Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4217711 times
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #19619: Mar 18, 2015 01:39:37 pm
      Sport Bild have linked us with a move for Kyriakos Papadopoulos (remember him?) for around £5m (his contract expires in June 2016).

It looks like Bayer Leverkusen will also be in for him in the summer but he was certainly someone Brendan and the Committee were after before they snapped up Sakho and Ilori so there could be some truth to the rumour (or just lazy journalism).
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #19620: Mar 18, 2015 01:42:42 pm
      Sport Bild have linked us with a move for Kyriakos Papadopoulos (remember him?) for around £5m (his contract expires in June 2016).

It looks like Bayer Leverkusen will also be in for him in the summer but he was certainly someone Brendan and the Committee were after before they snapped up Sakho and Ilori so there could be some truth to the rumour (or just lazy journalism).

Any news about his performances after his injuries mate?
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #19621: Mar 18, 2015 01:55:06 pm
      Any news about his performances after his injuries mate?

He has only played 36 games over the past 3 seasons due to niggling injuries and trying to find some form.

He is on loan at Bayer Leverkusen at the moment and has played 15 games and has now forced his way into the team and has looked very good. Bayer Leverkusen DO NOT have an option to buy so he returns to Schalke at the end of the season and its up to them then whether they sell him or keep him on.

It also sounds like Roberto Di Matteo wants to keep him although his hands may be tied due to KP being out of contract in 2016 when they may lose him for nothing.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19622: Mar 18, 2015 07:05:24 pm
      He has only played 36 games over the past 3 seasons due to niggling injuries and trying to find some form.

He is on loan at Bayer Leverkusen at the moment and has played 15 games and has now forced his way into the team and has looked very good. Bayer Leverkusen DO NOT have an option to buy so he returns to Schalke at the end of the season and its up to them then whether they sell him or keep him on.

It also sounds like Roberto Di Matteo wants to keep him although his hands may be tied due to KP being out of contract in 2016 when they may lose him for nothing.

We've had too many injury prone defenders for the last few years, I'd steer clear simply because of that.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 741 
      Reply #19623: Mar 18, 2015 08:47:47 pm

True. But Moreno has that pace and energy Luis Enrique used to have.  Now hes had some injuries, bulked up and lost some pace.

I still think he could come back to his previous glory. It just depends if his injuries have affected him or if he gets enough playing time
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #19624: Mar 18, 2015 08:49:21 pm
      True. But Moreno has that pace and energy Luis Enrique used to have.  Now hes had some injuries, bulked up and lost some pace.

I still think he could come back to his previous glory. It just depends if his injuries have affected him or if he gets enough playing time

José... why is everyone calling him Luis recently? I know we miss Suarez... but.. :laugh:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 741 
      Reply #19625: Mar 18, 2015 09:00:44 pm
      José... why is everyone calling him Luis recently? I know we miss Suarez... but.. :laugh:

just havin a laugh cause someone else called him Luis
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #19626: Mar 18, 2015 09:39:45 pm
      just havin a laugh cause someone else called him Luis

It's wrecking my head lately! :laugh:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19627: Mar 18, 2015 09:55:17 pm
      So James Pearce confirms we're seriously interested in Milner.

Meaning next season we could have a midfield four of Allen, Henderson, Lallana and Milner.

Ok then.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19628: Mar 18, 2015 10:04:20 pm

Meaning next season we could have a midfield four of Allen, Henderson, Lallana and Milner.

Ok then.

milner is 29 and on over 100 grand a week, don't see a place for him
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #19629: Mar 18, 2015 10:10:18 pm
      I've read somewhere that we agreed to sign Papadopulos from Leverkusen, he's a great defender, was almost signed by Chelsea but missed almost 2 years with knee injuries sadly.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 741 
      Reply #19630: Mar 18, 2015 10:12:54 pm
      ugh why milner.

he doesnt even have a best position hes so generic. why pay 100+k for a generic ass player like that.

