Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Our best 11 with Lucas back and inform??? Who drops??

Read 3905 times
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Our best 11 with Lucas back and inform??? Who drops??
      Nov 29, 2012 03:31:33 pm
      With Lucas on the bench this weekend who will drop off from the bench and when he comes back into that tantalising form he showed over the last 2 years who will drop from the starting 11.
      Cant see him dropping Allen. Maybe Stevie playing behind suarez further up the field??? Thats what Id hope.

So many ifs and buts here but with him coming back you'd think we would look a hell of alot better with a 4 2 3 1 formation which worked so well for us that 2008-09 season under benitez. I know BR is no Rafa but always thought that formation worked for us, especailly with stevie behind Torres.

Present team we have with Lucas in form this is what I think is the best lineup.

Reina

Wisdom     Skrtel                        Agger     Glen

lucas                          gerrard

sterling                  shelvey                     jose

suarez

Wont touch on the substitutes as I really think we have noone that could change a game. Sahin shows hes too slow for the prem and the more physical teams. Henderson, well that names speaks for itself as well as downing. Allen lack of strength in the tackle and his lack of vision going forward is worrying.
      TBH Suso is the only sub Id like to see come off the bennch for say shelvey late on. Vision and willing to take on a player.

Just finished watching the saints press conference as well and BR talking about as football club we want to be in the top half!! Thats unacceptable for me. We are not stoke city and if this is what BR is comfortable with, well we are not moving forward.
      BR great character but seems very lethargic and nonchalent in every one of his press conferences of recent. Accepting our position and results.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Re: Our best 11 with Lucas back and inform??? Who drops??
      Reply #1: Nov 29, 2012 07:25:47 pm
      ;D..guess noone
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,705 posts | 7164 
      Reply #2: Nov 29, 2012 07:27:41 pm
      With Lucas on the bench this weekend who will drop off from the bench and when he comes back into that tantalising form he showed over the last 2 years who will drop from the starting 11.
      Cant see him dropping Allen. Maybe Stevie playing behind suarez further up the field??? Thats what Id hope.

So many ifs and buts here but with him coming back you'd think we would look a hell of alot better with a 4 2 3 1 formation which worked so well for us that 2008-09 season under benitez. I know BR is no Rafa but always thought that formation worked for us, especailly with stevie behind Torres.

Present team we have with Lucas in form this is what I think is the best lineup.

Reina

Wisdom     Skrtel                        Agger     Glen

lucas                          gerrard

sterling                  shelvey                     jose

suarez

Wont touch on the substitutes as I really think we have noone that could change a game. Sahin shows hes too slow for the prem and the more physical teams. Henderson, well that names speaks for itself as well as downing. Allen lack of strength in the tackle and his lack of vision going forward is worrying.
      TBH Suso is the only sub Id like to see come off the bennch for say shelvey late on. Vision and willing to take on a player.

Just finished watching the saints press conference as well and BR talking about as football club we want to be in the top half!! Thats unacceptable for me. We are not stoke city and if this is what BR is comfortable with, well we are not moving forward.
      BR great character but seems very lethargic and nonchalent in every one of his press conferences of recent. Accepting our position and results.
      Take Luis out and where do we score the goals.A few years ago not decades just a few years we scored over 100 goals in a season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #3: Nov 29, 2012 07:30:08 pm
      Hard to say. I don't think Allen will be dropped, though he could do with a few games on the bench. I also don't think Sahin was brought in to sit on the bench, so I think Brendan might try something like this:

Reina
      Skrtel        Agger
      Johnson                        Enrique
      Lucas
      Allen        Sahin
      Gerrard                              Sterling
      Suarez

Problem is, I don't think Gerrard is capable of playing in the front three. What I can forsee is something a bit like how we played vs West Brom when Lucas was fit:

Lucas
      Gerrard        Allen
      Sterling                          Enrique
      Suarez

Figuring that Wisdom will be RB and Glen at LB.

