Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears

Read 49826 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears
      Reply #621: Dec 16, 2012 12:46:26 pm
      I think we just need to rethink the way we play.

Were not scoring a lot of goals.

Were vulnerable to the counter attack.

We do have a tendency to concede every now and then.

Go back to basics, sort the back 4 out and offer them some protection from midfield.

Stop the Stewart Downing at Left back bollocks, if Enrique is not fit we have Robinson.

Best thing to do when you're not scoring a lot of goals is make yourself hard to beat and look to win games by pinching the odd goal.

All the pretty football with no end product won't win you league's and champions league football, nor will it help to attract the players to secure any of the latter.

Its a bit of a conundrum really, but one that could be sorted with a few tweaks here and there.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #622: Dec 16, 2012 12:46:50 pm
      Too depressed to talk... still, just want to say one thing:

I want to kill bloody Reina, so Rodgers won't choose him over Jones ever again.
      After just 6 posts I think you just lost any street cred you might have had
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #623: Dec 16, 2012 12:52:15 pm

But it's a fantastic philosophy and foundation to build your club's dynasty on. The more we keep at it, the more second nature it will become, and the benefits will start to bear fruit. Like the gaffer said, we must believe in what we are trying to do here. 

I say no need to change/panic and stick to our guns.

Admirable sentiments overall mate - but equally one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I hope you're right because I don't think we're going to transform this squad in January.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #624: Dec 16, 2012 12:54:40 pm
      After just 6 posts I think you just lost any street cred you might have had
      I think he just lost it full stop and the chance of ever being taken seriously again.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #625: Dec 16, 2012 12:57:28 pm
      To be honest Rush the way we are playing is kamakazi football.

We haven't got a squad full of goal scorers.

Yet our defense is holding a high line, our midfield and full backs are pushing right up on the opposition and leaving our two central defenders exposed.

Understandable if our side had lots of goals in them but we don't so its not exactly like we can adopt the mentality 'if you score, we'll score more goals than you'.

It kind of reminds me of Kevin Keegan at Newcastle but his approach was cavalier, because they did have goals in them our approach is just naïve.

I'm not just reflecting on yesterdays game either.

I'm taking into context our whole season thus far.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #626: Dec 16, 2012 12:58:11 pm
      Stop the Stewart Downing at Left back bollocks, if Enrique is not fit we have Robinson.

I'd play him on the right against Fulham. He was sh*te there against West Ham in an attacking sense but at least tracked back for Johnno whilst he was causing allsorts of trouble up top. Soon as Enrique went off Downing went to LB and Joe Cole just didn't give the cover down the right that he did.

Play Downing? F***ing hell.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #627: Dec 16, 2012 01:03:45 pm
      No, I think the blame lies squarely and firmly on the shoulders of two central defenders and one or two midfielers who went missing. And I'm talking basics here, nothing clever or complicated, just players switching off.

These are professional footballers, and I don't buy for a second that they don't know how to cope with the standard 'counter attack'. A tactic that's been employed by teams all over the world for decades. Against Villa,

Or too many players playing in key positions not pulling their weight, and failing to do the most basic of things, like tracking back and having a go at tackling.

But we are strong enough at the back, and we are more than equipped to deal with the way Villa came at us yesterday - what cost us was seasoned professionals letting themselves and everyone else down.

But it's a fantastic philosophy and foundation to build your club's dynasty on. The more we keep at it, the more second nature it will become, and the benefits will start to bear fruit. Like the gaffer said, we must believe in what we are trying to do here. 

If we'd have cut out the nonsense at the back, we win that game 1-0 and everyone's happy. Thing is, we've never needed a 'backs to the wall' style of play, because our way of playing doesn't invite that sort of pressure on our defence anymore. We dominate other teams. When's the last time you saw us defending for our lives under the gaffer, with our backs against the wall, the way we did against AC Milan in Istanbul? Say what you like about how we play, but I've never seen us once being put to the sword. Maybe against Arsenal at home, but even that wasn't a torrent of goal mouth attacks, they just played us off the park. So as I said, yesterday was down to school boy errors and nothing to do with how we play as a team.

I say no need to change/panic and stick to our guns.

Disagree for the reasons given above.

How do you train/coach/manage these issues though mate, after all that is Brendan's job.

See I don't get that top professionals just switch off or take their eye off the boil if they understand the job they're being asked to do.  As you say they are school boy mistakes but these are seasoned internationals.

I can't fathom how you're saying it was simple mistakes that cost us but the next you're saying we shouldn't change anything.

Surely if we don't address the simple mistakes we'll keep losing games.  How can that be the right thing to do?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #628: Dec 16, 2012 01:15:18 pm
      Admirable sentiments overall mate - but equally one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I hope you're right because I don't think we're going to transform this squad in January.