Did u see him get nutmegged by messi? ;D embarassing

https://vine.co/v/OV2mpm5jgbB
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #19631: Mar 18, 2015 10:13:00 pm
      I've read somewhere that we agreed to sign Papadopulos from Leverkusen, he's a great defender, was almost signed by Chelsea but missed almost 2 years with knee injuries sadly.

Weren't we close to signing him also before the injuries?

Yeah, just googled it, we were going to pay 13-15m supposedly. And he's going for around 5m now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19632: Mar 18, 2015 10:43:00 pm
      Ibra links were fun. Only good thing would be being able to use Ibra and Aguero on FIFA Ultimate team!

Other than that he isn't the profile we need. He's outstanding, but he doesn't have the pace or pressing to succeed for our system.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #19633: Mar 18, 2015 10:43:36 pm

So this is the first you've read about this guy? Looked a beast but a dodgy knee injury was the problem.
      I've just realised I'm in the transfer speculation thread so a hundred possibilities will happen and we'll sign people no one expected.
      How old are you GeorgeRed if you don't mind me asking?
      I'm guessing 22?
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #19634: Mar 19, 2015 09:13:14 am
      Links for Roberto Firminho and Carlos Bacca

Who is better?

For me I'd take Bacca he scores more goals, firminho's record in front of goal is not good enough for money they apparently want,we could and should do better after all I thought it's an out and out number 9 we are after this summer not another number 10 style player which we all always linked to by the bucket load.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #19635: Mar 19, 2015 09:22:39 am

Ok then.

Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho and Markovic can be technically under wingers/wide forwards. We would probably need 6 CMs, given the injury histories of Allen and Lucas. Hendo, Lucas, Allen, Can, Milner (if we're getting him) and we'll probably splash the cash on one more but hopefully not one like Alberto, more like Schneiderlin/Nainggolan type.

Yep, we're talking about 25mil cash upfront! >:D
      FALIRO
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts | 15 
      Reply #19636: Mar 25, 2015 01:12:34 pm

He is perhaps the only player of Greek origin who is an actual blue chip player. I would like to see his passport just to check he is actually Greek, because he is the antithesis of a typical Greek player. Would not look out of place on a side like Real Madrid.
      Huge pace, physically extremely strong, pro-active, strong tackler but not reckless. When he has played DM he has looked imposing and can spread the play exceptionally well with both feet. At CB he takes care of everything in the air and controls the area. Any game he plays in, you notice him. He imposes his game on the play.

The negatives.. Some nasty injuries - many brought about because he gives everything. His last injuries however are not as serious, even though they kept him out. He had a dislocated shoulder last year for example.

Overall, this is a blue chip player - most teams who include him in their 11 raise a couple of levels. Before his injuries at Schalke he was a cult player, his development has been remarkable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkLJQu-fHw8#ws
      « Last Edit: Mar 25, 2015 01:34:34 pm by FALIRO »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19637: Mar 25, 2015 01:52:43 pm
      Young player? Check. Out of favour with his parent club? Check. Mad glint in his eye that suggests he's about to commit GBH on Smalling after being tackled? Check. Yup, looks to fit the profile.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #19638: Mar 25, 2015 01:55:04 pm
      I'm a huge fan of Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

I remember reading in World Soccer magazine around 8 years ago or so (KP was aged 15) when he was profiled as 'one for the future' and how Alex Ferguson went out to meet his father regarding his potential. He then broke into Olympiakos' team and moved to Germany. I don't think Alex ever went in for him in the end but he had always been noted as a player with huge potential even aged just 15.

Just edited to add this link (I do have a good memory) - http://www.aloadofw**k.com/articles/why-man-utd-are-sign-kyriakos-papadopoulos-after-four-years-watching-3252551#.VRK-WvmsV9k

Shock Manchester United interest for Kyriakos Papadopoulos?

Not really. Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, has known about the 20 year-old for the past four years, and made enquiries about him after an outstanding U19 European Championships in 2008 with Greece.

In his homeland, the Schalke defender has been big news ever since he made his first team debut as a 13 year-old at fourth division outfit Svoronos. In 2007, at 15, Papadopoulos was becoming the youngest player to play in the Greek First Division with Olympiakos, which had snapped him up from Svoronos barely months earlier.