Overall, I think we'll shift to a 1-2 midfield triangle once Lucas is fit as opposed to the 2-1 we play with now. He's such a quality DM he can defo do that role, with Allen tracking back more than Gerrard.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 29, 2012 07:33:14 pm
      Hard to say. I don't think Allen will be dropped, though he could do with a few games on the bench. I also don't think Sahin was brought in to sit on the bench, so I think Brendan might try something like this:

Reina
      Skrtel        Agger
      Johnson                        Enrique
      Lucas
      Allen        Sahin
      Gerrard                              Sterling
      Suarez

Problem is, I don't think Gerrard is capable of playing in the front three. What I can forsee is something a bit like how we played vs West Brom when Lucas was fit:

Lucas
      Gerrard     Allen
      Sterling                      Enrique
      Suarez

Figuring that Wisdom will be RB and Glen at LB.

Overall, I think we'll shift to a 1-2 midfield triangle once Lucas is fit as opposed to the 2-1 we play with now. He's such a quality DM he can defo do that role, with Allen tracking back more than Gerrard.
      I agree with what your saying about sahin and I had high hopes for him but he to me should only be involved in games where he has more time on the ball. Not being pressure in the middle. You can see hes not up for the physical game unfortunately.
      Very sad as i personally thought that was a gem of a signing for the year.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Reply #5: Nov 29, 2012 07:37:03 pm
      Id really like to see Allen in a more advanced roll. He does pass the ball very well on the ground and he is quick. Lucas coming back in may present that position for him.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #6: Nov 29, 2012 07:40:45 pm
      Id really like to see Allen in a more advanced roll. He does pass the ball very well on the ground and he is quick. Lucas coming back in may present that position for him.

I think that was the original plan mate

BR was talking about it a couple months back

It was originally meant to be one stitting ( Lucas ) with two ahead of him ( Gerrard,Allen etc ) but the injury to Lucas changed his thinking to give two protecting. As you say hopefully a returning Lucas might realise him into the role he played for Swansea.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 29, 2012 07:46:25 pm
      I think that was the original plan mate

BR was talking about it a couple months back

It was originally meant to be one stitting ( Lucas ) with two ahead of him ( Gerrard,Allen etc ) but the injury to Lucas changed his thinking to give two protecting. As you say hopefully a returning Lucas might realise him into the role he played for Swansea.
      Well lets hope so mate. Need something different. Allen hasnt had a shot for the season I dont think. The lad had 4 goals and 4 assists last year for Swansea.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #8: Nov 29, 2012 07:47:20 pm
      Here in lies the problem Brendan knows he'll face. Lucas has to start, Gerrard's the captain and is apparently undroppable even with his attitude and performances atm saying otherwise, he brought Allen in and clearly sees him as a first 11 regular, we fought hard to get Sahin in ahead of Arsenal and he is more than capable of starting for us, and Shelvey and Suso are showing through both good performances and determination that they want to be in there aswell.

For me:
                             Reina
                Glen Skrtel Agger Enrique
                            Lucas
                       Sahin Shelvey
               Sterling Suarez Assaidi/Suso

Give Gerrard and Allen a break, we've become quite reliant on them and they're running out of puff, let them fight back in to the team over time.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Nov 29, 2012 07:47:57 pm
      Well lets hope so mate. Need something different. Allen hasnt had a shot for the season I dont think. The lad had 4 goals and 4 assists last year for Swansea.