Yesterday's result was all you need to know about the mammoth task confronting the manager, we are reaping the results of a faulted system and you can put as many interpretations to that as takes your wish.
      If the resources and the will were indeed available it is extremely doubtful anyway that anything could affect the situation in one window, assuming of course the arorementioned were part of the itinerary.
      We have been placated with excuses and intention that have passed their sell by; the club is sinking into obscurity.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #629: Dec 16, 2012 01:59:17 pm
      Not wanting to appear negitave,but I agree with Stuey's post.
      It is going to take more than one transfer window to sort are problems out. If we buy in January,all it is going to do is paper over the cracks.

The manager needs huge funds to get the squad up to challenging for a top 4 place,and I dont think FSG are prepared to do that.

So that leaves us in an impossible place in my opinion.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #630: Dec 16, 2012 02:06:30 pm
      I can't fathom how you're saying it was simple mistakes that cost us but the next you're saying we shouldn't change anything.

We cut out the mistakes, but we don't change our playing philosophy.

Seasoned professionals are not immune from lapses in concentration. How else do you explain Benteke walking through us? Nobody has a perfect game, never have, never will, and sometimes crazy things happen, but yesterday was nothing to do with the way we play collectively. It was due to individual errors.

Rhetorical questions; was the gaffer to blame for our defence switching off? Was he to blame for Suarez cocking up and giving the ball away that directly lead to a goal?
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2012 02:34:46 pm by Rush »
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #631: Dec 16, 2012 02:18:03 pm
      How does the training system works? Do we have a post mortem after every match with the players to study the mistakes and areas that we have to improve, feedback what are the obstacles they face in the game, how they want their fellow team mates to respond/react when he's in possession? Or we go back onto the training pitch on a Monday morning as if nothing has happened? It may be as good as that, as we kept seeing the same mistakes/problems game after game.

Were there any team talk before and after every training session, opinion from players and ideas from everyone how we can be better, what combos to be used under different situations and we try it out on the pitch until near perfection? Or was it just pass and pass and pass the ball till time is up for training and everyone goes home till we meet again tmro? From the percentage of possession we had, it may be as good as that.  I hate to say this, but if we look at how the scums play their game, I believe every attacking move has been rehearsed and rehearesed and rehearsed and when their wingers is in possession, he knows very well who is running into the box and from which direction and  where to float the ball to, typical Liverpool of the 70s and 80s.

Whereas us, Sterling is launching the ball into the box at random, in the hope that someone meets the ball and when he dribbled to the touchline, no one cuts back to receive the ball. We are totally void of ideas how to outfox opposing defenders inside the box.

It's hurts to see Rush at the stand, he looked sad while his facial impression as if telling us he knows a thing or two how we can improve. Bloody get him to sit beside BR and provide some valuable advice. Suarez could learn a thing or two from the great RUSH to rush to the right location at the right time without over dribbling and to shoot with greater accuracy. No one say that he must dribble from avery corner of the pitch into goal.

What do I know, I'm no manager, only observing as a layman. Apology to everyone if I've over elaborate on the matter. I'm very frustrated and dissapointed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #632: Dec 16, 2012 02:34:35 pm
      That's right, we cut out the mistakes, but we don't change our playing philosophy.

Seasoned professionals are not immune from lapses in concentration. How else do you explain Benteke walking through us? Nobody has a perfect game, never have, never will, and sometimes crazy things happen, but yesterday was nothing to do with the way we play collectively. It was due to individual errors.

Rhetorical questions; was the gaffer to blame for our defence switching off? Was he to blame for Suarez cocking up and giving the ball away that directly lead to a goal?

But we're not cutting out the mistakes mate, that's the point I was trying to make.  They've been happening all season, not always the same players but nevertheless "simple mistakes" are costing us points.

According to football the Brendan way, the team is a well oiled machine that knows exactly what each part does and where they fit in.  From what I keep seeing, that isn't happening and that to me is what he should be addressing.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #633: Dec 16, 2012 02:59:13 pm
      But we're not cutting out the mistakes mate, that's the point I was trying to make.  They've been happening all season, not always the same players but nevertheless "simple mistakes" are costing us points.

According to football the Brendan way, the team is a well oiled machine that knows exactly what each part does and where they fit in.  From what I keep seeing, that isn't happening and that to me is what he should be addressing.
      My point, is that the way we play isn't the problem, it's individuals who keep making daft mistakes. That's not due to the way we play, that's down to the person involved.

That individual would make the same mistakes more or less regardless of if you played diamond formation, keeping a high line, or hoofball.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #634: Dec 16, 2012 03:05:22 pm
      How does the training system works? Do we have a post mortem after every match with the players to study the mistakes and areas that we have to improve, feedback what are the obstacles they face in the game, how they want their fellow team mates to respond/react when he's in possession? Or we go back onto the training pitch on a Monday morning as if nothing has happened? It may be as good as that, as we kept seeing the same mistakes/problems game after game.

