Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4267252 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #16882: Aug 15, 2014 02:13:50 pm
      This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 1m
      BR: The spotlight is on the team, we won’t be relying on Daniel Sturridge to score goals. The group has been developing and working well.

This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 2m
      BR: This summer will probably be our biggest transfer window for the next two years.

BR: The players we’ve brought in will allow us to deal with injuries and more games. We needed to bring in players this summer.

BR: We’re nearly done with transfers. There’s one or two more things to complete. We needed to develop the squad this year, add more depth.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16883: Aug 15, 2014 02:20:27 pm
      This is really the only type of comment that gets me peeved at Rodgers:

BR: We’ll look to improve that top end of the field (attack), but if the right player doesn’t come along, we’ll play with what we’ve got.

I don't like the whole "We'll play with what we've got" part. Well of course we will if someone effs up the transfer, but the point is that you want someone else to play in attack, so go and get them, none of this "we'll play with what we've got stuff", just throw cold water on things in my opinion.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16884: Aug 15, 2014 02:27:11 pm

BR: We’ll look to improve that top end of the field (attack), but if the right player doesn’t come along, we’ll play with what we’ve got.

I don't like the whole "We'll play with what we've got" part. Well of course we will if someone effs up the transfer, but the point is that you want someone else to play in attack, so go and get them, none of this "we'll play with what we've got stuff", just throw cold water on things in my opinion.

I'd agree except he said if the right player doesn't come along.
      What's the point of buying someone who doesn't fit the style of play or simply isn't good enough?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16885: Aug 15, 2014 02:29:59 pm
      What's the point of buying someone who doesn't fit the style of play or simply isn't good enough?

Maybe it's the "come along" part. As if we are waiting on players to come knocking down our door. Reus to Atletico? I don't think so, go get him Ayre!!!!!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16886: Aug 15, 2014 02:30:20 pm

You know what the point is Swab, it shuts up moany, knickers in a twist, tantrum throwing fans.  ;)
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #16887: Aug 15, 2014 02:32:08 pm

I personally disagree.  If the right players aren't available then there is no point in spending money just for the sake of it. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16888: Aug 15, 2014 02:38:48 pm
      I personally disagree.  If the right players aren't available then there is no point in spending money just for the sake of it. 

My point isn't about the tactic of player acquisition, anyone that's read my posts would know I'm not for just buying someone just to spend money. My point is about the comment itself as a bit of a downer, especially this late in the window. LFC supporters aren't stupid...we know that we need at least one good (if not great) striker and BR obviously agrees, I'd just like him to say something instead like "We are going to do everything we possibly can to bring in another forward attacker". I know it's just a semantics thing and it's not that big of a deal, I guess I'm just starting to get irritated with the lack of progress once again with our attacking options, especially considering out whopping 70,000 net spend.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #16889: Aug 15, 2014 02:51:01 pm

I agree Harry but the right players will always be available at a cost and while I wouldn't want us to spend money just for the sake of it this summer above all others we do have the money to compete for virtually any player.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #16890: Aug 15, 2014 02:52:05 pm
      My point isn't about the tactic of player acquisition, anyone that's read my posts would know I'm not for just buying someone just to spend money. My point is about the comment itself as a bit of a downer, especially this late in the window. LFC supporters aren't stupid...we know that we need at least one good (if not great) striker and BR obviously agrees, I'd just like him to say something instead like "We are going to do everything we possibly can to bring in another forward attacker". I know it's just a semantics thing and it's not that big of a deal, I guess I'm just starting to get irritated with the lack of progress once again with our attacking options, especially considering out whopping 70,000 net spend.

I think Remy was supposed to be that "good (if not great) striker" but the medical fell through.  Beyond that, I don't know how many good (or great) strikers who would fit into our team have actually been available this summer.  Perhaps Diego Costa, but it seems he was always set on moving to Chelsea.  I guess that lad Luis Suarez would have been a good fit, but it's hard to compete with Barca for players  >:D

I agree Harry but the right players will always be available at a cost and while I wouldn't want us to spend money just for the sake of it this summer above all others we do have the money to compete for virtually any player.

I do agree with this.  I think one of Muller (as a perfect option) or Tevez (as a slightly more cost effective option) would have been perfect replacements for Suarez.  It can't hurt to offer Munich 50M for Muller or 20M to Juve for Tevez.  The worst they can do is say no....
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16891: Aug 15, 2014 02:58:49 pm

I would think it is probably out of his hands now mate. Presumably he (the committee) will have decided who he would like to bring in, up to Ayre now to get a deal done if he can.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16892: Aug 15, 2014 03:01:52 pm
      Maybe it's the "come along" part. As if we are waiting on players to come knocking down our door. Reus to Atletico? I don't think so, go get him Ayre!!!!!!

I think you're being a bit harsh over what is simply a figure of speech mate.
      But if Reus goes to Atletico and we don't at least put a bid in for him, I'd be disappointed
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16893: Aug 15, 2014 03:02:38 pm
      You know what the point is Swab, it shuts up moany, knickers in a twist, tantrum throwing fans.  ;)

:lmao:
      You're a bad man  :laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16894: Aug 15, 2014 03:11:45 pm

I do agree with this.  I think one of Muller (as a perfect option) or Tevez (as a slightly more cost effective option) would have been perfect replacements for Suarez.  It can't hurt to offer Munich 50M for Muller or 20M to Juve for Tevez.  The worst they can do is say no....

See that is the point right there...instead of "inquiring" about a player (ala Cavani and Falcao), just make a bid.

My wife's mother used to say "bulls***" walks, it takes money to buy whiskey".