The last one I can remember was an extremely speculative effort vs West Brom at the end of the 3-0 game. He didn't come close haha
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #10: Nov 29, 2012 07:48:14 pm

He did - Britton did his protecting for him
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2012 07:49:42 pm
      I would like to see this

Wisdom---Skrtel---Agger---Johnson
      ------------------Lucas-------------------
      ---------Gerrard-------Allen-------------
      Sterling--------Suarez---------Enrique

IMO Gerrard only has about 5 games to prove he can still play that role before Shelvey needs to get more looks.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2012 07:50:10 pm
      If all fit and in form its Lucas Allen and Shelvey for me.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 29, 2012 07:59:12 pm
      If all fit and in form its Lucas Allen and Shelvey for me.
      Is gerrard on the front 3???
      shelevy is a little hot and cold for me but think thats cause he in and out of the team. Hes showed he can score goals. The lad has a beautiful shot!
      Love to see him get a good run. Damn we have given Hendo a long enough run lets try someone else! Imagine how shelvey would look if he was given a run like hendo had last year. Alot of players for that matter.
      Lads i just want to see us competitive with points on the board. We are still the only team in the prem not to score in the last 15mins of a game.
      How many games in that 08-09 season did we score in the last 15 mins. My goodness that was an exciting season. Give me some of that back!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2012 08:01:28 pm
      On current form Gerrard wouldn't get in my side.

Sterling Suarez Suso front three.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 266 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 29, 2012 08:04:58 pm
      On current form Gerrard wouldn't get in my side.

Sterling Suarez Suso front three.
      Yeah just had to ask. Alot of guys are under the opinion he has to play but Im with you on this one. Never one to question his drive or motive but he does look out of sorts. The guy is a legend but his form has taken a big drop recently. Much similar to Rio, sad to say. But again hes been in a much more defensive roll. Love to see him more advanced as well. Hes one of the few game changers on our team right now. One thing I would definately do is take away his corner kick roll however. His delievery from those has been awful. Freekicks have been decent on the delivery but shooting wise he is looking very out of sorts.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Nov 29, 2012 11:51:58 pm
      If it's based on the last couple of line ups then it has to be Henderson that drops out the team IMO.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: Nov 30, 2012 01:26:32 am
      I would have

Reina
       Johnson       Skertl               Agger             Enrique

Lucas   Gerrard

Allen
                     Suso                                 Sterling
                                          Suarez

I'd rather see Allen playing keep ball further up the park
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #18: Nov 30, 2012 09:57:27 am
                          Pepe

Johnson  Skrtel Agger  Enrique

Lucas     
                               Allen
                      Shelvey

Gerrard    Suarez   Sterling

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Nov 30, 2012 12:09:27 pm
      -------------------------Reina
      Wisdom------Agger----------Skrtel--------Enrique

--------------------------Lucas
      ------------------Allen----------Gerrard

Sterling---------------------------------------Johnson
      -------------------------Suarez

Think Glen is so much better going forward than Enrique and would trust him to finish if he gets a chance. Also means that he's got free rein to march up and it doesn't leave us exposed at the back.
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #20: Nov 30, 2012 12:15:04 pm
      Does nobody else think we have looked far more solid at the back and creative going forwards with the 3 centre backs?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #21: Nov 30, 2012 12:26:58 pm
      Does nobody else think we have looked far more solid at the back and creative going forwards with the 3 centre backs?

Not the last time we played it no

It looked solid against the Bitters for one half but then looked awkward against Newcastle 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Nov 30, 2012 12:31:42 pm
                                 Reina
                   Skrtel      Lucas      Agger                 
         Johnson        Allen   Sahin        Enrique
                      Sterling          Suso*
                                 Suarez

* could be Gerrard or even Shelvey, I'm so pissed off with Gerrard though that I'm saying Suso for the moment.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #23: Nov 30, 2012 12:34:21 pm
      Lucas in the back 3 ?!

Is that a mistake Diego ?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Nov 30, 2012 12:47:34 pm
      Not a mistake, to be honest I'm just trying to think of different things :D

I'm thinking more like Busquets play for Barcelona, depending on the opposition he sometimes drops even deeper than the CBs in order to collect the ball... I would expect him to step out of defense when we have the ball though... you can put him alongside Allen in midfield if you want :D

The idea is to give greater freedom to the fullbacks and also enable Allen to be more proactive.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Nov 30, 2012 12:49:45 pm
      I was thinking we should try playing with 2 strikers to ease the load... oh wait a second.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #26: Nov 30, 2012 12:51:10 pm
      Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Sterling, Suarez, Enrique.