Were there any team talk before and after every training session, opinion from players and ideas from everyone how we can be better, what combos to be used under different situations and we try it out on the pitch until near perfection? Or was it just pass and pass and pass the ball till time is up for training and everyone goes home till we meet again tmro? From the percentage of possession we had, it may be as good as that.  I hate to say this, but if we look at how the scums play their game, I believe every attacking move has been rehearsed and rehearesed and rehearsed and when their wingers is in possession, he knows very well who is running into the box and from which direction and  where to float the ball to, typical Liverpool of the 70s and 80s.

Whereas us, Sterling is launching the ball into the box at random, in the hope that someone meets the ball and when he dribbled to the touchline, no one cuts back to receive the ball. We are totally void of ideas how to outfox opposing defenders inside the box.

It's hurts to see Rush at the stand, he looked sad while his facial impression as if telling us he knows a thing or two how we can improve. Bloody get him to sit beside BR and provide some valuable advice. Suarez could learn a thing or two from the great RUSH to rush to the right location at the right time without over dribbling and to shoot with greater accuracy. No one say that he must dribble from avery corner of the pitch into goal.

What do I know, I'm no manager, only observing as a layman. Apology to everyone if I've over elaborate on the matter. I'm very frustrated and dissapointed.

Give BR time. I really hope he will rectify the errors. This is his first experience in top level. He is not a SAF or Mourinho with tons of experience. After all this is just second premier league season as a manager. Everyone learns with mistakes. He is young , he will learn.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #635: Dec 16, 2012 03:05:38 pm
      My point, is that the way we play isn't the problem, it's individuals who keep making daft mistakes. That's not due to the way we play, that's down to the person involved.

That individual would make the same mistakes more or less regardless of if you played diamond formation, keeping a high line, or hoofball.

So we get rid of the players making the mistakes?  Agger?  Skrtel?  Gerrard?  Lucas?  Allen?  Pepe?  Suarez?  Downing? (ok give you that one)  Raheem?  Henderson?

I could go on but then we would have replaced the whole team/squad.  Or is that what you're trying to say we need?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #636: Dec 16, 2012 03:08:52 pm
      Give BR time. I really hope he will rectify the errors. This is his first experience in top level. He is not a SAF or Mourinho with tons of experience. After all this is just second premier league season as a manager. Everyone learns with mistakes. He is young , he will learn.

My issue with this though is, will he learn because so far he's not.  So if "he's" not, when do we decide "he" isn't the answer?
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #637: Dec 16, 2012 03:12:05 pm
      My issue with this though is, will he learn because so far he's not.  So if "he's" not, when do we decide "he" isn't the answer?
      May be after one season. If he is starting to rectify his mistakes,then i am happy with it.

At least for next game, i want him to drop Allen.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #638: Dec 16, 2012 03:22:59 pm
      May be after one season. If he is starting to rectify his mistakes,then i am happy with it.

If we keep dropping points and heading towards relegation he needs to act soon mate.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #639: Dec 16, 2012 03:23:40 pm
      So we get rid of the players making the mistakes?  Agger?  Skrtel?  Gerrard?  Lucas?  Allen?  Pepe?  Suarez?  Downing? (ok give you that one)  Raheem?  Henderson?

I could go on but then we would have replaced the whole team/squad.  Or is that what you're trying to say we need?
      I'm saying that individual mistakes will happen regardless of what you do. You cannot account for human error, and it's daft errors, or lack of concentration, that hurt us yesterday.

Villa simply capitalised ruthlessly

In short, the players have no one to blame but themselves. They know how to defend, how to tackle, how to track back, but they did not do that for the majority of the game. I think Villa only had about 7 attempts on goal, but scored 3 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #640: Dec 16, 2012 03:27:19 pm
      I'm saying that individual mistakes will happen regardless of what you do. You cannot account for human error, and it's daft errors, or lack of concentration, that hurt us yesterday.

Villa simply capitalised ruthlessly

In short, the players have no one to blame but themselves. They know how to defend, how to tackle, how to track back, but they did not do that for the majority of the game. I think Villa only had about 7 attempts on goal, but scored 3 times

They've been hurting us all season mate, not just yesterday.  Once or twice I can accept, continually doing it is unforgivable and Brendan, as the Manager needs to do something about it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #641: Dec 16, 2012 03:29:30 pm

Yeah but you know in your heart it won't F***ing happen.

"The welsh Xavi" is Brendan's love child.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #642: Dec 16, 2012 03:34:42 pm
      If we keep dropping points and heading towards relegation he needs to act soon mate.
      I don't think that's a possibility.I believe we will not go beyong 12th spot this season.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #643: Dec 16, 2012 03:38:21 pm
      Yeah but you know in your heart it won't f**king happen.

"The welsh Xavi" is Brendan's love child.

Well if he continues to perform like this, voices will raise for sure. Last we didn't had anyone to play in hendo's position. Now we have sahin, hendo, and even Gerrard to play in his position. He should drop him till he regains his form. If not, Allen will be here unless he got sold, BR will not be here.
      Same happened to Downing,Hendo with Kenny. I wish that will not happen.

Quick Reply