Clubs that supposedly don't want to let players go, will often sing a different tune when they have a real tangible offer in hand.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #16895: Aug 15, 2014 03:38:24 pm
      Meant to point this out to JD, 0.7 million is 700k not 70k. No biggie, just have too much time on my hands.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16896: Aug 15, 2014 03:56:13 pm
      Meant to point this out to JD, 0.7 million is 700k not 70k. No biggie, just have too much time on my hands.

I actually saw 70,000 quoted by someone on Twitter as well. Not saying you aren't right, that's where I got my number.

I find it's easier to regurgitate crap I read on the Internet vs, learning for myself ;D
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16897: Aug 15, 2014 04:24:53 pm
      What a transfer window it's been so far. The team is ready for the next few years, it'd be a pity if we screwed up in the one area that needs depth considering Suarez leaving.
      Rodgers is saying one or two more to cap it all off so I'm excited, it seems it mightn't be a player/s that we were expecting from previous weeks.
      We've done a total strengthening job with young talent. future windows we'll only need to cherry pick the odd players.
      Rodgers and co have done what Van Gaal couldn't... revamped the whole squad and got all his main targets.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #16898: Aug 15, 2014 04:41:51 pm
      What a transfer window it's been so far. The team is ready for the next few years, it'd be a pity if we screwed up in the one area that needs depth considering Suarez leaving.
      Rodgers is saying one or two more to cap it all off so I'm excited, it seems it mightn't be a player/s that we were expecting from previous weeks.
      We've done a total strengthening job with young talent. future windows we'll only need to cherry pick the odd players.
      Rodgers and co have done what Van Gaal couldn't... revamped the whole squad and got all his main targets.

Hopefully the 2 are a backup GK and another quality ST.  If we get these 2 players in then we will have a very strong side full of quality and youth.  As you say, this will set us up well to be able to cherry pick 1 or 2 top notch players in the transfer windows moving forward.  Very exciting times!!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #16899: Aug 15, 2014 04:47:25 pm

Mate, if Liverpool have no intentions of finding a like-for-like replacement for Luis Suarez, does that not tell you that we wanted to sell him regardless of whether he wanted to stay or not? The fee was significant, and negotiations were seemingly smooth. If we had desperately wanted him to stay, surely then our priority would have been to try and keep him (which we didn't), or find someone who could replace him (which we haven't).

Rodgers knew the quality of Suarez but he also knew the long term importance of adding quality depth to this squad (which personally I feel would have been impossible without the LS departure). I think he was happy to sacrifice that world class forward for a better balanced squad - and that's what he gone and done. By no means do I have anything against this vision of his. If it wins us the title then I'm all for it! .. but in response to your last sentence, no - I do not think it'll be the player/s we were all expecting. Someone who can step in for Sturridge is what I'm expecting.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16900: Aug 15, 2014 04:59:12 pm
      Mate, if Liverpool have no intentions of finding a like-for-like replacement for Luis Suarez, does that not tell you that we wanted to sell him regardless of whether he wanted to stay or not? The fee was significant, and negotiations were seemingly smooth. If we had desperately wanted him to stay, surely then our priority would have been to try and keep him (which we didn't), or find someone who could replace him (which we haven't).

Rodgers knew the quality of Suarez but he also knew the long term importance of adding quality depth to this squad (which personally I feel would have been impossible without the LS departure). I think he was happy to sacrifice that world class forward for a better balanced squad - and that's what he gone and done. By no means do I have anything against this vision of his. If it wins us the title then I'm all for it! .. but in response to your last sentence, no - I do not think it'll be the player/s we were all expecting. Someone who can step in for Sturridge is what I'm expecting.

I actually thought he was going to go before the WC thing, seems negotiations with Barcelona (or their interest was known) were going on before his ban, plenty of time to look around in case it happened.
      I'd rather we made the whole team stronger than blowing it all on two superstar players or whatever.
      It's one of them, I don't think there is any replacement for Suarez, I never expected that, just some added quality up front would suffice.
      All in all I think we've got some real talent but I'm still surprised about the striker conundrum, it should have been planned out better. Maybe, strikers can mess around and ask for more because they always have, because they score the goals.

You say the sacrifice in trade for a stronger team, I agree with that philosophy.
      It was to highly pivoted on one player and whether he'd get banned or whatever.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #16901: Aug 15, 2014 05:51:03 pm
      Well that interview didn't exactly have him exuding confidence in the acquisition of a striker did it? I'm sorry, but if he thinks we can achieve top four with the strike force we have...he's kidding himself. 

He's got two weeks left to come to his senses and round off a relatively successful recruitment campaign. Would rather it be sooner than later though. Two weeks of anticipation is not something I'm relishing. Lets hope Studge doesn't get injured in the meantime eh?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16902: Aug 15, 2014 05:52:21 pm
      Well that interview didn't exactly have him exuding confidence in the acquisition of a striker did it? I'm sorry, but if he thinks we can achieve top four with the strike force we have...he's kidding himself.

Faith at it's finest.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #16903: Aug 15, 2014 05:53:19 pm
      I will find it utterly bizarre if Reus does sign for Atletico. I'll find it even more bizarre if we do not make at least an enquiry or put in a bid.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #16904: Aug 15, 2014 06:01:46 pm
      See that is the point right there...instead of "inquiring" about a player (ala Cavani and Falcao), just make a bid.

My wife's mother used to say "bulls***" walks, it takes money to buy whiskey".

Clubs that supposedly don't want to let players go, will often sing a different tune when they have a real tangible offer in hand.

You think firing off off random bids left, right and centre without knowing if we have a chance of actually buying the player first will end up being good for club morale?

And what else would you expect the manager to say  - "if these transfers don't happen then I don't think the current squad is up to the task"?

Quick Reply