That is our best XI up until January imo. While Gerrard may not be in the best of form, he is still a player that is creating chances, unlike so many of our other players. He's still a player that takes a risk with a through ball, goes for the killer pass, is easily our best finisher, and he still offers us a lot on set plays.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Nov 30, 2012 12:55:52 pm
      Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Sterling, Suarez, Enrique.

That is our best XI up until January imo. While Gerrard may not be in the best of form, he is still a player that is creating chances, unlike so many of our other players. He's still a player that takes a risk with a through ball, goes for the killer pass, is easily our best finisher, and he still offers us a lot on set plays.

He's all that, true, but he's also lethargic these days and the game just passes him by in midfield. That's why if we really need Gerrard, I would try him upfront, where his flaws wouldn't be so exposed. Suarez and Sterling would need to do a lot of pressing and cover a lot of ground, but I think it's possible.

Reina
                   Skrtel      Lucas      Agger                 
         Johnson        Allen   Sahin        Enrique
                   Suarez  Gerrard   Sterling
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #28: Nov 30, 2012 01:00:51 pm
      I think that with Lucas back we could play with 3 at the back. That would be a back 3 of Skrtel..Coates..Agger. I would have Jose LWB and Glen RWB. I would give Gerrard another 3 games to find his form and motivation. I also think having Lucas back will help Stevie. Allen to partner Gerrard but pushed forward a bit. If given the chance he could link up with Suarez and Sterling. He has a great first touch and 9 times out of 10 will make a pass. This would mean Sterling play more centrally with support from Glen and Jose. Get a couple of players in January and we have a very good starting 11. Having Lucas back is a major boost.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #29: Nov 30, 2012 01:51:09 pm
      Hope the owner don't visit this forum or I can see now they very busy calculate the price of Steven Gerrard if sale him to American club or the like of Anzhi, it's really excellent job improve a wage bill  :f_tongueincheek:

If Lucas come back fully fit and in good form then I'd like to see this lineup :

Reina

Skrtel                  Agger
                     Johnson                                                        Enrique
                                                        Lucas

Gerrard            Sahin 

Suso                                                          Sterling

Suarez                                                     

Who drops?  If it's me I'll put Allen on the bench.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #30: Nov 30, 2012 02:47:13 pm
      For me it's a midfield 3 of Lucas, Allen and Shelvey/Gerrard. On current form I think Shelvey should get a few games ahead of Stevie.

Think Sahin was brought in to cover in the European games and the domestic cups so our first choice/permanent midfielders can have a rest.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Nov 30, 2012 05:12:34 pm
      I would rather see Gerrard on the bench in all fairness. Personally I would have a midfield three of Lucas-Allen-Sahin with Suso and Sterling out on the wings. I'd entertain the idea of Shelvey swapping with Allen or Sahin but I'm unpleasantly surprised by how much I think those 4 midfielders are more useful than Gerrard at the moment.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #32: Dec 06, 2012 02:14:39 pm
      Allen - all day long - not convincing at all.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #33: Dec 06, 2012 02:37:34 pm

I agree Allen is in a poor run of form but do you not think he deserves a few starts in his natural position now Lucas is back? After all he wasn't bought to play defensive midfield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #34: Dec 06, 2012 02:47:32 pm

Thought he was pretty good against saints in a more advanced role, just as BR said he would be.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Dec 06, 2012 04:49:03 pm
      I think this is our best lineup:

Reina

Johnson         Skrtel            Agger                Enrique

Sahin              Lucas

Shelvey                  Gerrard                         Sterling

Suarez

Shelvey tucked in more. Sahin hasn't done much to earn the role, but I know how great he was at Dortmund as the more creative of a defensive two.

Quick Reply