him with one of the subs.

It's not the players that are doing the resting or asking to be rested - it's the managers looking after the squad
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #35: Nov 27, 2012 06:17:00 pm
      And that happens now - not sure what it has to do with playing your strongest in every game

It's not the players that are doing the resting or asking to be rested - it's the managers looking after the squad
      I much prefer the DLS version about playing the strongest 11 to your version,after all he tells it as it is.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Nov 27, 2012 06:21:58 pm
      I think my views on subjects such as this are well known, but if not I'll explain it here.

Play your best XI whenever possible. Get games won then if you want to "rest" (christ I hate that term) players then bring them off when the game is won or at least looking comfortably won. I don't see the point in making players travel here there and everywhere, train with the squad and put them on the bench in games if they're being "rested".

Winning breeds confidence and continuing to win can only bring better performances. This whole stop start bollocks is what costs us because we don't know what team is playing when. And I can almost feel for certain players when they get put in the "lesser" competition games. I can almost understand why Skrtel would not want to perform against Young Boys at Anfield (I know he did and done ok but I could almost understand why he wouldn't). He'd be sat there thinking, Agger, Johnson, Enrique, Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez get "rested" or on  the bench at least yet he has to start when Coates is sat there. That must be a kick in the bollocks for any player. The reason I can't fully understand it is because at the end of the day it's still a game for Liverpool Football Club and therefore it means a f**king lot to a lot of people.

And that's why I think we should have our best side out whenever possible. It's a game for Liverpool Football Club and I don't care if it's a do or die match in the League against Everton or third round of the League Cup against Torquay, I want Liverpool to win and if we don't then it f**king crucifies me. I don't agree with putting emphasis on one game over another, especially from managers who say "one game at a time". I don't agree with players who only turn up for certain matches. Any game for Liverpool Football Club should be taken as seriously as possible.

And yes I'll do my token gesture of harking on about the good old days, days that in fact I didn't witness first hand. But in those days, the players were not super fit human beings but rather heavy smokers, drinkers and chippy diets. They weren't playing on carpet like pitches but rather mud baths that looked more like Stanley Park than a football field. They weren't trained in state of the art conditions but instead one wall with a few numbers on at Melwood. They weren't treated by the finest medical facilites around but instead they had Bob Paisley, a sponge and a bucket of water. They weren't pampered little fairies where a perfectly good challenge resulted in a red card but instead playing against some vicious cu*ts like Ron Harris and Billy Bremner who could kick them to kingdom come and still not get a free kick. They weren't playing with a feather like ball but instead a proper arl fashioned leather casey. They weren't travelling in first class jumbo jets that get them to their destination within hours but instead travelling on modes that sometimes took days to get them to and from European ties. And yet they still managed to play most of the games during a season without needing a "rest".

The problem today is the players are f**king pampered little cu*ts who play two games within a week and all of a sudden need a rest because they know they'll be playing after their rest anyway. Something else which didn't happen in the good old days, when you were out back then you had to earn your place back which is why nobody wanted to be injured. The other problem is the money that ruins today's game. Because of the lack of prize money in the domestic cup competitions and the Europa League, the only thing clubs (and some sections of "big" clubs fan bases) are arsed about is getting into that top four and/or a decent Champions League run which is why you get these "rests" for players in certain matches.

And today's footballers and managers don't live in the real world. If Bill Shankly or Bob Paisley picked a "weakened" side for any game and we lost then they'd get berated by the fans who lived on the same street as them because they lived within the West Derby area. The players mixed with the common Scouse folk and were told to their face if they didn't put in the effort. The famous story of Elmyn Hughes taking a rolocking off a fan during a night out with his missus because we didn't win 4-0. If any manager or player of the past decade or so doesn't put in the effort, then they just swan off to their fancy homes in Formby or wherever in their latest car and don't have to mingle with the everyday common fan.

It's too easy for players and managers this day and age to not put the effort in. Even mickey mouse clubs are "resting" players for the League Cup in order to enhance their chances of staying in the League or in some cases win promotion from the Championship. When lower league sides are "resting" players you know you have got some serious f**king problems with the sport.