Papadopoulos has been big news for years and unlike so many of his peers, his family background has helped him to cope with the scrutiny that comes with being a child prodigy. Mum Elena was a Greek hurdles champion, Dad Nikos an accomplished footballer who went on to become president of Svoronos.

"They are my biggest critics," Papadopoulos said with a smile. "They've always been there for me."

Now he's part of a Greece squad which has defied the experts to reach the quarterfinals of the European Championships and after a successful year with Schalke, he has Ferguson again considering a bid for his services.

"It's an honour for me to hear that such a big club likes my football, but at the moment I don't know anything about it," he smiled when discussing the reports last week.

"Of course I would like to someday play for Manchester United, but I am a player of Schalke and I am focused on them."

In Germany, Papadopoulos is known as a 'take no prisoners' defender, where even in training he can terrorise teammates. English scouts liken him to United captain Nemanja Vidic and his clashes with Borussia Dortmund centre-forward Robert Lewandowski last season were among the campaign's highlights.

Despite his progress, Papadopoulos continues to push himself.

"In this league, you can never relax," he said before joining Greece's Euros squad. "In every season, you have to prove yourself again. In fact, in every game you cannot relax. Only a few players can consider themselves a guaranteed starter.

"I know what I have to work on, but I'm very ambitious."

Papadopoulos, standing at 6ft, can also play in midfield, though is adamant where he prefers to play: "I play where the coach tells me. But if I could choose, I prefer playing as a central defender."

But it’s not just on the pitch where Papadopoulos' focus lies. He has also been passionate about learning the local language and set himself a goal to conduct a full interview in German this summer.

"Coming to Schalke has been a big change for me. Sure, it looks like everything has gone smoothly. But there's a lot to do with that, not the least the way the club has helped me to adapt."

Schalke, having burned off competition from Liverpool and Tottenham to sign Papadopoulos two years ago, know interest in their top prospect is again emerging and have already tied the youngster to a new deal to 2015 - without a buyout clause, which they pushed hard to secure.

But should Ferguson make a firm move for Papadopoulos, Schalke management know they're in no position to resist any serious offer. And after a watching brief of four years, Ferguson may now feel it is the right time to sign the 20 year-old, just as he's becoming known across Europe.
      FALIRO
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts | 15 
      Reply #19639: Mar 25, 2015 01:58:12 pm
      The most fascinating story concerning his potential were when he trialed for Espanyol at 15 years old.

''Papadopoulos was invited on trial to train with the RCD Espanyol youth team during the pre-season, with a view to giving the player a role in the team. Papadopoulos, however, performed well enough for the club's management staff to fast-track him, promoting him to the reserve team, and then once more to the first team, offering him a contract immediately.''

Olympiakos got wind of this and then convinced his father he would be better off at Olympiakos and they were successful in their counter offer...

I remember watching him at Olympiakos when he was still young. He was already as good as most the CBs at 17...if not better. He was also hugely ambitious.

I have to say, at €6000000 - it is bargain of the century provided he stays fit.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #19640: Mar 25, 2015 02:11:18 pm
      The most fascinating story concerning his potential were when he trialed for Espanyol at 15 years old.

''Papadopoulos was invited on trial to train with the RCD Espanyol youth team during the pre-season, with a view to giving the player a role in the team. Papadopoulos, however, performed well enough for the club's management staff to fast-track him, promoting him to the reserve team, and then once more to the first team, offering him a contract immediately.''

Olympiakos got wind of this and then convinced his father he would be better off at Olympiakos and they were successful in their counter offer...

I remember watching him at Olympiakos when he was still young. He was already as good as most the CBs at 17...if not better. He was also hugely ambitious.

I have to say, at €6000000 - it is bargain of the century provided he stays fit.

I agree. I was happy to pay £16m two summers ago.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #19641: Mar 25, 2015 04:41:14 pm
      hasnt this lad had some major injuries the past 2 seasons, do we really want to spend more money on another CB?

i think BR will give his signings the time he's not seen Ilori yet and Lovern just needs to sort his head out i'm sure we wont be after another CB but never say never i suppose.

Quick Reply