Ultimately until the money that is currently ruining football is sorted out, the sport will continue to die. And no matter what anybody says to me, I will still be of the belief that "resting" players is f**king about with this club. It's like saying a match for Liverpool Football Club isn't important enough. Well I'm sorry, but every game for Liverpool Football Club is important to me and I want to see it treated as so.

Every f**king word of this is true.

Before anyone else down the East Lancs thinks that they are are something more than great pretenders it will take another 88 years before any club can claim they were the most successful English club of that century.

Our success came from coming first and that could only happen by putting out on the field and playing our  juggernaut teams that we did week in and week out. Giants of players and I'm not talking Big Ron.

OUR European success came by way of the travels as mentioned. Hostile crowds. Even more break your legs ,spit in your face continental defenders.
      We were the European pioneers and we won our Cups in Euroland by way of ruthless ...no prisoner... knock out rounds.

WE WERE the last team standing ...... not trying to work out the best point average in the group.

Some of our winning players were cracking in 60 plus games a season without  one moan.
      Check some records.

We all need to wake up and smell the bullshit permeating.
      I'm sick of waiting for tomorrow to arrive.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012 06:37:15 pm by eurored »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #37: Nov 27, 2012 06:25:47 pm
      The players from the 60's were fit but not to the standard of todays "monitored" players. But they also knew if they got injured they would lose their place becuase if you got into the side and played well you stayed their and I think that helped players a lot.
      Today you can score a hatrick on Saturday and be out of the team on WEDS.
      I believe in playing your strongest possible team and players know if they do well they keep the shirt.Take Downing or Henderson playing in the Europa league they know full well that no matter what happens they will be out come the weekend(Yes I know about last weekend but thats was a one off) that must be a real downer for a player knowing the manager does not rate you.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #38: Nov 27, 2012 06:28:44 pm
      I much prefer the DLS version about playing the strongest 11 to your version,after all he tells it as it is.

And I'm telling how it is right now and has been for the last two decades or so.

Rafa was the master of resting and rotating

We won the CL because he rested players to allow them to 100% fit for CL matches.

I guess no one minded players getting rested then

We got to number one in Europe because Rafa managed his squad
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #39: Nov 27, 2012 06:29:48 pm
      Phil Neal played 365 consecutive games for Liverpool between 1975 and 1983 when an injury made him miss just the one game.....f***in shirker.
      Now 1975 to 1983 was a pretty good time for LFC no wonder he didnt want to miss a game.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #40: Nov 27, 2012 06:36:53 pm
      He did - nearly 30 years ago.

Things have changed

Kenny rested and changed his team dependant on the game

So did Rafa

It helped us win trophies.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #41: Nov 27, 2012 06:52:55 pm
      Obviously some people dont get the ignore button.
      Manager do have their go to players and it must piss of some lads who dont seem to get the nod and are then expected to be world beaters in one off games.
      I am not a fan of rotation playing the strongest team until a player either needs a break or is injured but I bet 100% not a single player would admit to being tired and needing a rest if they thought there was someone who could take their position.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #42: Nov 27, 2012 06:58:37 pm
      It's the same as some don't get it's no longer the 80's.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #43: Nov 27, 2012 07:00:14 pm
       :action-smiley-060:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #44: Nov 27, 2012 07:20:05 pm
      He did - nearly 30 years ago.

Things have changed

Kenny rested and changed his team dependant on the game

So did Rafa

It helped us win trophies.
      It may be 30 years ago George ,but winning is winning no matter when ,i mean they have it so much harder today ,all that training ,shopping ,spa,s ,all the stodgy food they got to eat ,fck sake i dont know how they manage to compete ,shocking really.
      A manager can rest players that is so ,but there is a time and place the trick is to get it right ,i am with Billy on this one though best available team always for me.Great post Billy .
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #45: Nov 27, 2012 07:28:48 pm
      It may be 30 years ago George ,but winning is winning no matter when ,i mean they have it so much harder today ,all that training ,shopping ,spa,s ,all the stodgy food they got to eat ,fck sake i dont know how they manage to compete ,shocking really.
      A manager can rest players that is so ,but there is a time and place the trick is to get it right ,i am with Billy on this one though best available team always for me.Great post Billy .

So what did you think when Rafa was resting players to enable us to be fresh for the CL and then to help us win it ?

Quick Reply